Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nintendo is bringing back the NES — NES Classic Edition  (Read 109831 times)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Re: Nintendo is bringing back the NES — NES Classic Edition
« Reply #480 on: July 29, 2017, 05:32:48 pm »
.....sigh.....

go snag me one, pay ya $20 for your troubles
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #481 on: July 29, 2017, 05:48:46 pm »
In OKC, bro.  Also missing a Corey Feldman concert tonight.  Had free tickets and everything. 

:badmood:

Just get a Famicom Mini.

:cheers:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #482 on: July 29, 2017, 07:04:44 pm »
I'm pretty sure all Corey Feldman tickets are free, so at least you aren't losing anything. :D

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:41:27 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #483 on: July 31, 2017, 09:41:36 am »
Looks like a new version of the Raspberry pi 3 Nes case has been released -- It actually looks like they made some good design changes and are making it easy to build a mini Nes pi and it's onl;y $20 right now (shows a list price of $69 but not sure if it will ever go back to that price but for $20 seems a good deal ) - pretty much the same as the $25 Chinese KNock off without the need to make modifications.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073ZC4TZY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Glad I bit on this when I did- today it spiked up to $59 before selling out.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #484 on: July 31, 2017, 10:36:52 am »

Glad I bit on this when I did- today it spiked up to $59 before selling out.

Wonder if they will be making more - It almost looks like these may have been being liquidated by the chinese manufacturer after RetroFlag placed an order with them and then something happened where they didn't get paid for the order. Otherwise you'd think there would have been more talk about the product being designed/made (could be someone was wanting to make these and got as far as getting a production run done and then never went through with payment so the manufacturer put them up on Amazon for around their cost to get rid of the inventory.) Would be a shame if that ends up being what happened as these look to be a great design.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #485 on: July 31, 2017, 04:50:22 pm »
It's a nice looking case, apart from the inexplicably poor design decision to put the Ethernet port on the front. However, the company selling it comes across as a bit shady. The constant price fluctuations hardly inspire confidence.

That being said, you do get Amazon's buyer protection. So, when they appear again (as I'm sure they will) l'll probably end up getting one.

"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #486 on: July 31, 2017, 09:58:14 pm »
It's a nice looking case, apart from the inexplicably poor design decision to put the Ethernet port on the front. However, the company selling it comes across as a bit shady. The constant price fluctuations hardly inspire confidence.

That being said, you do get Amazon's buyer protection. So, when they appear again (as I'm sure they will) l'll probably end up getting one.

THe price fluctuations might be a part of the Amazon site -- It always seems to adjust pricing upward as a product becomes popular - even when there are several companies selling that product and they all seem to update together. In looking around a bit they are now being listed on a couple sites on Alibaba but the order placing on that site is kind of weird so it will probably get restocked fairly soon.

nexusmtz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2022, 03:14:22 am
« Reply #487 on: July 31, 2017, 11:14:02 pm »
My Retroflag case arrived today. I like it, aside from the redundant "CASE" and wordy "...FOR ALL OF US".

The mounting screws are a bit large for the holes in my Pi 3's pcb, necessitating a bit more careful force than I would have liked, but otherwise, the assembly went smoothly.

The power button looks like it's a simple make/break feed to pins 4 and 6, possibly with the reset button inline, so it doesn't automatically shut down or anything like that.

All 4 USB ports work from the single Pi port, which implies that it's a hub. I didn't test the network port since I'm using wireless.

Not much else to say about it, except that I wish I had grabbed a couple extras.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #488 on: July 31, 2017, 11:24:07 pm »
My Retroflag case arrived today. I like it, aside from the redundant "CASE" and wordy "...FOR ALL OF US".

The mounting screws are a bit large for the holes in my Pi 3's pcb, necessitating a bit more careful force than I would have liked, but otherwise, the assembly went smoothly.

The power button looks like it's a simple make/break feed to pins 4 and 6, possibly with the reset button inline, so it doesn't automatically shut down or anything like that.

All 4 USB ports work from the single Pi port, which implies that it's a hub. I didn't test the network port since I'm using wireless.

Not much else to say about it, except that I wish I had grabbed a couple extras.

Good to hear you got it and that it is pretty much as described (when did you place the order ? ) -- Good news is there was one person on a reddit thread that got a response from them saying the first batch had sold out but they would have more in about a month - Not sure what the price will be then though since ETAPRIME did a video review of the case a couple hours before the price started going up and then they ran out (guess he has quite a few followers - who started placing orders after seeing it.)

