Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing  (Read 230176 times)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing
« Reply #920 on: October 10, 2019, 10:36:40 pm »
Sure, man, it’s great but there are only very narrow times I feel comfortable playing it.  I don’t like being that disconnected from my surroundings.  Doors locked, family home, sober, cell phone in pocket on vibrate.... then I’m relaxed enough.

fallacy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #921 on: October 16, 2019, 01:48:04 am »
Spent $40 for the new oculus studios game Asgard’s Wrath. Playing on the index the game takes like 10 frikin minutes to load and then it runs like sht on a 1080 ti. This is the entire reason why VR has not caught on, unoptimized bull that just pisses you off the entire time. Submitted a refund; the games graphics look good but who cares if it won't run correctly.

SammyWI

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm
« Reply #922 on: October 16, 2019, 06:07:41 pm »
From what I have read, Asgard's Wrath takes a big performance hit when using Revive to get it running on the Index / Vive.  I can't fault them for not optimizing for a platform it's not made for.  But I can fault them for their Oculus platform exclusive BS.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #923 on: October 16, 2019, 11:40:40 pm »
Anyone played Box VR?  Looks fun but it’s $21.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #924 on: October 24, 2019, 03:43:33 pm »
https://futurism.com/the-byte/new-microsoft-tech-dreamwalker-vr

As seen in Vernor Vinge's Rainbow's End (2006)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 04:36:14 pm by Mr. Peabody »

mimic

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:58:45 pm
« Reply #925 on: October 24, 2019, 06:40:14 pm »
Anyone played Box VR?  Looks fun but it’s $21.
Yes I have, it's an ok cardio game. You will sweat for sure if you stick with it.

Sure, man, it’s great but there are only very narrow times I feel comfortable playing it.  I don’t like being that disconnected from my surroundings.  Doors locked, family home, sober, cell phone in pocket on vibrate.... then I’m relaxed enough.

In what sense? Is it actually too immersive for you? Horrors for sure are for me! Even Skyrim gives me hibie-jibies sometimes! It was so unsettling when I returned to mansion in Solthsteim and I think the bug in the game caused the mannequins to shift forward! Creepy as hell! Or when I teleported and thought I left Neloth behind me, just to enter and him being already inside! Total freak out as to who's in my mansion!

Can't wait for the future (hope VR won't die)

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #926 on: November 03, 2019, 11:05:40 am »
Curious who  after all "those" years still using their VR on a consistent basis?

As the thread starter, I suppose I should probably chime in here.

My VR usage has dropped precipitously over the last year.  While there have been a few contributing factors, I think the single biggest reason is that I want something new.

I still have the original Vive I've had since launch. And while I still think VR is the coolest technology to come along in ages, I've reached a point where the shortcomings of the original Vive headset are becoming less tolerable. This is especially knowing there are newer headsets on the market with upgraded visuals, more interesting controllers, and so on.

It seems every single new headset while moving forwards in some respects also seem to be a step backwards in others. I don't see a clear upgrade for me from the current hardware availability.

Just considering the current options:

• Microsoft-based "Mixed Reality" headsets - Tracking fidelity that is not as good as Valve's lighthouse setup.
  • Rift S - Seems a huge step backwards in terms of specs (only 80 Hz display? single display with no h/w IPD adjustment? seriously?).
  • Valve Index - Reported controller issues and not available in Canada.
  • Vive Pro - Reported audio issues and most people who own one say it's only a marginal upgrade over the original Vive.
  • Vive Cosmos - Reported inside-out tracking not as reliable as external lighthouses. Though at least does offer the alternative faceplate to be usable with the lighthouses.
  • Pimax headsets - Questionable build quality/ergonomics.

What I originally wanted was to be able to go to a 3x Lighthouse 2.0 tracking set up with ideally the best current SteamVR headset. Had it not been for the audio issues and lack of a headphone jack on the Vive Pro, I probably would have bought one of those already.

Then there's the Valve Index, but it's not available in Canada and I can't be bothered to jump through a bunch of hoops just to get one.

