Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gingerballs, backglass and DOF feedback! now with new guts!  (Read 45496 times)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Sweet. Can't wait to see the toys you put in it.

Just 7 solenoids. I bought an 8 relay USB board and used up 7. Might add another for a knocker. Solenoids are set up to make contact at nearly the  end of stroke, keeps the effect from being too powerful for such a tiny pin. I still have a TON of kinks to work out (like why force feedback works on T2 and Comet but not on Elvira or Medieval Madness) but the foundation has been laid!

Solenoid boards installed:

SainSMart USB controller and all them power and ground wires done:

Big thanks to "thagerty" for wiring and config help.

Video of it in action:

Solenoids Fire for the following:
left flipper
right flipper
left slingshot
right slingshot
left pop bumper
center pop bumper
right pop bumper

If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

thagerty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2020, 11:30:19 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,150352.0.html
Sweet. Can't wait to see the toys you put in it.

Just 7 solenoids. I bought an 8 relay USB board and used up 7. Might add another for a knocker. Solenoids are set up to make contact at nearly the  end of stroke, keeps the effect from being too powerful for such a tiny pin. I still have a TON of kinks to work out (like why force feedback works on T2 and Comet but not on Elvira or Medieval Madness) but the foundation has been laid!

Solenoid boards installed:

SainSMart USB controller and all them power and ground wires done:

Big thanks to "thagerty" for wiring and config help.

Video of it in action:

Solenoids Fire for the following:
left flipper
right flipper
left slingshot
right slingshot
left pop bumper
center pop bumper
right pop bumper

I've been so busy adding feedback to my own cabinet, that I've missed this thread.

Looks great! Love the name! (me being a ginger can appreciate it)

So you were able to get all the solenoids working in DOF?  Ideally if you got your config files all sorted out, most tables would be good to go.....as long as you have db2s enabled on each of those tables! Its not a one config kind of thing. You may have to go into EVERY table and change the configuration in the "script" so that instead of using VPinMAME, it uses either B2S, or DB2S, etc....    Its the db2s server that DOF works through to fire your solenoids, so that's why you need to do this.  I did it for all of my 150+ Visual Pinball tables!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
Re: RedHead KingPinball aka Gingerballs,2nd screen working and bonus video!
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2016, 08:38:32 am »
So you were able to get all the solenoids working in DOF?  Ideally if you got your config files all sorted out, most tables would be good to go.....as long as you have db2s enabled on each of those tables! Its not a one config kind of thing. You may have to go into EVERY table and change the configuration in the "script" so that instead of using VPinMAME, it uses either B2S, or DB2S, etc....    Its the db2s server that DOF works through to fire your solenoids, so that's why you need to do this.  I did it for all of my 150+ Visual Pinball tables!

Solenoids work in DOF just fine. I only have 8 tables installed all with B2S running on them. Comet and T2 are my big go to test tables , Cause I have a Comet and I want a T2.

Tables I have that DOF works:
Comet
Terminator 2

Tables where DOF doesnt work:
Street Fighter II
Medieval Madness
Scared Stiff

Tables I have but havent tested DOF:
Simpsons
Simpsons Party Pinball
Tales of the Arabian Nights

thagerty

• Offline Offline
Re: RedHead KingPinball aka Gingerballs, backglass screen and DOF feedback!
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2016, 11:34:06 am »
I won't pretend to have the all in one answer here....but for tables that aren't giving you dof, open the script for the table.

You are looking for something along the lines of this:

Set Controller = CreateObject("VPinMAME.Controller")

and change it to this:

Set Controller = CreateObject("B2S.Server")

Try it...if it works then save the table!

Some tables may have some right at teh beginning of the script that will change this for you if you change an "option" to a 1,2,3 or 4.   Usually letting you pick between VPinMAME, UVP, B2S, B2S not mech sounds.

Give that a try.

You could also read threads like this, but don't look at me....I probably did things the hard way!   :)

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=30210&page=2

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2016, 12:00:45 pm »
Set Controller = CreateObject("VPinMAME.Controller")

and change it to this:

Set Controller = CreateObject("B2S.Server")

Already did all that to get the backglasses working.  I think its just an issue with the table version I have. Seems my biggest issue is that I'm still using some older version of VP9 tables and I need to just stick with VPX tables. Just not sure the computer I shoved in the mini pin cab can handle it. Only 1 way to find out!

thagerty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2016, 12:13:15 pm »
I do use the older versions of tables until a newer VPX version comes out. VPX tables are looking pretty good. Not quite Future Pinball graphics (with BAM new renderer), but still nice!

