Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Lightspeed MameLister© - A New Multi-List Generator (Now with link to download)  (Read 34554 times)

8BitMonk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
Finally got a chance to take a look at your latest version and this is fantastic!  :applaud:

2 things:
  • v0.7j appears to break Filter B --> Controls, only Unknown will return any results. Ie. selecting just 'Dual 8-Way Joy' won't bring up those games. I went back and tested 0.7h and 0.7i and both returned 41 games for Dueal 8-way joy. Maybe a breakage from when you fixed the # Players for the Simpsons.
  • Copy/Move doesn't seem to work for me. Just tried copying (not moving) and it didn't copy files or return any sort of an error.

I updated all of my support files and the mame xml to .176, not sure if that affected the functionality, all seemed to update fine.

You've really done a great job so far, thanks for your contribution, I'm sure it's a lot of work.  :notworthy:
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
Is this still in development or abandoned?
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

haynor666

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 03:20:27 am
  • retro maniac

Antropus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2017, 01:09:19 am
    • Antropus' Online Portfolio
Still in development, slowly but surely, since the changes are pretty major!
I just posted a little log progress with many images you can check here:

http://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/30530-lightspeed-ultra-fast-mame-importer-tool/?do=findComment&comment=210152

Cheers,
-Kris

Antropus

• Offline Offline
Actually, here's a copy of my post over there:

Here's some progress log:

- I got a little fancy with the games tester/launcher, adding some console images and graphics, so it looks less formal.
- Newly added star system. 10 ratings range, in half increments until a total of 5 stars. Those ratings are being stored into an external .ini file that can be later on shared among users. Those ratings will be exported to Launchbox once you export your lists
- Newly added favorite system that works similarly to the above. The favorite info is being saved within the same .ini file as the ratings and will also be reflected once in Launchbox
- You can launch any game, from any soft list or arcade, from any listview with a double click. All command line parameters are populated automatically, so no need to scramble with MESS stuff anymore
- The search engine was improved as well, but I will add some checkboxes to offer better customization on where to look for (year, description, rom name, manufacturer etc)
- All supported software lists are now available as a choice and those will be imported as platforms. Only systems that are arcade machine friendly and are working reasonably well are supported. Not so fun systems were left out as well.
- Added new arcade platforms as available options (Data East, Konami, Midway, Taito etc)

The interface is still messy, with unnecessary buttons, test functions and bad formatting at some places, but this is all being ironed out as I go.
No release date yet, but the project is definitely not dead...

More to come.
-Kris

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • retro maniac
Any chance to add number of buttons used besides joystick type ?

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
No release date yet, but the project is definitely not dead...

Good to know, thanks for the update.

Antropus

• Offline Offline
Any chance to add number of buttons used besides joystick type ?
Already present:

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • retro maniac
That's a filter. Actually I was hoping see in mamewah displayed 8 way joystick along with number of buttons.

fablog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2024, 10:30:06 pm
Thanks for this great app, I like it. I suggest to code some warning messages about absence of Mame.ini or wrong Mame.exe.  I lost maybe 30min trying to understand what was wrong when I was using a fresh downloaded mame. Obviously, mame.ini was missing :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 04:18:24 pm by fablog »

millercentral

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2024, 04:38:47 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Just started using this, and I'm already blown away. Thanks so much for your efforts here, and I am looking forward to the next version as well.

A couple minor feature requests:

• If I choose to drop the "[]" and "( )" from the title, and also filter clones from the results, it would be nice if the [] and () text was still included in the separate Clones list to make it easier when hunting for a specific version to add to the final list.
  • It would be cool if in the right-click context menu of a parent rom I could get a quick pop-up list of just the clones of that parent to more easily add the clone I'm looking for, rather than having to hunt for it in the clones-list view.
  • In the current .7 release, it does not appear the window is re-sizable. It would be nice if it was so I could see more columns/rows on my large monitor when making lists.
  • It might be interesting instead of starting with the "all-roms-from-mame" listxml source, if you could start from an existing generated list, and then apply filters to that, to make smaller sub-lists from the original. For example, it would be interesting to have the available "all killer" titles within my already carefully curated list of titles as another list.