The strongest contender right now seems like the Vive Cosmos, since I can get the Lighthouse-tracking faceplate to use the base station tracking and original Vive controllers, but still get the upgraded display and ergonomics. I do wish it had bigger FOV though.

So that's where I'm at. I want something new but I don't quite know where to go. Everything seems like a compromise.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 11:10:39 am by shponglefan »

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:04:24 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #927 on: November 04, 2019, 08:49:36 pm »
I use my VR as much as I use my arcades....

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #928 on: November 04, 2019, 11:15:30 pm »
I am kind of in the same boat; Honestly I kind of wish I just bought a Rift S over an Index as blasphemous as that sounds over a hardware perspective. The only thing that was holding it back was the tracking but it sounds like they have it fixed. The problem is VR is not just hardware it is = part software and Oculus has Steam beat so hard right now.  These fukinf index controllers are not maped properly to half the sht you try to play.  It takes steam almost 2 minutes to open...Why? I have no idea it is mind boggling, than takes almost 2 minutes for the VR app to open through steam than it takes almost that long for the steam game to load. That is a hell of a lot of VR friction. Do you know how long it takes the oculus app which is combined with the VR app to open? Like 4 seconds even the games seem to load up faster through the oculus app.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #929 on: November 05, 2019, 10:07:03 pm »
I am kind of in the same boat; Honestly I kind of wish I just bought a Rift S over an Index as blasphemous as that sounds over a hardware perspective. The only thing that was holding it back was the tracking but it sounds like they have it fixed. The problem is VR is not just hardware it is = part software and Oculus has Steam beat so hard right now.

Good point about the software side.

That's what so frustrating. I just wish there was a way to merge all the best bits from each current implementation into a single ideal. Instead, it's a matter of trade-offs.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #930 on: November 06, 2019, 07:34:13 am »
That's what so frustrating. I just wish there was a way to merge all the best bits from each current implementation into a single ideal. Instead, it's a matter of trade-offs.

That quote sums up almost every project I have ever worked on. ;D

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #931 on: November 08, 2019, 10:41:02 pm »
anyone play pistol whip? Finally something good. I had to buy it on oculus for the Quest cross buy and just hope it worked through revive on the index. I am happy to say I was not getting any shudder not even a single drooped frame at any time with out even any downgraded resolution. That's all I ask for in VR.

There was this drawing music video you can download for free called "Show it 2 Me" which I always thought was cool, even though there was no game play you can just dance around while you travel down a road and things pop out with the beat. Pistol whip is basically that but you shoot the things that pop out.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #932 on: December 10, 2019, 08:43:30 pm »
Apparently I've been under a rock for the past few weeks, because this happened: Half-Life: Alyx is a full-length VR prequel coming in 2020, and Valve Index owners get it free

There is also news of a Left 4 Dead VR game in the works. Not that VR needed more zombie games, mind you...

Also, Valve Index now availables in Canada! Just pulled the trigger on an order which will allegedly ship some time in January 2020.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 08:47:05 pm by shponglefan »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #933 on: December 10, 2019, 10:19:09 pm »
Ace Combat on PSVR is pretty cool.  First person Afterburner.

:cheers:

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #934 on: December 12, 2019, 12:16:01 am »
Apparently I've been under a rock for the past few weeks, because this happened: Half-Life: Alyx is a full-length VR prequel coming in 2020, and Valve Index owners get it free

There is also news of a Left 4 Dead VR game in the works. Not that VR needed more zombie games, mind you...

Also, Valve Index now availables in Canada! Just pulled the trigger on an order which will allegedly ship some time in January 2020.

I have always thought since the very beginning of VR they should recreate this left for dead portal scen in VR. Funny thing is boneworks just came out and the graphics look surprisingly similar. It would be an easy thing now to create this in the boneworks engine and steel all the sound effects.

mimic

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:58:45 pm
« Reply #935 on: December 14, 2019, 06:48:28 pm »
anyone play pistol whip? Finally something good. I had to buy it on oculus for the Quest cross buy and just hope it worked through revive on the index. I am happy to say I was not getting any shudder not even a single drooped frame at any time with out even any downgraded resolution. That's all I ask for in VR.

