Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nintendo is bringing back the NES — NES Classic Edition  (Read 108347 times)

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Re: Nintendo is bringing back the NES — NES Classic Edition
« Reply #280 on: April 13, 2017, 04:10:21 pm »
I assume they are gearing up for the Super Nintendo Classic.  While I much prefer the SNES to the NES I am most certainly in the minority.  Nintendo should milk the NES Classic market for all it is worth before moving on.  My non-gaming friends are more interested in the NES Classic than they are the Switch or the SNES Classic.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:55:20 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #281 on: April 13, 2017, 08:09:10 pm »
I assume they are gearing up for the Super Nintendo Classic.  While I much prefer the SNES to the NES I am most certainly in the minority.  Nintendo should milk the NES Classic market for all it is worth before moving on.  My non-gaming friends are more interested in the NES Classic than they are the Switch or the SNES Classic.

SNES Classic would be nice. I would like an HDMI hookup. the output from the SNES just does not look great on a modern TV.

I have a SNES I have had since I was a kid and the plastic hasn't even Bominated itself to that lovely yellow color.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:51:51 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #282 on: April 14, 2017, 09:36:19 am »
Camped outside my Target this morning (it's Good Friday, what the hell else am I supposed to do? work?).  They opened the other side first, and I was fourth in line for 3 NES Classics. 

Oh well.

:'(

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #283 on: April 14, 2017, 09:41:29 am »

SNES Classic would be nice. I would like an HDMI hookup. the output from the SNES just does not look great on a modern TV.

I have a SNES I have had since I was a kid and the plastic hasn't even Bominated itself to that lovely yellow color.

I still have mine as well but would like the HDMI hookup as well.

If they would have made enough classics to meet demand I had hoped to pick one up on sale or off CL eventually.  Now they will be collectors items I guess.    :dunno

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #284 on: April 14, 2017, 03:55:03 pm »
If you use the rgb out on the snes and then put it through a  conveter box to hdmi it looks really good. 

Thinking on it a bit more the reason they stopped making it might be piracy.  Nintendo prints money by selling you old games on the virtual console for a minimum of 5 bucks a pop.  Since it can be hacked so easily they might be worried that it'll eat into the profit when the VC comes to the switch. 

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #285 on: April 14, 2017, 04:44:23 pm »
The eager little boy collector in me kinda wants to go out and find one. However I had one in my card at best buy and left it in favor of just loading roms on an android TV box.

At the end of the day I would put it in a box like the 4 original xbox consoles I have.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #286 on: April 14, 2017, 05:27:24 pm »
So yes for an Ouya and no for an actual games console.  We've got to get you better taste.  ;)

Saw a CNN news piece about the switch, it broke an all time sales record for Nintendo last month.  So they don't need the money I guess, but damn if I had a product that people were desperate to buy I would keep making it until they weren't at least. 

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #287 on: April 14, 2017, 06:29:45 pm »
So yes for an Ouya and no for an actual games console.  We've got to get you better taste.  ;)

Saw a CNN news piece about the switch, it broke an all time sales record for Nintendo last month.  So they don't need the money I guess, but damn if I had a product that people were desperate to buy I would keep making it until they weren't at least.

LOL, the NES Classic is essentially an OUYA with a custom OS and less features . . . and a really short cord.  >:D

I don't get the impression that Nintendo cares at all about the NES Classic as a product. It was a means to get Hype prior to the switch and now it can fall into obscurity.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #288 on: April 14, 2017, 09:23:51 pm »
You keep telling yourself that man.  Maybe it'll ease the pain a bit longer. 

There's something more to it than just a stop gap.  Getting buttons and stuff like that molded within the tolerances they needed at and the quality level that the shell is would have taken a decent amount of R&D.  Ditto with the gamepad. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #289 on: April 15, 2017, 01:40:09 am »
The flip the power button, load a game, and shut it off cleanly are the essential parts of the experience I've been hammering on for years.  Yes, if you're willing to wade through a river of filth, you can play NES games.  It's been like that since the mid-90s.  Well done.

And yes, I made my mother go to the Walmart in her Podunk retirement town today, and despite what brickseek said, they haven't seen them in months.

:'(

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #290 on: April 15, 2017, 03:05:19 pm »
Well some are saying now that the statement actually said there aren't any more plans to continue production *this year* and the famicom mini in Japan is still in production. 

