Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WiiU hacking  (Read 12578 times)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
WiiU hacking
« on: June 28, 2016, 11:51:15 pm »
So turns out this is pretty easy now.  Put a small program on your SD card, navigate to a special website in the Internet browser... And now you've got home brew channel and backup loaders going. 

Anyone here messing with it and have a preferred exploit?  I already own everything worth owning on this system so it's mostly a "just because I can" thing.

:cheers:

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
Re: WiiU hacking
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 12:00:45 am »
I did mine and a few others. I did the Lego batman exploit. (It was the cheapest exploitable game at gamestop)

I haven't tried the method you speak of.

Edit: Ok now I see you are referring to the new Wii u homebrew channel. I had no idea this was out.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 12:06:36 am »
I've been meaning to do this myself.  The virtual console and the fact that it's a hdmi system while keeping the av out gives it a lot of potential.  It's the only console I know of that can do true 240p and 1080p.... so you have options. 

What's holding me back is online play.  I don't want Mario Maker to shut down or to get banned from Mario Kart because I wanted the homebrew channel. 

That aside it's really small and can run everything from NES to Wii and everything in-between.

Also fairly recently the gamecube of all things got a major update in the homebrew scene.  Get a sd card adaptor, boot up wind waker with a special game save and you are in the homebrew.  It's pretty irrelevant except for the Gameboy player and the fact that they've made a custom app that runs it.... so no more paying 70 bucks for a Gameboy player that actually has the disc included.. 

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 01:59:42 am »
eh..shouldnt have sold my wii u lol

but then again I dont know why I had one in the first place. played the donkey kong game..didnt like it..sold it.. :dizzy:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 02:25:44 am »
So of all the gems on the Wii U you picked the one first party game that really isn't all that special?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 09:35:17 am »
Meh, WiiU is my biggest console regret besides the Atari Jaguar (and I bought that one cheap).  Should have known something was up when I got it for $60 off retail a few weeks after release.  It's almost comical how bad the user experience is on that system when you flip flop between it and a PS4.

Anyway, if anyone wants to play with it, here's my setup.  No Nintendo or copyrighted code in this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j5hed9vo4vxyb7g/WiiU_Clean.zip?dl=0

Dump it on an SD card, stick in your WiiU, fire up one of the URLs listed in readme.  That'll get you into Loadiine and serve as a proof of concept.  Steal games on your own.

SNAAKE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 12:53:21 pm »
works with any wii u firmware? just pick one up from gamestop and start messing it?

I totally forgot how the system even worked. all those older wii games are still backward compatible with wiimote and nunchucks right? even if I ever got it again it wont me for. I got 10-12 year old nephews they might be into it(non of played anything outside of mobile gaming lol)

SNAAKE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 12:54:45 pm »
So of all the gems on the Wii U you picked the one first party game that really isn't all that special?

give me a list..no I wont look for it lol

had mario kart..was alright but was short.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 01:00:03 pm »
Everything released by Nintendo with the exception of the throw-away stuff like Mario Party. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 02:50:11 pm »
works with any wii u firmware? just pick one up from gamestop and start messing it?

At this moment in time, yes.  Latest firmware is 5.5.1 and it works with that.  You'll want to block the Nintendo update servers at your firewall or use a DNS.

You can only run games off the SD card.  Online games supposedly don't work.  I don't care enough to try that.

Who knows if the functionality will ever get fleshed out.  So far this is the easiest hack I've ever done....

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 03:19:38 pm »

Wii U games off of SD now?  Last I checked it was only Wii games.  You could easily fit every Wii game worth playing on an SD card.  I just hadn't bothered with it.  I picked up a used Wii U from a friend a month ago.  We're having a lot of fun with it but admittedly our deal came with most of the first party games for $200.  Great deal.

Then the gamepad went to crap and I had to replace the wifi card and both analog sticks.  What a poorly built device the Wii U gamepad is.

SNAAKE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 04:49:41 pm »
^ thats probably why he made the thread. guessing his new hax run wiiu games now.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 05:26:59 pm »
Yes, WiiU games can run off SD now.  I tested it last night with a SNES emulator, some eshop/digital game, and Mario Tennis.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 06:17:22 pm »
I run all my wii games of a 500gb sata hard drive. I just use the SD card to store cover art and extra wad files. I will wait on the wii u hack for now, but I am very interested.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 06:40:20 pm »
Honestly, I think 256GB would completely cover it on a WiiU.  Seems like the big games are ~12GB each and the rest are ~3.  Unless you're just dying to have a complete library...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 11:38:05 pm »
Eh no online is a killer for me.  I really like online Mario Kart 8 and the whole point of Mario Maker is to constantly get new levels off the net.  I guess I'll wait a year or so until Nintendo kills the servers.  That being said that's pretty much it for online play.  Poor Nintendo really never has figured out this whole online thing. 