There was this drawing music video you can download for free called "Show it 2 Me" which I always thought was cool, even though there was no game play you can just dance around while you travel down a road and things pop out with the beat. Pistol whip is basically that but you shoot the things that pop out.
The game is a lot of fun and a lot of leg work out for me. Dual guns and aim assist off = frenzy shootout!

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #936 on: December 17, 2019, 08:40:35 pm »
So... just bought a Vive Pro.

Wanted to move to at least 3x base stations for tracking, so the two with the Pro plus the two coming with the Index should hopefully equal tracking nirvana.  ;D

I initially held off buying it because of the reported audio issues. Having now used one for a few hours, I think those fears were overblown. I definitely do notice that with a little extra pressure there is more bass, but all in all the audio isn't bad. Not as good as my prior closed-back headphones I used with the original Vive, but decent enough.

Comfort is improved as well. I seem to be one of the few who didn't have too many issues with the original Vive headstrap; I never bothered upgrading it. However, the rigid "welder's mask" design makes it much easier to put on and remove. It's also nice not to have to futz around with external headphones. I think I've been converted to the built-in audio advantage. The only thing I have noticed that is less comfortable is when I look up. For whatever reason, this causes the headset to shift and dig into my cheekbones. It's a bit obnoxious, but not a deal breaker.

And finally... the visuals! I'd read reports from people saying they weren't overly impressed with the increased resolution. However, for me it was a marked improvement. Text especially went from being continually fuzzy to looking a lot sharper. I've likened the Vive's resolution to the equivalent of a CRT screen in terms of fidelity. The Vive Pro feels more like a 1080p LCD monitor. I feel like the Vive Pro resolution should be the minimal standard for decent in-game VR resolution. Now if only it had a bit more FOV...

Now I'm even more excited to get the Index which should hopefully show up in a month or two.

TL/DR: Improved comfort and visuals are totally worth it on the Vive Pro.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 08:52:34 pm by shponglefan »

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #937 on: December 17, 2019, 08:51:41 pm »
I have always thought since the very beginning of VR they should recreate this left for dead portal scen in VR. Funny thing is boneworks just came out and the graphics look surprisingly similar. It would be an easy thing now to create this in the boneworks engine and steel all the sound effects.

Well now that Valve is slated to release some real VR games, one can always hope for some Portal-esque goodness.

Though I would love it if they could make a proper, Portal-inspired game for VR. I respect the fact they don't want to use the same portal mechanics for fear of making everyone vomit, but something Portal-themed needs to happen.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 09:13:16 pm by shponglefan »

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #938 on: December 19, 2019, 11:04:28 pm »
Ya it sucks that I still can’t do free locomotion. I want to play Boneworks but it just gets me sick; Lone Echo looked like an awesome game but after the first hour I got so sick that I never dared to try it again. Tested just put out a video today on Half Life and it sounds like they will have teleportation thank god.

Why the hell did you buy the Vive Pro?  Also why do you need more than 2 base stations? Not only is the Vive Pro extremely overpriced the Index beats it in every way. You go this long without upgrading your HMD and than you decide to just light your money on fire? Only worse purchase than the Vive Pro is probably a Pimax and the Cosmos is completely worthless. The only 2 HMDS on the market that are worth their weight in salt is the Oculus Quest/CV2 and the Valve Index.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #939 on: December 20, 2019, 11:58:59 am »
Ya it sucks that I still can’t do free locomotion. I want to play Boneworks but it just gets me sick; Lone Echo looked like an awesome game but after the first hour I got so sick that I never dared to try it again. Tested just put out a video today on Half Life and it sounds like they will have teleportation thank god.

I've been hearing reports from people even with their "VR legs" that have had issues with Boneworks and nausea. I guess in someways it's a step forward in terms of physics and interactivity, but a step back in others. All part of the wonderful experiment that is modern gaming VR.

