Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PacLED64 and the Pi  (Read 12110 times)

Lamaman1971

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2023, 05:39:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
PacLED64 and the Pi
« on: May 17, 2016, 08:39:06 am »
Hey folks, has anyone ever managed to send instructions to the Ultimarc PacLED64 from a Pi? I "think" it would be possible using the SDK and maybe C++ - Ive done some basic work on it using the VB.NET part of the SDK from a PC but really dont want to use a PC for my next arcade project.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Re: PacLED64 and the Pi
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 04:52:41 pm »
Sorry man, I cant help you.
just wanted to chime in and say to be sure to post the answer here if you find it.

Lamaman1971

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2023, 05:39:42 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 08:39:28 pm »
Hi - ok. The Answer : http://users.telenet.be/rgbcommander/

Installed into the Retropie image no problems. The script works fine but, as it uses the process names to identify the emulator and configure the buttons, your options are limited.

ps -a : this is all you need, the tailor the XML file accordingly. It will not do anything clever to identify ROMS though, so ignore that aspect of the software. Maybe in a later update - the Author Gijsbrecht is really very helpful.

However, the script works and gives enough scope to set unique button configurations (Colours) for AdvanceMame, Libretro Games and other unique process emulators. It can also run scripts to animate the buttons.

Let me know if you have any questions - this is going into a 4 player arcade with 31 buttons.

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 12:56:45 am »
the .txt gives the insight..very well coded

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

ZoOl007

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2020, 12:03:38 pm
    • RGBcommander
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 01:40:59 pm »
thx for your interest in the program.
Just for clarification : RGBcommander uses -in part- process monitoring to do it's things. The issue is that RetroArch implements its emulators as cores that run under the same process (sometimes -not always and that complicates things) and obviously my code needs to cope with that except it can't because RetroArch doesn't yet have an interface for that. I've had a look and there is a way around that but it'll be error prone so I'm just going to wait a while and see what happens on the RetroArch front.
One could use the legacy option to set game specific colours for advmame or mame4all if there is a possibility to send commands from RetroArch - I've never used it before so I can't tell.
But indeed - in the absence of an interface there's no clever way to do rom specific stuff.
The code evolved a lot since 0.3 and it should make a difference on the pi - no release time frame... If possible I'll support RetroArch by then.

kind regards

PiNoob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 20, 2018, 06:29:07 pm
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 09:49:47 pm »
I'm really interested in trying to get RGBcommander to work. I've downloaded, installed, and configured as I think needs to be done.  As screen name professes, I'm a total Pi/Unix Noob.  Despite the install, it's not working for me.  I have Ulitmarc I/O and Pi 3.  I'm trying to get this to work with Emulation Station and Retro Pie.  When the power comes on, I do get lights.  Then they immediately turn off once emulation station starts.  If I look at the log file for RGB Comannder it shows that it's trying to animate a sequence.  Then file ends.  I'm not sure if the lights at power up are the I/O's script or RGB Commander.  I think it's I/O actually.

My Windows brain is telling me that emulation station might be starting before RGB Commander or something to that effect.  But, I don't have a clue on how to determine if that is the case.

Kids are loving all the retro games, just asking every time they play when I'll get the buttons to light up.  Would really appreciate any thoughts or insights.

ZoOl007

• Offline Offline
    • RGBcommander
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 09:55:20 am »
your problem description isn't clear. Others have it running in the same configuration. Read the docu - if you fail to sort it out mail me a representative log, actions taken and rgbcmdd.xml
I'll have a look if I find the time... busy busy...

kind regards

PiNoob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 08:45:57 pm »
Thanks for offering help.  I'll email this to you as well.  I'll post whatever happens so the next Noob won't have to bug you.

Looks like I have two issues. 
I uninstalled and re-installed and noticed an error I didn't see before.  The install script can't find the MAME binaries and is showing an error with symlinking.  I'm using advmame on RetroPie.  I saw on your site that the it's the process name that is what is needed and not so much the binary name.  I added advmame to the binary list in the install script in an attempt to fix.  No luck.  I don't know if the location of the binary makes any difference.  RetroPie has the emulator binaries in opt/retropie/emulators/advmame/1.4/bin

Looking at the log file, it also says 0 LED boards found.  Your website indicates the importance of the board node in the XML, but there isn't a board node in the file.  So, I'm not sure how to tell it that I'm using Ultimate I/O.  I'm hoping that's an easy change to add.

Really do appreciate the assistance, if there is a donate button or some other way for me to say thanks, please let me know. 

