Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing  (Read 233445 times)

fallacy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
Re: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing
« Reply #480 on: August 11, 2017, 06:48:05 pm »
Why do you guys keep arguing with Howard on the VR topic, everyone in the world could be using it (which will be the case eventually) and he is still going to say it is a fad gaming accessory that will fail; the guy is just out of touch leave it at that.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #481 on: August 11, 2017, 09:40:48 pm »
Meh. Still ambivalent.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #482 on: August 11, 2017, 10:30:13 pm »
Why do you guys keep arguing with Howard on the VR topic, everyone in the world could be using it (which will be the case eventually) and he is still going to say it is a fad gaming accessory that will fail; the guy is just out of touch leave it at that.

Yeah the guy who predicted the Wii's success, the ouya's failure and various other things long before they were even released is "out of touch".  Sorry man, but I'm seldom wrong about these things.  Wanting something to be successful doesn't make it so.  If that were the case then the Wii U would have sold like hot-cakes. 

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #483 on: August 12, 2017, 12:05:46 am »
Most people derive their opinions based on facts yet you haven't tried high quality VR but have your prediction all tied up in a nice bow? (And you are using words like "hate" again Howard ;)).  Your "proving my point" argument comes off as insincere and uninformed.  Even most who love VR aren't saying there is no room for improvement, nor are we saying there are no obstacles to mass market, there certainly are.  But the core tech is sound and in fact amazing and that's what our informed opinion is based on.  Granted we may be wrong but at least it's based on trying it.

May not be your intention but your comments make you look like a bridge dweller rather than a self-described prognosticator. ;).  Anyway no sense arguing with you, you are allowed your opinion, i still respect you lol, its just surprising as your posts usually seem to be based on facts first and foremost.  All is good but since I love VR, I sure hope you are wrong!

Edit: grammar, spelling and fixing typical mobile posting issues
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:29:54 am by Loafmeister »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #484 on: August 12, 2017, 02:35:05 am »
I think everyone could see the Wii's success and the U's failure.

That one was pretty plain to see!

The thing is much like the Wii, VR has to be tried to be appreciated.

You get no sense of it from watching videos, reviews or watching someone else play.

Its just another game with a thing on ya head until you experience it for yourself.

I know you like your racers Howard so why not try a good VR racer?
Give you a idea of what its like and more importantly the potential it has.

VR wont be going away, it just wont.
Far to much time and money has been invested into it to just let it die.

Will it carry on in gaming the way it is at the moment? Probably not.
But will it evolve, get better and continue to be a entertainment platform?

Oh yeah for sure!

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #485 on: August 12, 2017, 05:01:40 am »

Because it is fun, that's why, and he is so gullible to boot.

You are totally wrong Howard and VR is here to stay on the switch.  So there!

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/30/15492252/nintendo-switch-vr-workaround-zelda-watch
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:05:16 am by ark_ader »
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #486 on: August 13, 2017, 05:47:44 pm »
Once they reduce the cost, the cables and the hardware, and learn how to effectively use it then we will be there.

So once they change absolutely everything, in about 10-20 years, we will be good to go.  Thanks man, you just made my point.
5 years at the most.
NO MORE!!

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #487 on: August 13, 2017, 06:35:18 pm »
    Perhaps in a home setting might be a fun toy, But from a real world standpoint, nobody is going to put on somebodys sweaty mask.... Just going to have to agree with howard. :dunno

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #488 on: August 13, 2017, 06:44:48 pm »
But from a real world standpoint, nobody is going to put on somebodys sweaty mask....

It's washable ;)

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:35:30 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #489 on: August 13, 2017, 07:03:18 pm »
The face covers can get nasty. I bought a few waterproof/sport replacements just for that. You can also buy a pack of hygienic covers for super cheap which are like a one time things.

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
« Reply #490 on: August 13, 2017, 10:30:07 pm »
The hygien issue is real, as stated before anything covering the head is a turn off for some too.  In saying that, VR can still be successful without the need to sell to absolutely everyone.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:21:05 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #491 on: August 14, 2017, 07:33:54 am »
Round and round we go. ::)

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #492 on: August 15, 2017, 05:11:21 am »
The hygienic issue is real, as stated before anything covering the head is a turn off for some too.  In saying that, VR can still be successful without the need to sell to absolutely everyone.

