Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nintendo is bringing back the NES — NES Classic Edition  (Read 108321 times)

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Nintendo is bringing back the NES — NES Classic Edition
« Reply #200 on: January 26, 2017, 03:30:59 pm »
Just an FYI for those thinking about getting one of these eventually -- looks like the hacker that has been working on this has made it possible to load pretty much the entire NES library (minus a few unsupported mappers) onto the system - He set it up to use a folder system in order to get passed some of the system limits on the number of games it could handle. So far it seems to handle over 600 games with the save states and art etc.  :cheers:

According to the hacks latest release notes :

@ClusterM ClusterM released this 22 hours ago · 3 commits to master since this release

Folders/pages support! No more games limit. hakchi2 will automatically create folders and sort games alphabetically. Tested with 600+ ROMs. Everything working fine including savestates. You can select maximum games per page/folder but it's recommended to limit it to 30-35.

Multistep uploading. NES Mini can't handle huge kernel with hundreds of ROMs. So hakchi2 will split it up and upload in sequence. Just follow onscreen instructions.

Mass cover downloading. You can download covers for all games at once using first image on Google. You can find this feature in "File" menu.

IPS patcher can enlarge ROMs now ("index out of bounds" bug fixed).

New patches for problem games.

New confirmed mapper - 86. Also games with mappers 88, 95 and 206 will be patched automatically.

Global command line arguments. You can add some argument(s) for all games at once, including original ones. For example: add "--ppu-palette=2" to make all games black and white.

Support for ZIP, 7z and RAR archives. You don't need unpack every ROM now.

Support for some bad ROMs with invalid size.

Full Famicom Mini support: Japanese font and customizable original games list (thanks to xsnake!)

Autofire! Enable it via menu, hold Select+A/B for a second to enable autofire on A/B. Also X/Y buttons on classic controller will act as autofire A/B.

Start button simulation for second controller. Hold Up+A+B to press Start. It's workaround for some USA games on Famicom Mini. Don't forget to enable it via menu.

Option to disable menu music.

Minor design fixes.

Other minor improvements.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #201 on: January 26, 2017, 03:37:41 pm »
Wow.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #202 on: January 26, 2017, 03:51:38 pm »
still want one, still cant find one.

Call your local Toysrus - People have been saying they all got a shipment last night so most stores have them. Also I picked up a second one at walmart last week at 11am. was shopping and happened to check the electronics dept and they had the one they had received with that nights delivery in the case (the employee said she told a few people they didn't have one after I pointed it out to her in the case !! ) Figured it was almost cheaper to buy the second system than pay for a second OEM controller (which you still can't find since release) for playing 2 player.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #203 on: January 26, 2017, 04:23:03 pm »
Hm... Astrodome Gamestop had all the accessories but no systems when I checked 3 weeks ago... employee told me they were hiding them in the back because they were getting stolen.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #204 on: January 26, 2017, 07:18:50 pm »
They've been on sale online a few times this week as well... large enough quantities to where they stay in stock for a half hour or so.. always when I've been afk *grumble*  I guess I'll have to do like a millennial and strap my phone to my person 24/7. 

The new fixes are mighty impressive.  Somebody needs to add wiimote support for lightgun games.  The i2c connection that wiimotes use is bi-directional, so a cable plugged from the extension port to the console could potentially read the data off the wiimote in leu of a Bluetooth connection. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #205 on: January 26, 2017, 09:32:30 pm »
What site are you using to monitor stock?  I'm glued to a PC 10 hours a day.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #206 on: January 26, 2017, 09:52:51 pm »
What site are you using to monitor stock?  I'm glued to a PC 10 hours a day.

Brickseek tracks fairly reliably for Target and Walmart

http://brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker/?sku=207-29-0180
http://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=54043501

For target they usually update after closing time (after 10 or 11pm) and do not sell them until after opening the next AM.

