Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MameRoom / NorthCoast Custom over-the-CP Restrictor  (Read 13690 times)

ppv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2020, 03:08:56 pm
  • The cheap@ss gamer
MameRoom / NorthCoast Custom over-the-CP Restrictor
« on: May 16, 2016, 03:32:08 pm »
Hey all!

Here is the first part of the review for Mameroom/Northcoast custom over the panel Joystick restrictor.

First and foremost, please ignore any grammatical error I may let slip through as English is only my second language (I'm French-Canadian)

I had the same experience as Yotsuya, as I have received a well packaged little box that protected the package inside. Very fast shipping too, considering they took the time to ask for clarification before sending the restrictor. I am well pleased with this experience and will certainly do business with this company again.

The package contained the restrictor ring, the restrictor moving plate, two sets of restrictor pegs, the tiny lever, instructions and a template. The plastic seems to be of good quality and looks like it can withstand abuse.

The Restrictor:

This is the first piece. It is quite big, almost 4 inches in diameter. Notice the textured piece, it's this piece that rotates to reveal the restrictor pegs. It is completely removable.

Here are the restrictor pegs:

They come in two sets depending on your CP, respectively 3/4 for the rounded ones and 5/8 for the right-angled.

This little piece that operate the switch:

And here is what they look like installed and in the open position:

I noticed that they came in black instead of blue, which suited me fine as I like these kind of things to be invisible.

The installation:

The one thing that's jarring is that there is nothing to hold all this together. The instructions tell you put the template over the flipped-out restrictor and , while holding things down, flip it on your CP. After you have done that, do not lift the restrictor as everything will fall apart. This was probably done to keep the lowest profile possible.
Three things: 1) use the template. 2) calculate, calculate and calculate. 3) Find a way to temporarily fasten the plate before committing to screws.

I say this because this thing needs to be precisely placed, as a millimeter shift will result in reachable diagonals. It needs to be exactly at the right place.
But besides that, easy-peasy.

Note to everybody that use a CP layout found on Slagcoin:

if your CP is based on the one above or any where the joystick is closer to the first buttons, this restrictor will almost touch them. It's not as aesthetically pleasing and you have to place the switch on the other side.

Next: The tests.
Doing arcades, the cheap@ss way!
First Project : ttp://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151071.0.html
Next one : The Token Muncher [urlhttp://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,135417.0.html[/url]

langlem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2024, 10:33:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: MameRoom / NorthCoast Custom over-the-CP Restrictor
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 11:21:51 pm »
Very nice write up!  Looking forward to hearing the test results. Have high hopes for this product!

megamoze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 20, 2024, 10:21:47 am
  • Loving my cabinet, built summer 2015
MameRoom / NorthCoast Custom over-the-CP Restrictor
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 05:39:19 pm »
Ok, finally got my restrictor plates!

They were well machined, seemed like good quality plastic, and pretty easy to install.  One issue I had was that my joystick was not initially installed dead center of the hole, so I had to fix that before installing the restrictor or it wasn't going to function properly.

It definitely works as advertised.  The movement feels totally natural in 4-way mode.  I tried on a few games and it made a world of difference (although I still suck huge Burgertime).

The only con is that it does add an obvious add-on aesthetic to your CP, which may not appeal to everyone.  For my home brew cab, it's fine (I'll try to post a pic later). 

Also, I seemed to have damaged my rotary control board in the process of installing, which sucks, but that's not really the restrictor plate's fault.

EDIT:  Rotary controls are fine.  Somehow my cfg file for Ikari Warriors got messed up.  It's working fine now, although I did damage my Coin slot 1 button.  :(
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 03:36:05 pm by megamoze »

steved61

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2020, 05:11:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 11:48:12 am »
Does anyone know if this would work on a Happs Flightstick for Tron ?

megamoze

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 01:44:41 pm »

I think it comes down to the distance between the CP surface and the bottom of the plastic case of the Flightstick.  The restrictor plate adds maybe 1/8" to the thickness of the CP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 06:48:43 pm »
I would like to see both positions. A video of transition between states would be ideal. Unfortunately, their videos onsite are down.

ppv

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2020, 03:08:56 pm
  • The cheap@ss gamer
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 12:12:57 am »
Am currently in the middle of a build, will try and do this soon... mea culpa!
Doing arcades, the cheap@ss way!
First Project : ttp://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151071.0.html
Next one : The Token Muncher [urlhttp://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,135417.0.html[/url]

megamoze

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 06:17:23 pm »
Here are two photos of my installation.  Might not be a lot of people's first choice aesthetically speaking, but they do seem to work as advertised.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 01:40:34 pm »
No, no it would not.  The Happs Flightstick has a metal plate on top.  In addition, everything is made of metal and then stick is pretty bulky.  It would most likely break the plastic restrictor and it's small parts, since it was not designed for it.

Instead, there is a restrictor mod that will take care of the light cycle stage problem for you though.  https://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,78233.40.html

DeL

Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment: