Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing  (Read 230293 times)

fallacy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
Re: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing
« Reply #640 on: January 11, 2018, 07:48:39 pm »
man if that Vive pro launched with the Knuckles and the new tracking boxes it would be like the first launch day of VR all over again. Not sure what this talk about selling the headset separate way before the package, alto of people do not own a vive... I think they should wait for Knuckles is ready before selling and have a full and complete set just like they did for vive 1 that would be the most explosive news for VR.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #641 on: January 11, 2018, 08:39:44 pm »
Sadly no knuckles with the Vive Pro.  Apparently they are going to have an updated version of the Vive wands though (when they release the full kit).

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #642 on: January 11, 2018, 09:28:15 pm »
boooooo just being lazy and making more $ off the early adapters.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #643 on: January 11, 2018, 11:03:21 pm »
Well, there went almost 5 hours of my life.  It’s incredible a system I bought so many years ago is capable of all that.

Still working up the nerve to play Resident Evil.  That space station zombie game demo was already crazy intense.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #644 on: January 12, 2018, 12:46:50 am »
Still working up the nerve to play Resident Evil.

Maybe get some Depends before you try that one  :lol

The whole time I played it, it felt like someone was twisting a butter knife in my gut.   Good stuff!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #645 on: January 12, 2018, 09:52:55 am »
Well, watching a creature in 3D that's chasing you around with the intent to kill you, even though you know it's not real, is quite an experience.  I'll admit I was wrong about this current generation of VR.  Previously, I had only seen the setups with the cameras on tripods and someone walking around an alien planet bored out of their minds on a square waving around wands.  I was in a swivel office chair and there were moments I completely lost myself in the various games.

I imagine these setups will be wireless soon, but I felt like the graphic capabilities were far enough along that the developers can focus on convincing game play.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #646 on: January 12, 2018, 11:40:58 am »
The whole time I played it, it felt like someone was twisting a butter knife in my gut.   Good stuff!

I had a similar feeling playing both Paranormal Activity and Narcosis.  Horror games just have this overly uncomfortable feeling in VR, almost like they are too immersive at times.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #647 on: January 12, 2018, 11:51:06 am »
Well, watching a creature in 3D that's chasing you around with the intent to kill you, even though you know it's not real, is quite an experience.  I'll admit I was wrong about this current generation of VR.  Previously, I had only seen the setups with the cameras on tripods and someone walking around an alien planet bored out of their minds on a square waving around wands.  I was in a swivel office chair and there were moments I completely lost myself in the various games.

I imagine these setups will be wireless soon, but I felt like the graphic capabilities were far enough along that the developers can focus on convincing game play.

Woohoo another convertee :D

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #648 on: January 12, 2018, 11:51:50 am »

TPCast has been available for the Rift/Vive for a little bit now, and HTC has revealed their own wireless solution for release later this year.

I suspect in the next-gen of VR headsets wireless could become the norm.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #649 on: January 12, 2018, 11:52:57 am »
Woohoo another convertee :D

All we need now is Howard to jump on board. ;)

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #650 on: January 12, 2018, 12:40:59 pm »
I think Moss on PS VR Demo Disc 2 was the most mind blowing.  I was on the last puzzle, where you have to spin a tall vertical cylinder around, and I was trying to figure out how it worked.  So I leaned forward and looked around the edge... and saw inside the cylinder.  It was freaking unreal.  Making that mouse run around, with very convincing graphics, caused several moments of disassociation.

Tiny Trax had a similar moment when I looked down and saw my car racing around underwater where my feet should have been.

And the first space zombie attack on The Persistence.  Genuine fear.

Stuff like Thumper and Rez... eh... cool but felt like they'd get old quick.  The Call of Duty Jackal thing was fun.

Youtube VR was pretty neat.  Enjoyed the Bjork Stonemilker video.  A lot of the other stuff got a, "meh, I've been to the Omni theater before" reaction.

Looking forward to those Move controllers arriving....

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #651 on: January 12, 2018, 01:33:52 pm »
Theres a Free PSVR game in the store at the moment btw if you are a PSplus member.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #652 on: January 12, 2018, 02:11:31 pm »
Theres a Free PSVR game in the store at the moment btw if you are a PSplus member.

I've noticed one every month now for a few months.  Hopefully, it's now a "thing"!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #653 on: January 12, 2018, 02:13:20 pm »
Hope so :)

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #654 on: January 13, 2018, 06:38:16 pm »
I can’t  make it 5 minutes in Resident Evil.  I’ve introduced my wife and two friends to the headset and everyone is in shock.  Nobody looks cool playing it, though.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:54:33 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #655 on: January 13, 2018, 07:18:24 pm »
Resident evil is excruciating at first. I played thru the first hour in normal (non vr) mode to get a heads up on the jump scares then restarted it in Vr. Still shook me. Insane experience and not one you can easily describe until you’ve played it.

TLDR: a totally different experience. And one i didn’t expect to grab me like it did.

mimic

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:58:45 pm
« Reply #656 on: January 14, 2018, 07:51:18 pm »
  I’ve introduced my wife and two friends to the headset and everyone is in shock.

