Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Megatouch Conversion Boot Issues  (Read 3158 times)

jasonripp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2022, 03:44:44 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Megatouch Conversion Boot Issues
« on: May 07, 2020, 03:09:15 pm »
I'm continuing work on converting an XL upright cab into a housing for my 19" Aurora.

The Aurora was non-functional when I bought it, and I've stripped it out for the conversion. The original ASUS motherboard had capacitor issues, so I was looking into replacing it with an Intel Little Falls board, which I had seen online as an option that works. There's a YouTube video where the guy drops in the new board, makes all the connections and it just works.

The part number in the manual for the Little Falls board is SA10078-02. When searching around for a board, I found that AMI had a board on clearance with part number SA10078-03. It's not an Intel board, but rather made by Via, though it's the same style as the Intel board. Of course, there's nothing that my research showed as there being a replacement, but the part numbering would indicate it is a replacement for the Intel board.

I bought the board and have it all set up on my bench. It boots up and begins to load the OS fine but then it never boots all the way up. Here's the setup:

- New Via VE-900 series mainboard w/2GB RAM. AMI part number: SA10078-03. Modified by AMI as it boots to an "AMI Entertainment" logo at startup.
- New PNY 120GB SSD drive.
- Fresh install of 2014 software from original Merit DVDs. The install on this drive works fine on my Ion Elite Edge.
- Tested with both the original and a brand new I/O board with no change

The behavior of where it fails is different when it starts up from the drive or from the install DVDs.

The failure when booting from either SSD or DVD occurs right after the USB is successfully loaded.

When starting from the SSD, it fails at this point:

Scanning and configuring dmraid supported devices
Trying to resume from LABEL=common-swap
Unable to access resume device (LABEL=common-swap)
Creating root device.
Mounting root filesystem.
mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
Setting up other filesystems.
Setting up new root fs
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
Switching to new root and running init.
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

When booting from the DVD, I get this:

(**) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
Data incomplete in file /root/xorg.conf/new
    At least one Device section is required
(EE) Problem parsing the config file
(EE) Error parsing the config file

Fatal server error:
no screens found

The DVD boot just fills the screen with scrolling "^[[18~" at that point.

I've tried every trick I know and even learned a few new ones at this point, so I'm turning to the hive mind. Is it a display issue (I'm watching all this output on the Aurora's display)? Is it an issue with the mainboard? Hoping someone has some guidance, as I think I've eliminated many of the variables.

orizzle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2020, 07:20:41 pm
Re: Megatouch Conversion Boot Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 03:14:40 pm »
Via board uses S3 video if IIRC. Ion systems only run on Intel and Nvidia video. You bought the wrong board.

The via board was designed for the touch2play machines. The kids games you see in dentist offices and McDonald's.

Touch2play was only ever updated to 2013, so even with the correct drive image, you couldn't boot 2014. Technically.

But why oh why did you hack apart an aurora into an XL case?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:10:40 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 06:28:15 pm »
If you still have the Aurora housing, i'll buy it off you, or maybe work out a trade for that LCD conversion for your XL.

jasonripp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 10:07:37 pm »
Via board uses S3 video if IIRC. Ion systems only run on Intel and Nvidia video. You bought the wrong board.

The via board was designed for the touch2play machines. The kids games you see in dentist offices and McDonald's.

Touch2play was only ever updated to 2013, so even with the correct drive image, you couldn't boot 2014. Technically.

Dang it. I was afraid it was something like that. Oh well. There's always a need for a PC board somewhere. Thanks for shedding some light on the issue.

But why oh why did you hack apart an aurora into an XL case?

The Aurora was in pretty poor shape to begin with and the ultimate home for this unit is the pizza restaurant my son and I just bought. I felt an upright would be a better fit for the space than a countertop model. I will have a classic countertop model at kid's height as a "Kid's Club" sort of machine. Don't worry - my arcade units get a lot of love and I'm excited to introduce the Megatouch to a new generation of users.

jasonripp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 10:08:52 pm »
If you still have the Aurora housing, i'll buy it off you, or maybe work out a trade for that LCD conversion for your XL.

I do still have it. I'm sure we can work something out.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 10:24:48 pm »
Those things are really sucky to work on IMO...Although  I ain't no self proclaimed authority on them, It usually comes down to changing the BIOs, the battery, and set the clock, They really seem to like to know what time it is, and then in the BIOS you can (if you know Linux) you can access the boot history (and date/time)...There are some good vids on the subject over on the tubes that walk you through.