Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: enlarging hole in control panel  (Read 1230 times)

deadmoney5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2020, 11:02:02 pm
  • I don't feel tardy
enlarging hole in control panel
« on: June 13, 2018, 12:09:14 pm »
I have a bartop from Haruman that I've had a couple years now.  I had it as a dedicated 4-way setup. I decided to buy an Ultrastik 360 recently with the front mount restrictors.  However I just realized that the hole in the control panel is a little too small to accomodate the restrictor.

The area to mount the joystick is recessed so I'd  guessing the wood is around 1/2" thick where the hole is.  How hard would it be to enlarge the hole a little without ruining the panel and artwork too much?

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:30:56 am
Re: enlarging hole in control panel
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 12:11:50 pm »
So the recessed area underneath the control panel is not large enough to accommodate the new joystick?  All you have to do it get a router and a straight bit, set the depth and make the recessed area bigger.  Shouldn't be too hard. Or am I not understanding your question?  A pic would help...

deadmoney5

• Offline Offline
  • I don't feel tardy
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 12:49:55 pm »
Sorry I'm at work.  The recessed area is fine.  The hole where the joystick handle goes through is too small for the Ultrastik front restrictor.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:30:56 am
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 01:23:46 pm »
Got it.  This is easy too assuming you have a forstner bit you can use to drill the bigger hole.  Get a piece of scrap, cut it and put it in the existing hole so it cannot wiggle around (can be a square).  Find the center point and drill out the new hole.  You just need something centered for the bit to grab into.  I just had to do this about a week ago.  Like this:

deadmoney5

• Offline Offline
  • I don't feel tardy
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 03:33:11 pm »
That makes sense

thanks!