Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing  (Read 230250 times)

fallacy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
Re: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing
« Reply #1040 on: November 18, 2020, 09:02:07 pm »
I just tried it, initial thoughts I am not that impressed. The resolution is only a slight bump compared to the index and it does not really seem to have that because it has the same lens problem that I ---smurfing--- hated about the Lenovo. it is clear when you look straight ahead but when you turn your eyes to the side it looks like complete ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---; i get all HMD’s are clearer in the middle but with the mixed reality it is a bothersome extreme, I am not convinced at all they did anything different with the lenses. Also the the FOV is just… it is hard to go back to that binocular crap after being in the index so long.

mimic

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:58:45 pm
« Reply #1041 on: November 18, 2020, 09:25:48 pm »
I just tried it, initial thoughts I am not that impressed. The resolution is only a slight bump compared to the index and it does not really seem to have that because it has the same lens problem that I ---smurfing--- hated about the Lenovo. it is clear when you look straight ahead but when you turn your eyes to the side it looks like complete ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---; i get all HMD’s are clearer in the middle but with the mixed reality it is a bothersome extreme, I am not convinced at all they did anything different with the lenses. Also the the FOV is just… it is hard to go back to that binocular crap after being in the index so long.
That's disappointing to hear you're not wowed at the very least by the clarity. So far it seem the unanimous conclusion is that there is no clearer HMD.

What did you try so far? Which games?

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1042 on: November 18, 2020, 10:08:24 pm »
Just the lab - Vesper Peak demo and Half Life Alyx balcony. Tried to play a 3d movie in my favorite player DeoVR but the motion controllers would not pick up in that app. I will try some more tomorrow

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1043 on: November 19, 2020, 03:31:24 am »

Is your Win10 install fully up to date?  They supposedly added some things in the October update specifically to support the G2.

There are 2,361,600 more pixels per eye than the index.  That's more than a slight bump, it's almost double.  What do you have Steam's SS setting at?  I would ask if you were mistakenly in half-res mode, but I haven't been able to find it yet to confirm that it even exists.

As for the FOV, out of the box, the padding is pretty stiff.  After a few hours, it'll compress a bit and bring your eyes a little closer to lenses.  Apparently, a Chinese company already has a replacement face gasket which gets you closer and opens up the FOV quite a bit, but it's not yet for sale outside of China. 

Anyway, something sounds off.  The Odyssey has the same resolution as the Index, but with a narrower FOV, so the pixel density should be pretty close even with it's pentile displays.  The G2 trounces the Odyssey in image clarity and the through the lens videos comparing it to the Index reflect the same level of difference I'm seeing when compared to the Odyssey.  I played a bit of Racket: NX tonight, and the blur would be kicking in at the distance of the walls with the Odyssey.  It's non-existent with the G2, and the details in the ball are crazy.  Never even knew they were there before.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1044 on: November 19, 2020, 12:43:52 pm »
Anyway, something sounds of.f.  The Odyssey has the same resolution as the Index, but with a narrower FOV, so the pixel density should be pretty close even with it's pentile displays

I have not tried the Odyssey either but I thought I remember them saying they blurred the pixels on the Odyssey 2 to try to eliminate screen door effect or something? Anyway I know the image on the Odyssey does not compare to the Index. Looking at certain specs hardly ever tells the story. It's why Iphone specs will usually get blown out of the water by Android and yet everything runs faster and more stable on the iphone. Even with the Cosmos the talk the whole time was it has more cameras so the inside out tracking has to be better than Mixed reality because more cameras = more coverage = better tracking…right? clearly that was not the case.
I just watched Marques Brownlee review on the iPhone 12 Pro Max, on paper it seems like it should have a lot better camera system allowing more light in with better stability but with all his testing he could not find any difference in photos compared to the 12 mini.

If the review for the G2 was just its resolution spec I would have not cared less just like I did not care about the G1. Every review was saying it was an uncompromised high color high resolution perfect uniform display but I am just not seeing it. I will say it is more conferrable than the index. The most comfortable headset I have had was the CV1, it was light, it did not put pressure on any single point, it felt like you were snapping on just a hat and glasses. If I were to Give the CV1 a 10/10 for comfort then I would give the G2 a 9/10 just below really good.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1045 on: November 19, 2020, 01:31:24 pm »

As I noted in my last post, in the through-the-lens videos comparing the Index with the G2, the Index looks almost exactly like what I see through my Odyssey+ unit.  The Index also looks to also be employing a diffusion filter, given the softness of the image.