Do you think the lettering might be able to be removed with some Nail polish remover or acetate - without messing up the case ?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 11:26:21 pm by JDFan »

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2022, 03:14:22 am
« Reply #489 on: August 01, 2017, 02:24:20 pm »
when did you place the order ?

Do you think the lettering might be able to be removed with some Nail polish remover or acetate - without messing up the case ?
I ordered on the 19th. I can't easily test the lettering. I was hoping they had labeled the HDMI and power, but they didn't. I can live with it. I think even a matte decal would look worse. The tagline is just a bit long, and NESPiCASE looks nothing like Nintendo, even from far away.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #490 on: August 01, 2017, 06:14:19 pm »
I ordered the 20th. According to the USPS, mine should be here Thursday. I'll keep ya'll posted.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #491 on: August 01, 2017, 09:14:54 pm »
I ordered the 20th. According to the USPS, mine should be here Thursday. I'll keep ya'll posted.

No Fair --- Mine was ordered the 19th and just arrived in Los Angeles this morning (07:44 am.) and is scheduled for delivery on Monday according to the tracking info !

Already ordered another 10 units from Alibaba ( have several family members and Friends/co-workers that have been bugging me to build them one - so will be making several as Xmas gifts ( this case makes that much easier and I can just clone the microsd card image ( will probably include a second microsd in the storage compartment for when they mess things up - can then tell them it is there and have them swap the card to get it working and then reimage a new backup when I get to it !)

Was planning to order a few more from Amazon but they ran out of stock once ETAPrime posted his youtube review and the price doubled overnight and then went to $60 - so looked around and found them on Alibaba - For the 10 units including DHL shipping and a 5% paypal fee ( would rather pay the extra 5% than give out my credit card info.) they were $17.69 each.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 09:23:49 pm by JDFan »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #492 on: August 01, 2017, 11:44:57 pm »
Link?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #493 on: August 02, 2017, 12:15:42 am »

No Fair --- Mine was ordered the 19th and just arrived in Los Angeles this morning (07:44 am.) and is scheduled for delivery on Monday according to the tracking info !

Already ordered another 10 units from Alibaba ( have several family members and Friends/co-workers that have been bugging me to build them one - so will be making several as Xmas gifts ( this case makes that much easier and I can just clone the microsd card image ( will probably include a second microsd in the storage compartment for when they mess things up - can then tell them it is there and have them swap the card to get it working and then reimage a new backup when I get to it !)

Was planning to order a few more from Amazon but they ran out of stock once ETAPrime posted his youtube review and the price doubled overnight and then went to $60 - so looked around and found them on Alibaba - For the 10 units including DHL shipping and a 5% paypal fee ( would rather pay the extra 5% than give out my credit card info.) they were $17.69 each.

I'm in Arizona, so it's not as far as... say, where do you live, anyway?

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #494 on: August 02, 2017, 01:15:17 am »

El Paso, Texas -- So only an extra 10 hours or so away - Can't complain too much as the estimate had it getting here between the 9th and 30th -- so I guess it arriving the 7th isn't bad !

Heard back from the Alibaba manufacturer and they are out of stock currently also so there is a 3 week delay in shipping the 10.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #495 on: August 02, 2017, 02:22:33 am »
I've been wanting to do a portable version of the pi.  Like those Gameboy versions you see floating around.  I can't find a form factor I like though.... most are just Gameboy or gba shells with extra buttons tacked on.  I'd like to do maybe a DS or psp style shell. 

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #496 on: August 02, 2017, 02:43:26 am »
I've been wanting to do a portable version of the pi.  Like those Gameboy versions you see floating around.  I can't find a form factor I like though.... most are just Gameboy or gba shells with extra buttons tacked on.  I'd like to do maybe a DS or psp style shell.

Never really liked the handhelds -- My eyesight isn't what it used to be and trying to play on a 3.5" screen just isn't much fun.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #497 on: August 02, 2017, 03:31:30 am »
I can't either, so I want to put a giant screen in there and have optional hdmi out. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #498 on: August 02, 2017, 09:27:17 am »

El Paso, Texas -- So only an extra 10 hours or so away - Can't complain too much as the estimate had it getting here between the 9th and 30th -- so I guess it arriving the 7th isn't bad !

Heard back from the Alibaba manufacturer and they are out of stock currently also so there is a 3 week delay in shipping the 10.

I didn't know you were in El Paso. My wife's family is from there. We're due for a trip.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:27:36 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #499 on: August 02, 2017, 10:58:05 am »
I can't either, so I want to put a giant screen in there and have optional hdmi out.

what about hacking a Wii-U gamepad?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #500 on: August 02, 2017, 11:16:50 am »

Well, yeah, sure, if you want to spend $200 for a plastic case and gimp a WiiU....