Hopefully we'll start seeing clone systems pretty soon regardless.  Like I mentioned earlier, there isn't anything particularly special about the hardware inside the thing.  There was board darn near identical that are available right now for less than 30 dollars.  The key is getting that front end ported or getting someone to make a clone of it from scratch. 

ark_ader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #291 on: April 18, 2017, 02:45:48 am »
Why cannot somebody 3d scan a mini nintendo case, call it something else and make inserts for a pi zero and powered usb hub and print them out?

It's naughty, but you know the chinese knock off outfits probably have them in the works.  I don't know about the controllers, but I saw a couple of usb replicas going cheap at gamestop.  BYOAC right?

Too late: https://all3dp.com/raspberry-pi-nintendo-nes-case/
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 05:09:45 am by ark_ader »
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2023, 07:43:50 am
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #292 on: April 18, 2017, 05:43:20 am »
So glad I got one now. My wife paid over the odds for it on Fleabay for Christmas and I did wonder if it was worth it but I KNOW I'd be cross now if I couldn't get one!

Strange decision but that's already been said many times. I wonder if they will make and stockpile them while they aren't available and re-launch for Christmas? It's not like a new gen console where if you miss 6 months you're too late as people have moved on or bought your rivals consoles. Retro remains retro and the demand will stay more or less the same.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #293 on: April 18, 2017, 11:09:56 am »
Too late: https://all3dp.com/raspberry-pi-nintendo-nes-case/

What we want is the operating system and GUI.  The cases are covered.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #295 on: April 18, 2017, 02:20:39 pm »
Looks like they just took the 500 in 1 famiclones that have been for sale for years and crammed it inside a poorly made mini nes shell. 

Even though you'd have to deal with a cruddy version of Linux, a retro pie would probably be a better option than that. 

Btw... did you guys see the new orange pi wireless version?  It's basically a pi zero w in terms of footprint and layout but sports much better specs and sells for less than 10 bucks.  I believe that it uses a chip from the same family as the nes classic, so it could potentially be a good platform to port the nes classic's os.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #296 on: April 18, 2017, 05:30:44 pm »
These also exist....

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/FAMILY-COMPUTER-HDMI-CONSOLE-SYSTEM-2-WIRELESS-CONTROLLER-BONUS/522056768

Now I sit here and decide if I want to dump $130 on a Famicom Classic from Japan.

:banghead:

bigster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2022, 08:24:40 pm
« Reply #297 on: April 18, 2017, 10:22:48 pm »
These also exist....

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/FAMILY-COMPUTER-HDMI-CONSOLE-SYSTEM-2-WIRELESS-CONTROLLER-BONUS/522056768

Now I sit here and decide if I want to dump $130 on a Famicom Classic from Japan.

Save your $$.  At 130 you are close to an avs but if you are going to spend money on an avs, might as well go for the multicore nt mini.  This type of logic is dangerous but it works.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #298 on: April 19, 2017, 12:22:34 am »
These also exist....

Hmm..... I think I would have to see it in action before tossing that much money in.  There is a decent chance it doesn't play NES carts and/or the video quality could be poor.  I mean those are IR-based gamepads, so they certainly aren't going for quality.  It's really odd that it has NES game ports on the front. 

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #299 on: April 19, 2017, 07:54:57 am »
Interesting article on Eurogamer ( http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-19-sources-nintendo-to-launch-snes-mini-this-year )

Last week, Nintendo explained that it never intended NES mini to be a permanent product. From the company's perspective, the microconsole was planned as a cool novelty item perfect for Christmas 2016, and the numbers in which it was manufactured and shipped were expected to be enough to suit this goal.

But NES mini ended up breaking out to become more popular than anticipated and quickly sold out, leading to a bustling resale market on eBay. NES mini shipments continued into the early part of this year, but its production run could not be extended further - as SNES mini was slated for production instead.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #300 on: April 19, 2017, 10:59:44 am »
AVS and Multicore NT Mini don't have save states. 

:dunno

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #301 on: April 19, 2017, 11:51:14 am »
Do you need save states?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #302 on: April 19, 2017, 11:54:46 am »
If I'm paying $200, I need save states.