Why the hell did you buy the Vive Pro?  Also why do you need more than 2 base stations?

I've wanted at least three base stations since day one. Two reasons are eliminating instances of occlusion and trying to reduce tracking jitter. My current playspace is reasonably large and my base stations are ~6m apart.

While the tracking is mostly good, I do get occasional occlusion of controllers particularly when on certain periphery of my playspace. Plus, my current PC setup is outside of my official playspace, so any seated play doesn't have ideal tracking.

I've had a certain amount of jitter since day 1 and all attempts to eliminate it (removing/covering reflective surfaces, re-positioning and re-angling base stations, using the sync cable, etc) haven't worked. It's mostly a non-issue except when I want to view certain details close-up. For example, it was noticeable playing Talos Principle VR. Since there is a lot of text reading in that game and it wasn't originally designed for VR, I had to get especially close-up in-game to try to read things. At which point the constant movement of the text on the screen was a distraction.

I'm hoping that both upgrading to 2.0 version of the basestations and moving to 3 or even 4 of them combined will help reduce those issues.

And since I'm moving to 2.0 basestations I also wanted to ensure I had compatible controllers. The original Vive wands are not compatible, but the Vive Pro wands are. This way I'll have controllers to use with older Vive games that have not been updated for the Index controllers.

I'm also very curious how the LCD displays on the Index compares to the OLED in the Vive Pro, given that the resolutions are more comparable (versus the original Vive). I've read reports of people preferring the Vive Pro over the Index for certain games due to the contrast and black levels that are superior on the Vive Pro.

Not only is the Vive Pro extremely overpriced the Index beats it in every way. You go this long without upgrading your HMD and than you decide to just light your money on fire?

I won't deny that the Vive Pro is vastly overpriced for what it is. It should probably be about half the price.

That said, I don't regret buying it give the reasons I listed above. In fact knowing what I know now, I wish I had purchased one a year ago.

Only worse purchase than the Vive Pro is probably a Pimax and the Cosmos is completely worthless. The only 2 HMDS on the market that are worth their weight in salt is the Oculus Quest/CV2 and the Valve Index.

As a headset, the Vive Pro is quite decent. Just the incremental increase in resolution has been worth it. The added comfort and general ergonomics has also been a marked improvement for me. Even the audio has been a pleasant surprise; it's perfectly competent in that regard.

It's definitely overpriced. If it were half the price, I think you'd see it getting recommended a lot more.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 03:57:05 pm by shponglefan »

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #940 on: December 20, 2019, 11:06:41 pm »
Black levels aside which is underwhelming those LCD screens on the index with it’s subpixels make the image appear much sharper at the same resolution of an OLD screen. The index screen can also really pop with color when you are looking at a colorful images; making it feel like you are looking into VR2.0. At those times.  Index also has a higher FOV, now I think horizontally it might actually be the same as a vive when you put your eyes all the way up to the screen but vertically I would say you are getting another easy 10 to 15 degrees over all other HMD’s, It helps alot more than you would think with immersion.  Combine it with the best headphones and best mic where I think the vive pro might have the worst headphones and mic. I think the lenses in the index are slightly better, if nothing else those rings are less pronounced giving you less godrays but you still get light blur. Comfort I don't know, I have heard people complain about the vive pro shifting on your face but no one has those complaints with the index.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #941 on: December 21, 2019, 12:45:00 pm »
I'm expecting good things from the Index in terms of visuals. Certainly the increased FOV and reduced SDE will be nice. And your comments echo what I've read elsewhere about it being good for brightly lit, colorful games.

What I'm most curious is how it fares for games with dark environments like Paranormal Activity or Narcosis. Having the Vive Pro, I'm planning to do some side-by-side comparisons.

Insofar as audio goes, as I said above the Pro has perfectly serviceable audio. In comparison I was using quality closed-back headphones with the Vive (Ultrasone 880). Yet moving to the Pro, I haven't missed my Ultrasones.