None of these items are deal breakers. In one day of use this is already my all-time favorite rom-list creator. Thank you!!

millercentral

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2024, 04:38:47 pm
Okay, another question. How do "unchecked" filters work relative to checked filters in other categories?

For example, I tried looking for all vertical games that use dual sticks or a spinner, but leave out any that don't. So I unchecked "2-way Joy", "4-way Joy", "8-way Joy", "Trackball" and a couple of other controls, and also unchecked "Horizontal", but left all the buttons and player items checked.

In the filtered results, I got only vertical roms (good), but the also included unchecked control types (2-Way, 4-Way, 8-Way, trackball, etc) (bad).  Why did those control types get included in the results?

Thanks!!

ilgrank

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2017, 04:03:57 pm
First of all, let me thank you, Lightspeed ROCKS!!

I too noticed that the 7j breaks the filter on the number of buttons. Only "unknown" works.

Apart from this, it would be great if you could add a keyboard shortcut (DEL) to remove games from the list (currently, I had to right-click-delete more than 2000 roms one by one) and CTRL+Z to undo, it would make the pruning of the list way faster :)

Also, I think it would be great to be able to "expand" the filters. I.e., instead of '70 , '80 , '90 as an example, the 'advaced filter' could allow to input "1985 to 2005". (or a two way slider)
In the same way, the category could have "+" signs to allwo for sub-category. Eg: I want "sport", but I don't want "Football" or "Baseball" and so on :)
Many, many thanks!

Antropus

• Offline Offline
Just started using this, and I'm already blown away. Thanks so much for your efforts here, and I am looking forward to the next version as well.

A couple minor feature requests:

• If I choose to drop the "[]" and "( )" from the title, and also filter clones from the results, it would be nice if the [] and () text was still included in the separate Clones list to make it easier when hunting for a specific version to add to the final list.
  • It would be cool if in the right-click context menu of a parent rom I could get a quick pop-up list of just the clones of that parent to more easily add the clone I'm looking for, rather than having to hunt for it in the clones-list view.
  • In the current .7 release, it does not appear the window is re-sizable. It would be nice if it was so I could see more columns/rows on my large monitor when making lists.
  • It might be interesting instead of starting with the "all-roms-from-mame" listxml source, if you could start from an existing generated list, and then apply filters to that, to make smaller sub-lists from the original. For example, it would be interesting to have the available "all killer" titles within my already carefully curated list of titles as another list.

None of these items are deal breakers. In one day of use this is already my all-time favorite rom-list creator. Thank you!!

Those are good suggestions, thank you. The program changed quite a bit and the current version has a very fast search engine and the () and [] are only being removed from the output now, so for the purpose of searching you will have no problem since the tags will still be visible in the listview. The clones view is gone in this version and I might add the popup you mentioned to help finding the clones more easily, but honestly, the search can help with that as well.

The window is fully re-sizeable now and both size and position of the window are saved on exit and restored on start. There are also resolution presets. Minimum size is 800x600. Maximum is unlimited.

As for the sources, the databases are fixed and everything will be always available, BUT you will be able to merge lists you already have by pointing Lightspeed to a folder containing as many lists as you wish, for example. In fact, Lightspeed can populate the listview by either:

a) using the regular main sources + filters
b) using a driver as a source (cps2.cpp, for example)
c) using a folder containing any number of roms (correctly named)
d) manually selecting any number of roms (correctly named) from any folder
e) using a folder populated with rom lists saved as text files (one rom name per line for each .txt file).

You can use any combination of the above and simply increasingly add the lists to your final output list.

Thanks!

Antropus

• Offline Offline
Okay, another question. How do "unchecked" filters work relative to checked filters in other categories?

For example, I tried looking for all vertical games that use dual sticks or a spinner, but leave out any that don't. So I unchecked "2-way Joy", "4-way Joy", "8-way Joy", "Trackball" and a couple of other controls, and also unchecked "Horizontal", but left all the buttons and player items checked.

In the filtered results, I got only vertical roms (good), but the also included unchecked control types (2-Way, 4-Way, 8-Way, trackball, etc) (bad).  Why did those control types get included in the results?

Thanks!!
This was apparently broken before. I just ran the very same test in the current version and everything worked accordingly.

Antropus

• Offline Offline
First of all, let me thank you, Lightspeed ROCKS!!

I too noticed that the 7j breaks the filter on the number of buttons. Only "unknown" works.

Apart from this, it would be great if you could add a keyboard shortcut (DEL) to remove games from the list (currently, I had to right-click-delete more than 2000 roms one by one) and CTRL+Z to undo, it would make the pruning of the list way faster :)

Also, I think it would be great to be able to "expand" the filters. I.e., instead of '70 , '80 , '90 as an example, the 'advaced filter' could allow to input "1985 to 2005". (or a two way slider)
In the same way, the category could have "+" signs to allwo for sub-category. Eg: I want "sport", but I don't want "Football" or "Baseball" and so on :)
Many, many thanks!
Thanks. Filters are good now.

Shortcuts were added. No Ctr+Z planned yet, but you can delete things already by selecting and then using ctrl+del. It only works on the output list though.

As for the years, I will refer to the new search engine again. You can add any number of arguments and searching by year is one of the options.
In your example, although not ideal, you could use two simple steps: 1) check 90's only then add the results to to the output list. 2) Run a search using the remaining years you want as arguments separated by comma: "1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005" then add the results of this search to the output list again. I could add a search argument option to do this automatically at some point. "1985><2005", where "><", for example, could be the argument for returning a range.

Eliminating sub-categories for genres can be achieved by clicking the sub genre's header in the output list, looking for "Football" and "Baseball" and then deleting those games from the output list. Again, not as straight forward as having a dropdown menu, but the whole process as it is would only consume a few seconds.

Good suggestions. I will keep them in mind for future features. Thanks!

Antropus

• Offline Offline
Here's the current status:

I am back from vacations and back to testing/fixing things! There are some known little bugs that should not be too bad, as long as people are aware of them before hand, until I find possible solutions, but nothing that will stop you from creating your lists at all.

I added many more possible platforms, updated the manual as much as possible and hooked up everything that was disjointed. I will be releasing a version for tests in the next few days and I will really appreciate if people took the time to test it, as this will benefit all other users. The main focus is being Launchbox, because it is by far the most complex of all FEs. In fact, if I removed the support for Launchbox, my code would be reduced to about half.

At this point, I just want to squash as many bugs as possible and get a very stable release out. Then and only then I will contemplate adding new features. One of my priorities is, after the Launchbox module is working nicely, I will be putting some time on adding advanced support to the Attract-Mode and mGalaxy front-ends. At this point lists are being exported to them already, but I would like to add support to creating lists by platform as well and similarly to Launchbox, have a fully automated process, to the point where you would just have to run Lightspeed and open any of those FEs to find everything fully configured and ready to go. But this will come in the future,

For now, stay tuned and a download will become available here in a few days, probably before the weekend!

Cheers,
-Kris

ilgrank

• Offline Offline
Thanks for the update @Antropus!
Can't wait to be one of the beta-testers (If I'm allowed of course! :)

Again, thanks for your work!

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
Looking forward to testing, fire away. 

Glad you're focusing on a stable release before going crazy with features, that's smart.  :cheers:

Antropus

• Offline Offline
Latest Version: 0.181a_RC1 Updated on: 1/13/2017 @ 2:20AM
Here's something for your to try: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B23vaxsfSk1yQUQ1aXZpSThpbUk/view?usp=sharing

There are still known bugs, but this should be fairly functional and stable at this point. Manual is still in progress but almost complete.
Remember: Lightspeed is designed for people who already have a large collection of MAME ROMS/artwork in their system.

