Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing  (Read 230060 times)

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing
« Reply #680 on: January 22, 2018, 01:16:42 pm »
And look at the whole story with Nintendo - for a long time specs didn't matter, but I don't even see Nintendo on the store shelves any more, only PS and XBOX.  Is it possible that by not trying to compete on the cutting edge that people lost interest?

The Switch is the fastest selling console in US history over its first 10 months. The record holder before that for first year sales was the Wii.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 01:18:31 pm by Mike A »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #681 on: January 22, 2018, 01:32:24 pm »
So Nintendo claims.  I'm in disbelief.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #682 on: January 22, 2018, 01:48:11 pm »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #683 on: January 22, 2018, 02:35:22 pm »
You shouldn't be.  It's an extremely innovative idea, it seems educational, so parents and teachers will like it, ect.  Nintendo knows what they are doing.  When you think Nintendo doesn't know what they are doing, rest assured, it's just that you don't understand it. 

Their consoles rarely sell poorly and that is mainly due to the fact that their games are great.   Consistency in quality is what makes a loyal customer base, not tech specs.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #684 on: January 22, 2018, 03:08:10 pm »
The sad thing is that it seems to be marketed as much toward adults as children.

But seriously, when you start making stuff out of cardboard, your barrel is empty.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #685 on: January 22, 2018, 03:18:51 pm »
The ravenous demand for Nintendo stuff seems to indicate otherwise.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #686 on: January 22, 2018, 04:06:08 pm »
The ravenous demand for Nintendo stuff a good portable gaming system seems to indicate otherwise.

Fixt.

Nintendo struck a chord and delivered a very nice platform for mobile gaming.  Their only competition in that field are the poorly thought out Android-based systems from China, which are far less than optimal.    Much of the demand, outside of the usual fans, is from those who already have a real gaming console (or PC) and want something to do while visiting grandma, instead of listening to her complain about her rose bushes :).  But the cardboard stuff seems like a cynical attempt to cater to "maker" culture, and bring those PS4 and XBOX bound 20-somethings into the fold. 

Also, referring to this device as a "console" is wearing at me. To consider this a "console" would be to also consider a laptop with a dock to be a desktop.  I'm not quite prepared to give up my historical understanding of proper terminology to satisfy someone's marketing aspirations.  If they were serious about this aspect, there would be usable horsepower, memory and a hard drive in the cradle, and the games made to scale to either experience, instead of simply a wire management solution.  But I digress :).

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #687 on: January 22, 2018, 04:18:51 pm »
 ::)

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #688 on: January 22, 2018, 04:39:45 pm »
And look at the whole story with Nintendo - for a long time specs didn't matter, but I don't even see Nintendo on the store shelves any more, only PS and XBOX.  Is it possible that by not trying to compete on the cutting edge that people lost interest?

The Switch is the fastest selling console in US history over its first 10 months. The record holder before that for first year sales was the Wii.
Is it considered a console?  I mean, you can hook it to your TV, but I can hook my phone or tablet to my TV and play games too.  Heck, for that matter I can game just as good on my Shield TV, yet none of those are considered game consoles.  I was under the impression this was a portable game device, not a console.  And do they sell games in stores or is it only online?  I see xbox and ps games on shelves all the time, nothing Nintendo any more.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #689 on: January 22, 2018, 04:49:30 pm »

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #690 on: January 22, 2018, 05:24:18 pm »
Switch: Tegra SOC, integrated display, integrated controls, flash based storage, and powered by an internal battery.
Shield Tablet: Tegra SOC, integrated display, integrated controls, flash based storage, and powered by an internal battery.
PS4: x86-64 bit cpu, desktop based GPU, no integrated display, no integrated controls, standard HDD storage, requires AC power and external display.
xbox:  x86-64 bit cpu, desktop based GPU, no integrated display, no integrated controls, standard HDD storage, requires AC power and external display.

Clearly the Switch is a console.

But then it wouldn't be good to tell investors that you outsold the NVidia Shield tablet, sounds way better to say you outsold the xbox and ps4.  What's next, is Samsung going to start comparing sales of their Galaxy phone against Dell computers?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #691 on: January 22, 2018, 05:50:45 pm »

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #692 on: January 22, 2018, 06:23:43 pm »
I love it when someone does a comparison between the performance of a PS4 (or XBOX) and the Switch.  When the obvious comments roll out from detractors about low frame rates, resolution, texture detail, etc, without fail the response from proponents is "can you play PS4 on the toilet?" or  "what do you expect from a handheld?"  Both are accurate and fine responses.  But, those same individuals have no problem with comparing sales figures with those more capable devices, and declaring sell-through superiority in a class of devices of which it is clearly not a part.

Fans of the device would better serve their cause by accepting that Nintendo made the best, currently-available portable gaming system, which allows gamers to play reasonably good versions of their favorite console games on-the-go, as well as the sought-after 1st party games specifically designed to excel within its capabilities.  Pitting it against the consoles is unfair for both sides of the discussion.

VR is already a growing part of this generation of consoles, and is likely to be a much larger part of the next one.  When both of the big console players are doing VR, I get a feeling that consumers will find the current co-option of the nomenclature to be less palatable.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #693 on: January 22, 2018, 11:21:41 pm »
Yeah, I agree with you on the VR front.  If that technology keeps improving at the $200 price point, it’s definitely going to be a factor in my future console purchases.  As in, no vr = no sale.

On the other hand, it might fizzle out.  Been a fun ride, though.  I spent $300 just to play Wii Sports.  That was worth it, too.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #694 on: January 23, 2018, 12:53:26 am »
Like I keep saying VR will never catch on in a main stream level, at least not anytime soon.  That doesn't mean we can't have fun with it though.  Remember, we aren't normal consumers.... normal consumers don't buy arcade cabinets or 300 dollar racing wheels just for a better play experience.  Like pbj says, just enjoy it in the moment.  It's only chance would be if Nintendo did VR, because you know they go all in on everything, which makes a difference.  If Sony would commit to their headsets a bit more I think it would stand a chance as well.

For the record, the switch is absolutely a console.  Mind you I'm quite annoyed with it's portable centric design, but like I keep saying a million times but nobody seems to listen, tech specs are irrelevant.  The new doom, which is a modern AAA title, can be played on the xbox one, the ps4 and the switch.  Yes the switch version is slightly worse graphically, but you know what... it's comparable.  I was actually pretty amazed when I saw the side by side.  When you can take a graphically impressive AAA title that's on one console, compare it to another and they look more or less the same... they are both on the same level.  Now if the difference in visual quality and experience was like the snes vs the Gameboy back in the day you might have a point, but they are pretty close. 

Honestly these "obvious" differences you keep talking about are pretty minor.  You sound like one of those graphics snobs that complain when a game is only rendering at 900p instead of 1080p

Here's a random video I just googled because I couldn't find the one I watched originally.  Not sure about the quality, but I watched for a few seconds and it makes my point.

! No longer available

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #695 on: January 23, 2018, 02:13:47 am »
It is literally an analogue for the "SNES vs Gameboy" (ok, maybe "GameGear vs Genesis" would be more apt), only by today's standards.  I'm not a graphics snob, but a game like DOOM is all about those amazing visuals.  Otherwise, it's just another FPS.  I just expect something which is to be connected to my 8 year old 1080p television to have the decency to use it to it's fullest potential.  After viewing the comparison on that very same set, it's not an exaggeration to state that the Switch version looks like a very poorly upscaled DVD.   Hell, with everything going to 4K now, I'M the troglodyte because I couldn't care less to upgrade.  I even play PC games locked to 1080p / 60fps on a system capable of much more

No one, given the option for any platform, would elect to play DOOM on the Switch at home on their TV.  That doesn't make them a graphics snob, it just makes them normal.

DOOM is a miraculous port, which speaks as much positive of Bethesda (Panic Button) as it does of the negatives of the hardware base they had to work with.  But huge sacrifices were made to do it.  Anyone curious enough to read an analysis of how they managed this feat, can check it out here.

And I seriously disagree with your statements about VR, especially as related to "N" being its only possible savior.  VR is riding the razors edge of technology and has huge computing horsepower requirements.  Based on N's history, including their most recent offerings, it's far fetched to imagine.  The only reason it isn't better than it is (and the new crop is very good), is because improving it requires tech which hasn't yet been invented. But its popularity will continue to grow and if anything kicks it into the mainstream, it will be MS and Sony.  It's already happening. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:21:04 am by RandyT »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #696 on: January 23, 2018, 02:57:13 am »
I agree with Randy, Nintendo will not be bringing VR to the mainstream.

They may release a cheap “decent” version of it next gen but I think Sony and MS as well as PC devs will be leading the full on charge.

The point you make about us is kind of valid but not in the way you think.

As you say we are extreme gamers, complete with cabinets and a love and appreciation of all levels of gaming history.

That makes us the tuff sell!

Look how many converts there are in here that went from sceptic to “yeah I see the future in this”.

VR is the way forward, Its not the end game by far but its defo a vehicle to get there!

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #697 on: January 23, 2018, 10:47:04 am »
I can't even see Nintendo being set up to start playing with VR.  Their most powerful system barely has a teraflop of GPU capability, and VR is all about graphics processing power.  As Randy said, the reason VR isn't better is because it requires tech that isn't invented yet, and here Nintendo is using 4 year old technology in their flagship product.  If they do a VR set, it will be so low resolution that cardboard VR will seem leaps and bounds ahead of them.  If any consoles will take it to the mainstream it will definitely be MS or Sony.

Remember, we aren't normal consumers.... normal consumers don't buy arcade cabinets or 300 dollar racing wheels just for a better play experience.
Yet you just bragged about how the $300 switch is the best selling mainstream game system of all time, so obviously the mainstream is not hesitant when it comes to dropping $300 on a game device.  People line up for days to be the first to spend a thousand on a new phone ffs.  I think you are projecting your view of how people spend money onto the general public.  I see it very different.

I see parents today buying technology for their kids like it's some kind of competition with the Joneses next door.  I see 8 year olds with better phones than I have, and toddlers with tablets laying next to them in the stroller.  Every little thing is a special occasion and after they already bought their kid a phone and a tablet and a computer and a game console, they need something else to keep their child occupied, and a few hundred dollars is the norm.  More than that and they either can't or won't swing it, and less than that and they are going to fall behind what the other parents are buying.  And these kids are growing up to buy $5 coffees for breakfast every day and standing in line to buy $1000 Apple phones or skipping college classes to be in line to get a new Switch so they have something to do when they retreat to their safe place.

You are right that they won't spend $300 on a steering wheel, because they are already spending it on way more advanced gadgets.  Steering wheels are too 80's, their kids want handheld devices with screens and batteries and wifi, or special cameras and wands, or plastic guitars and drums.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #699 on: January 23, 2018, 12:16:59 pm »
Ah, another doom and gloom in store for Apple article.  Been seeing those daily for 10+ years.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #700 on: January 23, 2018, 12:45:36 pm »
Ah, another doom and gloom in store for Apple article.  Been seeing those daily for 10+ years.

No, not for Apple per se, but for people spending $1000 on phones
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #701 on: January 29, 2018, 04:34:12 pm »
Update: finally got a chance to try the PSVR I picked up.  Keep in mind I'm playing this on a PS4Pro

- Picked up a PSVR recently that included Skyrim VR
- Traded Skyrim VR towards Farpoint bundle (game with AIM controller)
- Farpoint with the AIM controller is fantastic, just awesome
- Wish I’d kept skyrim though as I now want it and even used it’s $70CND
- I also bought a few digital games, VR Worlds is more experience/demo than game but it's very polished. The shark encounter is very effective, the London Heist job (or whatever it's called) works very well too. Dick Wild is pretty good as a duck hunt type of game, works great with the aim controller too.