You can always have both old and new. If using Pinball X, just have a sub menu for only older VP9 tables, and another for VPX, etc...  That's what I have. Each of the VP versions have different sub menus, (VP9,PM5,VPX), while all of them combined have another menu, as well as all of them showing in my main menu of all systems.

Check out VPinball, VPUniverse, and VPForums. for newer VPX tables. If you want the newer Stern (SAM) tables (The Walking Dead), you need to install a newer custom version of PinMAME from VPUniverse that supports that.  You will also need to make sure you have the needed roms for those, also from VPUniverse.

VPinball and VPUniverse have the newest VPX tables, I find.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2016, 08:48:07 pm »
turns out the issue is, some of the backglasses I use were EXEs. If the B2S is an EXE DOF wont work.

My CPU cant handle VP10, Im seeing what upgrade options I have available. Its time like this I wish TK had more modder systems. The mobo is a LGA1156 so my best option is an i7-870 , I need to snag some more DDR3 Ram too (only 4GB in the machine)

thagerty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2016, 10:30:19 pm »
One thing you can do for tables that run slow, is to have the B2S "skip frames", etc in it's settings.

Also, try running a table WITHOUT the B2S file and see if it runs better. (disable error popups in B2S settings so you can use DOF without a B2S backglass running). If you are using a front end like Pinball X, you can always just have a still picture for the backglass instead of a video or B2S running.

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2016, 10:54:09 pm »
Where did you get the solenoids?

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2016, 11:00:37 pm »
ebay or aliexpress, amazon

ZYE1-0837ZP

So i take it this setup only works with Visual Pinball, no future pinball?

thagerty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2016, 11:21:42 pm »
Future Pinball can only use Led-Wiz to control feedback and lighting (solenoids, RGB light, toys). I have my LED-Wiz control a Sainsmart NON-USB version for my solenoids.

Led-Wiz support has to be programmed into the script yourself for EVERY table. (unless someone else already has done it)

Not too many tables have this done already. The Getaway has it, but none of SLAMT1LT's tables have it for example.

Visual Pinball is able to have all this be automatic because of its use of the original roms and because of how DOF works with that. (Future Pinball does not use roms)

You "can" have the Future Pinball flippers and some RGB lighting controlled by using a program called DOFFX2. It allows the control of your LED-Wiz outputs by keyboard keys using DOF! I use it for Pinball FX2 and The Pinball Arcade.  Look at my Youtube channel or my PinKadia build thread for more info and a demo.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 11:25:56 pm by thagerty »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2016, 11:33:39 am »
Im going to go ahead and update my project if you guys dont mind :p
No shots of the front end yet, but Im running PinballX. All the tables that werent working with force feedback now are. I had to replace the EXE backglass with a b2s backglass.

Here's an old shot of the head folded down:

I went back to silver rails, I just like em better.

Updated VpinMAME and  my ROMs to include Stern SAM tables.

(bonus shot of my wife's knees!)

Added another pin I'd buy if it came up for sale around me:

And got all the Pinball FX2 tables and backglasses up and running. Well, all the ones I own. I dont own the aliens pack or the football/soccer reskins

All thats rerally left is to add a ---fudgesicle--- ton of table and maybe improve the hardware inside a bit.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 11:35:44 am by Malenko »

thagerty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2016, 01:05:26 pm »
Looks great! Love how people come up with mini-pin ideas.  MUCH easier to move around that's for sure!

I recently just got VPX running in exclusive full screen, which runs soooo much better! It's a bit of a tricky setup, but its so nice seeing those tables with everything maxed out running buttery smooth like it should (I have a gtx 960).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 04:14:02 pm by thagerty »

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2016, 03:54:28 pm »
If there is a catagory for minipins this year you have my nomination.  If not im still nominating in bart tops.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2016, 08:28:54 pm »
If there is a catagory for minipins this year you have my nomination.  If not im still nominating in bart tops.

Yours is better bro!

So Long time no update. I replaced the old dual core i5 with an i7 870 , the fastest CPU this mobo will support.

Turned on Vsync and everything is much smoother and plays much nicer. PhysMod5 tables play but there aren't enough of them I like to bother replacing existing tables.
I have enough spare parts to maybe completely replace the PC inside this set up, if so I'll rewire everything and make it much nicer the 8th time around. I'll even put the solenoid drive board in the back glass box along with a free play knocker :)  I did move everything off the laptop hard drive and over to the SSD to both free up some room inside and improve loading times. New computer or old, its going to get upgraded to 8 or 16 GB of RAM as well.

I'm up to 60 or so tables completely set up, Im basically going down the top 100 list from the pinball database and getting what I can and mixing in games I like that might not be ranked very high (like Comet!)
I'll shoot a video or two of the front end and tables in action. Force feedback was a great idea, not having it on the pinball FX2 tables makes me want to not have them loaded :/

Rails were off cause I was moving stuff around underneath the LCD. I need to make or order up some shorter DVI and other wires.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2016, 08:56:26 pm »
Are you still using micro switch flippers? If so you should totally get the micro leafs from groovygamegear.com
I am really enjoying them.
Also there is a way to use force feedback in pinballfx2 but it only activates when you press a button. So the solenoids will only fire when you press the flippers or the ball launch. Not ideal but it's a start.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2016, 09:06:45 pm »
Are you still using micro switch flippers? If so you should totally get the micro leafs from groovygamegear.com
Also there is a way to use force feedback in pinballfx2 but it only activates when you press a button. So the solenoids will only fire when you press the flippers or the ball launch. Not ideal but it's a start.

Thought about it, quickly turning this cab from spare parts build to a money sink :)
I heard about the PBFX2 mod, most of the tables dont even have pop bumpers, so it might be worth it. Kinda hurts to go from 110 tables to 60 just by disabling PBFX2 :p

thagerty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2016, 09:09:31 pm »

Yours is better bro!

So Long time no update. I replaced the old dual core i5 with an i7 870 , the fastest CPU this mobo will support.

Turned on Vsync and everything is much smoother and plays much nicer. PhysMod5 tables play but there aren't enough of them I like to bother replacing existing tables.
I have enough spare parts to maybe completely replace the PC inside this set up, if so I'll rewire everything and make it much nicer the 8th time around. I'll even put the solenoid drive board in the back glass box along with a free play knocker :)  I did move everything off the laptop hard drive and over to the SSD to both free up some room inside and improve loading times. New computer or old, its going to get upgraded to 8 or 16 GB of RAM as well.

I'm up to 60 or so tables completely set up, Im basically going down the top 100 list from the pinball database and getting what I can and mixing in games I like that might not be ranked very high (like Comet!)
I'll shoot a video or two of the front end and tables in action. Force feedback was a great idea, not having it on the pinball FX2 tables makes me want to not have them loaded :/

Rails were off cause I was moving stuff around underneath the LCD. I need to make or order up some shorter DVI and other wires.

Actually, if you have LED-Wiz, now you CAN have FULL Force feedback in Pinball FX2! It's a new WIP program, with only a bunch of tables working (though you "may" be able to just add more tables into the ini file, haven't tried...).  Currently it only works with LED-Wiz for now.

It gives full feedback for flippers, slingshots, bumpers,, etc as well as some controlled lighting!  It's the real deal and its working great. It's very new, and he just got it out there...so hopefully he can get the rest of the tables configured. It makes a huge difference for PFX2! Its called PBFX2DOF and can be found at this link:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=35960#entry358070

That being said, DDH69 is also doing something similar with DOFLinx (which gives full cabinet feedback to Future Pinball, and limited feedback for PFX2, etc), which also works with Sainsmart, Led-Wiz, Pinscape, PacLed64,etc...    If you are using Sainsmart USB, then this is your only option.  You can get simple flipper feedback using this for ANY game.  However, if he's able to do the same as PBFX2DOF, then you will eventually get full feedback for PFX2 as well....

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showforum=107

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2016, 09:15:46 pm »
See there, more reason to keep it.

Speed Racer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2018, 11:06:09 pm
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2016, 10:50:22 pm »

Totally agree. I put micro leafs in my build and I really prefer the lighter feel.

Nice work on this build   :applaud:

thagerty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2016, 11:00:21 pm »
Agree.  I have the true-leaf, and the micro-leaf from groovygamegear, and the micro-leaf are by far my favorites. Wish ALL my buttons had them!

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2016, 08:41:01 am »
Agree.  I have the true-leaf, and the micro-leaf from groovygamegear, and the micro-leaf are by far my favorites. Wish ALL my buttons had them!
I always thought the true leaf would be better. Good to know

thagerty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: September 27, 2016, 09:43:34 am »
The True-Leaf are great don't get me wrong, but I find they need to be adjusted on occasion, and if you don't have easy access to them in your cabinet, then its a real pain. The micro-leaf, for me at least, is the nice balance of not quite being as mushy feeling as a normal leaf switch, but not as mechanical or clicky as a micro switch....and hey are still fairly quiet too.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2016, 11:20:52 am »
http://store.steampowered.com/app/226980/

Pinball FX2 tables are on sale most 75% off but a few are 25% and 50% off.
Only tables/packs not on sale in some form are "Balls of Glory" which is Archer, Family Guy, Bobs Burgers, and American Dad! (its $9.99) , Plants Vs Zombies (its $2.99) and the just released "Marvel's Women of Power" pack which is 2 tables for $6.99.

thagerty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2016, 02:51:14 pm »
Thought this might interest you. It's a demo of DOFLinx for Future Pinball. This provides FULL feedback for tables that have been modded for DOFLinx. This means that now your can use Led-Wiz, Sainsmart USB, Pacled 64, or KL25Z.