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #501 on: August 02, 2017, 11:43:26 am »

Well, yeah, sure, if you want to spend $200 for a plastic case and gimp a WiiU....

naw man, just buy a busted one on ebay. going to be gutting it anyways right?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NINTENDO-WII-U-GAMEPAD-CONTROLLER-Black-For-Parts-or-Repair-11890-/192252785085?hash=item2cc328b1bd:g:f~AAAOSwuxpZb7Ug

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #502 on: August 02, 2017, 01:27:56 pm »
The screen will be the deciding factor, so when it's time to do it I'll probably 3d print a case and salvage buttons from an old gamepad or something. 

Right now I'm too busy messing with ps2 games and Gradius IV is kicking my butt.  I might have to gamefaqs this boss to get past it. 

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #503 on: August 02, 2017, 01:42:34 pm »
basically an standard 6.5" display can be slotted into the case...

likey so...

http://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1607

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #504 on: August 02, 2017, 04:43:58 pm »
According to someone who posted in the following thread (which is well worth a read), the company that manufactures the NESPI case will shortly be releasing a Famicom styled Pi case as well:

http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=13636.180

I'm pretty excited about this news as I'd actually prefer a Famicom styled case, especially if they come with matching controllers.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #505 on: August 03, 2017, 08:00:28 pm »
This showed up today...

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #506 on: August 03, 2017, 08:15:05 pm »
Does your dog lick his butthole to clear out the taste of peanut butter?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #507 on: August 03, 2017, 08:24:01 pm »
Does your dog lick his butthole to clear out the taste of peanut butter?

I knew YOU'D focus on that, Jimbo.

That's a her. She's working on her vagingo.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #508 on: August 03, 2017, 11:00:10 pm »

It's so tiny!!!

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #509 on: August 04, 2017, 12:19:10 am »
Looks like they made the most out of the space they had inside - not a lot of empty space in there - Looks like it will make building a system pretty simple (much easier than modding the other Chinese knock off like I was planning to do. )
Mines still somewhere between LA and Here (might be on the same truck that dropped yours off ) - I'm hoping it might show up on Saturday - even though the schedule says Monday

Edit : looks like it is coming Today instead of Monday !
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:16:35 am by JDFan »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:06:28 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #510 on: August 04, 2017, 09:23:22 am »
It's so tiny!!!

I think they have pills for that.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #511 on: August 04, 2017, 04:55:49 pm »
It's so tiny!!!

I think they have pills for that.
They dont work...

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:06:28 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #512 on: August 04, 2017, 07:31:43 pm »
...or so you have heard. Of course you personally have no need for that, but you know someone else who tried them. ;)

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #513 on: August 08, 2017, 12:36:22 pm »
Got my RetroFlag NESPi case yesterday and am happy with it, quality looks great and the packaging is even nicely done. Thanks to JDFan for the heads-up. Some more pics below.

Fan I purchased separately.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 09:57:43 am by 8BitMonk »
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #514 on: August 09, 2017, 11:20:43 am »
Just curious and not trying to break rules, but was rom dumping possible on the nes classic? Mostly wondering if the rom for star fox 2 on the snes classic could be possible if it is indeed a complete game and not the fan finished version. Just talking possibilities.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #515 on: August 09, 2017, 11:29:54 am »
Just curious and not trying to break rules, but was rom dumping possible on the nes classic? Mostly wondering if the rom for star fox 2 on the snes classic could be possible if it is indeed a complete game and not the fan finished version. Just talking possibilities.

Yes.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #516 on: August 09, 2017, 11:31:12 am »

Yes.
Thanks bra.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #517 on: August 09, 2017, 11:31:32 am »
they already found roms contained in the virtual console to have been just dumps downloaded from the internet. I wouldn't put it past them.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #518 on: September 12, 2017, 07:18:42 am »
Looks like Nintendo is now planning on bringing back the NES Classic next year so that folks who didn't get one on the first go round have a second chance. Hope this ends up being true and that there's plentiful stock as I'd like to get my hands on one without paying an arm and a leg...

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/12/16293664/nes-classic-coming-back-more-snes-stock

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
« Reply #519 on: September 12, 2017, 12:21:34 pm »
Bleh.
I got my rpi2 all configured and games installed.
Have NES usb replica controllers and a 3-d printed mini nes case for it on the way.

I'm good.

However, I would love to see nintendo churn out so many of these that the asshat scalpers trying to sell them for stupid amounts of money only break even.