And the reddit minines thread usually gets a post or 2 when some store gets stock for online sale within a minute or 2 of it opening - https://www.reddit.com/r/minines/
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 10:02:04 pm by JDFan »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #207 on: January 26, 2017, 11:01:42 pm »
^This^

Also if you just use google to search for "nes classic" and used advanced search to only show articles within the last 24hours there is usually an article of upcoming shipments and/or a shipment you missed. 

The most recent big one was gamestop.  They got some in stock online bundled with a wireless controller for ~70 bucks. 

My toys r us might still have some, but they are such a-holes that they won't tell you if they have any in stock... you pretty much have to show up.  I'm about 40 min away, so forget those guys.

mafiafan123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2022, 01:13:01 pm
  • i'd buy that for a dollar
Nintendo is bringing back the NES — NES Classic Edition
« Reply #208 on: January 26, 2017, 11:13:13 pm »
I used the now in stock site also the fact it's been hacked now you can add at least 30 games or more but the more that have game covers the less it will hold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #209 on: January 26, 2017, 11:45:49 pm »
I used the now in stock site also the fact it's been hacked now you can add at least 30 games or more but the more that have game covers the less it will hold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually the latest release fixes that it can now hold 600+ games with 4 saves per game and artwork for all of them -- the problem before was the way the data lists were allocated - he has now changed it a bit so that the games are kept in folders so for example you can have 20 folders with 30 games in each and they can all be stored on the system and all have the original 4 save slots - So no more limit on the number of games other than the 300MB+/- of RAM the system has available and the roms for NES games are tiny so 300MB is almost the entire romset !

DesiredOutcome

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 27, 2017, 09:53:09 pm
  • I want to get Mame Arcade!
« Reply #210 on: January 27, 2017, 12:38:53 am »
Got a headache reading this.

But i like the idea of having the classic playing all the classics. Is it easy for an idiot like me to set up?

B2K24

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2023, 09:33:05 pm
« Reply #211 on: January 27, 2017, 01:59:57 am »
Why is demand so crazy for this when you can still buy the original console and an EverDrive-N8?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #212 on: January 27, 2017, 02:31:39 am »
Why is demand so crazy for this when you can still buy the original console and an EverDrive-N8?

Seriously??

This is 60 bucks, you plug it into the tv and you are done. 

If you don't already have a NES it's going to be about 60 to get one, you might need to get new gamepads, the 100 dollar N8, and you'll still end up with a setup with a primitive menu system and av out at best that requires you to locate your own roms. 

Also all that stuff I mentioned above, your mom or your non-gamer friend probably can't do all of that.  They can buy a do-dad and plug it into their tv though.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #213 on: January 27, 2017, 10:28:59 am »

AS Howard points out to do this is going to cost you much more than the $60 - plus with the classic even if you add the extra games to it - it remains a stable product that is just plug and play so your non tech savy friends and family can use it without the chance to muck things up.

I do wish they had included an audio jack on this thing though (so it could be used with a monitor that doesn't have built in speakers or HDMI port and still have audio )

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #214 on: January 27, 2017, 01:46:55 pm »
Well I do as well.  I think even with the popularity of this thing Nintendo releasing a retro console like this is always going to be a rarity.  No other hardware manufacturer is willing to do throwbacks like this.  Most of the stuff Nintendo makes is rock solid and this is a really cool collectable.  Put your mini nes next to your mini rob amiibo and you've got a sweet looking nick-nack.  The fact that it'll easily let me play virtually the entire library is a nice bonus.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #215 on: January 27, 2017, 01:47:13 pm »
Yes, yes, we all want one.  We've covered that.  Thanks.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #216 on: January 27, 2017, 01:52:00 pm »

And why would you want to spend $200 on an original console and EverDrive when you could just build an emulator using a $10 rpi zero or free hand me down PC system ??

Figure there are all kinds of alternatives available and the more that are out there the better for everyone and a $60 system that allows anyone to just plug in a couple wires and play fills that spot for a lot of people so of course there is a lot of demand for it.