At CES 2016 and 2017 when VR was at its height and everyone and his cousin had a VR "solution" at their kiosk, I didn't see any attempts at making them hygienic for the attendees.  No wet wipes or even a Kleenex.  I'm sure they will have plenty of tissues available next year when you have the VR solution at every kiosk at the AEE, and I hear it will be huge market for their content, if they manage to get space at CES 2018.  I've been told the AEE vendors are targeting the sad and lonely, so you guys better get your tickets early.  :laugh2:

Everyone at the INTEL Oculus VR booth was happy to wait in line for an hour to put on the headset of the previous tester, especially a well sweaty Mr. Wang.  I get the short straw every year (probably due to the pool car issue) to take clients through that particular ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- show, including Mr. Wang.  He took me to lunch to a nice restaurant so it wasn't all bad.   :blah:

When the public starts getting face and eye itchies, then you will see products on the internet that remedy the situation.  I know of two companies that are directly targeting the home market.  Apparently not all people wash their face.
http://www.refinery29.com/2017/03/148076/caveman-regimen-skin-care
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:17:34 am by ark_ader »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #493 on: August 15, 2017, 09:51:21 am »
    EWWWWW.... That's just GROSS, just what this world needs some kind of viral face herpes and pinkeye.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:12:04 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #494 on: August 15, 2017, 10:42:44 am »
Hmm... VR glasses herpes might make a new convenient excuse.  I think word's gotten out to our wives that the toilet seat thing isn't true...

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 04:06:30 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #495 on: August 15, 2017, 12:37:57 pm »
I bought my PSVR used, and the very first thing I did was learn how to take the rubber shield off.  The whole thing got washed/disinfected.

That said, how many of you spent a night at a popular arcade, and after playing every game there, where the controls were handled by about 1000 different people, promptly went and had a slice of pizza without washing your hands first?

;D

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:12:04 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #496 on: August 15, 2017, 12:44:06 pm »
That said, how many of you spent a night at a popular arcade, and after playing every game there, where the controls were handled by about 1000 different people, promptly went and had a slice of pizza without washing your hands first?

Three things to keep in mind at all times:

1 - there's probably someone buried under you
2 - if it's a flat surface, people have had sex on it
3 - everything is coated in poop

:cheers:

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #497 on: August 15, 2017, 03:06:35 pm »

Three things to keep in mind at all times:

1 - there's probably someone buried under you
2 - if it's a flat surface, people have had sex on it
3 - everything is coated in poop

:cheers:

You forgot number 4 about money being filthy and 98% of 20's have traces of cocaine.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #498 on: August 15, 2017, 05:19:14 pm »
At CES 2016 and 2017 when VR was at its height
How do you know it was at it's height?  Did you somehow already attend CES 2018 and saw that it has a lesser VR presence?

Perhaps in a home setting might be a fun toy, But from a real world standpoint, nobody is going to put on somebodys sweaty mask....
Uh, this IS a home device, and while some people are commercializing it, they are commercializing a home device.  If it was designed to go into public arcades, it would have a non-porous face pad.

You definitely want spare mask foam lying around if you are going to share your VR.  I had a friend come over to play and afterward it was practically dripping with his sweat.  I pulled that one off and grabbed the spare that came with it and velcro'd it on and was good to go.  I mean, it did take me an extra 15 seconds, but 10 of those were wasted opening the drawer and digging out the spare pad.  Not exactly a deal breaker.  You can get extras for a few dollars each, and you can wash them. 

I laugh at germaphobes.. they are always the first to get sick any time a new bug is going around.  The only time I feel I need to use a hand sanitizer is after digging in the bargain blu-ray bin at walmart.  For whatever scary reason, I feel violated after touching anything in that bin.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #499 on: August 15, 2017, 08:35:24 pm »
   OMG.... Who would have thought eye herpes is actually already a thing, VR on I guess, Not me, NEVER.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #500 on: August 15, 2017, 10:23:27 pm »
The whole VR hygiene thing is overblown.  The Vive at least features a removable foam insert, which I make a point of washing before and after any demos I give to people.  And I wipe down the inside of the mask and lenses with a lens cleaner.

