Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Where can you buy replacement dreamcast disc drives?  (Read 4674 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Where can you buy replacement dreamcast disc drives?
« on: May 21, 2016, 05:49:30 pm »
Mine finally bit the big one.  I'm wondering if there are replacements.  It'd have to be fairly cheap because I can just buy another dreamcast for 30 bucks.  I just hate to toss this one as it's mint and even has the original box and stuff. 

I looked at the disc-less solutions but they seem really expensive.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
Re: Where can you buy replacement dreamcast disc drives?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 06:00:48 pm »
I did some poking around and came up with nothing. I can find them for the ps1 all day. the closest I came was a dreamcast motor for like 5 bucks. I would like one as well to keep in my console parts bin for future use.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 08:01:56 pm »
ok so I just learned that there are two dreamcast drives. Yamaha and samsung. they are not interchangeable. so if you are up for a fun new project and have the correct drive I found a hack to use a pc cd rom laser.

http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1982

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 10:05:46 pm »
Man that looks rough.  I think dreamcasts are going for 30 bucks atm on amazon, probably less on eBay so I doubt it's worth it unfortunately.  I'll probably buy another DC and save this one for when hdd/usb mods become affordable. 

I'm not having much luck this weekend.  I think I borked the scanline generator I was building as well.  That one doesn't hurt as much since I'm only out 3 bucks in parts. 

Locke141

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 10:07:34 am »
Don't know but this is what I found.

$5.33 with free shipping High Quality SPU-3200 1PCS/LOT 16pin Laser Lens SPU3200 Sega Dreamcast Optical Pickup Replacement For DC Game Player

Here is a different one, many the other brand? SPU3090 Laser head SPU3090 CD Dreamcast Optical Pick-up

There are also the USB hack's but I think there are bottle neck issues.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 10:19:10 am by Locke141 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 01:06:06 pm »
Thanks a ton man.  I should have thought of our eBay to the east.  ;)  I'll have to research which one is which.  Hmm.... since I have to order from there anyway, I might as well get another multi-cart or some other goodie. 

While we are on the subject, do any of you guys know a cdr format that works well on the dreamcast?  The reason I ask is, when I first got my DC a made quick work of my remaining CDRs, circa 2000 vintage and they burned just fine.  After I eventually ran out, I just picked up a pack of phillips CDRs at the store and I've yet to get a disc to run with them.  I'm using discjuggler with all the usual settings. 

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 12:07:48 pm »
Thanks a ton man.  I should have thought of our eBay to the east.  ;)  I'll have to research which one is which.  Hmm.... since I have to order from there anyway, I might as well get another multi-cart or some other goodie. 

While we are on the subject, do any of you guys know a cdr format that works well on the dreamcast?  The reason I ask is, when I first got my DC a made quick work of my remaining CDRs, circa 2000 vintage and they burned just fine.  After I eventually ran out, I just picked up a pack of phillips CDRs at the store and I've yet to get a disc to run with them.  I'm using discjuggler with all the usual settings.

Be careful with the replacement drive. I have read that some of them work but do not play retail games.

As for the cdr. I use these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FTADXK/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?qid=1464278666&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=verbatim+cdr&dpPl=1&dpID=41LXnhiQpkL&ref=plSrch

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 01:13:16 pm »
BAH!  I'll have to open it up again to confirm, but it looks like I have a Samsung drive and all the replacements are for a Yamaha drive.  You can get a Yamaha replacement for around 5 bucks.... I only found one Samsung.... 60 bucks.  I mean I could try that cdrom trick, but I'm not sure if I even have any non-cdrw drives left. 

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 09:41:46 am »

I found some Kodak CD-R 52X in my local supermarket a little while back. They work well. Not sure if you can still pick them up locally, but there's plenny in ebay land (",)

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981