ZoOl007

• Offline Offline
    • RGBcommander
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 07:24:03 am »
You can disregard the symlinking error the install script gives as it's only necessary for real mame in combination with a normal distro on a normal pc. It's something that doesn't exist anymore in the next iteration - you don't need to change the install script.  0.3 detects all supported hardware once, when the daemon starts. So any hardware needs to be connected - if its not just restart the daemon.
If you look at the log it should show that an ultimate/io was found. You need to correctly configure your config file.
If the daemon keeps saying 0 boards found look what usb devices the os detects by executing lsusb from a shell. your board will show as d209:0410 - if it is not in there you'll have to solve that issue first. If it shows and libusb is available and you configured the autodetach function as stated in the docu and config file and it keeps saying 0 boards found then  :timebomb:
I doubt it... I haven't got a pi3 myself or an UIO in cab (I did use an UIO connected to my laptop while writing) but I received some screenshots/logs from others who stated they owned a pi3 and some of them had UIO's and it worked. It should... pi3 and 2 are binary compatible.

PiNoob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 10:40:34 pm »
Thanks for the continued help.  Still no luck.  I'm not sure what else to check. 

-Log still shows 0 LED boards found
-kernel autodetach is ON
-lsusb shows Bus 001 Device 005: ID d209:0410 Ultimarc
-service --status-all shows rgbcmdd

The only other thing I haven't thought to mention is that Andy provided an updated firmware to deal with control issues that impacted trackballs.  So, the firmware I have isn't the factory one.  But several people are installing that now too based on the posts.  Not sure if that would/could have any impact.

ZoOl007

• Offline Offline
    • RGBcommander
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 03:10:38 am »
ok... make a writable  image file from your sd card and transfer it via wetransfer + the new firmware please

just maybe - try with autodetach off if you will - it's something that's distro specific - and it's automated in .4 so it doesn't exist anymore from a user perspective.

you do have libusb installed he? Maybe I'll code a check for that...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 03:41:41 am by ZoOl007 »

kcco406

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 06, 2016, 01:41:11 pm
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 02:05:30 am »
ZoOl007  it looks like you are the person i need to talk with. i have downloaded and extracted setup.sh to the / of the retropie. i then do sudo su
then i type /setup.sh install and i get this:
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
root@retropie:/home/pi# /setup.sh install

RGBcommander installing
------------------------
rgbcmd->/usr/bin ERROR
chmod: cannot access ‘/usr/bin/rgbcmd’: No such file or directory

rgbcmdd->/usr/sbin ERROR
chmod: cannot access ‘/usr/sbin/rgbcmdd’: No such file or directory

21-ultimarc.rules->/etc/udev/rules.d ERROR
chmod: cannot access ‘/etc/udev/rules.d/21-ultimarc.rules’: No such file or directory

rgbcommander->/etc ERROR
chmod: cannot access ‘/etc/rgbcommander’: No such file or directory

rgbcmdd->/etc/init.d ERROR
chmod: cannot access ‘/etc/init.d/rgbcmdd’: No such file or directory

chmod: cannot access ‘/etc/init.d/rgbcmdd’: No such file or directory

update-rc.d: error: initscript does not exist: /etc/init.d/rgbcmdd
/setup.sh: line 48: /etc/init.d/rgbcmdd: No such file or directory

seeking MAME binary.. symlinking -> ERROR
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
i then try to look at the log so i type this and get this

root@retropie:/home/pi# -f /var/log/rgbcmdd.log
bash: -f: command not found
root@retropie:/home/pi#  /var/log/rgbcmdd.log
bash: /var/log/rgbcmdd.log: No such file or directory

in my / files i have moved all the files from the RGBcommander_0.3 folder to the / in retro pie.

any help would be great i have been working at this for 2 weeks now.

here is my set up:
i am using putty
i have a PI3
with Ultimarc I-PAC ULTIMATE I/O
and the roms play from a HDD .

Thank you!!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 02:08:31 am by kcco406 »

ZoOl007

• Offline Offline
    • RGBcommander
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 11:27:50 am »
Normally I ignore request like these because it's got nothing to do with the daemon. The solution for your problem is everywhere as the raspberry pi is quite popular but need to know that what you've got in your hand isn't click click next - nothing is in this hobby but the - rather cool - little computer you've got runs linux - so, you just need to learn some basic linux things such as that you need to type su <enter> and then the root password -raspberry is the default iirc- to get root creds. then you navigate to the folder that contains the install program and type ./setup.sh install and if the script isn't executable you just chmod +x ./setup.sh it.
RGBcommander  0.3 requires you to know your way around a linux system. The people that contacted me by mail that I've helped along all provided valuable info for me as I learned what they struggled with and how they perceive things and what the wishes are but I'm not going to help people with basic os stuff as that information is available all around - you just need to absorb it. the rasperry-pi foundation has an excellent monthly magazine available for free .

all the best.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:57 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 11:31:15 am »
Normally I ignore request like these because it's got nothing to do with the daemon. The solution for your problem is everywhere as the raspberry pi is quite popular but need to know that what you've got in your hand isn't click click next - nothing is in this hobby but the - rather cool - little computer you've got runs linux - so, you just need to learn some basic linux things such as that you need to type su <enter> and then the root password -raspberry is the default iirc- to get root creds. then you navigate to the folder that contains the install program and type ./setup.sh install and if the script isn't executable you just chmod +x ./setup.sh it.
RGBcommander  0.3 requires you to know your way around a linux system. The people that contacted me by mail that I've helped along all provided valuable info for me as I learned what they struggled with and how they perceive things and what the wishes are but I'm not going to help people with basic os stuff as that information is available all around - you just need to absorb it. the rasperry-pi foundation has an excellent monthly magazine available for free .

all the best.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

kcco406

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 10:39:41 am »

all the best.

