Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 1st post, is my project feasible  (Read 14658 times)

geniusbits

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 27, 2019, 10:37:03 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
1st post, is my project feasible
« on: July 07, 2016, 04:17:08 pm »
Hello all, I am an inexperienced newbie who wants to know if my arcade cabinet project is doable. Advice would be appreciated as well
I want to build a sit-down, partially enclosed cabinet. Sort of like this:
I want to use a car bench seat so that 3 or so people could sit in there, couch size. I have a Sony Trinitron KV-32FV310 that I want to use as the monitor. Instead of MAME or an arcade board, I would like to have a shelf on the reverse side of the monitor (facing outwards) with consoles on it like a regular gaming setup. The RGB consoles would be routed through a SCART switcher and into a SCART to YUV transcoder, going into one of the component inputs in the TV. The second component input would be for component systems, which would be routed through a component switcher. I could also use an S-video switcher for systems I keep as S-video output.

I want to route sound separately, breaking it out at some point in the chain and either going into powered speakers or an amp and then speakers, that would be housed in the unit in a surround fashion. Outside of the major details, I would probably want to have some cool wired lights inside and some kind of marquee.

One other major detail and sticking point, how to route controllers. Since this will be a multi-console thing, I want to have a way to just wire the controllers through the cabinet to their consoles in the back so players can just pick up the appropriate controllers.

I'll end it there although I could ramble about more little details. I want to know if this makes sense to you guys and whether it seems possible. Essentially I want to mess the arcade experience with the couch, console experience, with a little bit of "fort-ness" to it, and use the highest quality video and audio I can, and have the whole thing comfortable and convenient to use.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: 1st post, is my project feasible
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 05:56:30 pm »
I may be missing something here but what you seem to be saying is you want to put a tv in abox andconnect several consoles through a splitter to it so you can play any of them while on a sofa?

If thats the case then yeah it sounds just like my old bedroom (pre girlfriend) just without the box.

I wouldnt get to caught up on sound/video though.
Remember if you are useing older consoles HD didnt exist and sound sampling was choppy at best!

tbird

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2016, 11:24:00 am
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 06:01:24 pm »
So firstly Bravo, my wife wouldn't let me get away with that. So it's completly feasible why are you looking for so many consoles why not just have a multi platform emulator that runs it all and have one set of controllers.

So let's say you went down the PC with emulation station on it, that would cover every console from atari5200 - N64 (also would include MAME)

Sound you could buy a set of 2.1 PC speakers plug them into the PC and then use an IPAc for the controllers . Job done lot less money and would do the job ..

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 07:03:13 pm »
Weather you go consoles or pc it's doable. I have a shelf of consoled in my bedroom. If you want multi consoles all hooked up, get a switch box of some kind.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 07:34:25 pm »
see how feasible it is...

take your TV and game system of your choice and stick it in a closet...close the door.
turn on the TV and play. in 3 hours see if you still like sitting in a box with a CRT TV.

source, played sega in a 6x6 storage room from 1991 to 1991. lasted about a week.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 07:51:51 pm »
That just cracked me up! LOL

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 07:57:14 pm »
Wait, you want a three-person cockpit? Shine on, you crazy diamond.

***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 10:06:34 pm »
now I'll get called an ---uvula--- for telling you this is a stupid idea. 
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 10:47:27 pm »
How many consoles do you have already? And do you have multi carts for all of them? Where do the games get stored how do you switch them? Browse? If only you could somehow virtually emulate all these consoles you wanted in one computer and play a ton of games with a Sony analog controller... ::) 

Sure it we be sweet if you could pop down a sun visor and pull out your 3.25 floppy in a disk drive you have for C64 support then you and your buddies could get your Zork on.... but why?

Most video game console  nerds I see build a shelf for all their systems.   Some are impressive as hell.  rCadegaming's setup sort of gives me a boner with all the video outputs and such...

DudeRegular

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2024, 10:50:27 pm
  • I have no idea what I am doing
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 11:12:45 pm »
now I'll get called an ---uvula--- for telling you this is a stupid idea.

He is just asking if its feasible not if its actually horrible. But ya. I agree.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 11:39:04 pm »
Build ideas like this keep me coming back to BYOAC. Thank You.

If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2024, 05:03:38 pm
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 07:37:37 am »
Wait, you want a three-person cockpit? Shine on, you crazy diamond.

:lol

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 09:32:20 am »
Tuned in to the thread, noticed the picture of the sweet sit down driving cab and smiled.  Then I read the rest of your post.  A three person seated semi enclosed console cab?  I am not attracted to the idea of sitting that close to two buddies while playing games.  Maybe my friends are sweaty-er than yours, but that sounds like a recipe for awkward man-closeness.  Can I ask why you want this semi enclosed design?  Seems like a couch and a stand alone entertainment center with a 65" LCD and all of your consoles displayed nicely in it would do the trick and not be so potentially...uncomfortable?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 09:34:10 am by smass »

geniusbits

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 10:59:18 am »
Tuned in to the thread, noticed the picture of the sweet sit down driving cab and smiled.  Then I read the rest of your post.  A three person seated semi enclosed console cab?  I am not attracted to the idea of sitting that close to two buddies while playing games.  Maybe my friends are sweaty-er than yours, but that sounds like a recipe for awkward man-closeness.  Can I ask why you want this semi enclosed design?  Seems like a couch and a stand alone entertainment center with a 65" LCD and all of your consoles displayed nicely in it would do the trick and not be so potentially...uncomfortable?
I like the idea of an enclosure. It will have open sides, like the commercial sit down cabinets like this

To reply to the rest of you guys, no I don't want to just sit down on a couch and play games on a TV. I want a sit down enclosed cabinet with my 32" CRT as the screen, and a comfortable multi-person seat. I am leaning towards car bench seats because they are sturdy and would be easy to mount onto a wooden frame.

The reason I want to go with consoles is because:
1) I already have most of the consoles I need, as well as all of the cables and switchers necessary for the setup I proposed in the OP
2) I prefer to play games on original hardware through a real CRT
3) this is a weirder reason, but I've noticed having the option to play ANY game makes people like likely to play any one game or play it through. I'd rather have 15 great games for each console in my setup and play them a lot, than have an emulator with 100-200 games/console that I just log onto and play 5 minutes of

To the person with the Leo meme, yes that is what I propose. A cab enclosure, using commercial consoles rather than arcade boards, but designed to fit multiple people. Perhaps stadium seating, with 2 rows of 2-person seats, would work better? The one spacial problem I can see is the need for increased width for the wide seating that would need to be tapered towards the monitor, or it could just a huge square thing.

It's a shame I'm not a draftsman or else I could mock up what I'm talking about, I think my description was insufficient based on a lot of these replies. Really what I'm looking for is advice on how to build the thing, like how to design it spatially. Here are a few more pictures that share some commonality with my vision:

Imagine in that last picture, on the out facing side behind the monitor, that there is an exposed shelf to hold consoles that are connected through switchers to the monitor framed in the cabinet.

geniusbits

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 11:06:03 am »
I'm open to criticism, like for example if you guys think I can achieve what I want in a very different design than some of the pictures I've posted, that I'm barking up the wrong tree. But this whole "just play your games on a couch" thing is not really reasonable. The only reason I don't want this to be a stand up cabinet style is because I don't want to stand up all day while playing an RPG or something. I don't know why I like the idea of the enclosure so much, just that it seems like things are more fun when you have an intentional space.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 11:13:17 am »
Perhaps stadium seating, with 2 rows of 2-person seats, would work better?

Whoa dude. Just take a moment to think about that...

I cannot consciously endorse someone build such a thing, but if you insist on doing it...you had better make it modular enough to fit the pieces through a door. Otherwise it will eternally live in the same spot you built it.

If you even manage to build something this big, please post your build progress here. I'll never believe you did unless I see pictures.

Good luck!
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 11:16:51 am »
But this whole "just play your games on a couch" thing is not really reasonable.

Pretty please with sugar on top make a build thread and post lots of pictures.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2016, 11:57:59 am »
Your time, your money, your ideas, your space, good luck with your build.

But I will say this, before you buy a piece of wood, before you cut anything up, before you buy a tool or anything you're going to need to create this, please, sketch your ideas out and design something that looks badass. Because that example you posted up above just, well, looks like ass. If you are going to do this, do it right.

monkeybomb

• PM me to find out how to get a custom title like mine!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 07:16:29 pm
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2016, 01:07:00 pm »
I would really stop and think about which of your friends would enjoy this and how often they are going to be over to do it.  I don't have any friends that would play with me on a set-up like this, other than to check it out.  Even there, none of them would sit in the middle or the back seat and the interest might just be polite interest.  And I don't want to sit that close to any of them for a couple of games of Madden.

Personally a one person set-up like this sounds kind of fun for console gaming, but I understand the small space appeal.  Many people don't get it and won't want to play in this for more than a few minutes, even other gamers.