Anyway, to elaborate on what I was mentioning earlier.....

The wii has hdmi obviously, but it also has the multi-out which has rgb output.  In wii mode, virtual console games run at their native resolution, so 240p rgb for the nes.  I believe the wii u vc games run at a scaled 1080p.  So you can output it which ever way is best for your scaler/tv/ect.  Some people say the wii u/wii vc emulators are a tad blurry and that may be true, but compared to composite out on the nes it ain't bad. 

Btw I've never had trouble with the Wii U gamepad and I'm pretty hard on controllers.  My guess is kids were involved.

nexusmtz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2022, 03:14:22 am
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 02:17:19 am »
Honestly, I think 256GB would completely cover it on a WiiU.  Seems like the big games are ~12GB each and the rest are ~3.  Unless you're just dying to have a complete library...

I use a 256GB PNY card. I agree that's enough space unless you want to inject entire rom libraries as VC titles along with your games. Some people report faster loading times with more expensive cards, but it seems ok to me.

Eh no online is a killer for me.  I really like online Mario Kart 8 and the whole point of Mario Maker is to constantly get new levels off the net.  I guess I'll wait a year or so until Nintendo kills the servers.  That being said that's pretty much it for online play.  Poor Nintendo really never has figured out this whole online thing. 

If you're playing online now, then you're already at 5.5.1, so you're in good shape there. The exploit is temporary; you run it through the Internet Browser at each boot. When you want to play online, you turn on your machine, and... don't go to the web page that runs the exploit. That's all. Play your games as you always do (disc/eshop).

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 02:29:39 am »
I run all my wii games of a 500gb sata hard drive. I just use the SD card to store cover art and extra wad files. I will wait on the wii u hack for now, but I am very interested.

I have a 2TB hard drive (ustealth'd) for the old Wii games, and I use the same SD on the WiiU for both WiiU and vWii. Nearly everything for the WiiU goes under a directory called wiiu, so there's no conflict between the two. Go ahead and try the expliot.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 09:38:00 am »
Btw I've never had trouble with the Wii U gamepad and I'm pretty hard on controllers.  My guess is kids were involved.

Kids didn't kill the Wifi card.  It's a very common failure in the gamepad that usually manifests itself as shortening range and people assume it's a weak battery.  When I got mine it hadn't been used in quite a while and since the kid generally sat right in front of the TV nobody noticed.  The effective range of the gamepad was about 10' when I got it.  A week later it was 3'.  Ordered a new wifi card off ebay, swapped it out, and that increased to 25' through a wall.

No online is a killer for me too.  I might feel differently if I didn't already own a bunch of first party games.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 01:00:42 pm »
No online is a killer for me too.  I might feel differently if I didn't already own a bunch of first party games.

It was just said in this thread that the hack has NO effect on online play.  It's a per-boot thing.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 01:53:21 pm »

It was just said in this thread that the hack has NO effect on online play.  It's a per-boot thing.

Any subsequent OS patch could change that.  It's always a cat and mouse game.  The only thing that would cause optimism in that regard is that Nintendo never did ban hacked Wiis from online play.  They just sent down patches that overwrote the cios slots used in most of the softmods.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 02:21:05 pm »
Not only did they never ban anyone, they didn't even bother to patch up the Wii exploits on the WiiU.

Anyway, do what thou wilt.  My WiiU's a dust collector so I'm going to enjoy the hacks.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 04:24:48 pm »
Well it's like Chad said... I've got most of the first party titles anyway so atm it isn't a big deal.  I've still got to get Captain Toad and Star Fox Zero and I think that's it. 

SFZ got bad reviews so I'm on the fence with that one, but I know back in the day many Wii games with motion controls got poor reviews because some people are unable to deal with motion controls.... I've mostly loved them, so I might give it a chance anyway. 

I'm just kind of ticked that the xb1/ps4 drought is finally over.  I'm feeling bad, short on cash, and NOW they release all this stuff like Doom and Mirror's Edge.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 04:48:15 pm »
Have you tried the Doom demo?  I made it about 10 minutes before I got bored with it.

Captain Toad is all of about 700mb, fwiw.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 09:13:01 pm »
From what I've been told, the demo isn't representative of the game at all.  It's the single player experience I'm after.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2016, 04:13:05 pm »
From what I've been told, the demo isn't representative of the game at all.

That doesn't sound like a very effective demo.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2016, 04:18:47 pm »
It's a single level from the game... and it's single player... so I'm not sure what he was blathering about.

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2016, 02:01:45 am »
For anyone who hasn't been keeping up, public implementations of a known IOSU exploit are now available which have reignited interest in WiiU hacks.

Likely as a side-effect of that availability, since the timing is coincident, a Brazilian team discovered* that with a two-byte modification to the ticket file of existing disc dumps, that ticket could be used to permanently install the eshop version of the same game to NAND or USB.

