Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Megatouch XL CD-ROM to Hard Drive  (Read 41079 times)

obcd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2019, 11:44:36 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Megatouch XL CD-ROM to Hard Drive
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2016, 02:50:14 am »
I really would like to see the links to the ebay auctions that make it possible to upgrade from maxx to force or ion for 100 dollar.

You will need a motherboard with cpu and ram.
You will need an io board
You will need a harddisk and security key.
You will need another touch controller.
You will probably need another power supply as the maxx supply is AT style and more modern motherboards will likely need ATX style that also output 3V3 (I could be wrong about this.)
You will need the knowledge to wire it all together. (It won't come with step by step instructions)

Ok, I have proven myself wrong.

http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Merit-Megatouch-Force-Complete-Motherboard-PCB-Set-WORKING-/152248388426?hash=item2372b60b4a:g:17QAAOSwmfhX2yyy

125 US$ + shipping cost. Seems like the prices start to drop rapidly.

Still, will require time and knowledge to wire it all together...

So, I think you will end up spending 400 dollars or even more, but would like to be proven wrong.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 02:56:41 am by obcd »

DaddyLongLegs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2021, 02:23:36 pm
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2016, 06:34:11 am »
The one thing I don't get is how this works: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Megatouch-XL-to-Maxx-Sapphire2-Upgrade-Update-Kit-5000-6000-Gold-Platinum-/201281981039?hash=item2edd574a6f:m:m2_55DvZeZXmuziQoTOz4xw

Aren't those games higher res too? How can an XL go all the way up to the Maxx Sapphire 2?

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:19:34 am
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2016, 06:56:03 am »
You really only need a compatiable mobo and the ioboard and a key and a exii microtouch controller. Other then that, you need a spare power supply. Who doesnt have a spare 250W or higher power supply laying around in and old computer. Hell, i could head to the nearest salvation army and pick up an old computer tower for $5 and gank the psu out of it.

For ION, you can use a asus a7n8x-la mobo. I see a few on ebay right now for like $30 and come with cpu and ram. I also see Ion ioboards for $25 and keys for less then $10

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2016, 03:44:51 pm »
I've thrown away countless numbers of those Asus boards... they used them in a defunct touch jukebox brand that we converted to our own system. It wasn't until later I found out they could be subbed for the ECS ion board. I wish I had hoarder tendencies I have at home, at work. At work... it's immediately in the trash.

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2016, 04:06:21 pm »
ah
hind site

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2016, 04:34:02 pm »
The one thing I don't get is how this works: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Megatouch-XL-to-Maxx-Sapphire2-Upgrade-Update-Kit-5000-6000-Gold-Platinum-/201281981039?hash=item2edd574a6f:m:m2_55DvZeZXmuziQoTOz4xw

Aren't those games higher res too? How can an XL go all the way up to the Maxx Sapphire 2?

You can convert a 13 inch XL all the way up to 2011 Force. Its simple, the software detects it as classic force and disables the high res games option. With Ion, you need to manually disable the high res games option because there never was a Ion version that ran on a 13 inch. Its not too difficult, you can disable it by manually editing a script or you can disable it in the opsetup menu.

Also, want to mention that the upright XL cabinets had i believe 17 and 19 inch monitors and can handle the high res games so thats another reason why XL can go up to Maxx and Force.

DaddyLongLegs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2016, 05:33:52 pm »
OK so it looks like I unfortunately bought a new motherboard and I/O board with Dallas key and everything, for absolutely no reason.

I am still getting "Invalid Key!" even with a brand new motherboard and a brand new I/O board.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2016, 10:01:17 pm »
OK so it looks like I unfortunately bought a new motherboard and I/O board with Dallas key and everything, for absolutely no reason.

I am still getting "Invalid Key!" even with a brand new motherboard and a brand new I/O board.

Sounds like the battery in your key is below 2.7v or is dead. I can repair these. Its not easy, and most definately not worth the cost of getting a new key, especially an XL. If it was a 2014 Ion key  like i recently fixed for a member on klov i would say its worth it.

You are most likely going to need a XL key of the same version since XL upgrade discs are damn near impossible to find. Or you will need to upgrade to a newer XL version that comes with the hard drive and key.

Personally, i would cut your losses and upgrade to Ion. I offer XL 13 inch CRT to 15 inch LCD drop in conversion kits if you are interested. Here is a pic of one of my conversion kits.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:23:56 pm by mahkeymike »

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2016, 12:23:59 am »
key free
code $$$

> like i recently fixed for a member on klov i would say its worth it.<

dallas jig ? for u for me :)

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

DaddyLongLegs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2016, 07:52:53 am »
I am not sure how both keys could be dead? This one I just got in the mail looks brand new.