So my recommendation is to build it for you and you alone.  Make it super comfortable, with places to put/hide controls and cords where it will appeal to your eyes and gaming environment.  Include your own weight and height in the equation, instead of a middle ground for everyone you know.  Do you have a nice cool room for this?  The small space will get hot for you if you play metroid straight through, let alone a week of Elder Scrolls.  Do you want to hide a fan?

Focus on how it looks second.  You should certainly avoid the "looks like ass" cabinet, but don't sacrifice comfort for the look on a place you are going to game for hours at a time.  This isn't a decoration and won't ever be unless you have a gaming room of at least 450 square.  It's too big to improve the look of most rooms.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2016, 01:22:10 pm »
I'm coming around on this idea

Call it "In-console-able"

Native controls neatly tucked away, vinyl wrapped MDF.  Maybe have some cool way to display the consoles.  Do you have a PC engine?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2016, 01:40:55 pm »
I would really stop and think about which of your friends would enjoy this and how often they are going to be over to do it.  I don't have any friends that would play with me on a set-up like this, other than to check it out.  Even there, none of them would sit in the middle or the back seat and the interest might just be polite interest.  And I don't want to sit that close to any of them for a couple of games of Madden.

Personally a one person set-up like this sounds kind of fun for console gaming, but I understand the small space appeal.  Many people don't get it and won't want to play in this for more than a few minutes, even other gamers.

So my recommendation is to build it for you and you alone.  Make it super comfortable, with places to put/hide controls and cords where it will appeal to your eyes and gaming environment.  Include your own weight and height in the equation, instead of a middle ground for everyone you know.  Do you have a nice cool room for this?  The small space will get hot for you if you play metroid straight through, let alone a week of Elder Scrolls.  Do you want to hide a fan?

Focus on how it looks second.  You should certainly avoid the "looks like ass" cabinet, but don't sacrifice comfort for the look on a place you are going to game for hours at a time.  This isn't a decoration and won't ever be unless you have a gaming room of at least 450 square.  It's too big to improve the look of most rooms.
I agree comfort is going to be important, but it doesn't have to be an eyesore either.

monkeybomb

• PM me to find out how to get a custom title like mine!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 07:16:29 pm
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2016, 02:20:54 pm »
I agree comfort is going to be important, but it doesn't have to be an eyesore either.

I don't disagree in terms of the cabinet itself, so let me clarify.  If the OP finds himself in a situation where the cab would have better airflow and more comfortable seating 5 inches wider, but it hurts a little on the look, add the 5".  When I say it's not a decoration, I'm not saying give up on the look and do whatever.  I just mean that if the room isn't large enough to absorb a structure like this, than he should have reasonable expectations regarding the final outcome of the aesthetics.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2016, 02:22:54 pm »

I don't disagree in terms of the cabinet itself, so let me clarify.  If the OP finds himself in a situation where the cab would have better airflow and more comfortable seating 5 inches wider, but it hurts a little on the look, add the 5".  When I say it's not a decoration, I'm not saying give up on the look and do whatever.  I just mean that if the room isn't large enough to absorb a structure like this, than he should have reasonable expectations regarding the final outcome of the aesthetics.
Agreed. I'm just afraid he's not taking the aesthetic into mind and just thinking it'd be cool to stick a couch in a box.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2016, 02:45:31 pm »
Must admit I dont really see the purpose of this either.

The sit in type cabs were only ever really for racing games. I know there are a few exceptions but generally they were the type of games you played for short periods of time and designed to add realism to the experience.

As someone said above 3 guys in a confined area over a period of time would probably become unpleasant.

I would sooner spend the money on some lazy boy recliners, A big ass tv and suround sound and a display case to kit out the living room.

If you do go ahead with it I would suggest going for seperate seats for a bit of comfort and give lots of consideration to ventilation etc and how you will move it in the future if you need to.

Afterall these things take up lots of room!!

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2016, 03:11:48 pm »

Agreed. I'm just afraid he's not taking the aesthetic into mind and just thinking it'd be cool to stick a couch in a box.

And I can't get my mind around why the OP would think it would be cool to stick a couch (or car bench seat) in a box.  To play console games?  Your couch is already in an enclosed box of sorts, its called A ROOM.  Two person cockpit for racing games?  Could be cool, just go bucket seats brah.  The only thing a bench seat is good for is hanky panky.  :)

Also had to add that the images that the OP has posted are all of one player cockpit cabs.  Maybe you are some sort of savant, but there is a reason you can't find a picture close to what you want to build, its cause no one has build such a thing.  Maybe everybody else is crazy and you are the savant :)  If you are dead set on the idea, its should be pretty easy to build.  Just start with a one player cockpit design that you like, and make it wider...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 03:17:31 pm by smass »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2016, 04:33:11 pm »
is my project feasible

I don't see any reason it can't be done.
It's not such a bad idea to have a comfy seat in the sweet spot of a surround sound system.
Player 2 and 3 won't have the same experience, but as long as you are player 1.  :D

Criticisms:

It may get annoying having to get out to switch games or reset the console.
That's an argument for making the accessible from inside or using emulators.