RetroGreg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2022, 06:56:33 pm
« Reply #217 on: January 27, 2017, 02:55:43 pm »
I got one at toys r us yesterday at about 11:30 am. They had one left. I'd say it's getting easier to find them if you know what day stores get stock in. I wasn't going to wait in line for it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #218 on: January 27, 2017, 03:30:24 pm »
I think once we get well into Feb. these are going to be a lot easier to get.  They'll want to unload as many as possible so they can ramp up production for the switch. 

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #219 on: January 29, 2017, 10:38:40 am »
Missed out on the launch day but was lucky enough to pick up 2 NES Classics with extension cables from ToysRus last week. Also had a friend of mine help me put together a pi zero inside a Friday the 13th NES cartridge. Will try and add some games next week, unless Nintendo has updated these newly shipped consoles to stop the hack.

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #220 on: January 29, 2017, 10:41:29 am »
There's nothing like playing on an official Nintendo NES controller, feels like the originals.
Oh and here's a quick pic of my Mini SNES Pi3 case next to the NES Classic.

:cheers:

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #221 on: February 09, 2017, 11:59:06 am »
I had one in my cart at Best buy...$68 after tax. Had second thoughts and downloaded the top 100 NES roms to play on my other devices.

I can spend zero $$ and play using a wireless controller from my couch.  :dunno

Don't get me wrong, I still want one but since I won't play the games after the first 5 minutes anyway. This way I can get my retro fix and if I still am into it I can suggest it as a good gift idea for me to non techy family members.

I wonder if you could cram an ITX motherboard or other PC solution? (Something more powerful than an R-Pi that would run windows)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 12:30:13 pm by knave »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #222 on: February 09, 2017, 12:47:34 pm »
So, my innermost hopes on this thing are that they either yank the OS and get it running on another device, or that it inspires someone to make a Pi environment that operates similarly. 

Yes, yes, we were emulating NES 20 years ago on our 386s, but those didn't boot in 5 seconds.

Emulation Station has got to go.  That 'good enough' pile of crap has held back 'the scene' a good 2-3 years.

Paul Olson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2022, 09:06:31 pm
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #223 on: February 09, 2017, 02:05:15 pm »
I pretty much forgot about these after not being able to find one, and buying an original with an everdrive. I have since modded the Wii U, bought a PS4 and PSVR, and preordered the Switch, so I think this one is off of my radar now. If they release a SNES version, I will get it for my wife. She doesn't want to use the SNES and Everdrive in the garage, so the mini would work out well.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #224 on: February 09, 2017, 02:48:32 pm »
Done anything particularly fun with the WiiU? 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #225 on: February 09, 2017, 05:20:45 pm »
So, my innermost hopes on this thing are that they either yank the OS and get it running on another device, or that it inspires someone to make a Pi environment that operates similarly. 

Yes, yes, we were emulating NES 20 years ago on our 386s, but those didn't boot in 5 seconds.

Emulation Station has got to go.  That 'good enough' pile of crap has held back 'the scene' a good 2-3 years.

Well the OS is a modified version of Linux.  The frontend we see afaik is just an app.  As per the Linux license agreement, all the non-Nintendo stuff is open source and posted, which is how it was hacked so easily... they had to post the "exploit" themselves.  I don't think it would be terribly hard to make a version of the app or add other emulators.  I can't do it though.... my Linux skillz are virtually non-existent. 

Paul Olson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2022, 09:06:31 pm
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #226 on: February 10, 2017, 04:19:12 pm »
Done anything particularly fun with the WiiU?

I had fun modding the Wii U. There is a certain amount of enjoyment to be had downloading the games from Nintendo's own servers. I still can't believe that is a thing. lol
I haven't done much with it since getting it all set up though. I played a few games, but I was pretty quickly put off by all of the overly kid focused music and sound effects. It was driving me crazy after about 2 weeks. I bought a PS4 Pro to get some more adult content. I haven't turned on the Wii U since then.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #227 on: February 10, 2017, 09:26:52 pm »
I'm not sure what was meant about that comment.  Apparently happy is now childish.  Myself I can use all the happy I can get. 

