I cleaned up the inside of the cabinet a bit and ran some new grounding braid to keep it a little more true to the original cabinets.
Sitting on my shelf was a Williams power supply repair kit so I cleaned up the PS board and installed the parts. All the voltages are looking good and stable. Of course I realize after completing the repair that the wiring harness had been modified to use a switching power supply. I'll have to come back to this later when I get the proper connector.
Time for transplant surgery. The donor machine is on the left and the patient is on the right.
The power supply, boards and harness and monitor went in without any incident. I put in a lithium battery conversion after this pic was taken.
I turned it on and although the operation was a success the patient was dead. All I got was some white and green bars on the monitor.
Time for some emergency procedures. I grabbed a screw driver and tapped on a few of the RAM chips. Fired it up again and all was good. Well, mostly. The advance switch wasn't working. Turns out the previous owner cut the ground pin on the switching power supply cord. I tied to the ground to the rest of the wiring and Defender was up and running.
Unfortunately I found out cabinet is a little wonky and my control panel was drilled differently than the overlay. The control panel is too wide refuses to go in. Some surgery is needed but I am going to fab a new panel so everything lines up nicely.
Marquee and Bezel
The donor machine had a decent marquee and bezel so I moved those over to the restored cabinet too. The marquee light was out and none of my local stores had the elusive F14T12 bulb so I decided to modernize a bit and put in a Commercial Electric 18in. LED under cabinet light from Home Depot. It was $25 and has two brightness levels. I'll look for the fluorescent bulbs later.
Things are pretty close to being done. Parts are on the way so I will occupy myself with rebuilding the donor cabinet for my Multi-Williams machine.