The G2 image is so much better than the Odyssey+ that it's hard to put into words.  When looking at things up close, The O+ is very nice, but that fall-off in clarity happens rapidly when any distance is added to the mix, and even at a short distance details are lost.  This is 100% a function of the "numbers on paper" and there's no magic which can change that.  Resolving power is a function of raw resolution.  And, while neither the G2 or the Index can match the contrast and color of the O+, the G2 comes really, really close.  Again, the videos show the Index to be pretty lacking in that regard.

I won't even attempt to compare controllers and tracking with the Index, but when it comes to displays, I'm struggling in the same way to understand how the two could be compared.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1046 on: November 19, 2020, 02:57:11 pm »
what video

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1047 on: November 20, 2020, 10:57:13 am »

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1048 on: November 20, 2020, 03:27:57 pm »
Here's another which talks about the image fidelity of the G2:

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1049 on: November 20, 2020, 08:39:07 pm »
Ya Norm is the master of everything VR. I think in the early days I found out 80% of what was going on in VR industry through him. Did you notice he confirmed everything that was wrong with the tracking / battery life and stated he wished he could buy a headset without the controllers?

I used 2 fingers and pushed the headset closer to my face and that evens out the image a little more but I am still not convinced with this thing. I did already state the image is a little better than the index, my problem is the image is not big enough or an even quality throughout.

Watching this guys video to figure out how to use my index controllers with it.
First thing he says was hey you can hook up your old vive for the set up process. I am l like cool let me pull it out. It WILL not ---smurfing--- CONNECT to my PC no matter what I do. I finally brought in my media PC into my computer room which only has a 970 graphics card and everything works fine on that one. Funny I realized using the Vive with a 970 graphics card was basically the same as what I had in 2016 when I first got VR. I went into a steam Home and then went into a Half Life Alex room… OMG I know how it is supposed to look with a 1080-ti in the index and it legitimately looked like Half Life Alex running on a Quest 1, I could not believe how far we have already come. I am sure it will be even another step once we are able to get are 3080’s if they are ever in stock
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 08:49:53 pm by fallacy »

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1050 on: November 20, 2020, 09:20:04 pm »
Ok I finally got the Vive to work on my main PC. I think the problem was the index usb was still plugged into the pc and for some reason that was causing a conflict??? It was also plugged in when I set up the G2 and that worked fine. I checked out the Half Life Alex room again and it looked a lot better with the higher CPU/GPU

mimic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:58:45 pm
« Reply #1051 on: November 20, 2020, 09:45:31 pm »
 Is your headset functioning at half-resolution by any chance? What are your specs??

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1052 on: November 20, 2020, 10:16:55 pm »
Ok I finally got the Vive to work on my main PC. I think the problem was the index usb was still plugged into the pc and for some reason that was causing a conflict???

Hmmm...  Maybe some of the same circuitry is shared between the Vive and the Index.  Could be confusing the system.  They did both come from Valve.

If you want to get the Index controllers working, you would need to pair them with the Vive headset (assuming that you want to use it as the receiver) and have only the USB and power connected.  The HDMI must be unconnected.  When you power them on, you should see them in SteamVR, but they probably will be a good distance away from your position.  Download and install the Space Calibrator software and run the calibration (follow the instructions on the download site).  When calibrating to your space, you will need the G2 controller.  Make certain that it's working well in your environment, and when calibrating, be sure you are wearing the G2 and that you always keep the controllers in your view.   Don't stand in one spot, rather move about your play space while moving the controllers around.  Once it works the way you want, you can have it boot automatically.  IIRC, I was able to just turn on the controllers, and everything would start up, dropping me right into SteamVR.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #1053 on: November 20, 2020, 10:19:35 pm »

https://gamehistory.org/segavr/

I’m still upset this never came out.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1054 on: November 20, 2020, 10:30:40 pm »
Yep I just got it to work:) are you doing that right now with the vive controllers? Feels good, index controllers so much better. The thought of having to play with the WMR controllers was equivalent to someone handing you a gamepad and the B button was sticky and the down right on the thumbstick only worked about  75% of the time.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1055 on: November 20, 2020, 11:07:47 pm »
IIRC, I was able to just turn on the controllers, and everything would start up, dropping me right into SteamVR.

ow ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- you are right!!! that's convenient. I just bought a 2tb ssd for all VR games so everything boots up super fast. If my PC is turned on a literally just have to power on my controllers and I am in VR, no friction at all.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1056 on: November 21, 2020, 09:52:54 am »
Yep I just got it to work:) are you doing that right now with the vive controllers? Feels good, index controllers so much better. The thought of having to play with the WMR controllers was equivalent to someone handing you a gamepad and the B button was sticky and the down right on the thumbstick only worked about  75% of the time.