Overall and comparison to PC high end VR headsets: 
Negative:  The PSVR has worst tracking compared to PC VR like Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.  I think because I have RIFT/VIVE, it feels worse than if I was ignorant of these headsets (ie: ignorance is bliss).  The resolution of most games are much lower than the PC equivalent; for those familiar with the PC headsets, if you've played any unreal games at their default low res blurry level, you'd know what I mean.  The FOV is also smaller than the PC VR I’ve tried, though it is serviceable

Positive:  ... however the headset is really easy to put on.  As well, the panels have very small pixels and the SDE (the black between the pixels) and lesser than expected so in essence, although low res the games in a way look really good!  The POV is smaller but the sweet spot is actually very good and it's an intersting debate this "fresnel lens vs non fresnel".  IE: Fresnel means you get more of things "rings" and "God Rays" which just aren't there on the PSVR.  The ergonomics are also just plain better though not league better than the Vive with the Deluxe Audio Strap upgrade.

I’m glad I have the PS4Pro as I understand it does some oversampling to improve the graphics.  Overall, a thumbs up, glad I got it but it also makes me wish the PS4 plus were part of the PC experience. There is no perfect VR headset right now but I sure hope we keep progressing towards a merger of these two for the second gen (which appears in some form outside of the use of fresnel lenses, this is what we are getting with Vive Pro)

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #702 on: January 30, 2018, 12:47:19 am »
(which appears in some form outside of the use of fresnel lenses, this is what we are getting with Vive Pro)

na the vive pro is pretty much just the vive/plus audio strap with with a better resulation screen. Plus a few other small things like a volume control on the headset, noise canceling mic so you don't here other players speakers in multiplayer games and 2 front facing cameras that have not been identified on there use is for yet.

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
« Reply #703 on: January 30, 2018, 03:16:16 am »
It has been reported that the Vive Pro has better comfort than the Vive with DAS.  Of course we will all know for ourselves hopefully soon.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #704 on: January 30, 2018, 10:53:49 am »
Tested says it weighs about the same as the original vive which is the Vives biggest problem is that it weighs to much making it uncomfortable to tray and relax and sit in a chair with it.

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
« Reply #705 on: January 30, 2018, 01:01:08 pm »
Weight is not the problem, weight distribution and ergonomics  are.  You may be shocked with the following however brace yourself:  the PSVR headset weighs MORE than the HTC Vive. 

https://www.roadtovr.com/playstation-vr-weight-psvr-heaviest-best-ergonomics-oculus-rift-htc-vive-weight-comparison/

Take a closer look at the Vive PRO and you will note there are changes to the back of the strap which should assist in balancing out the HMD.  Also weight wise, don't forget HTC released a new SKU of the Vive last year that weighed 15% less. 

Well, the better ergonomics has been some of the comments posted from people who've tried it, various head shapes notwithstanding, I hope it's better anyway

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #706 on: January 30, 2018, 04:13:44 pm »
We will have to see, I can tell the audio strap did not improve the comfort on the vive from the original strap, all it did was add more weight.  The vive pro looks to be the same size and shape as the vive so if that strap on it makes all the difference than why was that one not released for the vive?

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
« Reply #707 on: January 30, 2018, 10:01:42 pm »
It may not have made a difference for you and others but it made a difference for me and many others

I don’t understand your last question but doesn’t matter neither of us knows for sure but we hopefully will soon

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #708 on: February 10, 2018, 11:06:13 pm »
a good bow game has come  "In Death" fairly hard yet so satisfying as you get better. Style reminds me of that 1998 Thief game and like Thief you can use different arrows with different abilities. This is what VR Thief should look like but there is no stealth or room looting or story... or actual missions... :-[

http://store.steampowered.com/app/605450/In_Death/

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #709 on: February 11, 2018, 02:35:12 am »
Arghh I loved Thief!

One of my fave games!

fablog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2024, 10:30:06 pm
« Reply #710 on: February 11, 2018, 11:41:32 am »
Guys I like my new Samsung Odyssey. I bought it used at 320$. A very good price when you know it was originally bought in December by the first owner. So far I love it and clearly it's impossible to explain the feeling with words. I'm so convinced by this technology that I'm sure I will buy the generations to come. One thing I miss is to see my foots ahahah. I'm 40 and was bore by the last year's. I lived the excitement to discover  real improvement every year in the gaming industry since I was a kid. Same thing about Internet. They were the good old days. I feel this excitement with VR, waiting for the next best thing. If I have to bet on a company it will be Microsoft. I think their market strategy is the best to have quickly a lower price and so a better adoption rate. Last thing, I discovered that the cheap Ikea rechargeable AA batteries (Ladda) are the same than Eneloop pro. I'll try them with my controllers.