Takes all of 5 minutes or so to do and keeps the Vive nice 'n clean.  After all the demos I've given to people, no reports of pinkeye or eye herpes yet. 

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #501 on: August 16, 2017, 03:44:29 am »
At CES 2016 and 2017 when VR was at its height
How do you know it was at it's height?  Did you somehow already attend CES 2018 and saw that it has a lesser VR presence?

Well, well let me put it this way.  Nearly everyone there at 2016 CES had a VR doodad, and it wasn't Oculus.  It was some $20 ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- pingpongpoo knock off everyone there, and we are talking the vendors, thought it was hot ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.  Basically google cardboard. Roll forward to 2017 CES and the big LCD screens was all hype again, even Nvidia was hidden and only had a PC case on show. 

Samsung had their booth showing Gear2 watches and the Samsung VR. Yawn.  Intel was showcasing drones, and VR was no where near, probably due to them hooking up the VR to their HD video graphics, which did not work all the time.  Actually I think 2017 was the year of the drones, and they had a nice sub drone on display.

I have some photos somewhere I'll post.  Also Intel had the PC on a SDCARD  called Edison at the 2014 show, and this too was non existent in 2016 CES.  It was tiny, had two cores and no possibilities.  It is a good bet that the 2018 show will produce less VR products and more LCD TVs and drones.  I would start booking hotels now, as they will be expensive by November.  ;)

OK I'm lazy:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/technology/sd-fi-ces-intel-20170104-story.html

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #502 on: August 16, 2017, 03:47:05 am »
   OMG.... Who would have thought eye herpes is actually already a thing, VR on I guess, Not me, NEVER.

Could be worse.  Could be Space Herpes...

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 04:07:24 am by ark_ader »

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
« Reply #503 on: August 16, 2017, 08:11:07 am »
I think it's time to take away the conversation from "Space Herpes" to something more VR progressive related.  As stated by others, geez it's not like everyone uses hand sanitizer every time they handle money or a doorknob ;)

So I recently bought a flight sim game that is early access called "VTOL VR", a fighter/bomber flight sim.  VTOL is the second flying game that uses motion controllers to its full potential (the other being Ultrawings, an ultralight casual flying game), where you can interact with everything in the cockpit.  With VTOL (Vertical Take-Off and Landing), the dev has taken a more sim approach and therefore there’s a lot more buttons and switches to interact with compared to Ultrawings.  Of course, there’s a lot more buttons and levers to interact with in a fighter plane compared to an ultralight ;).  VTOL goes further down the sim angle as even the act of taking off requires a more robust  “checklist” approach to getting the plane off the tarmac and even for flying it (never mind landing!!!).  On their approach I can only congratulate the dev of VTOL for providing an extremely polished interface.  Flipping all the buttons, switches and levers and understanding why some steps must be done in specific order leads to an incredibly rewarding and super immersive experience.  In fact, for a game that definitely feels “early access” (limited amount of missions to choose from), the dev chose to concentrate primarily on the interface and the core gameplay which is primarily you and the cockpit.  For me anyway, it’s quite the homerun.  Even non-motion controller portion of the cockpit are superbly well done, whether it’s the very 3D HUD for navigational tracking to the look of everything, the cockpit is IMHO the pinnacle of VR thus far.  The author has really put a lot of thought into it as even the seat and both main virtual controls (thrust and flight stick) positions are adjustable. This is important as some missions can be long and you don’t want to suffer from arm fatigue so the ability to move the virtual controls can then allow you to have them simulate your chair’s arm rest, which should make it easier to fly.  Is it perfect?  Nope. Outside the excellent cockpit interaction, the look of VTOL is extremely basic, I’d even say it’s a “bland” graphic engine. The game engine is smooth (super important in VR to limit sickness, which I felt none) but it could use a bit of color and more detail around the tree-less mountain and the very basic buildings.  There is little animation in this game, giving a very anti-septic feel to the virtual world… outside the cockpit. 

In saying that, I get where the focus was put: Interacting with all the controls.  Flying the plane itself is very fun but it’s also fairly difficult, partially because of the sim aspect and also because sometimes I had to fight with the controls.  My initial thoughts on the controls was “man they need to be improved”, but now I’m thinking I was holding the right Vive controller wrong and since that’s the controller that simulates the flight stick, it causes issues.  So how was I holding it wrong?  As you press various switches, the Vive control is held more of less horizontal as you reach out for everything.  When you “grab” onto the flight stick, your virtual hand locks in.  However I couldn’t seem to move “up” with consistency.  A couple of nights ago, I decided to place the controller first vertically so that the trigger is placed more or less in the same position as the virtual stick before locking “in” the stick.  Lo and behold I seemed to have better range of motion and that instantly translated to an improved experience.  Playing it some more last night (after an update came out) and it seemed to be even better.  Nothing will ever replace a good HOTAS setup but damn, this virtual joystick set up actually works really good!

Anyway, along with the various cockpit autopilot features (found on real fighter planes of course *cough cough*) it’s certainly playable and is immense fun. You know the game is doing something right where in the middle of the day you start thinking about it, how you think you can improve certain areas of your flying, etc and how you can't wait to get back in!  I believe I read that VTOL is currently a one-man dev team.  If this is true, then congrats to the dev, it’s quite an achievement to get this much of the core gameplay so very much right!  Hopefully continued support can lead to improvements in the core gameplay and some tweaks to beautify the graphic look of the game… and at the very least add a lot more missions to expand on the content.  Doing so will surely lead to a mature product that will lead the way for other dev teams to consider adding full motion controller to their own games (I’m looking at you Elite Dangerous and ETS2!), … at least for the cockpit switches, etc.

As for the other flying game that has full motion controller support, Ultrawings is a lot of fun.  Being a more casual game, it's closer to Pilot Wings 64 then a true flight sim and with that in mind, it works really well and is fun to play.  Less cockpit interaction but still with some good motion controller gameplay (aside from flying you can shoot balloons eheh), it works very well.  Word of warning, not sure if it's because I'm super sampling too much but the steam version seems to cause me slight motion dizziness.  Before the horde calls out "that's what's wrong with VR", a reminder that this is a flying game and I was swaying back and forth pretty badly.  I don't recall having this issue when I played the Oculus Home version (which uses the Oculus SDK while I was playing Ultrawings on the Vive last night which uses the SteamVR OpenSDK?)

Anyway fun times ;)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:21:05 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #504 on: August 16, 2017, 10:53:24 am »
Space herpes is more interesting. This thread would be much better if it was discussing Ice Pirates.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #505 on: August 16, 2017, 12:50:31 pm »
  :scared  Jennifer, (up on her chair) looks around nervously for space herpes  :scared

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
« Reply #506 on: August 16, 2017, 04:28:56 pm »
Jennifer: I wouldn't touch chairs if I were you, people's butt's touch chairs you know   ;D

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #507 on: August 16, 2017, 05:34:25 pm »
Jennifer: I wouldn't touch chairs if I were you, people's butt's touch chairs you know   ;D

Every chair in my house has had more than a naked butt on

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #508 on: August 17, 2017, 12:19:56 am »
Nearly everyone there at 2016 CES had a VR doodad, and it wasn't Oculus.  It was some $20 ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- pingpongpoo knock off everyone there, and we are talking the vendors, thought it was hot ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.  Basically google cardboard.
so what you are saying is 2016 was the height of releasing new cardboard VR viewers... I can't disagree.  It became apparent pretty fast to manufacturers that while a real VR experience is pretty amazing, a $5 solution is simply a waste of $5 and has a better chance of turning anyone interested in trying it out into a naysayer who is sure it is just a fad that will go away soon.  I mean, come on, they "tried VR" and it just wasn't that cool, so only an idiot would spend hundreds of dollars for it. 

And after 15? pages of VR talk about the "real deal" headsets that have tracking and controllers and 90+fps display rates, some are still seeing them as expensive versions of cardboard VR viewers.   :dunno   Meanwhile the ones who actually use real headsets are talking about how amazing these things are. 

You and Howard need to get together and have a beer and talk about how up to date you are on technology trends.  Once you get bored with talking about the bleeding edge technology of 90's consoles, you can go drive a Honda with a tuner and a fart can and become experts on Ferraris from your experiences...

BTW, Best Buy has a deal right now on the Rift with the touch controllers - $399. 

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #509 on: August 17, 2017, 01:14:59 am »
Nearly everyone there at 2016 CES had a VR doodad, and it wasn't Oculus.  It was some $20 ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- pingpongpoo knock off everyone there, and we are talking the vendors, thought it was hot ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.  Basically google cardboard.