Thank you for replying to this, but I wanted to let you know that i know how to play in Linux and i know about sudo su (if you looked at my code i posted you would have seen that i was running as root. and yes i tried chmod, the only thing i can think of is adding the files to the correct files manually but your program says that you puts them in the correct places when you run the setup file. I dont understand why you had to come off degrading, i understand that you may get some people that ask you dumb stuff and im sure this is probably one of those times but its not for lack of trying. This forum was my last hope to figure it out.

and like i said i have been working on this for two weeks, i have goolged and watched videos for the parts of Linux i am unsure of.

ZoOl007

• Offline Offline
    • RGBcommander
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 06:27:08 am »
extract the archive on your windows machine
copy that folder to the sd card - the home directory is a good place
open putty and ssh to the pi
cd location_where_you_put_the_files/RGBcommander_0.3 <enter>
su <enter>
type the root pass - default is raspberry <enter>
./setup.sh install   note the . before the /

the symlinking could fail depending on the environment but that's not really an issue - it depends actually... it's something that's gone in .4

kcco406

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 05:23:44 pm »
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: thank you! this was exactly what i needed, i was pulling the setup.sh file out of the folder,  ::) but really thank you again!!! I now i just have to make sure the led is configured all the way, because i set the correct pins to the correct led and noted that in the rgbcmdd.xml however when i start name,snes,nes,psx and so on the light just flash. if you can help with that great!

I cant thank you enough. you are helping me complete my dream of having a working arcade in my basement. i wish you had a donate spot cause i would give you money for this, its such a great option.

ZoOl007

• Offline Offline
    • RGBcommander
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 03:02:00 am »
normally the .3 starts playing a random animation when it starts in its default cfg so that should just work.
I don't know how to interpret flash. Your log file should state that it found your led board. Have a look with the tail -f /var/log/rgbcmdd.log command. I tested the program with pi2 and pacled64 and UIO but I don't have a pi3 myself but I'll get me one to test with.
Perhaps it doesn't function as it is supposed to on a pi3...

kcco406

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2016, 05:35:17 pm »
so i messed around with some things and i used mame4all and it worked but not when i used AdvanceMame. I am still having problems with snes cause when i load that nothing shows in the log, but i will keep playing around with it.

i know you said not to worry about the symlinking but i did this;

First navigate to the rgbcommander folder:

cd /etc/rgbcommander

Then create a new directory called “mame”:

sudo mkdir mame

Next create symbolic link to the MAME4All binary:

sudo ln -s /opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all/mame /etc/rgbcommander/mame

You should now have a symlink called 'mame' in your newly created directory. To confirm this, type the following and make sure it’s there:

ls /etc/rgbcommander/mame

When this is completed, reboot your Pi:

sudo reboot

and mame works but nothing eles
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 12:06:20 am by kcco406 »

ZoOl007

• Offline Offline
    • RGBcommander
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 05:46:55 am »
see Lamaman1971answer/comment - that 's has to do with the fact that some/most retroarch emu's are implemented as cores. I'll try to fully support retroarch in .4
atm you are limited to unique processes. Probably your snes is a real core implementation and as such can't be configured yet. You can create a cfg for the retroarch process though
this is actually the first version that's really getting used by people and I never considered retroarch during dev - the arm compilation was just something that I did in the end...
.4 is getting developed with the pi in mind.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 05:49:04 am by ZoOl007 »

kcco406

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2016, 12:16:49 pm »
see Lamaman1971answer/comment - that 's has to do with the fact that some/most retroarch emu's are implemented as cores. I'll try to fully support retroarch in .4
atm you are limited to unique processes. Probably your snes is a real core implementation and as such can't be configured yet. You can create a cfg for the retroarch process though
this is actually the first version that's really getting used by people and I never considered retroarch during dev - the arm compilation was just something that I did in the end...
.4 is getting developed with the pi in mind.

I meant to post that last night, i found that out by testing them haha, well when you release .4 i will get that and use it to the fullest! please add a donate button or something, i have been so pleased with this already

ZoOl007

• Offline Offline
    • RGBcommander
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2017, 03:19:08 pm »
@kcco406

I released 0.4 yesterday - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,153682.0.html -  and added the donate button you asked for  :angel:

rgds
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 04:01:06 pm by ZoOl007 »