Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hyperspin Racing Setup.  (Read 9753 times)

JuanLider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2017, 06:13:19 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hyperspin Racing Setup.
« on: July 13, 2016, 06:40:38 pm »
Hi.

I would like to use Hyperspin to my driving machine , but I have seen that there is very little help, because there is no a setup version racer Hyperspin which save us much time settings from beginning , someone already has a Hyperspin configured to racer ?,mame, segamodel etc.. ?

Thank you.

Juan.

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
Re: Hyperspin Racing Setup.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 01:00:44 pm »
I need this too. What can we do to find someone who will share their setup?
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

JuanLider

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2017, 06:13:19 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 04:53:54 pm »
Hi.

Racing projects require a lot of testing and working hours.
If i have one frondend working,And make changes front it, save a lot of time .

Thaks.

Juan.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 04:56:50 pm by JuanLider »

ant2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 02:36:51 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 05:18:54 pm »
I've set it up, but it's very bespoke,  like probably many others as it's often just calling ahk scripts that go to a specific emulator or bind certain buttons.
So if you have anything other than a g27 it will be me harm than good

terminator2k2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2024, 05:46:40 pm
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 08:13:35 am »
I've set it up, but it's very bespoke,  like probably many others as it's often just calling ahk scripts that go to a specific emulator or bind certain buttons.
So if you have anything other than a g27 it will be me harm than good

agree with this...too many variables involved to have 1 setup.....i have a hyperspin setup, but it just wouldnt work unless you had completely the same setup with even the same     
connections on ipacs, pac led, wheel and pedals etc

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 03:54:02 pm »
Yup... it's nearly impossible to fix a turn-key solution for someone else unless they have the EXACT same hardware and software.  Even something as innocent as having a virtual joystick setup to deal with a troublesome game can throw everything off and make it not work right anymore. 

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 01:26:39 pm »
I don't think anyone is looking for a turnkey solution, but it would be nice to have a setup that could be tweaked. Anyone who has ever gone through the process has reinvented the wheel much more than necessary. This is entirely due to the gray area that emulators run in, IMHO. The last thing I want to do is sit and jack around with ahk scripts and config files. At least if one starts with a working system, you can go straight to the configs.

I ended up using MALA because the "ease" of setup when compared to HS.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 01:32:18 pm by MTPPC »
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 02:30:37 pm »
The last thing I want to do is sit and jack around with ahk scripts and config files.

That's exactly what you'd still have to do if I gave you a copy of my Mala setup.

Hell, I had to tweak the AHK scripts for Vivanonno emulator after moving them from one PC to another even though they were similar machines both running XP.

I'd have no problem sharing my old Mala setup, but I'm not sure how much good it would do since it doesn't work with newer versions of MAME without workarounds.
The batch files & scripts are also for older versions of Demul and other emulators.
Also the MALA gamelists contain path information for the roms, so they won't work when transferred from one machine to another.

Ideally what I'd like to have is an agreed upon BYOAC Driving cab subforum official front-end of choice.
Then make tutorials and packages available for that.
I don't know which front-end that would be though. 
I like Mala, but it is no longer updated.
I haven't got around to trying Howard's checkered flag front end.
I like the way hyperspin looks in pinball mode on a driving cab, but I don't like how all the Hyperspin tools mess with the emulator settings.
I don't like any of the front ends that look like media center software.
Any front-end would have to allow all the arcade games to be in one list regardless of emulator.
With a driving cab, it's just annoying to have them in separate lists (except for consoles).

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 01:51:33 pm
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 12:49:45 am »
If you want all the games in a single list, FEEL could be the right choice. It also allows the user for emulator specific remapping, which minimize the external script use. The FE is still in development and supports all MAME versions without workarounds.
In the download package there's a pdf with instructions (IIRW it was english translated at some point).

ant2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 05:04:52 pm »
I like hyperspin the most, using a wheel for a wheel :)

A demo of my lan play wheels:

charliew

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2020, 08:31:12 pm
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 09:23:51 am »
RetroFE looks interesting. High level of customizability for themes and actual widescreen support. It's also open source.
http://www.retrofe.com/

dramaone

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2018, 03:48:53 pm
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 12:58:05 pm »
After a few hyperspin cabinet builds ive started on a racing cab using a valve r limit single cab and seat and a G27.