:cheers:

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #303 on: April 19, 2017, 11:57:53 am »
meh, I'll trade up save states for high score leaderboard uploading any day of the week.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #304 on: April 19, 2017, 12:12:07 pm »
Why not both?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #305 on: April 19, 2017, 12:38:43 pm »
Does that product currently exist?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #306 on: April 19, 2017, 01:39:55 pm »
meh, I'll trade up save states for high score leaderboard uploading any day of the week.

Yes and you and the 12 other people that bought that overpriced pos... err alternative... can compete. ;)   Seriously man you paid and extra 100 bucks for the convenience of not trading scores on a message board.  You know the saying about people in glass houses and what not. 

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #307 on: April 19, 2017, 02:12:41 pm »

Yes and you and the 12 other people that bought that overpriced pos... err alternative... can compete. ;)   Seriously man you paid and extra 100 bucks for the convenience of not trading scores on a message board.  You know the saying about people in glass houses and what not. 

Well that's not the only reason.  But it was a compelling one.

Famicom game support plus expansion audio was another, as well as famicom controller support. I've enjoyed playing Arkaniod and Doh on this with my Vaus controller since I don't have a spinner set-up for my cabinets.

I love that it can run off a USB connection for power, minimizing cables or need of yet another power outlet.

And it's a hellava lot less input laggy than what the Classic Edition has. I played the a Classic Edition at a friend's place and it was really apparent that it's running some kind of emulation cause the lag felt like I was playing on a pi.  And he has a Benq Zowie which is one of the monitors fighting game tourneys use, so high response.

These points alone are worth the extra $100 to me, but what really tops it off with a cherry is how much you lose your mind every time the device is mentioned. That's worth the price tag alone! :lol
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 02:18:17 pm by opt2not »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #308 on: April 19, 2017, 08:36:52 pm »
I was just messing with you man.  One of these days you'll figure out when but until that day I enjoy the reaction.  :)

I haven't noticed any significant input lag.  It might be your friend's monitor or some interaction between it and his switches/cables/ect.  I get that it's a tournament monitor or whatever, but all it boils down to is if the hdmi connections do well with each other.  I noticed that the nes classic doesn't activate my auto switching hdmi hub, so it could be using an old protocol.  I mean I fired up punch out and I managed to do ok. 

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #309 on: April 22, 2017, 03:51:47 pm »
I've got to think that if they figure out external storage and the shortage ever ends this little guy could become the go to emulation box.  It has a great, skinnable, gui, it boots quickly and it is easy to add more emulators and games.

Hmm. That seems a bit of a stretch to me.

I can certainly understand the appeal of hacking it to run extra NES ROMS. But to hack it beyond that point would seriously undermine the plug and play simplicity that is the device’s main appeal.

If you want to emulate systems other than the NES then IMHO it makes more sense to buy a Raspberry Pi or equivalent.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #310 on: April 22, 2017, 04:06:10 pm »
Looks at pbj's responses.  The pi isn't an answer because you don't just boot it and it works and it doesn't startup or shutdown quickly enough.  We've been able to get roms on the bigscreen for decades now.... the thing is getting them there effortlessly, quickly and cheaply. 

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #311 on: April 22, 2017, 05:16:33 pm »
A small form PC is still the best solution for arcade projects. Period.

Xbox original (not 360, not One) is actually pretty great because of CoinOps, and you can connect to a component TV easily without doing any configuring. Unlike the Pi.

The Pi is cool for size, but setup sucks if you don't dig Linux and start-up/shutdown is slower than a tweaked windows machine, and is prone to corrupting the sd card.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #312 on: April 22, 2017, 06:40:07 pm »
Looks at pbj's responses.  The pi isn't an answer because you don't just boot it and it works and it doesn't startup or shutdown quickly enough.  We've been able to get roms on the bigscreen for decades now.... the thing is getting them there effortlessly, quickly and cheaply.

Actually, you’re wrong. You can boot a Pi and have it just work, if that’s what you want. There are literally dozens of pre-built Retro Pie images all over the net. All you have to do is download one of them, install it to an SD card and you’re ready to go. That’s about as effortless, cheap, and quick as you’re going to get.

If you want to do the same thing with the NES mini, you’ll first have to work out how to increase the flash memory, and attach generic USB controllers as not all games will work well with the NES ones. So, as a minimum, you’ll probably need to hack in a USB hub, and a USB flash drive. That means getting out your soldering iron. Even if you manage to do that, you’ll still be left with a device that has only 1/4 of the RPi’s RAM, and no wired or wireless networking support. You could, I suppose, add a wireless dongle to get networking, but it’s now starting to get complicated and expensive. And once you’ve sorted out the hardware, you’ll still need to install the software.

Personally, I’d prefer to start with a device that was designed to be hacked in the first place, and which has five years of support behind it.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #313 on: April 22, 2017, 06:50:25 pm »

Xbox original (not 360, not One) is actually pretty great because of CoinOps, and you can connect to a component TV easily without doing any configuring. Unlike the Pi.

The Pi is cool for size, but setup sucks if you don't dig Linux and start-up/shutdown is slower than a tweaked windows machine, and is prone to corrupting the sd card.

The PI does take a while to start up but it shuts down very quickly.

With regards to SD card corruption, it's never happened to me, but I can see why it might theoretically be a problem. However, it's perfectly possible to set up a Pi so that it never writes to the SD card. There are tutorials all over the net that explain how to do this. It's not difficult but it does require you to use the Linux command line. Actually, now I think about it, I'm surprised it's not a standard feature built in to Retro Pie. Maybe someone should contact the developers to see whether they'd be willing to add it as an option.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #314 on: April 23, 2017, 06:34:15 am »

The PI does take a while to start up but it shuts down very quickly.

With regards to SD card corruption, it's never happened to me, but I can see why it might theoretically be a problem. However, it's perfectly possible to set up a Pi so that it never writes to the SD card. There are tutorials all over the net that explain how to do this. It's not difficult but it does require you to use the Linux command line. Actually, now I think about it, I'm surprised it's not a standard feature built in to Retro Pie. Maybe someone should contact the developers to see whether they'd be willing to add it as an option.

Just make the SD card read only after putting all the roms in.  Just like in the days of old when Linux came on a DVD.  No corruption.  I only had one card corrupt on me when I pulled the power out of the Pi.  It was a crappy PNY.  You can create a swap with 16mb of RAM, then only one write is needed if any.  You can add the option yourself without asking for help (BYOAC Remember).   It is a hobby, so you learn as you go.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #315 on: April 23, 2017, 11:54:56 am »
Just make the SD card read only after putting all the roms in.  Just like in the days of old when Linux came on a DVD.  No corruption.  I only had one card corrupt on me when I pulled the power out of the Pi.  It was a crappy PNY.  You can create a swap with 16mb of RAM, then only one write is needed if any.  You can add the option yourself without asking for help (BYOAC Remember).   It is a hobby, so you learn as you go.
What about saving high scores? Or save data for console games? It's uncertain when each and every emulator chooses to access the card to write to, so you are gambling to when it's safe to shutdown.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #316 on: April 23, 2017, 07:26:18 pm »
Yeah shutting down Linux early is even more dangerous than shutting down windows early.  Also I think some people aren't getting it.  The nes classic just works.  There's no compiling of a kernel, no install or setup of emulators ect.  I don't mind doing that stuff, but as I get older I have less and less time to do that sort of thing and I would rather spend it playing games and modding games... my favorite parts of the hobby.  Even the hacked in emulators... there's no setup, you just check the box that you want to install them and drag the roms over. 

The pi is ok, but it isn't a better solution than this stream lined little OS that Nintendo has built. 

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #317 on: April 23, 2017, 09:32:22 pm »
What about saving high scores? Or save data for console games? It's uncertain when each and every emulator chooses to access the card to write to, so you are gambling to when it's safe to shutdown.

I can understand the high score saving part as that is very useful, but unless you use android, you will have OS corruption.   That is life.

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #318 on: April 24, 2017, 07:28:37 am »
 Supposedly Best Buy will have the NES Classic available in stores this morning.
Get there early to snag one.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/4/23/15401460/nintendo-nes-classic-best-buy-final-sale?yptr=yahoo

:cheers:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 07:32:09 am by jmike »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #319 on: April 24, 2017, 09:54:35 am »
I had an appointment this morning near one of our Best Buys.  Thought I would swing by afterword on my way to work and there were people already waiting in lawn chairs outside the door.  Just kept driving.