Glad to hear that you got it working.  I only use the Vive controllers when I feel like a couple of games of bowling, or some game that relies on accurate positioning of the controllers somewhere outside of the HMD view.  In the past, this also included archery games, and to some extent, table tennis/racket games, but not any more with the G2.  The new side cameras took care of those use cases.

WMR isn't as bad as all that.  It depends on what you are used to, and if you are used to the Lighthouse tracking system, it's tough to use anything else.  But someone coming from the Move controllers on the PSVR, or a 3DOF unit, or a "Walmart" VR headset will think they died and went to VR heaven when using WMR.  WMR tracking is a profound upgrade over those. 

What you are using right now, represents $1200 worth of gear, with $600 of that dedicated to the controllers alone.  G2 with WMR gets pretty close to that functionality at half the cost, with the best image quality on the market.  I think a more accurate analog would be that WMR is like using a standard optical mouse to play first person shooters as opposed to a $300 16000dpi laser mouse.  You can play fine with both,  but the expensive one will afford you an extra competitive edge.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:05:37 am by RandyT »

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1057 on: November 21, 2020, 10:35:12 am »

https://gamehistory.org/segavr/

I’m still upset this never came out.

I'm waiting for someone to build VR into Playstation or N64 emulators.  Games like Crash Bandicoot or Mario 64 would be pretty cool in upscaled 3D with the ability to control the in-game camera (where available) with the HMD tracking.  With the strides being made in AI, I can see a time when even old 2D games are automatically given an element of depth.  Imagine something like this, but without the need to customize the ROM code.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1058 on: November 21, 2020, 12:05:06 pm »
it was in TimeCop

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1059 on: November 21, 2020, 12:16:31 pm »
Look at that light leakage! :)

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #1060 on: November 21, 2020, 03:57:52 pm »
I still want to know how they were doing head tracking for $1

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1061 on: November 21, 2020, 06:14:52 pm »
The VFX1 the coolest PC HMD at the same time used head tracking with gyroscopes or like how  a compass works magnetic north. There was obviously a lot of lag. I almost bought that headset at the time, I read a review that discueged me saying your money would be better spent upgrading your graphics card. I now wish I had just so I can say I was in VR before anyone else.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1062 on: November 21, 2020, 10:18:09 pm »
G2 is exhausting. Ya it is higher rez but that's about it. The index controllers not really working, every time I turn it on they end up in a different location, there are games and and apps that will just open to a grey screen because of them why? Who the ---fudgesicle--- knows. I dont know whats wrong with the FOV, I just put on the original vive and I was fine with that. Either the face pad is putting you too far away from the screen or something. Getting sick of going through that mixed reality software before you can get into steam just another chain to break everything else. Not sure if I should sell it and wait for the index 2 to do this right. Mixed Reality fooled me twice but by god it won't happen a third time!

I am also completely over this 100 degree-ish FOV, If we are not talking 135 plus FOV including mobile HMDs or whatever else they come out with I am not interested.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1063 on: November 22, 2020, 11:35:15 am »
G2 is exhausting. Ya it is higher rez but that's about it. The index controllers not really working, every time I turn it on they end up in a different location, there are games and and apps that will just open to a grey screen because of them why? Who the ---fudgesicle--- knows. I dont know whats wrong with the FOV, I just put on the original vive and I was fine with that. Either the face pad is putting you too far away from the screen or something. Getting sick of going through that mixed reality software before you can get into steam just another chain to break everything else. Not sure if I should sell it and wait for the index 2 to do this right. Mixed Reality fooled me twice but by god it won't happen a third time!

I am also completely over this 100 degree-ish FOV, If we are not talking 135 plus FOV including mobile HMDs or whatever else they come out with I am not interested.