Shocked how?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #657 on: January 15, 2018, 01:58:18 am »
  I’ve introduced my wife and two friends to the headset and everyone is in shock.

Shocked how?

Think he means scared lol

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #658 on: January 15, 2018, 02:19:17 am »
Thought you wierdos might get some use out of this. 

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-AH101-D8EY-Windows-Wireless-Controllers/dp/B075PVLN2P/ref=pd_sim_147_1?tag=slickdeals&ascsubtag=516ab4b6f9c311e7aeedeef2e093f6790INT&_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B075PVLN2P&pd_rd_r=RXPBY38275WTNACZD4KW&pd_rd_w=SOrWQ&pd_rd_wg=hLkwD&psc=1&refRID=RXPBY38275WTNACZD4KW

Not top shelf, but 1440 per eye and around 200 bucks, controllers included.  If it gets below 150 I might buy one just for the two or three things a vr headset is actually useful for.  (Vr pinball, racing games, ect.)

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #659 on: January 18, 2018, 11:44:09 am »
Not top shelf, but 1440 per eye and around 200 bucks, controllers included.  If it gets below 150 I might buy one just for the two or three things a vr headset is actually useful for.  (Vr pinball, racing games, ect.)

I'd be surprised if they got that low on a stand-alone sale.  But keep an eye on your local Craigslist.  Lots of computers sold this holiday season with VR headsets included.  Reports are that a lot of them are making their way to CL from the owners selling them to reduce the net cost of the systems.  Word is that the cheap prices on Amazon are private sellers doing this as well,

As for what they are "useful" for, I think you will find a lot of your predisposed notions are flawed, once you actually start using one.  Just don't base everything on an Acer unit if you get one.  It really is the bottom end of the technology at the moment.  While I haven't tried one, the consensus seems to be that the Lenovo is the best of the low-end units.  Also make sure your PC is up to the task before you even consider getting a headset.   

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #660 on: January 18, 2018, 12:37:30 pm »
As for what they are "useful" for, I think you will find a lot of your predisposed notions are flawed, once you actually start using one.

This was my experience as well.  Before getting VR, I figured it would be mostly useful for seated stuff like cockpit games.

After trying it, it opened my eyes to the fact that pretty much every game genre can translate to VR.  I'm still salivating at the prospect of 4x games eventually making their way to VR.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #661 on: January 18, 2018, 10:01:19 pm »
Damn Sony and their “nothing will charge our devices except 1 of the 2 USB ports on the system.”

However, I did indeed get a sealed box set of Sports Champions with a Move controller and ps3 camera for $25 shipped.  Anyone need a ps3 camera?    :lol

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #662 on: January 19, 2018, 04:26:46 am »
Damn Sony and their “nothing will charge our devices except 1 of the 2 USB ports on the system.”

It's a bit of a crapshoot, but if you have one of the higher current android tablet chargers with a USB A female port, these will usually kick them over.  Make sure you use the original cable for the best chance of it working. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #663 on: January 19, 2018, 09:20:26 am »
I've also read that a "charge only" cable with the data pin grounded out will make them charge on anything.  I've got one of those Motorola 'TurboCharge' adapters and it'll do the Dualshocks but not the Moves.

Anyway, got to play with the Move controllers about 10 minutes.  Even more disturbing than before.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #664 on: January 19, 2018, 10:59:31 am »
Now that I have a house again, and a room for an office, I dusted off the Vive and got it set up.  After nearly a year in a box, the wands still had a full charge!  Fired it up and played some space pirate trainer, which has improved a bit in the last year.  The new vive home stuff is pretty cool.  SDE is still annoying as hell and the resolution definitely needs an upgrade, but if I had a wishlist, it would start with wireless at the top, better optics next, and resolution third.  Comfort would probably be fourth, which would include the audio, so the Pro will address two of those items and I will probably waste my money on it, as long as it is under $700.  Hoping for $500 or less.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #665 on: January 19, 2018, 11:20:06 am »
From Other Suns will be free this weekend in a few hours on Oculus store. I here good things, I am sure you can play it on Vive with revive.

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #666 on: January 19, 2018, 12:31:59 pm »
A friend of mine is selling me his PSVR with camera and res evil 7 for a decent price so I guess I didn't have enough with just Rift/Vive lol.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #667 on: January 19, 2018, 02:15:43 pm »
A friend of mine is selling me his PSVR with camera and res evil 7 for a decent price so I guess I didn't have enough with just Rift/Vive lol.

Welcome to the PSVR club!

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #668 on: January 19, 2018, 02:36:38 pm »
welcome to the worse resulation, worse motion controls and only front facing tracking club?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #669 on: January 19, 2018, 04:48:50 pm »
welcome to the worse resulation, worse motion controls and only front facing tracking club?

Wrong on many counts.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:41:33 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #670 on: January 19, 2018, 10:07:27 pm »

Wrong on many counts.

