Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Basketball Arcade Game  (Read 9289 times)

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
Basketball Arcade Game
« on: June 27, 2016, 03:56:15 pm »
Wife complained about not having a Skeeball or Basketball style arcade game yet.  Both commercial arcade versions are a couple grand and I didn't feel like paying that, so decided to start with building a basketball one.  Thought about making it 8 feet long but it didn't jive so I made it 6 feet long with a 4 foot high backboard.  The rim in these pictures is a standard 18" but it feels too easy with that, so I'm going to try a 15" trick rim and see if that ups the difficulty.  The brains will be an Arduino with multiple versions of Gameplay/players.

Build so far is Sanded Ply with 2x4's.  I plan to use 1x2's for the posts to hold up the netting.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:14:17 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Basketball Arcade Game
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 04:10:46 pm »
Watching with interest.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 04:36:34 pm »

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:49:40 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 05:27:54 pm »
Not sure what you were planning on doing software-wise, but I created a game called "Free Hoops" that is pretty customizable if you are just looking for a simple 1 or 2 player basketball game.  It runs in Windows... it's not optimized at all so I don't know how well it would work on an Arduino.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=143722.0

Either way, I'm watching this thread with interest!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 05:33:55 pm by thatpurplestuff »

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 09:11:34 am »
Not sure what you were planning on doing software-wise, but I created a game called "Free Hoops" that is pretty customizable if you are just looking for a simple 1 or 2 player basketball game.  It runs in Windows... it's not optimized at all so I don't know how well it would work on an Arduino.

Nice!  The challenge there, is I plan to use IR to denote when a basketball goes through the hoop, so if your program had the drivers to interpret and translate it, then it would work.  The Arduino was a choice due to code I already found that utilizes an LCD screen and IR.

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 03:21:48 pm »

Nice!  The challenge there, is I plan to use IR to denote when a basketball goes through the hoop, so if your program had the drivers to interpret and translate it, then it would work.  The Arduino was a choice due to code I already found that utilizes an LCD screen and IR.

The Free Hoops software is basically a vastly simplified version of the software that I've got running in my Skeeball machine, and all of the Skeeball holes use IR beam break sensors for detection.  They are currently being driven by a Keywiz, but if you can make your Arduino simulate a keypress when the IR sensor is triggered then you should be able to use the software no problem.

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

JudgeRob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 10:03:03 pm »
Nice dude, this looks interesting!

if you can make your Arduino simulate a keypress

If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know!  :)

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 11:36:09 am »
The Free Hoops software is basically a vastly simplified version of the software that I've got running in my Skeeball machine, and all of the Skeeball holes use IR beam break sensors for detection.  They are currently being driven by a Keywiz, but if you can make your Arduino simulate a keypress when the IR sensor is triggered then you should be able to use the software no problem.

Making an Arduino simulate a key press is counter productive, lol but what you've described is very interesting.  So how do you work the IR?  Do you have it always on and when the IR is broken it triggers a break?  Can you make it four players but one player at a time?  Can you include sounds?  Can you change the timer?

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:14:17 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 12:18:30 pm »
https://www.google.com/#q=beam+break+sensor+arduino

Right, that's what I was already using for the Arduino, but for Windows and KeyWhiz I was wondering what they did.

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 12:44:02 pm »

Making an Arduino simulate a key press is counter productive, lol but what you've described is very interesting.  So how do you work the IR?  Do you have it always on and when the IR is broken it triggers a break?  Can you make it four players but one player at a time?  Can you include sounds?  Can you change the timer?

Not sure how you'd go about implementing it with an Arduino, but using the Keywiz it's as simple as wiring the sensor (https://www.adafruit.com/product/2168) like a standard pushbutton.  The sensor has the circuit open when the beam is unbroken, and when an object breaks the beam it closes the circuit and the Keywiz recognizes it as a button press.  I have been very pleasantly surprised with the accuracy of the sensors and they are plug and play with the necessary resistors already included.

The game only allows for simultaneous play, not turn-based play so it's either 1 player or 2 players at the same time.  It has a GlobalSettings.txt file where music/sounds are configurable, timer is configurable, graphics are configurable, you can turn high scores on/off, and you can turn on/off a "Blitz" feature that makes shots made in the last X seconds worth X bonus points.  The only requirements for the game are that you use Windows and have 3 buttons to navigate the menu (up, down, and start) and at least 1 input to act as basket detection (2 if you want 2 players).

The game is made entirely with ActionScript2 and I am just a hobbyist with little programming knowledge, so input methods are limited to keystrokes.

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 01:09:14 pm »

Not sure how you'd go about implementing it with an Arduino, but using the Keywiz it's as simple as wiring the sensor (https://www.adafruit.com/product/2168) like a standard pushbutton.  The sensor has the circuit open when the beam is unbroken, and when an object breaks the beam it closes the circuit and the Keywiz recognizes it as a button press.  I have been very pleasantly surprised with the accuracy of the sensors and they are plug and play with the necessary resistors already included.

The game only allows for simultaneous play, not turn-based play so it's either 1 player or 2 players at the same time.  It has a GlobalSettings.txt file where music/sounds are configurable, timer is configurable, graphics are configurable, you can turn high scores on/off, and you can turn on/off a "Blitz" feature that makes shots made in the last X seconds worth X bonus points.  The only requirements for the game are that you use Windows and have 3 buttons to navigate the menu (up, down, and start) and at least 1 input to act as basket detection (2 if you want 2 players).

The game is made entirely with ActionScript2 and I am just a hobbyist with little programming knowledge, so input methods are limited to keystrokes.

Open source?  I'd be interested in changing it to be turn based, as there will only be one hoop.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 02:46:01 pm »
Open source?  I'd be interested in changing it to be turn based, as there will only be one hoop.

Whats the difference between turn based 2 player game, and 2 players taking a turn playing a 1 player game?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 08:00:40 pm »

Whats the difference between turn based 2 player game, and 2 players taking a turn playing a 1 player game?

Asthetics/Semantics.  If two players cannot play side by side, the option for both playing at the same time should be removed or not present.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 09:59:27 pm »

Asthetics/Semantics.  If two players cannot play side by side, the option for both playing at the same time should be removed or not present.

I think I misread/misunderstood, we're on the same page  :cheers:
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 05:00:10 pm »
Was gone on vacation for 14 days but before I left I finished building it.  Now I need to enable/install electronics and then I will tear it down to get it out of the shop and into the basement proper and then paint/re-assembly and get overlays and graphics on it.

Can't seem to find the capability to embed it, so here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/v/EILYGkywGek

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 06:00:46 pm »
Just change https:// to http:// and it will embed.

You're a LOT better at that than I am!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:11:31 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 06:09:07 pm »
Can't seem to find the capability to embed it, so here's the link.
It's probably because you used the URL provided by youtube when you right-click on the video and select "copy video URL".
(doesn't contain "watch?v")
Code: [Select]
https://youtu.be/EILYGkywGek
Use the URL from your browser (contains "watch?v") and change from "https" to "http" -- no tags needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EILYGkywGek
To:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EILYGkywGek
Result:

Scott

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2021, 12:21:47 pm »
Whew, it's been ages, but I finally got the majority of the POC finished and then worked on some of the electronics.  I'll make another post with lots more data but here's a video using @thatpurplestuff's "Free Hoops".

Lots to finalize but the fam had a blast during the holidays shooting.