Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Turbo Twist 2 & RetroPie  (Read 1820 times)

Shanefrom302

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Offline Offline
Turbo Twist 2 & RetroPie
« on: May 10, 2016, 12:46:19 am »
I cannot figure out how to get My Pi1 model b+ to recognize the usb spinner! Is anyone using a turbo twist 2 spinner with a raspberry pi that can help me get it working? Thanks

nurmweb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Turbo Twist 2 & RetroPie
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 05:21:41 pm »
I'm having pretty much the same problem. Raspberry Pi 2 model B (running Retropie 3.6) and a Turbo Twist 2 spinner from GroovyGameGear. I have been messing around in the command line with "lsusb" to show what's hooked up to USB and it shows the device's ID#, but not the name and data that show up for it when I use "dmesg", which shows "Turbo Twist 2" and "Manufacturer: GGG" and "HID USB Mouse v1.10". When I check to see if the Raspberry Pi is receiving input from the "mouse" (spinner, trackball & 3 buttons) with "cat /dev/input/mice" it shows that it IS getting the data in the form of weird symbols when I touch all the controls hooked up to the TurboTwist encoder. It all works fine hooked up to my laptop, and then the Raspberry Pi seems to get the signals from it, but AdvMame-1.4 doesn't register it at all (or any mouse). In fact I've tried 3 mouse devices with the Raspberry Pi and I can't get any to work, even if they are detected with "lsusb". I've gone into the advmame-1.4.rc file to edit the mouse input and the various assignments there, but no change. I need to get this finished already. Been working on it for months. :blowup:

I hope somebody that knows how to fix this will chime in.

Zeg1

• Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 06:12:47 pm »

had the same issues and finally got my TurboTwist 2 spinner working in Retropie !! took a long time to figure everything out and gather info from other forums.

so here is how i got it working: first of all, you gotta use 'advance mame'.. looks like Retroarch / libretro emulators don't support spinners.

so, depending on your advmame version :
sudo nano /opt/retropie/configs/mame-advmame/advmame-1.4.rc   or    sudo nano /opt/retropie/configs/mame-advmame/advmame-0.94.0.rc

change the following settings :

device_mouse raw
device_raw_mousedev[0] /dev/input/mouse0
device_raw_mousedev[1] auto
device_raw_mousedev[2] auto
device_raw_mousedev[3] auto
device_raw_mousetype[0] ps2
device_raw_mousetype[1] ps2
device_raw_mousetype[2] ps2
device_raw_mousetype[3] ps2

... then change this :
input_map[p1_dialx] mouse[0,x]  for advmame 0.9
input_map[p1_dialx] mouse[0,0] for  advmame 1.4

also, to fix some issues :
sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt

and add

usbhid.mousepoll=2

at the end of the command line

with that, i got arkanoid 1,2 and returns, and also qester to work with advancemame  :notworthy:

1500points

• Offline Offline
    • How to succeed at Robotron
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 11:56:12 am »
a-ha!  just found this via a google search.  Thanks for the details, I'll try it out....

UPDATE- darn, tried this with advmame (advmame.rc) but still doesn't work.  I'll install adv 1.4 next and try it....

UPDATE 2- no go.  tried all 3 versions of advmame and even double checked my work per your steps.  tab>configure this game>the spinner isn't recognized when i try to map dial analog, using tempest as example

had the same issues and finally got my TurboTwist 2 spinner working in Retropie !! took a long time to figure everything out and gather info from other forums.

so here is how i got it working: first of all, you gotta use 'advance mame'.. looks like Retroarch / libretro emulators don't support spinners.

so, depending on your advmame version :
sudo nano /opt/retropie/configs/mame-advmame/advmame-1.4.rc   or    sudo nano /opt/retropie/configs/mame-advmame/advmame-0.94.0.rc

change the following settings :

device_mouse raw
device_raw_mousedev[1] auto
device_raw_mousedev[2] auto
device_raw_mousedev[3] auto

... then change this :
input_map[p1_dialx] mouse[0,x]  for advmame 0.9
input_map[p1_dialx] mouse[0,0] for  advmame 1.4

also, to fix some issues :
sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt

and add

usbhid.mousepoll=2

at the end of the command line

with that, i got arkanoid 1,2 and returns, and also qester to work with advancemame  :notworthy:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 12:24:57 pm by 1500points »

1500points

• Offline Offline
    • How to succeed at Robotron
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 07:19:19 pm »
I finally got advance mame working using the content from the retropie forums-

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/2836/turbotwist-2-spinner-for-retropie/15

sudo nano /opt/retropie/configs/mame-advmame/advmame.rc
(also edit advmame-0.94.rc and advmame-1.4.rc depending on which versions of mame you have installed in retropie)

Entry values to be updated

device_mouse raw
device_raw_mousedev[1] /dev/input/mouse1
device_raw_mousedev[2] /dev/input/mouse2
device_raw_mousedev[3] /dev/input/mouse3

input_map[p1_dialx] mouse[0,x] mouse[1,x] mouse[2,x] mouse[3,x]

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31