You and Howard need to get together and have a beer and talk about how up to date you are on technology trends.  Once you get bored with talking about the bleeding edge technology of 90's consoles, you can go drive a Honda with a tuner and a fart can and become experts on Ferraris from your experiences...

Nah it would be like talking to my 61 year old tech clueless brother, and if I managed to get like 10 minutes of conversation in, I would have to play some Zelda to make Howard happy.

It would make me want to put a rusty nail in my eye.  Thanks anyway.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 03:16:08 am by ark_ader »

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #510 on: August 17, 2017, 01:16:55 am »
I think it's time to take away the conversation from "Space Herpes" to something more VR progressive related.  As stated by others, geez it's not like everyone uses hand sanitizer every time they handle money or a doorknob ;)

So I recently bought a flight sim game that is early access called "VTOL VR", a fighter/bomber flight sim.  VTOL is the second flying game that uses motion controllers to its full potential (the other being Ultrawings, an ultralight casual flying game), where you can interact with everything in the cockpit.  With VTOL (Vertical Take-Off and Landing), the dev has taken a more sim approach and therefore there’s a lot more buttons and switches to interact with compared to Ultrawings.  Of course, there’s a lot more buttons and levers to interact with in a fighter plane compared to an ultralight ;).  VTOL goes further down the sim angle as even the act of taking off requires a more robust  “checklist” approach to getting the plane off the tarmac and even for flying it (never mind landing!!!).  On their approach I can only congratulate the dev of VTOL for providing an extremely polished interface.  Flipping all the buttons, switches and levers and understanding why some steps must be done in specific order leads to an incredibly rewarding and super immersive experience.  In fact, for a game that definitely feels “early access” (limited amount of missions to choose from), the dev chose to concentrate primarily on the interface and the core gameplay which is primarily you and the cockpit.  For me anyway, it’s quite the homerun.  Even non-motion controller portion of the cockpit are superbly well done, whether it’s the very 3D HUD for navigational tracking to the look of everything, the cockpit is IMHO the pinnacle of VR thus far.  The author has really put a lot of thought into it as even the seat and both main virtual controls (thrust and flight stick) positions are adjustable. This is important as some missions can be long and you don’t want to suffer from arm fatigue so the ability to move the virtual controls can then allow you to have them simulate your chair’s arm rest, which should make it easier to fly.  Is it perfect?  Nope. Outside the excellent cockpit interaction, the look of VTOL is extremely basic, I’d even say it’s a “bland” graphic engine. The game engine is smooth (super important in VR to limit sickness, which I felt none) but it could use a bit of color and more detail around the tree-less mountain and the very basic buildings.  There is little animation in this game, giving a very anti-septic feel to the virtual world… outside the cockpit. 

In saying that, I get where the focus was put: Interacting with all the controls.  Flying the plane itself is very fun but it’s also fairly difficult, partially because of the sim aspect and also because sometimes I had to fight with the controls.  My initial thoughts on the controls was “man they need to be improved”, but now I’m thinking I was holding the right Vive controller wrong and since that’s the controller that simulates the flight stick, it causes issues.  So how was I holding it wrong?  As you press various switches, the Vive control is held more of less horizontal as you reach out for everything.  When you “grab” onto the flight stick, your virtual hand locks in.  However I couldn’t seem to move “up” with consistency.  A couple of nights ago, I decided to place the controller first vertically so that the trigger is placed more or less in the same position as the virtual stick before locking “in” the stick.  Lo and behold I seemed to have better range of motion and that instantly translated to an improved experience.  Playing it some more last night (after an update came out) and it seemed to be even better.  Nothing will ever replace a good HOTAS setup but damn, this virtual joystick set up actually works really good!

Anyway, along with the various cockpit autopilot features (found on real fighter planes of course *cough cough*) it’s certainly playable and is immense fun. You know the game is doing something right where in the middle of the day you start thinking about it, how you think you can improve certain areas of your flying, etc and how you can't wait to get back in!  I believe I read that VTOL is currently a one-man dev team.  If this is true, then congrats to the dev, it’s quite an achievement to get this much of the core gameplay so very much right!  Hopefully continued support can lead to improvements in the core gameplay and some tweaks to beautify the graphic look of the game… and at the very least add a lot more missions to expand on the content.  Doing so will surely lead to a mature product that will lead the way for other dev teams to consider adding full motion controller to their own games (I’m looking at you Elite Dangerous and ETS2!), … at least for the cockpit switches, etc.