Insofar as comfort, I've had no issues with movement and the Pro headset shifting. I put it through its paces with lots of action gaming and it's stayed firmly in place.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 01:09:25 pm by shponglefan »

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #942 on: December 22, 2019, 12:34:23 am »
I have not played a lot of horror games. I just played Vader Immortal and for some reason that is a real dark game, it did not bother me but sometimes you could tell the black levels were not black enough. I recommend you try that one on the index. It is one of those games that you have to get your head around that you are playing an old school 90’s point and click PC game like Return to Zork or Myst or something in VR. The production value is great. At the start there is this one scene where the imperials are making you land your ship on a planet; so you are flying over this planet and the color is popping and you are looking through all these different windows on the floor of your ship and the ceiling so the vertical FOV helps as well. Try that game with the pro vs index you will know for sure which headset is better.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #943 on: December 28, 2019, 02:40:16 pm »
anyone play pistol whip? Finally something good.

Just picked it up. This game is awesome and I think is going to be my new fitness go-to.

I love the fact that it has a dodging element similar to what Holopoint did, but with gunplay instead of bow&arrow.

It's quite the workout. After about 3 songs, I'm already sweating.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #944 on: December 29, 2019, 03:52:08 pm »
The game is pretty good. It pissed me off though it took me like 30 tries just to beat that first “Black Magic” song on hard. I had my brother over one night who does not play VR or games in general and than he beats it on hard his first try. He just kept jumping around and every bullet would just sail past him. Stupid exploit took the wind out of my sail for that game.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #945 on: December 29, 2019, 04:11:40 pm »
Looks like its computer upgrade time. I usually build a new computer every 4 years anyway and that time just hit this december. Than Gamer Nexus just posted this video all about your upgrade path if you are still running an i5-6600k which is what I have.

What is crazy is he was reporting something like a 43% increase in game frame rate when you go to something like a 17-9700k. WTF! I new cpu played a part in frame rates but I always thought it was like it was a 5% to 8% increase; basically the cpu just keeps handing its work to the GPU and you get the frame increase on a more effective work hander offer. This is coming across as the CPU does more like half the job. Will see how much better VR can get,  just ordered an 17-9700k and a new Gigabyte Motherboard to accompany it.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #946 on: January 31, 2020, 12:20:24 am »
Holly sh*t, Walking Dead Saints and Sinners! I can say now with this game combined with the index we have officially stepped into VR 2.0. This is some real immersive next level VR game design. The graphics, the amount of detail while walking through a destroyed dead infected neighborhoods is insane. This is not  an arcade killing waves of zombies games, it is more of a slow survival game with quest. Only problem is I get sick with free locomotion and of course that is the only way you can move.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #947 on: January 31, 2020, 10:17:39 am »
Can I have your old computer?  Does it play Gauntlet Legends 100%?

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #948 on: February 02, 2020, 12:38:46 pm »
Holly sh*t, Walking Dead Saints and Sinners! I can say now with this game combined with the index we have officially stepped into VR 2.0. This is some real immersive next level VR game design. The graphics, the amount of detail while walking through a destroyed dead infected neighborhoods is insane. This is not  an arcade killing waves of zombies games, it is more of a slow survival game with quest. Only problem is I get sick with free locomotion and of course that is the only way you can move.

Especially impressive is that the main campaign reportedly has a game length of 15 to 20 hours.

I'll probably have to pick this one up soon.

edited to add:

Bought it today. Really love the production quality, but I just cannot get over the fact there is no physical crouch. Having the entire game world move when I lean over to look at something is incredibly jarring. I'm going to hold off playing this until it's patched accordingly.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 04:15:26 am by shponglefan »

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #949 on: February 02, 2020, 11:47:06 pm »
Not sure why they are keeping your head at eye level unless you crouch. I assume it is based around the game play, maybe crouch is a sneak movement speed but hard to attack and you have to fight everything else standing up straight.