The way I am handling Software Lists at this point is by parsing custom command lines per game. The only FE supported by Lightspeed for SoftLists (MESS) at this point is Launchbox, so if you are planning to export lists to be used within FEs other than Launchbox, please make sure to turn off "MESS (SoftLists)" under the "FiltersA" tab, so only Arcade games will be exported. If other frontends you know have support for a custom command line per game, please let me know and I will do my best to add Software Lists (MESS) support to those FEs as well. For now, try out with Launchbox (the free version) and you will get the benefit of having all Arcade and Software Lists filtered and imported for you automatically.

If you are interested in testing it, please follow this:
7-step guide if you are NOT using Launchbox:

1) Download and install Lightspeed in your favorite folder
2) Run it as Admin (Right-click the main .exe file > properties > Compatibility > check "Run this program as an administrator", to avoid future problems depending on the location where it was installed)
3) If this is a brand new installation (as it should at this point), you will need to run the program once, configure all paths, then close/re-open Lightspeed. This will save the necessary .ini file on exit, which will be used to parse all folders on the next start. This is only necessary the first time you run Lightspeed.
4) Once restarted and before you start playing with the filters, just as a test, turn off the mess filter by unchecking "MESS (SoftLists)" under the "FiltersA" tab, then go straight to the "Export" Tab and click on it. You should now see the listview fully populated. Select what type of list format you want to export using the dropdown menu on the lower-left corner of the GUI, then browse for the destination folder right below it.
5) Click "1 Filter"
6) Click "2 Output" > Add ALL and wait until the process is complete. It should take only a few seconds.
7) Look at the status bar. If the "Total Output" number matches your "Total Filtered" number you can go ahead and press "3 export"

If all paths were configured correctly, you should be able to find your exported list in the folder you selected.
OR
10-step guide if you are using Launchbox:

1) Close Launchbox
2) go to your Launchbox installation folder and backup the entire "Data" folder to a safe place
3) now go to the original Data folder and delete:
Platforms.xml
Emulators.xml
Platforms (folder)

This will guarantee that you are working with an empty library without losing your settings, which is essential for our tests at this point
4) Download and install Lightspeed in your favorite folder
5) Run it as Admin (Right-click the main .exe file > properties > Compatibility > check "Run this program as an administrator", to avoid future problems depending on the location where it was installed)
6) If this is a brand new installation (as it should at this point), you will need to run the program once, configure all paths, then close/re-open Lightspeed. This will save the necessary .ini file on exit, which will be used to parse all folders on the next start
7) Once restarted and before you start playing with the filters, as a test, go straight to the "Export" Tab and click on it. You should now see the listview fully populated. Select what type of list format you want to export using the dropdown menu on the lower-left corner of the GUI, then browse for the destination folder right below it. If you select Launchbox from the dropdown menu, Launchbox root folder will be auto populated (you NEED to point to Launchbox's root folder when exporting lists to it)
8) Click "1 Filter"
9) Click "2 Output" > Add ALL. This might take some time at this point, as it's adding over 18.000 games to the list, from both Arcade and Software Lists, so be patient and wait until the process is over.
10) Look at the status bar. If the "Total Output" number matches your "Total Filtered" number you can go ahead and press "3 export"

If all paths were correctly configured, including Launchbox's root folder, the list should be exported and you should be ready to reopen Launchbox.
Please test and report any bugs.
I hope things work for you!
-Kris

Antropus

• Offline Offline
 Latest Version: 0.181a_RC3 Updated on: 1/15/2017 @ 2:20PM
Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B23vaxsfSk1yQUQ1aXZpSThpbUk/view?usp=sharing

Please test and report any problems you mind find.

Thanks,
-Kris

Antropus

• Offline Offline
I found a bug that was preventing the filters from working correctly.
New version coming today.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
Hi Kris,

I know you're working on an updated version but wanted to let you know I had a chance to do some testing over the weekend and below are a couple observations I found in case they're not on your radar.

• I couldn't get the artwork to display. I like to keep my artwork zipped (which still works for displaying in mame) so I thought maybe that was it but I decompressed a couple marquees, placed them in the correct directory and they didn't display over the arcade.
  • I had problems with the Favorites/Rated games showing. I would spot add 10 games to favorites or rank them and go to view them in the filtered list and only some would show. Was sporadic and unpredictable
  • Minor thing but I noticed it's easy for the Favorites/Rated to get deselected and it becomes confusing. I clicked the All/None at the top of the controls column because I just wanted to test 8-way games and then get any results because I hadn't noticed both Favorites and Not Favorites was unchecked.