So let me get this straight...the key that I got new, will not work with the CD-ROM that I have because that one is only tied to a single board and CD? Basically this CD I have will never, ever work with a different key or I/O board even though they are both legit?

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2016, 08:17:47 am »
I am not sure how both keys could be dead? This one I just got in the mail looks brand new.

So let me get this straight...the key that I got new, will not work with the CD-ROM that I have because that one is only tied to a single board and CD? Basically this CD I have will never, ever work with a different key or I/O board even though they are both legit?

Its either dead or the wrong key for the version software.

Regardless if its new or not, your talking about a key that has been sitting on a shelf for almost 20 years, the batteries have a shelf life of 10 years.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 08:31:36 am by mahkeymike »

DaddyLongLegs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2016, 08:33:50 am »
OK this entire machine is junk then. Nice that I have legitimate software and cannot play it due to intrusive copy protection that screws over even legitimate owners. Oh well :(

Thanks anyway for all the help guys. To the garbage dump she goes.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2016, 08:47:02 am »
OK this entire machine is junk then. Nice that I have legitimate software and cannot play it due to intrusive copy protection that screws over even legitimate owners. Oh well :(

Thanks anyway for all the help guys. To the garbage dump she goes.

Its not complete junk. You should just upgrade it like i mentioned. Before you throw it in the trash, maybe part it out. I would be more then happy to buy the plastic bezel.

obcd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2019, 11:44:36 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2016, 12:43:29 pm »
This really s.cks.

Let's resume the facts.

Your machine didn't boot from it's io board flash rom. Due to that, it was disabled and a compact flash boot setup was made.
Besides a couple of bad images (From me), the maxx gold update detects that it's running from a harddrive (cf disk) instead of a cdrom and comes up with an error message.
We found some software that fixes this issue.
Next, it showed an invalid key message. This made me assume that the io card was defective causing the initial rom dos boot problem as well.
A new motherboard and io board doesn't fix the issue..... Another protection key came with it. It gives the "invalid key" as well.

Maybe, the issue is caused by the conversion from cd to compact flash as well. After all, the other error message you got first doesn't exist on older versions either. (I don't have it and the other member that gave you his image isn't having it either.)

I assume that the new mobo and io card are booting from the io board rom dos card.
So, one thing you could try is a setup with the new io board and a cdrom again.
I am not aware of any serial numbers that might pair the motherboard or iocard to a specific software version and protection key.
As the io board is having an nvram chip, it's perfectly possible to use that to determine what software it was used 4 before. The chip is in a socket, so you could use the one from your io board on the new one.
There exist different eprom versions for the io board as well. You could check the stickers on those to see if they are identical.
You can't switch the flash chip, as yours probably is corrupt.
It's hard to believe that your io board flash chip and security dongle died at the same time. It doesn't mean it's impossible.
The software can even write to the security dongle.
Do you have some numbers on your security dongles? There even should be some engraved on the dongle coin.
Normally there is also a sticker with a number that can be used to figure out for which software it can be used.
I can understand if you have no interest in testing any further.
As said above, you can always part the system and sell the parts. Their value would increase if we could get it running.

DaddyLongLegs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2016, 02:28:13 pm »
This really s.cks.

Let's resume the facts.

Your machine didn't boot from it's io board flash rom. Due to that, it was disabled and a compact flash boot setup was made.
Besides a couple of bad images (From me), the maxx gold update detects that it's running from a harddrive (cf disk) instead of a cdrom and comes up with an error message.
We found some software that fixes this issue.
Next, it showed an invalid key message. This made me assume that the io card was defective causing the initial rom dos boot problem as well.
A new motherboard and io board doesn't fix the issue..... Another protection key came with it. It gives the "invalid key" as well.

Maybe, the issue is caused by the conversion from cd to compact flash as well. After all, the other error message you got first doesn't exist on older versions either. (I don't have it and the other member that gave you his image isn't having it either.)

I assume that the new mobo and io card are booting from the io board rom dos card.
So, one thing you could try is a setup with the new io board and a cdrom again.
I am not aware of any serial numbers that might pair the motherboard or iocard to a specific software version and protection key.
As the io board is having an nvram chip, it's perfectly possible to use that to determine what software it was used 4 before. The chip is in a socket, so you could use the one from your io board on the new one.
There exist different eprom versions for the io board as well. You could check the stickers on those to see if they are identical.
You can't switch the flash chip, as yours probably is corrupt.
It's hard to believe that your io board flash chip and security dongle died at the same time. It doesn't mean it's impossible.
The software can even write to the security dongle.
Do you have some numbers on your security dongles? There even should be some engraved on the dongle coin.
Normally there is also a sticker with a number that can be used to figure out for which software it can be used.
I can understand if you have no interest in testing any further.
As said above, you can always part the system and sell the parts. Their value would increase if we could get it running.

I definitely don't want to throw it out. I just figured I am all out of options since buying new hardware did nothing.

OK so here is what is up: everything you wrote is correct except for the fakeCD part. I never got to try fakeCD because it requires a machine running Windows 98 or older, which I do not have. The reason I started getting "Invalid Key" errors instead of "Hard drive shock mount error" errors is because another forum member was kind enough to edit the MEGACDLL.EXE somehow that made it get rid of the "shock mount" error.

I am able to boot ROM DOS with the new board since those chips are good I guess.

As for the security dongle ID numbers, this is what I have:

The one that used to work with my Megatouch Gold with no issues: SA3039-02
The one the new motherboard and I/O board has: SA3046-02

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2016, 02:32:46 pm »
hence the problem
>The one that used to work with my Megatouch Gold with no issues:
 SA3039-02
 ^^^^^^^
                                                                          ^^^^^^
<

ed

DaddyLongLegs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2016, 03:31:30 pm »
hence the problem
>The one that used to work with my Megatouch Gold with no issues:
 SA3039-02
 ^^^^^^^
                                                                          ^^^^^^
<

ed

Which game is  SA3046-02 good for?

Also that does not explain why my SA3039-02 doesn't work with Gold.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2016, 03:49:10 pm »

SA3046 is Platinum.

Did you at least try your old key with the new mobo and IOboard and your gold software?

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2016, 04:02:24 pm »
in case for some reason u missed the point ?
the key #'s are software specific
so my reply pointed u right to the answer

ed

DaddyLongLegs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2016, 05:03:25 pm »

SA3046 is Platinum.

Did you at least try your old key with the new mobo and IOboard and your gold software?

Yep! My old key with new mobo and IOBoard and my gold software still gives "Invalid key" error.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2016, 07:51:22 pm »
then it might be a  safe bet to say your key is dead..as has been pointed out
they do have a 10 year life span >look them up on the dallas site<.
what u could do ,  if u are up to it is load it with the software the new key expects.
this will then tell u your hardware is at least good to go.

ed

DaddyLongLegs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2016, 08:17:48 pm »
People seriously have not figured out a way to crack these things yet? I'm not a pirate but what the hell, these machines are just going to die on paying customers? The company isn't even in business any more so we are all truly screwed with our machines when the Dallas keys just die.

Surely somebody must have figured out how to patch these games, or how else could this be sold? http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGATOUCH-62-GAME-XL-Titanium-Video-Arcade-Quiz-kit-UPGRADE-hard-drive-/121923357645

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2016, 09:00:28 pm »
People seriously have not figured out a way to crack these things yet? I'm not a pirate but what the hell, these machines are just going to die on paying customers? The company isn't even in business any more so we are all truly screwed with our machines when the Dallas keys just die.

Surely somebody must have figured out how to patch these games, or how else could this be sold? http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGATOUCH-62-GAME-XL-Titanium-Video-Arcade-Quiz-kit-UPGRADE-hard-drive-/121923357645

They have. They just ain't releasing it publicly for obvious copyright reasons. I can tell you there is a keyless maxx version on a ftp you can find over at klov.You need a maxx or force (i810) mobo to get it to work but maybe it will work with your XL mobo, atleast its worth a shot.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2016, 09:50:19 pm »
mike correct me here
I thought it was only ibutton ?

ed

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2016, 01:32:25 am »
so
as I chk the ftp "full no key chk ".img" should be just copy   as just such..
the question is dumb down for the thread. of course I know what it means. but I want it clear for the mass.
so save to your hard drive
copy to the new drive
use your best iso writer "data"
carry on
no key required
as I read it
gives u a working mega touch ?
my lord that's 4 ways for this @ through this thread to date

ed

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2016, 07:45:21 am »
mike correct me here

ed
ed, I have no clue what you are saying.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2016, 09:25:51 am »
mike correct me here

ed
ed, I have no clue what you are saying.
Welcome to BYOAC, you must be new here.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2016, 12:23:50 pm »
mike
ibutton refers to the type of dallas key
u know this as well as I do
it looks like a button battery. hence the term

ed

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2016, 12:34:59 pm »
mike
ibutton refers to the type of dallas key
u know this as well as I do
it looks like a button battery. hence the term

ed

I know what its called. I just don't know wtf you are asking.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2016, 01:20:19 pm »
ok

ed

btw I was not asking
it was a statement as I understand it (that only the ibutton can be by-passed) and or copy-ed with the proper dallas interface)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2016, 02:49:23 pm »
Nice that I have legitimate software and cannot play it due to intrusive copy protection that screws over even legitimate owners. Oh well :(

you just described literally the entire videogame industry.  :cheers:

DaddyLongLegs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: September 29, 2016, 05:19:49 pm »
Nice that I have legitimate software and cannot play it due to intrusive copy protection that screws over even legitimate owners. Oh well :(

haha I know right? Thank heaven for people who crack software or else 95% of video game history would have been gone forever!