No one thinks this is a great game the first time you play it, in fact it is kind of slow and sucks. It takes a few before you can fully start to appreciate just how epic it gets.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #950 on: February 03, 2020, 05:57:27 pm »
Not sure why they are keeping your head at eye level unless you crouch. I assume it is based around the game play, maybe crouch is a sneak movement speed but hard to attack and you have to fight everything else standing up straight.

Even if there is a gameplay impact, surely they could implement that with physical crouch. It's just a baffling design decision to me. I can't even think of any other made-for-VR game that does that.

No one thinks this is a great game the first time you play it, in fact it is kind of slow and sucks. It takes a few before you can fully start to appreciate just how epic it gets.

Oh, I think it's pretty good from the half hour I played. The physics took some getting used to, but the atmosphere was bang-on and the environments are great. I was positively terrified walking through the first section of the cemetery.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #951 on: February 03, 2020, 08:24:10 pm »
I thought the cemetery kind of sucked. To much of a maze level design, also it was night and the index makes black levels look like ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---/washed out. The first mission to repair your radio; you are walking through town going down allies and into backyards, than you have to go inside some mansion, and you are looking through everything to loot for scraps. This game is like Grand Theft Auto 5 graphics and detail for VR.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #952 on: February 04, 2020, 10:13:10 pm »
I've been playing on the Pro, so black levels haven't looked too bad.

They also just patched the game with physical crouch enabled by default. It feels *much* better to play the game now. Just being able to naturally reach down to pick things up or duck under obstacles is far more immersive.

I've made it so far as the blue mansion and completed the quest to kill the woman's undead husband. Going through the house was terrifying; I cannot get use to creepy houses in VR. Then trying to climb down from the second story window I managed to drop my gun onto the ground below just as two walkers came running in from the street. It was one of those "oh ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---" moments, like something out of a movie.

VR is amazing.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #953 on: February 04, 2020, 11:08:58 pm »
I was just about to say I was playing tonight and I found the option for free head movement, why that was not set as default? Very weird.

Ya  had to do that mission 3 times. It appears the game will only save when you go back to your bus and fall asleep, which will also put you in the next day. Every time a day passes it looks like it gets harder.

The third time I did that mission I just climbed up that drain pipe, killed the guy in the attic, grabbed his double barrel shotgun and ring, went to the next room over grabbed the radio mic; went down stairs and went outside through the kitchen, ran down the block and gave the ring to that woman and she gave me that safe lock combo, went back to the bus, crafted some new tools and fell asleep to save the game. It only took like 10 minutes.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 11:14:32 pm by fallacy »

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #954 on: February 06, 2020, 05:42:18 am »
The game only saves when you sleep?  Dang, I quit right after completing returning the ring. I figured the game would at least save upon quest completions since that feels like a natural stopping point.

Oh well, I guess I'll just repeat it if that's the case. 

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
« Reply #955 on: February 15, 2020, 11:42:35 am »
Anybody tried Project Stardust?  http://saltyhash.org/2019/12/13/project-stardust-update/  Free download.

It's a fan made VR version of the Star Wars arcade game with all new graphics (it's not vector) and some changed game play.  Levels pretty much follow the arcade game.  Controls are kinda wonky but it is nice that it works with just the VR controllers.  I tried with the HTC Vive.  Should work with anything that works on the SteamVR API.  It's a beta so still buggy.  I don't seem to have any control on the trench run level at all.  Neat project that's free to try out.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #956 on: March 23, 2020, 04:17:05 pm »
Happy Half-Life: Alyx day!  :woot

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
« Reply #957 on: March 23, 2020, 06:55:31 pm »
Happy Half-Life: Alyx day!  :woot

Just got to try it bit.  Holey immersive Batman!  I picked up the Index controllers that came with a free copy.  I was kind of on the fence on these Index controllers.  Trying to get used to them this past week.  But this game really shows off their potential.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #958 on: March 23, 2020, 09:39:31 pm »
OMFG the graphics, it looks like we will be entering the matrix a lot sooner than anticipated; but also its Valve so we won't get another game that looks this good from any other company for at least 5 years.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #959 on: March 23, 2020, 10:29:52 pm »
Teleport movement?

:'(