Have you played the Vive yet?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #671 on: January 19, 2018, 11:33:29 pm »
As somebody that doesn't have a dog in this fight let me just say that so long as both headsets are at least serviceably good (they are), tech specs are completely irrelevant.  The cost, ease of use, accessibility and the available software library is what counts.  Seeing as how the PSVR is only 200 bucks, has all of the AAA VR titles that the pc does only running on an inexpensive ps4 and you just plug it in an it works, I'd say the PSVR is probably the clear winner for the time being. 

If you think I'm wrong, just look at the entire history of the gaming industry, Nintendo portables in particular.  They were always the weakest, but because they were usually slightly cheaper and had better games, they've dominated that market since the original Gameboy.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #672 on: January 20, 2018, 01:59:47 am »
Howard gets it.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #673 on: January 20, 2018, 04:24:28 am »
As somebody that doesn't have a dog in this fight let me just say that so long as both headsets are at least serviceably good (they are), tech specs are completely irrelevant.  The cost, ease of use, accessibility and the available software library is what counts.  Seeing as how the PSVR is only 200 bucks, has all of the AAA VR titles that the pc does only running on an inexpensive ps4 and you just plug it in an it works, I'd say the PSVR is probably the clear winner for the time being. 

If you think I'm wrong, just look at the entire history of the gaming industry, Nintendo portables in particular.  They were always the weakest, but because they were usually slightly cheaper and had better games, they've dominated that market since the original Gameboy.

And sadly no not had a chance to play with a vive lol

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #674 on: January 20, 2018, 09:10:47 pm »
Picked it up, will hopefully try it tomorrow.  I flipped res evil 7 for the farpoint bundle, gotta have that AIM controller

From what I understand, sure the resolution of the games are quite low res compared to the PC version, but many who've tried both and the move controllers are certainly substandard, but the comfort of the HMD and the quality optics have many really liking it.  For me, at the end of the day, you know Sony will have some exclusives that I will want to play.

PRice: well Howard you do get it for sure, but the experience is more than $200 for the avg user.  For total value for the VR hardware, the Rift is probably a better "deal". No denying the potential for Sony $$$ will result in the best games and of course their total user base is a win... but right now, Lone Echo, F4VR and several other Rift and Vive games would disagree with that software argument. I guess time will tell.

edited: it's called AIM controller, not the stand "move". Doh!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:00:50 pm by Loafmeister »

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:41:33 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #675 on: January 20, 2018, 09:29:16 pm »
I enjoyed the PSVR, I think its far more comfortable then the Vive. I only played it at the launch so I never got to see Farpoint but looking at the Youtube reviews it seems really detailed.

Having a few friends that started off with the PSVR then trying the Vive only led to them selling and upgrading.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #676 on: January 21, 2018, 09:32:50 am »
I would prob get a vive as well if it was a option for me.

However I no longer have room for a gaming PC, nor do I have the funds for a full setup so I will have to wait until I have a bigger house to experience the PC versions.

But as ive said several times I am more than happy with what the PSVR delivers and its price tag is certainly fair.
Would like to see it a bit cheaper but I can say that about everything!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #677 on: January 21, 2018, 12:02:49 pm »
Thus far, not impressed with the move controllers.  Any particularly good games that use it?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #678 on: January 21, 2018, 01:10:49 pm »
Thus far, not impressed with the move controllers.  Any particularly good games that use it?

Rush of blood aint bad.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #679 on: January 22, 2018, 01:00:23 pm »
"Good Enough" drives the mainstream, and so I agree with Howard that for the mainstream consumer, the hardware just has to be good enough to be fun to play in order for it to sell.  But his statement really only applies to the mainstream, aka the "Casual Gamer".  And it suggests that the only thing that really matters is how well something sells.

There are always people who care enough to want better and will spend the money on it.  The Vive blew me away the first time I used it, but I also immediately wanted a higher resolution, less screen door effect, better framerates, and better optics.  And I am willing to spend money to get it.  I know that in order for there to be a third generation of VR, there has to be a cheap alternative, but that cheap alternative is not for me, so the better specs DO matter.  If they didn't, you wouldn't have PS and XBOX still developing high end consoles because they didn't sell like Nintendo did.  And look at the whole story with Nintendo - for a long time specs didn't matter, but I don't even see Nintendo on the store shelves any more, only PS and XBOX.  Is it possible that by not trying to compete on the cutting edge that people lost interest?

Besides, something has to set the bar or nobody would buy it at $200.  People will drop $200 on PSVR because they want the experience of a Vive or Rift but can't or won't spend the money.  $200 seems cheap in comparison.  If PSVR was the gold standard in VR and the most expensive, it would be too much and people would be waiting for the $100 option. 

And I think the buzz created by the top end devices made people want to try out the PSVR.  There always has to be something that gets people excited and, to put it bluntly, makes people envious.  It's what drives the mainstream to want to spend money on entry level stuff.  The converts here who dipped a toe in with the PSVR would never have done it if a bunch of people weren't raving about the experience of the top end.