The advantage to that method over the Loadiine backup loader, is that once the title is installed, it's on the console's menu natively, i.e. no exploit is necessary to run the title, online play works, and loading speed is faster than running from the SD card.

*I say 'discovered' but what probably happened is that having IOSU access allowed the team to read the files from the disc, and what they discovered is that the files in the released WUD dumps differed from the files that they were reading via IOSU -  consistently at those two bytes. In other words, the tickets on the discs have always been the right tickets for installing the eshop version as well, but using the extracted ticket from the disc dump didn't work because those two bytes were either dumped or stored incorrectly.

Whatever the actual discovery was, people have been having a field day installing titles on their systems, and nobody has reported that they've bricked their systems.

Cautious users suggest holding off until full custom firmware and NAND emulation are available, since unlike the exploit, these installs have a permanent effect on the system. Others note, as pbj did, that Nintendo didn't ban people on the Wii as long as they didn't alter the game, and that point, combined with the focus on Switch, makes it very low risk.

So WiiU hacking is hitting it's stride, but it still has a way to go. This week's progress makes it possible to load and run eshop versions of disc games (if they have the same title ID) but only because the disc tickets obviously can't be console-specific. Installing eshop-only titles isn't possible yet because everyone's tickets from those titles are only good on the console they're extracted from.

Have fun if you're into this kind of thing.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2016, 03:49:08 am »
Well that makes things a bit simpler.  I think I'll still hold out though for a little while longer.   

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2016, 11:08:45 am »
Well, that's pretty neat.  Guess I'll go scrounge up an external hard drive...

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2016, 10:10:13 pm »
This is pretty much the hack we've been waiting for.

There are programs out there that grab the games off Nintendo servers and do the patch automatically.  Once the game is installed, it's indistinguishable from a purchased Eshop game.  Supports external storage.

Probably going to toss a 128GB thumb drive on this thing and call it done.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2016, 10:48:08 pm »
Man you've got to think they are going to kill that though.  Pulling an iOS off the servers is one thing, pulling a multi-gigabyte file is another. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2016, 11:05:06 pm »
Who knows... People have done it with 3DS games for years.... Start running wget now.

:lol

Only issue I've noticed is when I installed Captain Toad this way, it apparently nuked the save I had from my Loadiine copy.  Firing it back up in Loadiine shows that progress is lost.  So maybe don't do this if you're concerned about keeping old progress.  When I installed Mario Maker, my saves from my legit disc copy were still there, so...

:dunno

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2016, 11:52:01 pm »
Since Loadiine uses its own saves, I don't know why the two would be related. You can copy saves to and from the NAND with Saviine, but the two should be independent. If you used the same SD card for loading up the games as you normally use for Loadiine, run a chkdsk on it, and check the files in sd:/wiiu/saves for indications of corruption.

The only thing I recall related to saves is that you're supposed to copy your save from NAND to USB before you install the game on USB.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2016, 09:40:31 am »
Yeah, I thought about it and recalled that I had some trouble with Captain Toad and Loadiine.  I think it's entirely possible I had two copies of it on that card, and deleted one of them to make space last night when I was checking everything.  So disregard the above post, I cuck socks.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2016, 05:08:12 pm »
Game Stop is selling used units for $199.  Still a bit too much for what you get.  If they drop to $99 I would buy one.

I like the new Nintendoh console.  Is it called the NX?
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2016, 05:23:08 pm »
Nintendo has been selling them for $200 "refurbished" forever. 

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod150200

I paid $290 new after Christmas when they launched because the seller was desperate to get rid of them.  Should have seen the writing on the wall then....

I'm sure some ridiculous bundle will come out soon to move the remaining units, but $200 gets you into an Xbox One these days so good luck, Nintendo.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2016, 10:33:03 am »

They are much lower on the local secondary scene.  I got my Wii U for $200 with a bunch of games off of a Facebook yard sale site.  Many of the games were first party stuff that still sell for $40+ at Gamestop.  The only catch was that the gamepad was having some of the typical issues.  I had to replace the wifi card and clean out the analog sticks.  The process took maybe a half hour.

SNAAKE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2016, 01:32:52 pm »
I traded an xbox for mine..paid like $30 for that xbox lol. of course I had to do my magic to the xbox first  :applaud:

but then I sold the wii u too lol..might get another one to mess with it maybe..
refresh my memory a little bit, old wii games still work in wii u right?

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2016, 01:40:52 pm »
I traded an xbox for mine..paid like $30 for that xbox lol. of course I had to do my magic to the xbox first  :applaud:

but then I sold the wii u too lol..might get another one to mess with it maybe..
refresh my memory a little bit, old wii games still work in wii u right?
Yes they do. And u can add the home brew channel to the Wiig menu just like the old wii.