Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing  (Read 230443 times)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 07:50:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2016, 03:21:29 pm »
U wana give us a clue where to read on that rather long thread PBJ?

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2016, 04:53:18 pm »
Only thing I could see in that thread in reference to sales of PC HMDs was this one question:

[–]Kibbles6
what are your toughts on the VIVE/Rift sales having grinded to a halt do you have higher hopes for PSVR?

[–]TurakothRebellion
Nothing’s ever a sure thing, but PlayStation have been working on this tech for years and been busy curating a great set of games for the first few months after launch. They also have one big advantage – they’ve been making hardware for decades, whereas this is a new business for some of the others. For the record though we’ll be supporting Oculus too with Battlezone and will hopefully others if we get the time!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2016, 07:48:55 pm »
And I think that is realistic.  Sony and Microsoft are in a much better position because they make both hardware and games.  Then again think how much money and effort they dumped into the Kinect and PsMove respectively.  Optional accessories just don't sell well and that's all across the board throughout the entire history of video games. 

Make no mistake though, unless something impressive turns it around it IS dead on the pc.  That doesn't mean that, depending on what you use it for, you might get your money's worth with a vr headset.... just don't expect the AAA games/apps to roll in anytime soon. 

Also the NES was a bad example.  The NES's hardware was irrelevant.... they even re-designed the shell to trick consumers into thinking it was a toy.  It was their draconian restrictions on software and quality assurance of said software that made it successful.  Also the computers sold in 1987.... for the most part they were indeed a fad and they did indeed go away.  Remember that at that time ibm compatible (aka a PC and not some junk hobbyist computer) only had a fraction of the market.  Instead you had Tandys and c64's and all these pseudo computers where none of their software was intercompatable.    The pc as we know it today is ibm style with windows or Linux on it. Those survived because of a unified software base.  Again, it all goes back to the software. 

I'm not trying to argue btw, I'm just explaining my opinion so you can see where I'm coming from. 

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2016, 08:04:57 pm »
Make no mistake though, unless something impressive turns it around it IS dead on the pc.

It's way too soon to tell the state of VR on the PC.  I see new games still being released every week, titles from bigger studios haven't landed yet (particularly Bethesda and Ubisoft), Touch controllers for the Rift are still to be released... And we haven't even been through a holiday season yet which is the peak buying period for electronics.  We also don't know what individual manufacturer's strategies are going to be with respect to price cuts, updated models, etc.  Price cuts alone could help spur sales.

Not to mention there are more HMDs coming out soon including the FOVE (first headset with eye tracking) and StarVR (with 210 degree view).

In another 6-12 months we'll see how things shake out, but people calling for the "death" of VR right now are being way too premature.

That doesn't mean that, depending on what you use it for, you might get your money's worth with a vr headset.... just don't expect the AAA games/apps to roll in anytime soon.

A little while ago I did an analysis of top titles per platform and when they came out relative to the platform's launch (using consoles specifically).  On average it took a little over 3 years (+/- 1.7 years) for the best games to arrive.  So realistically we're probably still at least 1 year or more away from the really good VR titles landing.  In the mean time, I'm enjoying the hell out of what we already have.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 01:25:20 am by shponglefan »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2016, 05:25:38 am »
And I think that is realistic.  Sony and Microsoft are in a much better position because they make both hardware and games.  Then again think how much money and effort they dumped into the Kinect and PsMove respectively.  Optional accessories just don't sell well and that's all across the board throughout the entire history of video games. 

Make no mistake though, unless something impressive turns it around it IS dead on the pc.  That doesn't mean that, depending on what you use it for, you might get your money's worth with a vr headset.... just don't expect the AAA games/apps to roll in anytime soon. 

Also the NES was a bad example.  The NES's hardware was irrelevant.... they even re-designed the shell to trick consumers into thinking it was a toy.  It was their draconian restrictions on software and quality assurance of said software that made it successful.  Also the computers sold in 1987.... for the most part they were indeed a fad and they did indeed go away.  Remember that at that time ibm compatible (aka a PC and not some junk hobbyist computer) only had a fraction of the market.  Instead you had Tandys and c64's and all these pseudo computers where none of their software was intercompatable.    The pc as we know it today is ibm style with windows or Linux on it. Those survived because of a unified software base.  Again, it all goes back to the software. 

