Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing  (Read 230208 times)

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing
« Reply #360 on: May 23, 2017, 02:38:20 pm »
I dont have great eyesight.
But luckily mine is easily corrected with glasses or contacts.

I can wear my glasses ok using the PSVR but not for long periods.
I find it gets a bit uncomfortable and sometimes steams up on long periods.

Contacts on the other hand are great!

But I am a little odd and only wear one contact LOL

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #361 on: May 23, 2017, 03:21:50 pm »
It's not just anti-aliasing, but the type of anti-aliasing that makes a big difference.  It's especially bad in Unreal engine games using temporal AA which can be blurry as hell.  OTOH, super-sampling can achieve the benefits of anti-aliasing, but retaining detail.  This is something I've noticed with the Vive and using SS is that its resolution is better than it appears at first glance.  A lot depends on the rendering engine and AA used.

Yeah, that's where the processing power enters the picture.  From what I gather, the PS4 Pro delivers a marginally better image, most likely due to super-sampling.  But it's not that much better to warrant buying one, at least not yet.  Hopefully someone figures out an algorithm to do a better job specifically for lower resolution VR applications.  Everything is currently geared toward high resolution 2D, and what is best for one, probably isn't for the other.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #362 on: May 24, 2017, 12:41:27 pm »
Farpoint:  I don't know what to say......  If anything will help sell PSVR, this will be it.  Probably why it's such a good deal for the gun bundle right now.  I only gave it an hour so far, but if this is a typical debut title, I can't wait to see where things go in the future.

Everything I have tried so far, pales in comparison.  I shoot real guns, and shooting in this game feels so natural and accurate, that I never felt like the game was limiting my abilities in any way. The game seems always to be fine-tuning the gun position to the player to make sure it never strays.  Even when you move it out of camera view, it very quickly finds it's way back to where you expect it to be.

The visuals are great, even though they are last-gen looking.  The studio did very well with the environment.  Large rocky landscapes in wide open areas, and controlled view distances in areas with more detailed surroundings, go a long way in masking the resolution shortcomings.   I wasn't nearly as bothered by it, as with other titles.  The sense of immersion is really good in this one, so that helps as well.

If you own a PSVR and you haven't picked this bundle up yet, you haven't seen the kind of experience it can deliver.  I am now a believer (but I still won't spend $1500 on dedicated rig :) )    I'm really hoping we see House of the Dead Eleventy in VR, using the PSVR Aim controller!

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #363 on: May 24, 2017, 02:21:50 pm »
PSVR down to $340 today via NewEgg.  Got the wallet twitching.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #364 on: May 24, 2017, 03:08:05 pm »
Farpoint:  I don't know what to say......  If anything will help sell PSVR, this will be it.  Probably why it's such a good deal for the gun bundle right now.  I only gave it an hour so far, but if this is a typical debut title, I can't wait to see where things go in the future.

Everything I have tried so far, pales in comparison.  I shoot real guns, and shooting in this game feels so natural and accurate, that I never felt like the game was limiting my abilities in any way. The game seems always to be fine-tuning the gun position to the player to make sure it never strays.  Even when you move it out of camera view, it very quickly finds it's way back to where you expect it to be.

The visuals are great, even though they are last-gen looking.  The studio did very well with the environment.  Large rocky landscapes in wide open areas, and controlled view distances in areas with more detailed surroundings, go a long way in masking the resolution shortcomings.   I wasn't nearly as bothered by it, as with other titles.  The sense of immersion is really good in this one, so that helps as well.

If you own a PSVR and you haven't picked this bundle up yet, you haven't seen the kind of experience it can deliver.  I am now a believer (but I still won't spend $1500 on dedicated rig :) )    I'm really hoping we see House of the Dead Eleventy in VR, using the PSVR Aim controller!

Do it PBJ....

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #365 on: May 24, 2017, 03:47:45 pm »
(See Kathy Griffin)

This is a pretty strong point against having one's vision improved.  I don't want to see her more clearly.

FWIW, one drawback on the PSVR is the rubber hood that blocks out external light.  If you seal it up well enough the damn lenses fog up quickly.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #366 on: May 24, 2017, 04:20:54 pm »
(See Kathy Griffin)

This is a pretty strong point against having one's vision improved.  I don't want to see her more clearly.

FWIW, one drawback on the PSVR is the rubber hood that blocks out external light.  If you seal it up well enough the damn lenses fog up quickly.

Cant say I have ever been able to seal it up that close to my face LOL

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #367 on: May 24, 2017, 04:23:13 pm »

Dk2 would always be fogging up in me, I have never had any fog issues with the rift and vive, wonder if is a plus side to the Fresnels.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #368 on: May 24, 2017, 09:40:20 pm »
Dk2 would always be fogging up in me, I have never had any fog issues with the rift and vive, wonder if is a plus side to the Fresnels.
Maybe the open cell foam helps too..