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2016, 06:30:07 pm »

haha I know right? Thank heaven for people who crack software or else 95% of video game history would have been gone forever!

Not trying to play devils advocate  >:D , but its a double edged sword. Had people not cracked software, companies wouldn't had gone through so much trouble protecting it.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: September 29, 2016, 07:27:06 pm »
yes but this time it is a matter of necessity
merit never made for on going owner ship
even though they knew 10 years was the normal life of the key fobs

ed

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2016, 07:40:40 pm »
yes but this time it is a matter of necessity
merit never made for on going owner ship
even though they knew 10 years was the normal life of the key fobs

ed

Yes, and I had already mentioned its possible to repair them. And there is multiple ways to do this.
#1: backup data before battery dies
#2: if batter is low, backup data, replace battery, reprogram data.
#3: if battery is completely dead, replace battery and reprogram previously backed up data.
#4: hack software
#5: buy new key and repeat steps 1-3
 ;D

DaddyLongLegs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: October 01, 2016, 08:42:58 pm »
You really only need a compatiable mobo and the ioboard and a key and a exii microtouch controller. Other then that, you need a spare power supply. Who doesnt have a spare 250W or higher power supply laying around in and old computer. Hell, i could head to the nearest salvation army and pick up an old computer tower for $5 and gank the psu out of it.

For ION, you can use a asus a7n8x-la mobo. I see a few on ebay right now for like $30 and come with cpu and ram. I also see Ion ioboards for $25 and keys for less then $10

I found an asus a7n8x-la mobo with CPU and RAM. But I cannot find an IO board anywhere for the ION. I see one but it's $100. Can you show me where you found one for $25? If I buy the 2008 key, can I play the 2006 ION games as well? Only asking because I really prefer the XL series version of Photo Hunt.

Also the ION motherboard will work even with my touch screen controller from the XL? I can't believe they are compatible!

Though to be honest, I would probably prefer the MAXX.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 08:48:05 pm by DaddyLongLegs »

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: October 01, 2016, 09:20:04 pm »

I found an asus a7n8x-la mobo with CPU and RAM. But I cannot find an IO board anywhere for the ION. I see one but it's $100. Can you show me where you found one for $25? If I buy the 2008 key, can I play the 2006 ION games as well? Only asking because I really prefer the XL series version of Photo Hunt.

Also the ION motherboard will work even with my touch screen controller from the XL? I can't believe they are compatible!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/merit-touchscreen-ion-i-o-pcb-board-NOS-ARCADE-GAME-PART-SFh-/151407454157?hash=item23409667cd:g:kKkAAOSwd4tUEMxR
Has a make offer. I think this seller jacked his price since lat time i bought them.

XL touch screen controller is only compatiable with ion 2012+ Anything lower you need a ion or force controller.

I suggest you just buy a i810 mobo and use that sapphire image. I can sell you a i810 mobo that will work with that sapphire image.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 10:03:38 pm by mahkeymike »

DaddyLongLegs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: October 01, 2016, 10:18:10 pm »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/merit-touchscreen-ion-i-o-pcb-board-NOS-ARCADE-GAME-PART-SFh-/151407454157?hash=item23409667cd:g:kKkAAOSwd4tUEMxR
Has a make offer. I think this seller jacked his price since lat time i bought them.

XL touch screen controller is only compatiable with ion 2012+ Anything lower you need a ion or force controller.

I suggest you just buy a i810 mobo and use that sapphire image. I can sell you a i810 mobo that will work with that sapphire image.

Great. I sent you a PM.

That is kind of weird about the XL screen controller. It works with ION 2012 but not ION 2009? Isn't that kind of backwards?

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: October 01, 2016, 10:32:29 pm »

Great. I sent you a PM.

That is kind of weird about the XL screen controller. It works with ION 2012 but not ION 2009? Isn't that kind of backwards?

I think they either stopped trying to black list XL/Maxx controllers, or they used a updated version of the linux kernel that had built in support for the old legacy controllers (XL/Maxx)

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: October 02, 2016, 12:00:07 am »
no
that's was just merit
when they ran out of the 1 touch screen controller
they re enter the proper Linux kernel
so the older gen 1's would work again

they did the same thing with hard drive branding (merit-001)
once they ran out and it was no longer. they had no choice but to un lock the branding

plus it did not hurt that a wack of Linux coders told them what end of the boat to get off and how fast to paddle

ed