If your Index controllers are off every time you boot, then your environment is changing, or not ideal (maybe shadows moving based on the time of day and not enough else in the room to sync to.)  Also, did you set up and sync the chaperone boundaries on both units?

There are a few games which do a grey screen just because of the G2.  I haven't seen one yet, but those are the reports.  The same thing happened when the Odyssey first came out because it was higher resolution than the other WMR units.  It'll likely need to be fixed by the game developers.  Normal stuff for something new.

The eye relief was designed to allow glasses wearers clearance for them in the HMD.  The FOV is basically the same as the Index, when the Index is set to maximum eye relief.  There's a simple hack which basically uses thick, self-adhesive neoprene door seal foam on the HMD in lieu of the included face gasket, to open up the FOV for non-glasses wearers.  Try taking off the face gasket and looking at the FOV you get from that to see what to expect from it.  There are reports of at least one manufacturer in China who has already developed a replacement.  I would imagine more will follow.  Personally, my face shape allows my eyes to get pretty close to the lenses, and I can already see the screen edges with a tiny bit of pressure applied to the front the unit.  Those with a broader face shape will have different results.

The G2 has already spoiled me to the point that going back to any other unit is a non-starter.  My biggest complaint about it is that I only have one, and it has been tethered to my cable management system so I can't use it on my racing rig.  First world problems.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 11:38:38 am by RandyT »

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1064 on: November 22, 2020, 02:13:57 pm »
So, I just set up my Vive wands to use with the G2 for some testing in Pistol Whip.  Calibration went fine, solid tracking, right where they are supposed to be.

Played a few rounds of the Ember song on normal difficulty with the Vive controller, and ended up with a rank of 942 in the global rankings.  So I exit the game, turn off the Vive wands and fire up the G2 controller to see if I do any worse with it.  Same song, same difficulty settings.  Didn't notice any difference during play, but I did feel like I preferred the trigger of the Vive wand.  Made it through to the end on the first try with the G2 controller and with a global rank of 516!!

I'm not saying that the G2 controller is superior in any way, but based on the result, it absolutely didn't hinder my game in any way.  It won't be like that with every title, but for most of what I am interested in playing, I won't see much difference between the two.  I'll add that I have yet to seriously play the VR Call of Duty wannabes, so that may be a bit of a different case.  I suspect that I will pick up Population One when I see a sale, so I'll figure that out at some point.

But testing with the Vive wands seemed to work fine on my end.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1065 on: December 01, 2020, 10:39:54 pm »
I have ironed out most things at this point with the G2, with that said overall I still don't like it, the FOV and the lenses. I think these are the worst lenses I have seen in all my headsets including the ones with bad god rays and glare. The blurriness around the edges making the FOV even worse, other weird things with white light that almost makes the image shift when you turn your head. I don't know  I am liking the crisp monitor like resolution but I really want it on a better headset. At this point I am thinking the Quest 2 hooked up to your PC might be slightly better, for the loss of resolution and a little color at least the lenses are not crap.

Apparently my dad has been playing alot of Quest. He has been playing a lot of In Death which I recommended and he is really into it. I have been playing it for the last week as well; I don't know what it is about that game but it is really satisfying hitting everything with that bow, it becomes like 20 minutes of meditation. If I were to compare it to an arcade game I would compare it to that X-men beat 'em up game. All you have is a jump and one attack and yet you can keep going through one guy after another and feel like it is good stuff.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1066 on: December 02, 2020, 11:52:29 am »
From everything I have seen, I can't even fathom a Q2 being better.  The general consensus from those who have purchased both units was that they thought the Q2 looked pretty good until they tried the G2 and realized how much better it is.  It sounds to me like you wanted an Index 2, but bought a Reverb G2 because there isn't one, and the price tag is causing some buyer's remorse.  The other point about the lenses is puzzling.  Even with a small fall-off of sharpness out of the razor-sharp center, it still has more clarity than any other unit out there by virtue of the panel resolution.  But at least for my facial geometry, the fit of the unit makes it pretty easy to stay put in that high-sharpness zone.

I will agree about In Death.  It's one that I always find myself going back to.  It's even better now on the G2, given the artistic detail in the scenery (at least on the PC version) and the fact that those archers are often pretty distant.  It's a lot easier to dial in on them now in long-range battle.