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #369 on: May 25, 2017, 09:58:31 am »

Yeah, the PSVR hood is straight rubber.  Your eyes give off moisture, of course, and if you're in a bright room you need to seal it against your face almost like a diving mask.  For me at times the lenses can begin to fog up in minutes.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #370 on: May 25, 2017, 12:27:05 pm »
Yeah, the PSVR hood is straight rubber.  Your eyes give off moisture, of course, and if you're in a bright room you need to seal it against your face almost like a diving mask.  For me at times the lenses can begin to fog up in minutes.

Interesting.  After many hours using the PSVR, I can truthfully say that I have never experienced any sort of "fogging".  I'm going to guess that the environment may have something to do with it, or maybe even an individuals facial structure.  Whether you breath primarily from your nose or mouth might also have something to do with it.  What we are talking about is condensation, and that usually require the lenses to be colder than the moisture containing air moving across them. If you are in an AC environment, and the unit is cold, I can see where you might run into this.  I'd also expect it to improve when the unit warms up.  Fresnels would still be susceptible, but given their lower mass, they probably acclimate quicker to temperature.

I don't normally have a perfect seal with the surround.  It's extremely close though, and a little bit of air is probably a good thing.  A darkened room helps the tracking, and keeps tiny gaps from being a distraction.

One thing I have come to realize is that VR is a workout.  Before I went to bed, I gave Farpoint another run, and given that I was l already tired, a half-hour was all I could muster.  Just standing with your arms extended, and twisting your body, can get pretty tiring.  I see people complaining about the gun design, but I'm happy that there isn't an extra bit of unnecessary weight on this thing :)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #371 on: May 25, 2017, 12:37:24 pm »
Whats suposed to be the matter with the gun?
Feels great to me for a game controller.
And like you I shoot real guns lol

As for the fogging again never had that issue with the VR but I have had my glasses fog while wearing it.

Bit of a gap and dark room and you shouldn't have any problems.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #372 on: May 25, 2017, 12:44:50 pm »
Whats suposed to be the matter with the gun?
Feels great to me for a game controller.
And like you I shoot real guns lol

It's mostly commentary from those who haven't used it.  It doesn't look like a gun, and they aren't getting the "masculinity" boost they seem to be looking for when they hold it.  :lol

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #373 on: May 25, 2017, 12:46:04 pm »
Who cares what it looks like when you cant see it!? LOL

Dummys....

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #374 on: May 25, 2017, 01:16:38 pm »
It's like people expect their VR gun props to be like this or something...

;D

https://uploadvr.com/serious-sam-vr-croteam-minigun/

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #375 on: May 25, 2017, 02:24:54 pm »
Hollowpoint has been the only VR game I feel compelled to raise my heard rate. You are shooting targets in a 360 arena with a bow that you have to pull back, when you hit your target it explodes shooting a bullet at you that you have to dodge with your head. So you are jumping around in circles pulling your arm frantically in a bow motion dodging projectiles… if you want to build your VR stamina half an hour a day for a few weeks and every other game will feel like a joke.
I don’t think it would work with the psvr since you need a 360 setup though.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #376 on: May 25, 2017, 09:20:41 pm »
Interesting.  After many hours using the PSVR, I can truthfully say that I have never experienced any sort of "fogging".  I'm going to guess that the environment may have something to do with it, or maybe even an individuals facial structure.  Whether you breath primarily from your nose or mouth might also have something to do with it. 

Definitely has nothing to do with breathing as neither nose nor mouth are inside the seal.  This is a humid environment, though, and I do sweat more than average.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #377 on: May 26, 2017, 10:29:12 am »
Definitely has nothing to do with breathing as neither nose nor mouth are inside the seal.

I mentioned that only due to the nature of the nose seal on the PSVR.  At least for me, the split nose flap arrangement never seals completely.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #378 on: June 05, 2017, 03:27:39 pm »

So, yesterday I put the PSVR on my buddy and set him up with the Move controllers and Rush of Blood.  It was the funniest thing I have seen in quite a while :).  He's a mostly technologically challenged 50-something, and definitely not a "gamer", but he was having a great time and did very well with the controls.  He jumped like crazy at the in-your-face scares, and was yelling obscenities.  I swore he would have ripped off the headset after the first one, but he didn't, and I had to pull him off of it at the end of level 3. :)

I got him to try Farpoint, but there are a lot of controls on the gun which aren't friendly to a non-gamer.  He thought it was really cool, but had trouble navigating everything.  His son, on the other hand, is a crack COD player, and picked up the controls quickly.  He had no problems shooting what he was aiming at and moving around, but I noticed he was having trouble shaking his normal habits of playing an FPS, where looking around is controlled by the thumbsticks.  So he ended up getting pounded by flying objects and attacks from the side.  Eventually, he started coming around to the requirement of "natural situational awareness", through head movements, and starting doing better.  By the time he got done, he asked if there were other games like Farpoint yet, and said he would start looking for deals on the units.