I would really appreciate if anybody has a configured g27 ahk scripted hyperspin build to save me some time.

Thanks

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 03:00:03 pm »
For me it's not so much the scripts etc but the artwork and movies that takes too long to get

dramaone

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2016, 03:21:32 pm »
For me it's not so much the scripts etc but the artwork and movies that takes too long to get

i can understand but the movies and backgrounds can wait aslong as i can access games

just been playing cannonball outrun and sega rally with ffb, loving it, just want to get a smooth front end now

:)

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2016, 10:34:31 pm »
I don't care for Hyperspin at all, I am a huge fan of Launchbox/Bigbox. Sooooo easy to setup and looks amazing. I highly recommend it. I have recently requested a feature to support steering wheels, might take some time to get it. But in the mean time check out Bigbox you may find a workaround to use it with your driving set ups, my racing cabs are going to have flight sticks attached so I'll be using those to scroll menus so I don't really need this feature but I figured it would be good to suggest it.

In my opinion Launchbox/Bigbox will eclipse Hyperspin sooner or later simply because of ease of use....

good luck!

dramaone

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2016, 03:18:05 am »
I don't care for Hyperspin at all, I am a huge fan of Launchbox/Bigbox. Sooooo easy to setup and looks amazing. I highly recommend it. I have recently requested a feature to support steering wheels, might take some time to get it. But in the mean time check out Bigbox you may find a workaround to use it with your driving set ups, my racing cabs are going to have flight sticks attached so I'll be using those to scroll menus so I don't really need this feature but I figured it would be good to suggest it.

In my opinion Launchbox/Bigbox will eclipse Hyperspin sooner or later simply because of ease of use....

good luck!

Thanks Ill check it out !

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2016, 06:24:10 pm »
I'm using Attractmode, which works well. I'm not sure I'd call it easy to set up, though it has that reputation. I think no front end might really be easy, it's more about taking the time to figure out what everything does, what funny quirks it has. Like the fact that if you don't set up extra copies of GrrovyMAME exactly the same way as the default MAME is configured, switchres won't work. Unless it's just the xml listing that needs to be set.

That aside, if you set up windows shortcuts, you can play every game you have in a single list in AM. Not so practical for full MAME romsets, but otherwise I see no barrier. I have ancient Thrustmaster formula pro digital wheels (actually analog, but I guess the term was cool around the win98 era - they even have serial/gameport plugs!) that need vjoy and ujr to get right, but after that they work fine.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2016, 06:39:30 pm »
I see it as very easy to set up for a driving cab at least for me because there are only so many driving games and I prefer to have them all under one list. The way I have it set up so far probably took me a total of 45 minutes to set-up and that included making a couple custom icons for each game, granted I only have like 5 games in the menu right now, but in my opinion once you figure out how the gears work its extremely simple to setup and importing games is a breeze as well.

I have respect for Hyperspin but I feel its become a little bloated overtime. I have a friend who is not the most tech savvy, he built his first mame cab not to long ago. He wound up buying one of those Hyperspin hard drives off the net. He thought it would be all set up but it wasn't. He was struggling for like a week to get it all going and then we discovered Launchbox/Bigbox, he used the roms and images from the HD and just imported everything and now his system is running smooth as butter. I plan on changing my mame cab over to Bigbox as soon as I get the time.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2016, 09:02:59 pm »
Yeah I agree hyperspin has become too big for its own good unfortunatelt.  It's fine if you have the time and knowledge but most people don't. I spent weeks on my setup but it's properly 2 years outdated now but I did some stuff like using hyperspin to load games off my xbox 360 and ps3 consoles

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2016, 09:14:46 pm »
I did some stuff like using hyperspin to load games off my xbox 360 and ps3 consoles