Thanks!

Antropus

• Offline Offline
  • I couldn't get the artwork to display. I like to keep my artwork zipped (which still works for displaying in mame) so I thought maybe that was it but I decompressed a couple marquees, placed them in the correct directory and they didn't display over the arcade.
  • I had problems with the Favorites/Rated games showing. I would spot add 10 games to favorites or rank them and go to view them in the filtered list and only some would show. Was sporadic and unpredictable
  • Minor thing but I noticed it's easy for the Favorites/Rated to get deselected and it becomes confusing. I clicked the All/None at the top of the controls column because I just wanted to test 8-way games and then get any results because I hadn't noticed both Favorites and Not Favorites was unchecked.
Thank you so much for testing and reporting, 8BitMonk! This will be very helpful to get the problems solved.
Not sure what's happening with the images not showing, since this is the first time someone reported the problem, but the other issues should be solved by now and wrapped up into the new version coming up in a day or two.

Thanks again!
-Kris

ilgrank

• Offline Offline
Hi
Sorry for the late reply!
I too did step into the filter bug, but I see you already found about it! :)
This new version of Lightspeed is great!
I tried the CTRL+Del thing, but mostly I select games based on my memories as a child.. and so I briefly look at a screenshot, then delete what I'm not interested in.. in my case, I had to manually delete more than 2000 games one by one.. and being able to use just the canc/del key would mean, for me, saving 2000 clicks :)
Could just del be implemented? (or key customization?) That would be great!
Many, many thanks!

ilgrank

• Offline Offline
@Antropus
hi!
Edit: Antropus is ok! :)
Glad to know that he's fine.
For anyone interested in Lightspeed, the thread here:
https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/30530-lightspeed-ultra-fast-mame-importer-tool/?page=29
is more active than this one

Thanks Antropus and keep up the excellent work!

..is everything ok?
Just  wanted to ask you is everything is right... haven't seen you in more than a week.. :)
Thanks for your work, and best wishes!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 04:03:57 pm by ilgrank »

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • retro maniac
One small bug (quite old). Every list contains some trash "" at the beginning of game list file. This probably is not a problem for many frontends but mamewah treat first set name as this trash + set name. Also notepad does not show this when editing file list.

flagrall
'96 Flag Rally
unknown

The only option is to copy entire text in notepad and paste again in new window.

Tetsuo1981

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2017, 02:33:04 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade machine!!
Hi all.

Downloaded and installed the latest beta of Light speed but when I get to the export section, none of my filtered have been applied so I am unable to generate a list. What am I missing? Any help would be great. Wanting to make lists for Attract Mode FE, last major job computer-wise in project before I start cabinet construction.

Cheers guys

what2be

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2018, 07:38:28 pm
Not sure if this has been fixed yet or not but in version 183.beta 8 there is a issue with Lightspeed exporting the mame.xml correctly. If the Description or the manufacturer has the "&" in the title then it will error out when you go to open it with other 3rd party programs that manage mame.xml files (eg, Filterhyperlist.exe, etc). I had to do a search and replace of "&" and replace it with "&amp;"
After that everthing was ok.

Also I noticed there is a 1kb ratings.ini file in lightspeeds support folder. Are you going to implement that at a future date? I have a complete 0.183 mame.xml with ratings if you would like it. 

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • retro maniac
Any news ?

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 01:01:09 pm
Can you add lakka please.

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • retro maniac

shredso

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2020, 09:23:27 pm
  • I'm a llama!
I just stumbled across this.  I didn't read much of the thread or read any directions.  I finally made a usable MAME game list!  I've not been able to get Romlister to do anything useful since MAME integrated all the gambling machines and garbage.  Thanks! 

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
This app looks really cool! The all killer no filler lists lead me to lightspeed. However, it doesn’t work well at vga res.