I'm not trying to argue btw, I'm just explaining my opinion so you can see where I'm coming from.

Although I agree with you I still think the NES to be a good example.

Hardware needs software and visa vera one without the other is nothing.

The NES was a re-release of the Famicon sure but it pretty much single handedly saved the games industry.

The toyish redesign was intended and so was the heavy quality focus with the seal of authenticity.

Nintendo realised it was poor quality control etc that nearly destroyed everything so they took steps to put it right.

Then and ever since competitors followed suit and its now a massive industry and can in no way be called a Fad.

And even though we still get **** games now and again we have never had another ET lol

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2016, 11:12:50 am »
And even though we still get **** games now and again we have never had another ET lol

I dunno, you ever play Big Rigs?   ;D

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2016, 02:29:02 pm »
Cant say I have.
I avoid crap games lol

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2016, 11:40:06 am »
PC sales:  For those wanting to get in on high end VR (Oculus CV1 or Vive), it can be quite an investment, as stated earlier between $1500-$2000 USD for most to plunk down (including headset) if they didn't have a good enough PC.  This alone guarantees that the early adopters certainly would plateau.  That's a lot of money.  Consumers have shown they lots to spend $$$ on high end devices (hellooo smartphone and tablet markets!) but there's a limit. 

In saying that, technology advances, less than 6 months after release we already have a GPU ATI 480 that sells for a couple hundred bucks.  It will be the same for the rest of the requirements, where Oculus said 9 months ago a minimum spec VR PC would cost $999, now we are seeing them go around $675 http://www.pcworld.com/article/3117782/computers/tested-this-all-amd-650-pc-proves-vr-ready-rigs-dont-have-to-be-expensive.html.  Give it another year and we'll probably have sub $500 PC/Console able to run these.  My crystal ball is showing me Xbox Scorpio is going to do just that (PS4 is going to do a decent job with PSVR but it's underpowered and can't do the same high end roomscale VR as the current PC solutions, especially compared with Vive).  Regardless of the consoles, it's just a matter of a couple of years before a large majority of PC gamers will have a VR specs PC; right now, that's not the case.

Like any other tech, the HMD prices themselves will fall once further R&D and manufacturing improvements leads to better cost saving.  This is standard in the industry and usually leads to increased sales passed the early adopters.

From websites I've read, many of the VR industry leaders had low expectations on VR sales for the first year, not because of their specific HD tech or prices but because of that PC spec min requirements.  Oculus have stated this numerous times, the slow sales in the first year is expected (Jan 2016:  http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/01/oculus-founder-your-crappy-pc-is-the-biggest-barrier-to-vr-adoption/.  I don't have a link handy but I remember an Oculus rep specifically stating they didn't think VR might kick off very fast until CV2 is out which is in a couple of years.

I own both the Oculus Rift CV1 and the HTC Vive, caught the bug with the DK2 and for me anyway, there's no turning back.  In saying that, VR mass adoption is unlikely because of real issues such as:

- people don't like not seeing around them, something stuck to their face is a big turnoff (current bulkiness is an issue overall)
- the headset adjustments between players is a hassle and a half, so local multiplayer suffers greatly
- Great VR gaming generally speaking doesn't really address the most successful genres (FPS and sports) due to locomotion restrictions.
- mass market gamers are into "push a button, device is on".  The notion of having to put on a headset, adjust the straps, etc at the moment isn't for these gamers (though kudos for Oculus for having gone quite some distance in managing to do just that... as long as you aren't passing the headset to someone else)
- gaming wise, new platforms needs a killer app, presently there is none
- tech wise, it's very cool but for mass market they need higher resolution/less pixels and larger FOV
- as mentioned by others, haptic feedback is not what some expect *
- wires... freaking wires

So why am I all-in then?

- VR is awesome for online social gaming, unbelievable.  Playing pool and ping pong in VR will never beat playing in real life but boy does it blow away standard pc gaming!  The feeling of presence, even this early in the industry life cycle blows my mind and it will only get better from here
- Immersion can't be compared.  Whether you play cockpit games, adventure games, shooters (not traditional FPS), there's nothing like it
- Right now, we don't yet have the killer app/game/experience released because that takes time and some of the AAA studios just started working on VR but that is coming, just a matter of time.
- Motion control: the technology may not be perfect but if you take it for what it is, it's incredible!  I'm especially continuously impressed by the room scale tracking of the HTC Vive (and from what I hear, will be equality impressed with the Oculus controllers when they come out in two months).  For anyone who tried the wii controllers, forget it, it's nothing like that.
- Haptic feedback *:  It's better than people think, because the mind fills in the blank.  When I play "Thrill of the fight" (a VERY early access boxing game), even though I'm not hitting a face, the level of presence along with the current haptic feedback (I think it has it! LOL) seems to fill in the blanks.  Obviously it doesn't feel like I'm punching something but the mind is tricked.  This doesn't work with everything but when its done right, it works better than you would think
- FOV/SDE:  Yes the low FOX and especially the SDE (pixels or space between the pixels) is noticeable, more on the Vive than the Rift IMHO but still once you are in it for a while, you just don't notice it anymore.  I liken it to playing classic arcade games, where I just don't see the low res others might see.  To each is own...
- Eventually, like maybe 3-4 years from now, mobile CPU/GPU solutions will make wireless VR a reality and this will help considerably

Anyway what exactly should be considered a success here?  Selling 1 million?  10 million?  100 million?  Because of the "cons" listed above, I don't see 100 million as achievable but after normal VR spec PC adoption improves and prices go down, several is possible.  But this is a moot point, Oculus and John Carmack believe that wireless is the end result of VR and I think they are right.  Won't be for a while, but it will get there eventually and when it does, along with a less bulky headset/hopefully glasses, that's when the flood gates will open.

For the nay-sayers, some of you probably predicted the ipad was a passing fad  As of March '16, they have sold over 300 million.  ;).  Seriously though, don't compare motion control to wii and VR to the cheap solutions, it just doesn't compare.  If you get a chance to try it (especially the Vive because of it's current room scale developed games), try it for at least 30 min, you'll see the technical limitations tend to just disappear.

Exciting times!

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 07:50:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2016, 11:46:42 am »
I'm kind of surprised I haven't seen any Playstation VR demo set ups anywhere.  Aren't those coming out in a couple of weeks?

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2016, 02:33:09 pm »

The VIVE does have demos set up at Microsoft stores.  I saw one recently but didn't get the chance to try it.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:52:14 am
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2016, 07:20:22 pm »
Any one that lives in Utah hit me up and ill let you check it out. No weirdo's though.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2016, 11:28:58 pm »
I'm kind of surprised I haven't seen any Playstation VR demo set ups anywhere.  Aren't those coming out in a couple of weeks?

Yeah that's weird isn't it.  Taco bell is even doing that promotion to win one and honestly when I saw the commercials I thought "are those demo units?"  because there has been virtually no fan-fare or advertising for the thing.  You would think they would do those big, pompous, playstation ad campaigns like they normally do when something big is about to be released.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2016, 11:44:41 pm »
They did completely sell out the PSVR pre-orders, so there is that.

Although I suspect we'll see a bigger marketing push as we get closer to the holidays.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2016, 04:39:18 am »
Yeah after Halloween on the run up to xmas I think there will be a big push.

Ime going to be watching the PSVR with interest as its something I would like to play but ime not going to lay down that sorta cash until I see some real world use 6 months after release.

fablog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2024, 10:30:06 pm
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2016, 08:48:58 am »
I tried the PSVR this week in a mall in Montreal. I played Eve Valkyrie. Well VR is fantastic but     this one feels cheap. Nausea after 5 minutes, resolution too low and not enough viewing angle. I didn't tried the competition but this one give me a huge interest for this technology.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 08:51:32 am by fablog »

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2016, 03:59:23 pm »
Using the revive plugin on the HTC vive I was able to Eve Valkyrie. So far thats been the only game that has made me nauseous. Even at low graphics I got the screen to be as smooth as possible but still insta-headache.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2016, 06:51:42 pm »
A lot of interesting comments here.

Sales:  If sales HAVE flattened out, I can tell you why... In the first few months after the Vive finally hit retail, there were still a lot of titles coming out that were worthy of the price and enthusiasts were gobbling them all up.  Most of these were early releases or "previews", and in every case, still in development.  In the past 3 weeks I haven't seen one title come out that is recommended.  At best a few have come out that got a "looks promising" or "if you really like XXXXX type games, get it" type reviews, but otherwise, all junk.  In other words, all the BEST stuff is already out and still in development, so there is no need to spend more money once you have those titles.  PLUS, all the really good games are getting huge updates with tons of new content. 

Rift vs Vive vs the others.  The real differences between Rift and Vive are the controllers and room scale.  Vive is all about getting up and interacting with the environment.  Rift has some great games out for it and more development time on the games, but uses an xbox controller at the moment, so interaction with your environment is limited and there is no way to define the room, so room scale is pretty much limited to the Vive.

I enjoy watching friends try it out as much as playing.  One friend, just a few minutes after being in, tried to lean on a table.  He stumbled and hit the wall instead.  It is VERY immersive. 

NiN^_^NiN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2020, 10:28:26 pm
  • Oh yeah Baby. I put on my robe and wizard hat
« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2016, 07:54:22 pm »
Just wanted give you guys the good news on VR

Oculus has created ASW (asynchronous space warp) which is an improvement on AST (asynchronous time warp) (Vive dosen't use any of these hence jitter sometimes in games and useless on hardware not powerful enough but they said they are working on a similar AST so that should help.

basically AST will make the framerate smooth so you won't notice any jitter or the screen stopping when rotating your head. The new ASW does the same and positional so it can run the game at 90hz on the display even if the fps is say 45fps and keeps it smooth and unnoticeable but the greatest benefit is that has brought down the min spec so you can now use a $149 GPU for VR and a whole PC made to the new spec for oculus is about $400 to $500 so it's dropped down greatly for people to access VR at least for oculus and hopefully Vive when they get their own AST running sometime next year.

So now you have a PC that can run VR at a much better price point and lower spec.

Also the Vive just released sales figures which doesn't match the steam survey at all and hence why it was pointed out that the amount and adoption rate was incorrect.

The vive has sold 140,000 units so far (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-10-20-htc-vive-has-sold-more-than-140-000-units-report)

Add the fact we still have Oculus that hasn't released figures and they are about to sell their headset with motion controllers as a bundle plus PC specs are much better to run the games we have a encouraging trend and if you have seen any of the facebook stuff that was announced at OC3 (Oculus Connect 3) the social aspects of VR with facebook are fantastic it's going to be a really great year in 2017 for VR.

Also on the note of VR their is a new GearVR for samsung phones and daydream for the new Google Pixel which shouldn't be confused with google cardboard.

Also Oculus showed off a wireless headset they are working on which uses inside out tracking and a small PC/Android stick so you can have positional tracking without any external sensors so you could slap it on a user in a warehouse and they could move about like they would in real life and be able to crouch and everything a real FPS (movement in real world while in a virtual world) could become much easier :)

Also the PSVR is great at what it does but it's still between the Gearvr and rift/vive hence the display isn't as great and can be somewhat blurry compared to Vive and Rift.

Still a great system and very nice games well worth checking out :)

Also on Eve Valkyrie for all Rift users most people turn up the settings which makes it look very nice and crisp but revive won't allow it I believe so it would look worse although the default looks a tad meh too but upping the settings is fantastic but the game can make you feel a bit sick because of the fast action but the great thing is if you keep playing each day for a few weeks and stopping when you feel sick your body will get use to it and you won't have issues. People have fixed their car sickness because they kept going back into VR after feeling sick and their body adjusts same happened with me. I used the Rift DK1 and got sick after 10mins in minecraft and kept playing each day and it fixed my car sickness which i've had since a kid.

