Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Make any joystick a 4-way, 8-way switchable joystick from the top of the panel!  (Read 13674 times)

megamoze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 20, 2024, 10:21:47 am
  • Loving my cabinet, built summer 2015
I've had mine installed for awhile.  They work as advertised and saved me a heap of trouble/money.  I think it works great and was well worth the investment for what I was looking for.

I can imagine that many here would object to the aesthetics of it.  They're not the prettiest, but not objectionable to me for my setup.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
I've had mine installed for awhile.  They work as advertised and saved me a heap of trouble/money.  I think it works great and was well worth the investment for what I was looking for.

I can imagine that many here would object to the aesthetics of it.  They're not the prettiest, but not objectionable to me for my setup.

I am a purist and that looks fine. While different, it doesn't look "wrong", that could totally be a joystick on a factory built machine.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 02:14:24 pm
  • Flap Flap Flap

It looks fine to me, definitely not bad. I'm considering getting a pair of them myself. What I'm worried about is how they feel. Do you notice the screw heads rubbing against your palm or anything else that might be unusual?

Thanks for posting the pic and any additional information.

pixel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2019, 05:33:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
 Its an interesting design... but I can not see that lasting a  "Lifetime".   Those thin plastic fins are going to wear down pretty fast from any decent amount of play.   If you put this in a busy location,  in a MsPacman...  It probably would not last 3 months.

Also, due to the sharp nature of contact points, and low surface area (thickness of the walls),  ... its going to dig into any bats plastic shaft as well.

Now, maybe if you are one of these people whom play with no force or frenzy at all... you may get longer lasting results.   But typical players will see wear.

Being a former arcade mgr..  I used to have Happ's 8-way joystick spacers wear down like crazy.   Maybe 6 months...  then you had to flip them over.  You would look down into the control panel,  and see fine white dust piles... from where the spacer grindings landed.

I suppose if its cheap enough, people wont mind replacing it, regardless.

Even the Old Wico 4ways,  which used a fairly thick plastic diamond shaped hole.. reinforced with an internal metal part..  would wear down eventually.  The Old Bally 4 ways,  were probably the best... in that they had a thick solid metal top diamond,  and a replaceable bottom mounted diamond made of plastic.   The rubber grommet helped greatly to reduce impact and thus, reduce outer-edge wear.

megamoze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 20, 2024, 10:21:47 am
  • Loving my cabinet, built summer 2015
What I'm worried about is how they feel. Do you notice the screw heads rubbing against your palm or anything else that might be unusual?

It's not uncomfortable but you definitely feel that it's there.  I don't notice the screws, which are pretty small, but I do notice the edge of the plate itself.  It's a fairly hard plastic with a texture on it and the corners aren't rounded at all.

Again, not uncomfortable and it doesn't bother me, but it's not an invisible experience.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Just run a file around the edge to break the corner.  Makes all the difference in the world.