Both had a good time, and neither of them complained about anything other than the cost of entry :).

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #379 on: June 05, 2017, 03:57:42 pm »

And that's what I consider important.  I don't care about screen resolution and market share and all that other fantasy football stuff.  Is it fun?  Is it accessible?  Is there something for both the l33t gamer and the casual player?  That looks like a clear yes on that day.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #380 on: June 05, 2017, 05:58:32 pm »
Ive had a few mates play far point lately and they both really enjoyed themselves.

Though the one did get motion sickness after a while LOL

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #381 on: June 06, 2017, 01:31:14 am »
I was just able to model this desk and book, UV map it, create the cover in photoshop, texture it in substance painter, bring it into Unreal Engine and interact with it. VR is so cool....

Does anyone remember 1994 Game Under the Killing Moon, I want to recreate Tex Murphy's office from that game into VR. Should be a fun first project.

! No longer available

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #382 on: June 06, 2017, 09:04:09 am »

Damn, and to think simple object 3D modeling was cmpsci grad level stuff when I was in college.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #383 on: June 12, 2017, 08:18:03 am »
So... these were just officially posted:

! Doom 3 VFR

! Fallout 4 VR

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #384 on: June 12, 2017, 11:25:14 am »
So... these were just officially posted:

! Doom 3 VFR

! Fallout 4 VR

Get Doom on the PSVR my life long dream will be realised :)

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #385 on: June 12, 2017, 02:38:42 pm »
Doom is what kicked off first person gamming and then it was what kicked off VR. What cant Doom do... World peace? maybe.

! No longer available

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #386 on: June 12, 2017, 04:14:22 pm »
Doom is what kicked off first person gamming and then it was what kicked off VR. What cant Doom do... World peace? maybe.

! No longer available

Its also the game that first made me want to play a game in VR 20 something years ago!

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #387 on: June 12, 2017, 09:43:04 pm »

And you're also getting Skyrim  :o

Skyrim VR
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 12:59:39 am by shponglefan »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #388 on: June 13, 2017, 01:45:47 am »

And you're also getting Skyrim  :o

Skyrim VR

Not bothered about that lol

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #389 on: June 13, 2017, 11:13:15 am »
....no...more....skyrim......

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #390 on: June 13, 2017, 12:25:53 pm »

Speaking as a more or less Nintendo only gamer where modern consoles are concerned this stuff might be a compelling argument for the PS4/VR investment. 

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #391 on: June 13, 2017, 01:17:17 pm »
FALLLLLOOOOUUUUTTTT!!!!!

There's the killer app.
I'm in.
NO MORE!!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #392 on: June 13, 2017, 05:57:15 pm »

You already bought the thing weeks ago, I thought?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #393 on: June 23, 2017, 11:07:31 am »
Supposedly Wal-Mart is putting the PS4 VRs on clearance.... check your zip codes...

http://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=50851002

http://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=483107010

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #394 on: June 23, 2017, 12:07:33 pm »
They've knocked 100 bucks off of the one without the move controllers (Why do they even sell that?)  400 is still a bit pricey imho.  If they could manage to sell the whole kit, minus the ps4 for under 200 bucks I think they might have a real product.  Right now they just have something that would be more at home in a sharper image catalog than Walmart.  Understand that is an insult... if you want your gaming widget to sell well it needs the mouth breathers at your local Walmart to gobble it up. 

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #395 on: June 23, 2017, 12:58:17 pm »
They've knocked 100 bucks off of the one without the move controllers (Why do they even sell that?)

Not all games use the Move controllers and a lot of people already had Move controllers.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:41:33 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #396 on: June 27, 2017, 08:11:36 pm »
Super Hot VR is on sale right now. Ive heard about the game but never actually played it. Now its on VR and I have to say its amazing.

If you ever wanted to be NEO in the Matrix this is the game.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #397 on: June 30, 2017, 11:43:50 am »
were people asking for House Of The Dead In VR? It here and it is actually pretty fun.

! No longer available

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #398 on: June 30, 2017, 12:00:20 pm »
were people asking for House Of The Dead In VR? It here and it is actually pretty fun.

Need on PSVR with AIM compatibility :)

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #399 on: June 30, 2017, 12:11:41 pm »

Need on PSVR with AIM compatibility :)

So much this.   :cheers: