Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing  (Read 230157 times)

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing
« Reply #720 on: February 21, 2018, 10:44:40 am »
It's interesting that MS and Sony are taking more of a virtual approach and Nintendo is taking a real approach to augmented reality.  Check out some of the new footage of the Labo robot kit.... I think the level of immersion is more impressive than it appears at first glance... it's silly, but still...

If wearing a cardboard box while staring at a 7" screen is "augmented reality", I never again want to hear anyone complain that MS's Mixed Reality moniker is a misnomer.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #721 on: February 21, 2018, 11:19:10 am »
Mortal Kombat XL, while also being a surprisingly fun game, looks amazing in VR cinema mode.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #722 on: February 21, 2018, 02:50:48 pm »
It's interesting that MS and Sony are taking more of a virtual approach and Nintendo is taking a real approach to augmented reality.  Check out some of the new footage of the Labo robot kit.... I think the level of immersion is more impressive than it appears at first glance... it's silly, but still...

If wearing a cardboard box while staring at a 7" screen is "augmented reality", I never again want to hear anyone complain that MS's Mixed Reality moniker is a misnomer.

First off, get off your high horse, the labo stuff is fun,, unlike some of the other over-priced cluster ---smurfs--- that have tried to enter the market.  Remember the OR treadmill?  That was pretty laughable.  Secondly what are you talking about?  The robot game is fullscreen.  You need to read/watch some reviews of the product to understand what I am talking about. 

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #723 on: February 21, 2018, 03:12:08 pm »
You need to read/watch some reviews of the product to understand what I am talking about.

Full-screen or not, that isn't this:

Code: [Select]
aug·men·ted re·al·i·ty
noun
a technology that superimposes a computer-generated image on a user's view of the real world, thus providing a composite view.

*edit*  BTW, the Kinect did the same thing, without cardboard and strings.  But it still wasn't augmented reality.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:15:21 pm by RandyT »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #724 on: February 21, 2018, 03:44:19 pm »
It is, that definition is very narrow, but I won't argue with you. 

The Kinect DIDN'T do the same thing because the Kinect didn't track well on xbox consoles and was horrible.  There's a reason it has been wiped from existence. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #725 on: February 21, 2018, 04:09:36 pm »
Eh, I'm willing to give the cardboard boxes a shot before casting judgement.  Don't really see the point in carrying water for a multi-billion dollar multi-national company but you do do.

:cheers:

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #726 on: February 21, 2018, 04:29:55 pm »
It is, that definition is very narrow, but I won't argue with you.

I think you already did.   

The Kinect DIDN'T do the same thing because the Kinect didn't track well on xbox consoles and was horrible.  There's a reason it has been wiped from existence.

Some of the technology used in the Kinect does still exist, and is being used in the WMR platform.  If I were to guess which portion, it would be the IK algorithms which help it to track the controllers outside of the camera view.  The unit itself was very likely discontinued for a couple of reasons.  1) People just weren't all that excited about controlling flat games with motion.  It was considerably better than the Wii, but lacked physical buttons like the PSMOVE, which was also quite good.  Regardless, none of those attempts held on as a gaming staple, although the PSMOVE has received a new lease on life with PSVR.  I expect it to be temporary though.  2) It is about to be superseded by the WMR headsets, which deliver far more varied and compelling experiences, and therefore the Kinect simply no longer has a place in the market.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #727 on: February 22, 2018, 11:45:18 pm »
Also - the Star Wars Battlefront game that came out 2 years ago and is $5 used has a fun single player VR mission.

Thanks for heads-up.  I haven't played Battlefront for a while and didn't know they snuck it in there.  I think they did a great job with it, and I'd like to see more as well.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #728 on: February 23, 2018, 12:02:52 am »
Swear to god I got a half chub during that Star Wars mission.

So, there’s a trick to get 2 days of Playstation Plus - go to settings, go to the save game storage, select online storage, and you can get a 2 day trial. 

I usually opt for physical, but swapping discs is a pain when helmeted.

PSN discount in hand, I picked up the following....

Statik
I Expect You to Die
Driveclub VR
Apollo 11
Until Dawn Rush of Blood
PS VR Worlds
Crystal Rift (looks kinda basic but eh $4)

That all hopefully keeps me busy until Skyrim VR goes on clearance.

Statik pretty damn amazing.  Did the ocean game and paddle ball on VR Worlds.  Both very nicely done.  I wish they had an endless mode on the coral reef level, would make it very easy to flop into a comfortable chair, turn that level on, and forget how much I hate my life.

:cheers:

mimic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:58:45 pm
« Reply #729 on: February 23, 2018, 07:58:30 pm »
I've got a question to those that had the VR HMD for awhile now. Did the stereoscopic effect diminished for you with time? Because I don't get the same 3D wow like I used to in the beginning. I mean I still can see things from every direction, but now I have more of a looking at a big screen feeling, rather than that really pronounced 3D effect like I had in the beginning, the 3D was just more noticeable then.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #730 on: February 24, 2018, 12:33:02 am »
I'll have to answer this with a question.  IRL, do you look at your surroundings and remark how three-dimensional things seem to you, or do you just accept them as part of your reality?

I think what you are experiencing is your brain settling in to the notion that your VR experiences are approaching par with your perception of your natural surroundings.  You are no longer astonished that's it's possible, so the subtleties become less apparent to you.

Play only pancake games for a week and then go back to VR.  I suspect that you'll see things differently then.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 11:35:49 am by RandyT »

shponglefan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #731 on: February 24, 2018, 08:44:02 pm »
I've got a question to those that had the VR HMD for awhile now. Did the stereoscopic effect diminished for you with time? Because I don't get the same 3D wow like I used to in the beginning. I mean I still can see things from every direction, but now I have more of a looking at a big screen feeling, rather than that really pronounced 3D effect like I had in the beginning, the 3D was just more noticeable then.

For myself, the 3D effect hasn't diminished.  Other effects have though.  For example, artificial movement used to really trip me out in VR.  My first few times playing Hover Junkers, I "felt" the sensation of movement flying around in the hover ships.  But over time, I got used to it and now artificial motion has no effect on me any more.

I imagine everyone is wired a little differently and will adapt differently to VR.

mimic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:58:45 pm
« Reply #732 on: February 27, 2018, 11:10:25 pm »
I think what you are experiencing is your brain settling in to the notion that your VR experiences are approaching par with your perception of your natural surroundings.  You are no longer astonished that's it's possible, so the subtleties become less apparent to you.

Play only pancake games for a week and then go back to VR.  I suspect that you'll see things differently then.

You're probably right, although some games seem to have stronger 3D effect than others. It's like some of them have "inside the box" effect. I can only compare to 3D movie theater, when everything seem to be past the movie screen, rather than outside too)

For myself, the 3D effect hasn't diminished.  Other effects have though.  For example, artificial movement used to really trip me out in VR.  My first few times playing Hover Junkers, I "felt" the sensation of movement flying around in the hover ships.  But over time, I got used to it and now artificial motion has no effect on me any more.

I imagine everyone is wired a little differently and will adapt differently to VR.

Yeah, that for sure, I got way more used to it now. I remember when I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend that much $ on the Oculus Rift so I went to Best Buy for a demo and asked them to let me try The Climb, it was cool, but I wasn't super impressed and I noticed SDE right away, but it all changed the moment I asked the demo guy if I can let go off the cliff. The sensation of falling down was out of this world! It raised my hair on my legs and arms, and that's when I knew this is different that anything else I've ever tried!

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #733 on: February 27, 2018, 11:27:07 pm »
I really wish Disney would release Captain EO, Not just release it but create a VR recreation of the theater room; with the Vive pro and the new headphones that would be so amazing. It would be like having Disney multi million dollar ride in your own home. Kids would flip out, you would be like that was the first 3d film we saw in the 80’s

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #734 on: February 28, 2018, 01:26:24 pm »
Looks like they are finally releasing the wireless for the vive and vive pro.. due out the end of summer. 

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #735 on: February 28, 2018, 01:33:52 pm »
 Still no announcements on prices yet for either the Pro or wireless... Wondering if this means they'll cost only one kidney or two. :/

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #736 on: February 28, 2018, 02:02:00 pm »
Still no announcements on prices yet for either the Pro or wireless... Wondering if this means they'll cost only one kidney or two. :/
I saw one price of $799 for the pro, but that would be for the whole thing, not just the HMD, and still nothing on the wireless setup. 

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #737 on: February 28, 2018, 02:24:17 pm »
I saw one price of $799 for the pro, but that would be for the whole thing, not just the HMD, and still nothing on the wireless setup.

The $799 was just a rumor (there's been a few floating around the past month).  Nothing is official yet AFAIK.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #738 on: March 05, 2018, 02:34:45 pm »
Picked up SubNautica to try it out this weekend.  Got nauseous after about 6 minutes of play and had to take off the HMD to keep from throwing up.  Worse than being on a cruise ship, lol.  It was interesting while playing.  The cursor for selecting things is based on where you are looking, which is why it made me sick so fast.  I will probably play the game in regular desktop mode but not in VR any more.  The VR mode is still more or less beta.

I have to add that any game that makes me watch closely for items and arrow over them to see what they are (like Fallout 4) make me sick after a short time even on a regular screen, so this just added in a lot of head movement to zero in on what I was trying to click, along with my FOV moving in slightly unnatural ways compared to what my body was feeling and the combination just did me in. 

Most games I have played don't give me motion sickness any worse than a regular display does.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #739 on: March 14, 2018, 11:37:48 am »
Couple exciting releases coming up for PCVR shortly:

Bethesda just announced Skyrim VR: https://bethesda.net/en/article/4YSRrlXtpuKeWIK6EMiG84/skyrim-vr-comes-to-steamvr   It's apparently landing on the PC on April 3.

There's also Apex Construct which looks like a quality title (if the initial reviews are anything to go by), coming to PC VR on March 20th: http://store.steampowered.com/app/694090/Apex_Construct/

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #740 on: March 14, 2018, 01:56:57 pm »
Not sure if its been mentioned previous but I saw a cool looking game the other day called Sparc.

Its a tron-esq looking ball throwing game.

Not played it but it looks decent.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #741 on: March 15, 2018, 11:33:06 pm »
Finally got some more time in on my PSVR.  Crystal Rift is a clunker but I’m enjoying it.  Star Wars VR mission in Battlefront is still enjoyable the 4th time through.

London Heist.  My god, it may be the most immersive video game experience I’ve ever had.  I lost my damn mind when I picked up a cigar, lit it, and smoked it in that game.  You could even hold in the smoke.  It played like a really, really good Virtua Cop.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #742 on: March 16, 2018, 04:08:14 am »
Finally got some more time in on my PSVR.  Crystal Rift is a clunker but I’m enjoying it.  Star Wars VR mission in Battlefront is still enjoyable the 4th time through.

London Heist.  My god, it may be the most immersive video game experience I’ve ever had.  I lost my damn mind when I picked up a cigar, lit it, and smoked it in that game.  You could even hold in the smoke.  It played like a really, really good Virtua Cop.

London heist heh?
I need to look that up.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #743 on: March 16, 2018, 10:12:36 am »
It's one of the 'experiences' in VR Worlds.  Shockingly violent and vulgar in comparison to the "float with the sea turtles" alternatives.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:04:24 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #744 on: March 16, 2018, 10:25:06 am »
It's one of the 'experiences' in VR Worlds.  Shockingly violent and vulgar in comparison to the "float with the sea turtles" alternatives.

I thought that Shark one was pretty cool too. The Heist was cool, hand tracking wasn't that bad as long as you have it all setup right.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #745 on: March 17, 2018, 12:21:34 am »
aw man I just stumbled across this video and could not believe it!

VOX Machinae  had a small demo for the DK2 going on 4 years ago now; I thought it felt like the best MEC game I played since Mec warrior 3 and it was in VR. I thought the game had been abandoned, they hardly update there website but Nope! looks like they put alot more work into it and they now you can sign up for play test on there website (I signed up so fast) I can tell this game is going to be one of the greats. This is going to be a game that will make you want to build a VR MEC cockpit with some ruble pads and well placed joysticks.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #746 on: March 17, 2018, 04:42:57 am »

Ahhh.

I have the experiences disk and never used it lol

I really should...