I don't know if your dad is into gunplay and techno-pop, but he might like Pistol Whip as well.  It has a similar "hop in and play" vibe, and once you get tired of the aim-assisted, big hit-box style of rhythm game, you can turn on dead-eye and make it a real shooting game.  It gets pretty brutal in that mode.  I believe all versions just got a major update with a campaign mode as well.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1067 on: December 02, 2020, 02:54:30 pm »
Ya I was trying to get them Pistol Whip, I finally got my mom to buy Super Hot on an Oculus sale and I had my dad  try it when I was over one night; we will see if he continues to play it on his own. I had them try and buy Beat Saber when they first bought the Quest but they said they were not playing it.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1068 on: December 03, 2020, 03:31:18 pm »
Ya I was trying to get them Pistol Whip, I finally got my mom to buy Super Hot on an Oculus sale and I had my dad  try it when I was over one night; we will see if he continues to play it on his own. I had them try and buy Beat Saber when they first bought the Quest but they said they were not playing it.

Heh.  I'm starting to wonder if they are in my age bracket.  I remember when the devs announced that they were working on BS, and thought it sounded cheesy.  It apparently struck some chord in the general public that likely surprised even the devs (good for them).  I remain skeptical, however, and wouldn't even consider the purchase for more than $10, but it never goes on sale.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1069 on: December 03, 2020, 04:33:52 pm »
BS is still the best games on index with the most replay ability. Downloading all the player made ones with good songs is what keeps the game interesting; I have like 20 favorited that I found that think are better than the ones that came with the game. You also need a good stereo system/sub in your room to get the full in pack. With the index he higher FOV helps see where you are cutting while keeping your eyes straight ahead for incoming blocks.  The index controllers work well, undo the straps and hold them like swords. Still running into problems with the G2, the game is not running as quite as smooth as it should, I noticed the lower FOV in that game most of all. I am also getting a second sound lag between the G2 speakers and my stereo which I was not getting with the index.

When you get good and you have the sound system you start to feel like you are conducting an orchestra or something.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #1070 on: December 07, 2020, 01:21:59 pm »
So... I'm thinking of getting the kids something out of the blue for Christmas this year and I'm leaning towards a VR headset.  Is there any consensus "best" one to get?  I'm not sure I have the ability to pair it to a PC unless the PC can be in the next room.  We have an office off of the TV room with the home PC that can run most games at 1080P.  Is it better to get one that tethers to a PC or something that is a standalone "system"?  My house is tiny so there isn't a lot of room to be blindfolded and flailing around without knocking stuff over so we are probably limited to the TV room. 

I imagine we will play a lot of Beat Saber since we've all played it and love it.  I'd also like to try the new Half-Life game and whatever else is good.

Any suggestions?

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1071 on: December 07, 2020, 06:59:54 pm »
I guess you are not reading this thread. Quest 2 just released for $300. They are using their billions to subsidize the headset to get people to buy games in their ecosystem. They have no competition at this point even Sony with the PSVR had to give up. You can hook it up to a PC if you want but it was made for standalone. My brother and my sister are buying it for their kids for Christmas everyone is; it's pretty much its own consul now.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #1072 on: December 08, 2020, 10:45:39 am »
I guess you are not reading this thread. Quest 2 just released for $300. They are using their billions to subsidize the headset to get people to buy games in their ecosystem. They have no competition at this point even Sony with the PSVR had to give up. You can hook it up to a PC if you want but it was made for standalone. My brother and my sister are buying it for their kids for Christmas everyone is; it's pretty much its own consul now.

LOL yeah thread too long.  So it's pretty good from what I can tell... what about the Vive?  Oculus Quest 2 is better?

Can you play any game on the Oculus or are you locked to their ecosystem?  I don't see Half-Life Alyx in their store for example.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 11:02:03 am by javeryh »

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1073 on: December 08, 2020, 11:20:17 am »
Vive is Gen1 PC VR (its out)
Index is Gen2 PC VR. (it has a higher resolution screen, better motion controllers and is still using the lighthouse tracking system which was solid. It also cost a whopping $1000 for the entire thing not including the gaming PC you need to run it.