Wow, I'm trying to imagine how many SCART and VGA splitters I'd need to do that. I really want to add Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge across two cabs, and even the thought of the extra cabling and switching for that is going to be an effort.

probably took me a total of 45 minutes to set-up

I could never get away with that. I'm like 45 minutes for one game, and that's preparing first on my laptop to make sure everything is going to work beforehand. These are two 480i CRT setups though, so I'm sure that slows things down.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2016, 10:56:18 pm »
Yeah I agree hyperspin has become too big for its own good unfortunatelt.  It's fine if you have the time and knowledge but most people don't. I spent weeks on my setup but it's properly 2 years outdated now but I did some stuff like using hyperspin to load games off my xbox 360 and ps3 consoles

It's not just Hyperspin, rather it's mame itself.  I do completely understand the reasoning in regards to doing a unified build with mess and adding in all the pins and e.m. stuff, but that only works on paper.  In practice it makes the whole thing convoluted and hard to use for both the archivist, developer and gamer alike.  I've said it before in other threads, mame is currently like a library without an index.  You have to already know what you are looking for to find it and if that's the case how are you ever going to discover something new?

dramaone

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2016, 04:24:02 am »
I Actually bit the bullet and just got on with the front end build with Hyperspin and thought id share my experience for others who might take on the similar task.
Please note im very much a novice at all this.

Using Xpadder I mapped the Logitech g27 to the required keyboard functions to navigate Hyperspin front end wheels.
I was intending to use the g27 wheel turn to move the hyperspin wheel but couldn't be bothered to work out how to stop it moving the front end wheel really quickly.
Therefore I ended up assigning the g27 paddles to move the hyper wheel, accelerate pedal as the select button, break pedal as the go back button.
Works good enough for the moment and means no keyboard is required which is ofcourse the important part.

I managed to setup model 2 and 3 emulators, first in isolation and mapped each games controls, all works fine and then routed them all in hyperspin.
Imported all the hyperspin media, looking good.

Had to map a button on the steering wheel to the escape key to come out the emulation and back to hyperspin, again works fine.
Hoping that other emulators either use escape to quit emulation, i know mame you can set what ever key press you want to escape.

So what seemed a daunting task was actually pretty easy as long as you have Hyperspin experience configuring to work with a wheel and pedals is
pretty much straight forward.

I'm almost waiting for a major problem to strike but so far so good.
I know that there could be loads more tinkering in setting up the ffb on games but to be fair out of the box ffb on model 2 and 3, cannonball and outrun2006fx
all are pretty good.

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 04:26:49 am by dramaone »

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:01:24 pm
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2016, 09:41:10 am »
I've been a long time HyperSpin user and advocate.  But recently I've stopped using it for LaunchBox.

HyperSpin is dead.  The author has moved on.  The community is keeps it alive, but there is nothing new coming out outside of 3rd party hacks. 

LaunchBox actively being developed, but it has some shortcomings that even HyperSpin got right long ago.  So..  we'll see.  The big thing that LaunchBox (and Big Box) has going for it is that you can list ALL games into one big list - or keep them separate via platforms - with a simple in-frontend toggle.   Having to switch platforms over and over again to find a game is stupid, especially with driving cabinets.   LB fixes this.  It supports RocketLauncher too if you use that.  It also supports Steam game importing and DOSBox (DOS game) importing.  Like, native support for this stuff....   

Now only if it supported Origin...  lol

And its got a built in search feature that searches ALL platforms and makes a game list on the fly.   

You're still going to spend a lot of time tweaking things to get it working the way you want it, but at least you won't be fighting the split platform nightmare that HyperSpin is.

ant2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2016, 05:20:32 pm »
I spent so many hours on my hyperspin set up that I'll never change it. I'm running a really old version with the old hyperlaunch etc. But because all i now do is add games to the required wheel maintenance is easy.

My wheel used to work out of the box (g27). I later updated a ninor version and it started misbehaving,  even rolling back the version didn't fix it. The forums just state 'it's not supportsble'. I wrote ahk scripts to translate it in to key presses and use the paddles for selecting.  Wheel button top right for select, top left for back.
Gear stick button box at the top exits all games but pc. Pc games can always be exited cleanly, so i run these outside of hyperlauch.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:01:24 pm
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2016, 11:45:05 am »
I spent so many hours on my hyperspin set up that I'll never change it. I'm running a really old version with the old hyperlaunch etc. But because all i now do is add games to the required wheel maintenance is easy.

My wheel used to work out of the box (g27). I later updated a ninor version and it started misbehaving,  even rolling back the version didn't fix it. The forums just state 'it's not supportsble'. I wrote ahk scripts to translate it in to key presses and use the paddles for selecting.  Wheel button top right for select, top left for back.
Gear stick button box at the top exits all games but pc. Pc games can always be exited cleanly, so i run these outside of hyperlauch.

This is exactly why I moved away from HyperSpin.    DirectX isn't new technology.  XInput isn't new tech either.  And HyperSpin can't get either of them right....    (I always used Joy2Key to get my gamepads working in the front end)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2016, 12:47:10 pm »
That's nonsense. 

You don't even need directX to interface with a joystick-like device.  You can just use an api call to windows and let it do the heavy lifting.  Xinput is even easier.... it takes three lines of code and a custom type definition... that's it.  Also xinput is backwards compatible with directx, which in turn is backwards compatible with the windows api. 

It's one thing if it's a small project and you just don't want to bother, but to make a fe for profit and not have joystick support... that kind of proves my point that HS was all about the form with none of the function. 

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2016, 10:39:16 pm »
That's nonsense. 

You don't even need directX to interface with a joystick-like device.  You can just use an api call to windows and let it do the heavy lifting.  Xinput is even easier.... it takes three lines of code and a custom type definition... that's it.  Also xinput is backwards compatible with directx, which in turn is backwards compatible with the windows api. 

It's one thing if it's a small project and you just don't want to bother, but to make a fe for profit and not have joystick support... that kind of proves my point that HS was all about the form with none of the function.

That's why I l Like Launchbox/Bigbox. Simple to use and more and more features every month.

Hey Howard since you are a Ninja of all these things what are the chances of you looking into getting proper controller support for the Arcade-PC dumps of The Fast and the Furious and Wacky Races?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2016, 10:50:41 pm »
It's on my list but honestly it's towards the bottom.  2k6/FXT is the focus now and then I want to try and update ts2 to work with the latest version of the m2 emulator.  Then stuff like offroad thunder and these misc pc games can be attended to. 

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2016, 06:04:05 pm »
It's on my list but honestly it's towards the bottom.  2k6/FXT is the focus now and then I want to try and update ts2 to work with the latest version of the m2 emulator.  Then stuff like offroad thunder and these misc pc games can be attended to.

Well either way thanks for all your hard work, we do appreciate it.

jevansoh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2023, 04:56:52 pm
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2017, 06:04:02 am »
I know this is an old topic, but I just wanted to state I use HyperSpin for Mame and my consoles, but didn't even really consider using it for my dedicated driving cabinet due to the complexity of getting all games in one list.

I found Howard's Checkered Flag FE and had it up and running and all bugs worked out in less than two hours.  It's amazing and I highly recommend it.

I have no clue why it isn't discussed or used more on this forum but it works great for me, everything is in one list, and he even supplies all the artwork.  It's almost plug-n-play!

Thanks Howard for a wonderful FE!

--J

Marcoqwerty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 02:46:08 pm
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2017, 02:45:39 pm »
Its very easy setup Hyperspin and RL for a racin mame cabinet....ive already done this today on my Mame racing cab.

I share the completely setup after finish the cab on my blog.

PS:

I will share the HS mame setup only without any roms or video or copyrighted stuff....and i cant provide any support after, intented for people who already know HS and RL.

http://supercoin.blogspot.it
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:37:10 pm by Marcoqwerty »