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #747 on: March 19, 2018, 01:14:27 pm »
They really are going to sell the Pro for $800 by its self. Makes me a bit mad because I know in no time maybe even the second batch it will be around $600 with the new base stations and the controllers. Clearly they are just going to see how many of the already owners of the Vive they can get to pay for this… I might actually have to just wait, it sucks but what can you do. If they said this was going to be the price for the next year and a half than that would be one thing but there is no way.

https://www.vive.com/us/vive-pro-vr/?utm_medium=US_Social&utm_source=Facebook&utm_campaign=US_PRO_Retargeting&utm_content=US_PRO_PreOwner_VidAudio

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #748 on: March 19, 2018, 02:38:14 pm »
They really are going to sell the Pro for $800 by its self. Makes me a bit mad because I know in no time maybe even the second batch it will be around $600 with the new base stations and the controllers. Clearly they are just going to see how many of the already owners of the Vive they can get to pay for this… I might actually have to just wait, it sucks but what can you do. If they said this was going to be the price for the next year and a half than that would be one thing but there is no way.

https://www.vive.com/us/vive-pro-vr/?utm_medium=US_Social&utm_source=Facebook&utm_campaign=US_PRO_Retargeting&utm_content=US_PRO_PreOwner_VidAudio
Yeah, $800 for JUST the headset.  I was hoping it would be under $500 with the entire kit with lighthouses and controllers at $800-900.

I might just wait for the wireless before I pull the trigger.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #749 on: March 19, 2018, 02:40:04 pm »
So, VR Porn.  Worth messing with?  I have some app on my PS4 that lets you sideload videos.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #750 on: March 19, 2018, 03:04:24 pm »
VR porn has been getting pretty good lately. It used to be they looked a lot larger than they should the video quality varied widely sometimes it had bad antialiasing, sometimes you could almost count the pixels that made up there face when they sat 5 feet away from you, but now as the cameras have gotten better they are the right size. Not sure if the compression changed but a lot of the new videos there is a lot of detail. I have a few videos that are so good and the chicks are so hot that it actually brought up the case for me if there will be a time when girl friends can actually be swapped out for tec in the near futchure. Some of these videos feel like you are in a strip club(being that you cant touch) Except with VR there is much better lighting and the girls they get are alot hotter.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #751 on: March 19, 2018, 04:37:36 pm »
Apparently in Houston you can touch.  Having a tit shoved in your mouth unexpectedly is simultaneously horrifying and enjoyable.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #752 on: March 19, 2018, 04:54:15 pm »
Apparently in Houston you can touch.  Having a tit shoved in your mouth unexpectedly is simultaneously horrifying and enjoyable.

VR porn....

Yeah not sure ide want to experience that without knowing what was going to happen.

One min you got a nice boob, next you are being slapped round the face with a giant cock!!!

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #753 on: March 19, 2018, 06:16:59 pm »
Admittedly I haven't tried any VR porn videos newer than a couple years old, but VR porn has this weird "uncanny valley" vibe to me.

I mean, you're staring down at some other dude's body and dick, and if they happen to move or make any noises, it's just really weird.  Like you're having sex with a chick with another dude breathing in your ear.

Then there's the fact that things can look disproportionate and some of the porn stars are gross when viewed close-up.

Add in having to fire up the VR headset in the first place and the whole thing is more trouble than its worth.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 08:56:52 pm by shponglefan »

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #754 on: March 19, 2018, 06:57:30 pm »
I kind of felt that way about VR porn a few years ago, not really worth it but just a novelty; funny they always say when porn gets a hold of a tec that’s when it really takes off and VR porn has been and still is some of the best 180 and 360 video filmed for VR. Like I said the video has changed maybe in the last 6 months and it has now become worth it if you can find the girls you like, there are a lot more choices now as well. There are about 8 main sites I personally just pirate them all I spent $100 bucks for a 4tb drive dedicated to all those 13GB files.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #755 on: March 19, 2018, 07:28:28 pm »
^ this man porns

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #756 on: March 19, 2018, 07:50:51 pm »
Got to do something while you watch your crypto currency rise and fall.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #757 on: March 20, 2018, 02:44:46 am »
Maybe ime not as much of a sexual deviant as I thought

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #758 on: March 31, 2018, 09:59:30 am »
Any of you PSVR owners play the WipEout Omega Collection? I am hearing reports that it is the best VR game ever made. Am I going to have to buy a playstation and a PSVR for this?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #759 on: March 31, 2018, 10:12:45 am »
Waiting for a price drop on that one.