Oculus goal from the start was to get mass adoption into VR. To do that they needed to make a headset that was not only easy to use but cheap enough so that Joe and Sally Walmart might just impulse purchase it and get them into VR for the first time. With the Quest 2 they pretty much accomplished this goal, all the research and development they have been doing with inside out tracking, creating their storefront, game development studios, motion control design has all been consolidated into this final product that they build for people exactly like you. What's really funny is because it is new and the index has been out for a year the $300 Quest has a higher resolution screen than the $1000 index(not including PC)

As far as half-life it is a Valve game, they will never make a Quest version for it or put it on the Oculus store. However you can still play it on the Quest; you need a PC that can run it, you download the game off of Steam and you hook your quest up to the PC with a USB C cable ( I also here it does a good job wireless if you have a wifie 6 router) you run the game off of your PC and the quest acts like a PC VR headset.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 11:46:11 am by fallacy »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1074 on: December 08, 2020, 04:46:02 pm »
Yeah that's what I was going to say, unless you want to play glorified cell phone games you need either a fairly powerful pc or a ps4/ps5..... there's no getting around that.  I don't think a pc that'll just run 1080p is going to cut it, but I'm just guessing here. 

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1075 on: December 09, 2020, 12:54:48 am »
If considering a Quest 2 (or any FB VR System), just remember that you are required to have an FB account to use it.  That account can be shut down at any time if they, or their AI, decide that you have somehow violated their terms.  This includes registering with a fictional name. Then you will forfeit the software and the ability to use the hardware you purchased from and through them.  Also understand that you will be inviting an internet connected device into your home which has 4 cameras and microphones, linked to your real name, and you will be agreeing to one of the most egregious corporate violators of privacy collecting any and all data from that device they see fit to collect, to use and/or sell.

If you are thinking of getting one for your kids, they must be 13+ years of age to comply with those terms mentioned earlier.  If you don't want your kids participating in social media, you might want to consider something else.  The Quest 2 was designed to be a social media and data collection device, with all of it's trappings and which also plays games.

Unfortunately, the cost of that unit isn't just the number on your receipt.  FB's goal is the same as Oculus's was, but for very different reasons.  Whatever they make from the games is just icing on the cake.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 12:56:20 am by RandyT »

SammyWI

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm
« Reply #1076 on: December 09, 2020, 06:21:34 pm »
...However you can still play it on the Quest; you need a PC that can run it, you download the game off of Steam and you hook your quest up to the PC with a USB C cable ( I also here it does a good job wireless if you have a wifie 6 router) you run the game off of your PC and the quest acts like a PC VR headset.
Now that is quite interesting.  The Quest 2 is interesting in a lot of ways but I also share some of RandyT's concerns about it.  On top of that, I have plenty invested in Steam games for my Vive 1 and starting over in a new ecosystem is not appealing.  But if the hardware works wirelessly with a PC that would add a lot of value.  I'd still have to see if I could add Rx inserts to the headset like I have with my Vive (that made a world of difference for me).  Do you have any more info on this or where you have heard it? 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1077 on: December 09, 2020, 06:51:07 pm »
The fact that the psvr is the only headset made by an actual console/gaming hardware manufacturer is what always concerns me.  The psvr was almost guaranteed to be supported the life of the ps4 and now that they released the ps5 adapter it'll most likely stick around for the life of that console as well.  These other headsets, if the manufacturer decides it's not worth it or they decide that they aren't going to support their last gen headsets you are screwed.  If they were cheaper it wouldn't be a big deal, but considering the extreme price of some of these headsets that's worrisome.  At least the Quest 2 is on the cheaper end of the spectrum, but at the same time I can't help but feel you are paying for a built in console that you may or may not be interested in using. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #1078 on: December 09, 2020, 07:16:35 pm »
Like 5 years ago I was involved in purchasing an eye tracker.  We were gonna use it to track eye movement while people with wires in their brains did various tasks. Before the sale closed, they got snapped up by Apple for development for VR headsets.  Around a $25k device at the time. So, we had to go with a competing product that tracked both what you were looking at and what you were seeing aka every married man walking down the sidewalk on a warm day's worst nightmare.  That was a $32k device.

That being said, that was my glimpse into the future. Everything that comes out before the device with dynamic eye tracking is a head on a swivel toy.  So might as well go with the cheap PSVR until then.. 

:dunno

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1079 on: December 09, 2020, 10:57:40 pm »
Do you have any more info on this or where you have heard it?

Are you asking about the wireless trick?