Envoyé de mon Nexus 4 en utilisant Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 12:07:22 pm by fablog »

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #712 on: February 16, 2018, 09:50:30 pm »
Still playing in In Death a few times every night, you need to check this one out; this is what VR was made for, it is such a gamer game. Hard to describe when a game gets balancing so right, it is either to easy and you see all the patterns or it is cheap hard and unfair. I have never died and thought the game was being cheap I always blame myself which makes it addicting.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #713 on: February 18, 2018, 11:56:16 am »
Still playing in In Death a few times every night, you need to check this one out; this is what VR was made for, it is such a gamer game. Hard to describe when a game gets balancing so right, it is either to easy and you see all the patterns or it is cheap hard and unfair. I have never died and thought the game was being cheap I always blame myself which makes it addicting.

I know what you mean.  I don't know how many times I have become a little too comfortable in the game, and teleported myself right into a "bee's nest" of enemies, and tried to take them all on, instead of doing the sane thing of retreating back to a more reasonable vantage point.

The game has all the qualities of an old-school arcade game.  Easy to learn, difficult to master, ridiculously addictive, no game saves and  immediate action, which lends itself to quick gaming sessions.  The fancy graphics, procedurally generated maps and enemy placement and the great sense of immersion put it over the top. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:15:35 am by RandyT »

mimic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:58:45 pm
« Reply #714 on: February 19, 2018, 10:45:53 am »
PSVR bundle for $199 includes camera and one game https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstation-vr/buy-now/ . One "tiny" problem, SOLD OUT EVERYWHERE! I'm ready to try it out if they will restock it within the 2 weeks!

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #715 on: February 19, 2018, 12:05:27 pm »
PSVR bundle for $199 includes camera and one game https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstation-vr/buy-now/ . One "tiny" problem, SOLD OUT EVERYWHERE! I'm ready to try it out if they will restock it within the 2 weeks!

It's been said before, but Sony really is doing more to bring VR to the mainstream than any of the other players, with the possible exception of MS.  Just like with the video game marketplace, the consoles will be leading the way, with higher end experiences catering to enthusiasts on expensive PCs.  I expect to see some upgraded tracking and controllers from Sony before too long.

VR is at the cusp of the "hump". I think once we start seeing the WMR systems working with the XBOX One X, things will quickly start gaining momentum, and more big developers will take the technology seriously.  Even though it hasn't been publicly stated, I believe that these mid-gen console upgrades have been introduced with VR being a major motivating factor.  The marketing for 4k capabilities gets the consoles adopted at the scale to support mass production.  But I think VR is the true end game for both of the big console makers.   

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #716 on: February 20, 2018, 11:21:07 pm »
Big sale going on for PSVR games right now.  I’m probably buying a one month subscription just to get the discounts.

Also - the Star Wars Battlefront game that came out 2 years ago and is $5 used has a fun single player VR mission.  Biggest cocktease imaginable... I want my damn full on game...  still almost worth the $5 just for the mission, though.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #717 on: February 21, 2018, 01:15:37 am »
It's interesting that MS and Sony are taking more of a virtual approach and Nintendo is taking a real approach to augmented reality.  Check out some of the new footage of the Labo robot kit.... I think the level of immersion is more impressive than it appears at first glance... it's silly, but still... 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #718 on: February 21, 2018, 01:40:43 am »
Ime rather looking forward to the next gen to see how Sony and MS run with it tbh.

Ive not beein this eager to see the next gen since the PSX days....

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #719 on: February 21, 2018, 07:46:41 am »
Check out some of the new footage of the Labo robot kit.... I think the level of immersion is more impressive than it appears at first glance... it's silly, but still...

Christ, how high were the Nintendo designers who came up with that thing?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:21:41 am by shponglefan »