Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: cga to vga converter review  (Read 3335 times)

abispac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 04:59:22 pm
cga to vga converter review
« on: May 09, 2016, 12:52:42 am »
So one of my dreams is to build some bartops with original games pcb , so far i started with ms pacman, but i did not wanted to use an old monitor so instead i was trying to figure out if cga to vga converters where any good, so i found lots of opinions and i decided to give it a go myslef so heres a review.

Since im not a big pixel  by pixel fan , as what i really enjoy when i was a kid was the game itself, i really dont care if the game looks original, or with any type of filters, what i really need is just the image to display on the monitor , and this cga to vga converter does the trick, http://www.ebay.com/itm/351493652707?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I am using it on a real ms pacman pcb with a dc arcade power supply, i had to rewire a jamma harness to be able to use it and everything came up good. Colors look good, no lags that i  can tell, so  far so good, it does require some twiking to be able to work ok but bothhing mayor. So if anyone wants any more feedback on this ill be more than glad to provide it. One thing i found before buying was that there are 2 types of converters but this one its the one that works better.  I have another on the way to test on a mr.do and o a yiear kung fuu board. I dont even know if the boards are any good but i bought them from the same guy i bought the ms pacman and the pac was working so i just asume that they will work, the mr do has a blown cap so i  will have to replace that first. Anyway let me know what you guys thiink.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 01:21:08 pm by abispac »

Jamesyan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 21, 2016, 04:07:48 am
  • www.happmart.com
Re: cga to vga converter review
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 06:30:25 am »

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 04:59:22 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 06:18:40 pm »
hi, you can check this for reference: http://www.happmart.com/Pro_Details.aspx?id=543&sid=121&px=6.
that one has incompatibility issues and its week, you need to buy the one that has 2 vga outlets

gdonovan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2021, 02:37:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 09:16:53 am »
Just an FYI on the converter boards- The Ebay market is rife with Chinese clones and some do not play well with Midway boards. I'm told that some of the Midway boards have a refresh rate of 53hz vs 60hz and the chipsets don't know what to do with the output.

In my case I was testing Blitz, Blitz 99 and Road Burners and the output on the LCD turns pink/white inside 10 minutes. Resetting the converter board clears the problem but its right back again. Mace the Dark age works fine as does Tetris and 1943 and a few other titles.

Hope this helps anyone looking. I went around and around with the vendor and then started doing research....

Gary