Anyway.......Yeah so this happened:

http://mashable.com/2017/02/10/nes-console-hack/#1IzNvrFxHqq3

retro arch can be loaded as a game in the interface now.  Seems to handle 8 and 16 bit games fine. 

Now if people can wise up and realize that nobody wants to use retro-arch's interface and create direct shortcuts to game we are golden. 

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #228 on: February 10, 2017, 10:15:45 pm »
Now if people can wise up and realize that nobody wants to use retro-arch's interface and create direct shortcuts to game we are golden.

:cheers:

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #229 on: February 11, 2017, 12:18:25 am »
Definitely coming along.  They are gonna have to figure out a storage solution soon.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #230 on: February 11, 2017, 07:47:56 am »
Storage should be easy.  The thing has usb and it runs on Linux... a usb y-cable to supply power with one fork and hook up a usb stick with the other would work.

deadmoney5

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2020, 11:02:02 pm
  • I don't feel tardy
« Reply #231 on: March 14, 2017, 10:19:44 am »
Bought one off Craigslist last night.  Has over 700 games on it.  Pretty cool.  But also pretty overwhelming with so many games.  Even after reading about, I didn't realize how small it was!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #232 on: March 14, 2017, 10:39:12 am »
So the hobbyists did the same ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- they always do.  The first few releases expand the functionality and maintain the feel.  Then comes the diarrhea torrent of making everything in the world work on the system, user experience be damned.  I'm reading about workarounds to get Genesis games working on an NES controller... are these people even serious?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #233 on: March 14, 2017, 02:19:57 pm »
Here's how to get it to work... plug in a classic controller and stop being stupid. 

Yeah just because you can put everything on it doesn't mean you should.  Myself I want only the good NES games on there and I think some select master system and tg16 games would be nice, seeing as how they actually have a compatible control scheme.

deadmoney5

• Offline Offline
  • I don't feel tardy
« Reply #234 on: March 15, 2017, 09:59:12 am »
Here's how to get it to work... plug in a classic controller and stop being stupid. 

Yeah just because you can put everything on it doesn't mean you should.  Myself I want only the good NES games on there and I think some select master system and tg16 games would be nice, seeing as how they actually have a compatible control scheme.

you need an adaptor to use the original NES controller, right?

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #235 on: March 15, 2017, 11:06:32 am »
you need an adaptor to use the original NES controller, right?

Yes - you need a NES to Wii adapter if you want to use an original NES controller.
Hyperkin has on for about $12 ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hyperkin-NES-Controller-to-NES-Classic-Mini-WiiU-or-Wii-Adapter-/152470253510?hash=item237fef6fc6:g:gTIAAOSwopRYkctM )

He was talking about th Wii classic controller !
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 12:49:26 pm by JDFan »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #236 on: March 15, 2017, 01:05:52 pm »
You shouldn't have to explain that man.  How would replacing a controller with an identical controller, both of which only have two buttons instead of the needed three be a solution?  I even said classic controller, which is the name of the gamepad.  Common sense people.

deadmoney5

• Offline Offline
  • I don't feel tardy
« Reply #237 on: March 15, 2017, 04:48:38 pm »
You shouldn't have to explain that man.  How would replacing a controller with an identical controller, both of which only have two buttons instead of the needed three be a solution?  I even said classic controller, which is the name of the gamepad.  Common sense people.

no need to be a ---meecrob---.  I know NOTHING about the the terrible Wii U.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #238 on: March 15, 2017, 06:59:05 pm »
It's hacked in 10 minutes and Zelda and Super Mario Maker are legit.

:dunno

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #239 on: March 15, 2017, 07:11:04 pm »
Dont forget paper mario and super mario 3d world. A shortage of titles yes, but a solid console.