I'd have some type of ventilation system that moves a decent amount of air through the cab.

Bass from a subwoofer may not behave like you expect in an area this small. 
You may have a big spike in the mid-bass that makes everything sound like ass.
Swap the sub out for a butt kicker.

Experiment with your TV ahead of time.  Too close and you'll get the "screen door effect" where the black lines between the pixels are too visible.
TV will either have to be far enough away, or it will have to be 4k.  I have no experience with 4k TVs, but assume they lag more.

Don't forget the cupholders.  :cheers:

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 04:37:02 pm by BadMouth »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2016, 04:36:18 pm »
So, I used to have this car seat that was mounted to a rolling platform and had a swinging control panel on it that was meant solely to play Steel Battalion.  I didn't build it, but whoever did it did an admirable effort. 

When you got in the zone on that thing, it was very cool and immersive.  The problem was getting into that mindset.  I rarely find myself solely focused on one thing or even keeping still, and I imagine many are the same.  Texting, thumbing through BYOAC on my ipad, sipping a beer, having to take a leak every 25 minutes because of that beer, dealing with my pets, grabbing a snack, etc. All of that stuff gets much, much harder if you've got to clamber in and out of a gaming rig.

I have friends over almost weekly to hang out and play video games and it's damn near impossible to get them to touch anything other than my PS4 and my leather couch.  Yours may be different but I've found that their interest wanes quickly.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

geniusbits

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2016, 01:11:27 pm »
All good points.
Harvey Birdman, no I don't have a PC Engine. I currently have NES, SNES, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, Wii, PS2, N64 and a 3DO.

Does anyone have plans for any of those racer cabs I can modify for this project?

rovingmind

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2023, 11:13:48 pm
  • If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side
    • rovingmind
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2016, 03:32:29 am »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

geniusbits

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2016, 11:35:14 am »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2016, 07:21:56 pm »
Have you SAT in a SW Cockpit? You'll need to make it double - long as well as double wide.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2016, 08:12:59 pm »
I cannot even get inside an environmental Discs of Tron or Missile Command.

:dunno

rovingmind

• Offline Offline
    • rovingmind
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2016, 11:00:16 pm »
Have you SAT in a SW Cockpit? You'll need to make it double - long as well as double wide.

Sssshhh!  :D  I want to see it done.

I'm 6'5 and i've SQUEEZED into one.  i was 6' even when they came out and it was still worth squeezing in there.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2016, 11:44:29 pm »
A setup of 2-4 of identical linked drivers will absolutely blow whatever you think you are trying to build out of the water.

What you think you want to build is bad in dozens of ways. The only cockpits with multiple players inside were dual rail shooters like Jurassic Park.

Cheap version. $600 get a pair of linked mid 90s arcade drivers and be done with it.

Whatever you do avoid powering it with consoles, use PCs.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

rovingmind

• Offline Offline
    • rovingmind
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2016, 06:24:07 am »
If your bound and determined to do this, (mock it up with freezer boxes and invite the friends over to test the idea out) you should look into wireless controllers for ALL of your consoles.

I know most of them didn't come with, however as an example:
http://www.geek.com/games/it-took-31-years-but-the-nes-finally-has-a-wireless-controller-1653239/

It is the best option for what you are planning.

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2016, 10:12:53 am »
What size room are you going to put it in?  What size TV do you plan to use?  How many people sit on the couch at once? 

• Find the room you will do this in.
  • Add stuff until you get too cramped.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2016, 01:06:02 pm »
Wow, I definitely want to see 2 rows of seats.  Just make sure the back seats are elevated so they can see over the front seats.  Maybe you could add a little step ladder so they could climb up and in.  And forget bucket seats.  Go with two big bench seats.  Then when you fill it up with babes, they can just slide on over when they run out of quarters.   ;D

What color are you going to paint this big boy?

geniusbits

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2016, 02:52:34 pm »
Haha you guys, lots of opinions. One salient point is that no, I have never actually played a cockpit arcade cab so maybe I should try that before starting to make something.
Honestly I think I'm just weird and want something here that most people don't find appealing. That's ok.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2016, 02:54:34 pm »
build it!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2016, 03:42:00 pm »
Might I suggest building a blanket fort around your TV and calling it a day?