Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: s-video mod for Atari 2600  (Read 3554 times)

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
s-video mod for Atari 2600
« on: July 03, 2016, 09:56:26 am »

Like so. My Atari 2600 had really bad RF out. Way 'snowier' than normal so I figured it was probably just the RF circuit so why not mod it. Results are striking. Well worth the effort (",)

It uses a 'daughterboard' that someone local to me gave me to try out. You can see it in the second pic, sitting next to the original RF unit, just above where the original coax connected o the motherboard. My model had the coax permanently attached. I used an old cable I had lying around, but I have ordered an aftermarket gamecube s-video cable. This has a round cross section. It will be thicker than the original but will still look the part, and it means I don;t have to do any drilling :D

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: s-video mod for Atari 2600
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 12:04:47 pm »
Sweet! I've had fun doing the composite mod, love seeing how your S-video mod came out.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

chopperthedog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:27:26 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 01:46:01 pm »
Heh, getting ready to post my thread and saw this. It does look pretty cool. I had no problems drilling holes in mine though. Have fun with it.

good day.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 06:32:35 pm »
I think just to preserve the integrity of the unit I would be more about having the wires coming out of the original hole.  That's just me though. 

Slightly off topic.... I've noticed that a lot of video mod kits have you solder directly to the chip.  You would think, since these are a standard size, somebody would come up with a snap on harness that clips over the chip and makes contact with the exposed legs.... eliminating the need for soldering. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 07:47:45 pm »
I think just to preserve the integrity of the unit I would be more about having the wires coming out of the original hole.  That's just me though. 

Slightly off topic.... I've noticed that a lot of video mod kits have you solder directly to the chip.  You would think, since these are a standard size, somebody would come up with a snap on harness that clips over the chip and makes contact with the exposed legs.... eliminating the need for soldering.
The kits you see are probably almost a decade old, so I would think development has stopped. But it works.
I'm tempted to either add S-video or switch it back to RF since the Jr. I have looks better.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 10:44:11 pm by yotsuya »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 10:26:25 pm »
I just mean in general.  Like the genesis s-video mod does something similar, as does the recent NES rgb mod.  I suppose it would have to be done in high production runs to justify the cost of a mold, but a snap-on solution to standard pin sizes would be great for modding.  Then consoles wouldn't be "ruined" by having stuff soldered on to them and it would reduce the risk of a console being killed due to a shoddy mod attempt. 

If I knew anything about manufacturing I would be all over this for a kickstarter......  Sell the clips for a couple bucks a pop.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 03:02:22 am »

I haven't seen the insides of any other 2600's so I assume it's not always the case, but my TIA is socketed. Therefore You could have it so that the 'daugherboard' is sandwiched between the socket and the TIA.

If 2600's are all, or mostly socketed, you don't need no steenkin' kickstarter to do that! I might ask my guy what he's seen since he's done a number of them now.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 03:27:53 am »
Again though... I'm not just talking about 2600's, I mean mod chips in general.  It might be hard to squeeze a pcb between the chip and the socket with components on it... unless it's empty and just connects to the real pcb.  Also I don't know how the slots for the pins would be cut using that method... round holes are easy, rectangular ones aren't. 

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 04:52:08 am »
Again though... I'm not just talking about 2600's, I mean mod chips in general.  It might be hard to squeeze a pcb between the chip and the socket with components on it... unless it's empty and just connects to the real pcb.  Also I don't know how the slots for the pins would be cut using that method... round holes are easy, rectangular ones aren't.

Oh I see. I was thinking just for old stuff with socketed DIP chips. I can't imagine that in general it would be a worthwhile thing to to. If just 'clipping' on top as you say, it seems to me there would be a good chance of something not connecting after a while, since on a modern surface mount chip, the legs are pretty small. I think it is a great idea, but the R & D might not be worth something that you would only sell thousands of at most.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 04:42:18 pm »
I'm honestly not sure.  Team Xecuter has been around for decades so there must be some profit in mod chips, but I don't really know how they do in terms of numbers.  I know some time ago adafruit or one of those *unio companies did a run of NES controller sockets.... they sold them for 2 bucks a piece, which is probably a little overpriced for what they are, but is still more than reasonable. 

I'm really interested on the logistics involved in doing specialty parts like that.... it seems like the things missing a lot in this hobby are the misc widgets.  Like volcano buttons were scarce back in the day and what-not. 

Just thinking aloud though.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 05:26:47 am »
I'm honestly not sure.  Team Xecuter has been around for decades so there must be some profit in mod chips, but I don't really know how they do in terms of numbers.  I know some time ago adafruit or one of those *unio companies did a run of NES controller sockets.... they sold them for 2 bucks a piece, which is probably a little overpriced for what they are, but is still more than reasonable. 

I'm really interested on the logistics involved in doing specialty parts like that.... it seems like the things missing a lot in this hobby are the misc widgets.  Like volcano buttons were scarce back in the day and what-not. 

Just thinking aloud though.

Yeah, definitely if there is a will, there's a way (",)  Look at all the aftermarket stuff in the gaming world for instance. A great example is when my N64 power supply died. I found an aftermarket replacement without an problems. Who knows how long it will last, or if I end up getting electrocuted  ;D but the fact is, someone somewhere decided it was worth making and they did.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 04:17:31 pm »

My Wii is modded with a piggyback clip like that.  It's probably all about how many you'd actually sell.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 10:50:01 am »

There you go Howard! Who'd a thunk you could sell enough to warrant designing and manufacturing that?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 02:46:33 pm »

Had to remember where I got it.  Pretty sure this was it.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 02:59:49 pm »
Man, I installed one of those WiiKeys way back when.  Didn't realize that PCB was smaller than my fingernail when I bought it.  Offer to do it for my friends was quickly rescinded. 

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 03:05:16 pm »
It was definitely a tricky one with a weird fit.  I had issues with mine occasionally coming loose and having to resolder it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 07:21:35 pm »
Yeah it makes perfect sense for the Wii.  I remember debating over a mod chip until I saw the size of the solder points and then I was soft mod FTW. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 03:21:33 pm »
HackMii has been a godsend. I've done 4 Wiis since you guys told me about it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 11:30:11 pm »
Man we have ruined this thread.  360s and Wiis can be had for 30 bucks at gamestop (after a mail in rebate) for anyone interested. 

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2016, 06:17:06 am »
Man we have ruined this thread.  360s and Wiis can be had for 30 bucks at gamestop (after a mail in rebate) for anyone interested.

:duckhunt

Interesting to note that Chad had some issues along the lines I imagined when I thought it was a theoretical thing. That is, things coming lose.