Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Super Off-Road Multi 360  (Read 3300 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Super Off-Road Multi 360
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2016, 10:02:48 pm »
There are some mixed up terms on this thread, I think he got it backwards. 

Brief primer:

coax composite = all audio and video through a single wire converted to a tv broadcast, usually fed through the cable input via a switch box.... 480i/576i or less and a horrible picture

rca Composite = all video through a single yellow rca cable.  480i/576i and a blurry picture

s-video = luma and chroma are sent separately, still typically 480i/576i.  If a computer video card claims to output a higher resolution it's simply rendering in that resolution and down-sampling to the interlaced resolutions in many cases

rca component = red, blue and luma all have separate rca connections.  Practically, but not quite rgb quality.  Can output 480p and HD resolutions. 

svga = analog rgb, no max resolution

hdmi/dvi = digital rgb, hd quality

The reason you are having trouble reading windows isn't necessarily the sharpness but the 480i limitation.  Interlaced is really two 320x240 frames kludged together, which tends to make text on a computer look like crap.  The only way to make it look better is to either dramatically increase the size of the font, or try to get windows running at 320x240.   Both solutions have their drawbacks.  The only way to make windows look decent is to use a connection that'll support 480p or higher.  It's the main reason most of my cabinets now have either a svga crt or a hdmi monitor.

n3wt0n

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2016, 10:29:29 am »
Hi Howard,

Thanks for the primer. I was aware that RCA coax or lower was going to be the standard option on most TV's but I assumed that S-video was going to yield the best results. I am actually pretty happy with the s-video results in game and the video card I had available has s-video outputs. In your opinion, is it worth it to pursue RCA component over s-video?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2016, 01:01:52 pm »
S-video gives a better picture, but only slightly.  It takes care of most color bleeding, particularly red, which improves sharpness. 

Well you can't pursue component because, to my knowledge at least, no pc video card was ever manufactured to output component.  The next step up is svga, which I'm assuming your card already has, or dvi/hdmi.   

That being said, if the tv you are using has component in, it might actually be worth it to find an adapter box as that would bump you up to 480p. 

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • My arcade cabinet has a cup holder.
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2016, 01:48:48 pm »
All the video cards I've had with s-video output also had component out.  (Like 4 or 5 of them, Nvidia 8600-9800 series).  The s-video out connection has more pins than needed for s-video.  An s-video cable could be plugged directly in the card directly and it would work, but an included pigtail could be used instead.  The pigtail had more pins on the connector than s-vid and had s-video, component, and composite outputs.  The annoying part was that it couldn't auto detect what you were using.  You had to set the output type in the nvidia software first.

The picture using component was much better and text easier to read, but I used s-video instead because I was using act labs s-video light guns.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2016, 01:57:22 pm »
Huh.  Must be a NVidia feature then.  I've had several ati with s-video and while they had more pins as you described, component was never mentioned in the manual.

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
    • For Amusement Only e.V.
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2016, 09:43:37 am »
Please note, the TV-Out feature off any semi modern graphics card will output 480i / 576i in most cases
I do all that stuff even without a Joystick ;)
Soft-15kHz, cabMAME, For Amusement Only e.V.

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2016, 08:57:53 am »
I'm going to post this in the buy/sell section as well but I am looking for a gear or two off a super-off road. Apparently there are two different size of teeth, one with really fine teeth and then the one I need. This is a pic of the gear I need. I have two of these already so any help would be great as it will allow me to carry on with three of the same size gear.

Thanks,
n3wt0n

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2016, 05:04:20 pm »

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2016, 05:10:23 pm »
That gear looks like a spur gear from a r/c car.

http://www.rcsuperstore.com/Traxxas-54T-Spur-Gear-Jato-T-Maxx-3-3-p/tra3956.htm

It does look like a spur gear. Thanks for the link.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2016, 06:37:06 pm »
Any rc hobby store should have one.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2016, 04:42:40 pm »
Can anyone recommend a simple frontend that can scroll horizontally when the wheel is turned? I plan on only putting a handful of games on this and was thinking of displaying just the marquees of the games with a blurred screenshot in the background. No favorites, nothing fancy. Real clean and simple.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2017, 05:24:47 pm »
Use Hyperspin, you can really strip it down and it has mouse and spinner support.

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2017, 05:36:48 pm »
Use Hyperspin, you can really strip it down and it has mouse and spinner support.

Thanks Brian. I will take a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2017, 04:17:42 am »
Use FEEL instead : it' s fast, good looking and it's the choice i made for my racing cab.
I made an animated low res layout for racing games that is included in the main package.
http://feelfrontend.altervista.org

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2017, 09:52:27 am »
Okay folks it's time for me to step into uncharted territory and turn my arduino mega into the controller for this project. SailorSat has graciously provided code in github for me but I have some questions about getting started.

First of all, do I need to set up the Arduino Mega on the actual computer I am planning on using? It is running a really old version of XP. Or, can I set it up it on my laptop or desktop that are running windows 10 and then once set up plug it into the older machine? Will this cause issues? Or is it just better to  work directlyon the old machine?

Also, I don't really know what I am looking at as far as code here. (This is a link to SailorSats github repository)
https://github.com/SailorSat/daytona-utils/tree/master/OffroadArduino

There are two files for what I believe to be the Offroad code. Do they both do different things and am I supposed to use both? I know the lower one with the .ino extension is a sketch (that I believe I cut and paste into the arduino sketch editor). From what I can tell the .ino code looks like it takes care of all the buttons, the pedal pots and the steering input but, what is the .h file for?

Any help you could provide would be very appreciated and please be gentle on the new guy, lol.

Jeremy

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2017, 12:48:48 am »
You can upload your sketches to your arduino from what PC you prefer, with what O.S. you like the most  (i had issues only with vista): it will work in any other PC after installing the drivers. Driver installation is different from OS to OS, but there are detailed instructions on the net.

I have not had the time to take a look at the code she wrotes for you, sorry.

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2017, 06:13:55 am »
You can upload your sketches to your arduino from what PC you prefer, with what O.S. you like the most  (i had issues only with vista): it will work in any other PC after installing the drivers. Driver installation is different from OS to OS, but there are detailed instructions on the net.

I have not had the time to take a look at the code she wrotes for you, sorry.

Thank you Baritonomarchetto. That will be enough to get me started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31