As for the other flying game that has full motion controller support, Ultrawings is a lot of fun.  Being a more casual game, it's closer to Pilot Wings 64 then a true flight sim and with that in mind, it works really well and is fun to play.  Less cockpit interaction but still with some good motion controller gameplay (aside from flying you can shoot balloons eheh), it works very well.  Word of warning, not sure if it's because I'm super sampling too much but the steam version seems to cause me slight motion dizziness.  Before the horde calls out "that's what's wrong with VR", a reminder that this is a flying game and I was swaying back and forth pretty badly.  I don't recall having this issue when I played the Oculus Home version (which uses the Oculus SDK while I was playing Ultrawings on the Vive last night which uses the SteamVR OpenSDK?)

Anyway fun times ;)

So are you the guy that gets to write the manual for this "fun game"?  You have the gift of the waffle, that is for sure.

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
« Reply #511 on: August 20, 2017, 01:18:25 pm »
Nah, it's just a talent ;)

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 12:29:43 pm by shponglefan »

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
« Reply #513 on: August 21, 2017, 10:52:09 am »
That's big...  and about time

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 04:06:30 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #514 on: August 28, 2017, 12:44:44 pm »
I finally tried PinballFX2 VR on the PSVR.  Aside from a bit of a strange choice for the default view distance from the table, which is fixed by reorienting the view while looking at the ceiling, I'm very impressed.  It's literally a night and day difference from playing on a TV.  I don't know whether the physics engine has been changed on this, or whether the difference is solely in being able to better see the ball position and interaction  (I'm seriously leaning toward the former) but this plays and feels as close to real pinball as anything I have played outside of real machines.  I already own 2 of the 3 tables in the basic VR collection, and they feel like completely different games.

Certain gaming genres benefit greatly from this kind of tech, and pinball sims appear to be yet another which does, and to an extensive degree.  I can't wait to see some licensed tables using the technology.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #515 on: August 28, 2017, 01:03:45 pm »
Might have to give that one a go, I love pinball but dont have the room for one atm :(

pixel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2019, 05:33:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #516 on: August 28, 2017, 01:10:55 pm »
I finally tried PinballFX2 VR on the PSVR.  Aside from a bit of a strange choice for the default view distance from the table, which is fixed by reorienting the view while looking at the ceiling, I'm very impressed.  It's literally a night and day difference from playing on a TV.  I don't know whether the physics engine has been changed on this, or whether the difference is solely in being able to better see the ball position and interaction  (I'm seriously leaning toward the former) but this plays and feels as close to real pinball as anything I have played outside of real machines.  I already own 2 of the 3 tables in the basic VR collection, and they feel like completely different games.

Certain gaming genres benefit greatly from this kind of tech, and pinball sims appear to be yet another which does, and to an extensive degree.  I can't wait to see some licensed tables using the technology.

See if you cant get mame to play  Continental Circus 3D  on them.   Pressing one of the F1 keys, in-game,   (I think f2)  , enables stereoscopic 3d mode.
The 3d on Continental Circus is damn awesome.    Parts and pieces, smoke, tires...etc..  flying out of the screen,  constantly.     It takes a mildly 'Meh' game,
and turns it into a whole other level of experience.

The depth of 3d is really impressive.. both into and out of the screen.   Which sadly,  is often a real rarity in many Stereoscopic games as well as films.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #517 on: August 28, 2017, 07:52:52 pm »

you mean you have not built one of these yet :P
! No longer available

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #518 on: August 28, 2017, 08:16:24 pm »
So someone found at mention of "VR mode" in the Nintendo switch OS.  If they follow through with it either it'll save VR, or run it into the ground.  So get ready guys. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #519 on: August 29, 2017, 03:18:04 am »
So someone found at mention of "VR mode" in the Nintendo switch OS.  If they follow through with it either it'll save VR, or run it into the ground.  So get ready guys.

How very fanboy of you to suggest that VR's life is held by Nintendo