I modded SLAMT1LT's Star Trek Ultimate Edition for full DOFLinx feedback, which means that you can play it in your cabinet.

Here's a demo of the table.

and the download link:

http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinball/table-23077-star_trek_(ultimate_edition)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: October 03, 2016, 08:55:13 am »
So, I got some new guts for Ginger.

Its a  Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI motherboard paired with a 2550K ivy-bridge  i5 3.4Ghz CPU 4GB DDR3 RAM and replacing the GTS450 with a GTX560Ti , the other thing carrying over from the old rig is the SSD drive.
In the pic above the video card is an   GIGABYTE R9-390 Windforce G1 Gaming (8GB) , but I didn't feel like having a bunch of video adapter cables so I plucked the 560 off the shelf.

I was never super happy with the way the wiring turned out:

So I pulled everything out, drew wiring diagrams and labeled everything as best I could. I figure, I made it work once, I can make it work again even if I mislabel something. Onve thing I really hated about the old wiring (other than how messy it is) is that I used red and black for both power and ground. I'm going to rectify that mistake!

Side note, I used a metric ton of lath screws!

This is the plan for the computer foot print:

BUt Im not quite sure how to run a "beam" for the 3 rear solenoids (for the pop bumpers) or how/where to mount the solenoids if I don't run a beam.
I may do 1 behind the mobo, one to the right, and one in the corner. Right now, I'm undecided. I could always rotate the mobo 90* and run a beam *shrugs*

I also took the time to rewire the IPAC2:

I did have 14 gauge wire before , this time I cut wires off a cheapy eBay JAMMA loom.

There are other surprises too, but I'll get them more complete before spoiling anything.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Gingerballs, backglass and DOF feedback! now with new guts!
« Reply #106 on: October 03, 2016, 09:24:39 am »
Lath screws are the best!

Looking great!  Glad you didn't burn it with fire after all.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #107 on: October 03, 2016, 09:40:19 am »
Can the new PC run Gauntlet Legends 100%?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2016, 10:37:33 am »
Can the new PC run Gauntlet Legends 100%?

Definitely , the old one could and this one is better. Part of me is considering building a tiny stand alone stick that will plug into the back for some MAME action but that'd be more to make the cab easier to sell rather than make use of it. This pin is my only "emulation cabinet" , my other "Multis" are hardware. Darksoft CPS2, 96 in 1 Pacman, and soon Darksoft NeoGeo.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2016, 12:23:27 pm »
Sounds like its time for gingermame

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: October 04, 2016, 09:25:45 am »
learned a very valuable lesson last night. Test new hardware before pulling the hardware out of your existing project.

Pinfritz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 02:15:13 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2016, 04:33:26 pm »
Your tiny pincab looks really great!!!!!!  :cheers:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2016, 09:06:25 am »
Your tiny pincab looks really great!!!!!!  :cheers:

Well it will be when I get it all put back together

killerinstinct

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 28, 2021, 11:24:17 am
« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2016, 01:10:51 pm »
Nice pinball build, what are the size of the monitors?

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2016, 02:06:06 pm »
Nice pinball build, what are the size of the monitors?
first page

killerinstinct

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2016, 04:51:31 am »
Yeah 21" and the other one?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2016, 07:48:58 am »
Yeah 21" and the other one?

19" 4:3 ratio

Good news, my buddy Bobby aka HoBoJoe dropped off a swell motherboard replacement for me. The price was right, FREE!

and we're back!

Still need to finish the rewiring but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. My OCD is much more tolerant of how its wired so far, so that's good. Also have a more efficient CPU cooler in place, and better air flow over all. This i5 seems to run everything as well as the i7 870 did.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 08:00:45 am by Malenko »

killerinstinct

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: October 06, 2016, 04:27:14 pm »
After looking at your threat i am more and more thinking to build one like the size like you did. It will be my first pinball cab build. I build allready a replica donkey kong cabinet (mala frontend) and a vewlix replica(xboxone). Will it be hard for me to build a pinball?

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #118 on: October 06, 2016, 04:38:35 pm »
Does the second replacement motherboard run Castlevania Legends 100%?

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: October 06, 2016, 05:01:45 pm »
After looking at your threat i am more and more thinking to build one like the size like you did. It will be my first pinball cab build. I build allready a replica donkey kong cabinet (mala frontend) and a vewlix replica(xboxone). Will it be hard for me to build a pinball?
nothing to it but 2 boxes.