Main > News Board

successful reverse engineering of Capcom's CPS2 security programming

<< < (2/6) > >>

Malenko:

--- Quote from: pbj on May 02, 2016, 05:44:20 pm ---Fire up the paddy wagon, it's time to lock some nerds up...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-circumvention#Circumvention_of_Access_Controls

--- End quote ---

One could effectively argue Sec. 103(f) of the DMCA (17 U.S.C. 1201) allows reverse engineering, and this would fall under that section. But lets not play armchair lawyer, and just hope that people can start resurrecting their CPS2 B boards without resorting to Phonexing the roms.

yotsuya:

--- Quote from: ed12 on May 03, 2016, 12:14:25 am ---oh ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- here we go again

>The post specifically says "without hardware modification".  So I'm assuming that MAME and the de-suicide stuff was a hack and not actual decryption.<

when will ppl understand
unless the actual code writer gave it to and or permission to use it
U HACKED it
it can not be any clearer

ed

--- End quote ---
Slow your roll, player. By hack, he meant "work around". He's not talking about the actual act of getting the game code.

pbj:
Why is 'phonexing' the roms undesirable?

HaRuMaN:

--- Quote from: pbj on May 03, 2016, 10:10:16 am ---Why is 'phonexing' the roms undesirable?

--- End quote ---

I think it subtly changes the gameplay?  I had a phoenixed MVC once, I honestly couldn't tell a difference. 

Malenko:

--- Quote from: pbj on May 03, 2016, 10:10:16 am ---Why is 'phonexing' the roms undesirable?

--- End quote ---

personally?  I hate the "Phoenix Edition" branding and website ad ,but in general they have a lower "value" when buying/selling

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version