VR is going strong and with the new motion controllers from oculus (Finger tracking and natural feel with hand presence in VR) we are in for a really fun time :)

Also with the announcement of a few big players making VR films and Disney jumping on board as well I think we won't even know how awesome the next few years will be with VR

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2016, 10:10:58 am »
Oculus has created ASW (asynchronous space warp) which is an improvement on AST (asynchronous time warp) (Vive dosen't use any of these hence jitter sometimes in games and useless on hardware not powerful enough but they said they are working on a similar AST so that should help.
It's called reprojection in Vive and it is essentially the same thing and has been out since day 1.  The downside is once it kicks in, it will seldom kick back to the full 90fps until you exit the game or can maintain 90fps for long periods of time.  And unless you set it to be on all the time, you will get a disorienting flicker when it kicks in.

The problem is, at 45fps, tracking resolution is FAR worse, regardless of platform.  All these processes will fill in the missed frames with calculated frames to try to smooth it out, which doesn't work when it doesn't predict where you are moving.  This creates ghosting and while it doesn't make you motion sick, it is far less than ideal.  In either case, if you can't maintain 45fps, things get ugly fast.  and 45 fps at what is just over QHD is not easy to maintain for cheaper cards unless the game developers plan for it and can remove features and resolution to maintain the lower FPS.  Eventually everyone will figure out how to get these to run well with the most basic gaming video cards but the cost will be high in terms of quality and experience, and the gap from the low end to the high end will be as big as it was in the days of old.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2016, 11:48:19 am »
My buddy has one in his man cave/computer room... he always asks me to go try it... but I am afraid he just uses it for porn... I mean how do you clean up after????
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2016, 09:06:56 pm »
The vive has sold 140,000 units so far (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-10-20-htc-vive-has-sold-more-than-140-000-units-report)

Just to clarify this, the original language version was reportedly that they'd sold "a lot more" than 140,000 Vives.  We still don't have a real number, but it's presumably well in excess of that.

Also, Steamspy is reporting over 150k users of Tilt Brush, which is relevant because it's bundled with the Vive in most but not all regions (i.e. China).

And then there's the Steam h/w results which are reporting 0.19% of Steam users have a Vive.  Which assuming at least 125M Steam users, that translates into over 230,000 having a Vive.

At this point no idea how many Vive's are out there, but the real number is likely somewhere in and around those figures.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2016, 10:18:47 pm »
Which I think is a reasonable number thus far.  Unfortunately that isn't enough to ensure games.  Let's say you want to release a game on steam.... would you design it for 125 million potential users, whom only a fraction will buy your game, or a mere 230k, which again only a fraction will be interested in?  There is a market to be exploited but developers aren't going to invest a lot of money in it and thus AAA titles aren't going to be plentiful. 

NiN^_^NiN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2016, 07:46:20 pm »
It's called reprojection in Vive and it is essentially the same thing and has been out since day 1.

Actually it's not the same thing and it's why you get flicker and judder it doesn't happen for the Rift or PSVR that's why Valve have said they are working on a version of ATW.

The main issue is Reprojection kicks in after it drops so it introduces visual artifacts, double image blur on moving objects and squashes software IPD which can cause sickness and a few other issues it's why they are working on their own ATW

Also it's 45hz not fps here's a quick breakdown

Asynchronous Time Warp: https://developer.oculus.com/blog/asynchronous-timewarp-on-oculus-rift/

With ATW each frame is rendered for the left and right eyes and is processed by ATW before it is displayed. If the rendering is complete it is displayed as synchronous timewarp, but if not and a frame misses the VSync deadline then the previous render is reprojected, shifted for position.

Interleaved Reprojection: https://steamcommunity.com/app/358720/discussions/0/385429254937377076/

With SteamVR's Interleaved Reprojection if either the CPU or GPU get too close to using up the available frame time then the compositor will drop into half-time mode where every other frame is reprojected. The result is that the game will be updating at 45hz instead of the normal 90hz.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2016, 07:34:26 pm »
Microsoft has now officially announced new VR headsets for Windows 10:

Microsoft’s partners will ship a new line of virtual reality headsets to take advantage of Windows 10’s VR and holographic capabilities. At today’s event, Microsoft said that the headsets will start at $299 and will include inside-out tracking sensors, obviating the need for external cameras or laser systems like those on the current Oculus Rift or HTC Vive. HP, Dell, Lenovo, Asus, and Acer are all listed as partners.
-   http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/26/13418156/microsoft-windows-10-holographic-virtual-reality-headset-announced-price

Sounds like there may be multiple price points on these and no idea what sort of specs we could be looking at.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2016, 10:36:20 pm »
Yeah this is a game changer.  Remember how m$ unified pc gaming with directX and later on with the xbox 360 gamepads and xinput.  If supporting a VR headset becomes as simple as a few lines of code then it means anyone can cheaply and easily make their game a VR game and a unified framework means that anyone can manufacture a headset.... so cheap Chinese knock-offs and lower end models from discount monitor companies will keep the price of the hardware down.  You will still see very few games purpose built for VR, but at least there will be games. 

NiN^_^NiN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2016, 09:02:53 pm »
Yeah this is a game changer.  Remember how m$ unified pc gaming with directX and later on with the xbox 360 gamepads and xinput.  If supporting a VR headset becomes as simple as a few lines of code then it means anyone can cheaply and easily make their game a VR game and a unified framework means that anyone can manufacture a headset.... so cheap Chinese knock-offs and lower end models from discount monitor companies will keep the price of the hardware down.  You will still see very few games purpose built for VR, but at least there will be games.

I like that there is more headsets out but I am worried how well these ones would work compared to the VIVE and Rift it's a shame their "demo" was pre-recorded footage and not real but that seems to be common for MS demos lately.

I am actually worried about there being a Direct X VR api at this point it's way to early I believe and the hardware and they way it functions is varied currently but then again these headsets might be released late next year.

As for ease of use to make a game the two main game engines have voth VIVE and Rift built in you don't even need to do anything in UE4 (Unreal Engine) and Unity and a lot of the smaller game engines ones already have modules as well for VR so it's not really an issue.

UE4 has a great solution of full screen can enter VR mode if it's hooked up or stay full screen if it isn't it just works and you can tick an option to not start VR when full screen they have integrated it quite nicely especially when it comes to motion controllers.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2016, 10:24:54 pm »
Third party apis don't really mean anything in windows land.  Many developers outright refuse to use third party dlls or apis. 

UR4 support of course is a step in the right direction, but VR won't truly be integrated until directX and/or open GL have native VR support.  Of course support in those toolsets means that support would be scalable, just like you can use a crappy video card or a brand new one to play the same game.  Remember that all VR amounts to is the same scene rendered at two viewpoints and a camera moveable via head tracking.  It should be fairly simple to make that universal. 

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #108 on: October 31, 2016, 07:41:38 pm »
Was playing the Vive last night and realized that my VR game library is already at 50 games. It seems like every few days Steam has new games up. Usually they are  free quick demos or actual games (Small games) but usually under 5-10 bucks. Been playing some Horror games..... Fun to watch people play until you have to put the headset on.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2016, 08:33:44 pm »
I just got through playing Accounting. It took me by total surprise, it was voiced by the guys that do the Rick and Morty cartoons. If you have a Vive you have to play it next, its also free!

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2016, 09:00:55 pm »
I actually have that but haven't played it yet. Will check it out tonight.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2016, 09:08:21 pm »
I just got through playing Accounting. It took me by total surprise, it was voiced by the guys that do the Rick and Morty cartoons. If you have a Vive you have to play it next, its also free!

Accounting was weird and awesome.  Was not prepared for the level of weirdness.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2016, 09:09:37 pm »
Was playing the Vive last night and realized that my VR game library is already at 50 games. It seems like every few days Steam has new games up.

Same.  I've managed to amass quite a backlog of VR titles.  I was worried I wouldn't have enough, but now I have too many! 

Been playing some Horror games..... Fun to watch people play until you have to put the headset on.

Horror in VR is something else.  It's a level of fear I didn't think possible.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2016, 09:05:53 pm »
Over at Reddit I posted a six month retrospective on my experience owning and using the Vive.

It's a bit long, but in summary it was completely worth the purchase price. With a couple exceptions, all my gaming in the past 6 months has been in VR.

While the initial novelty of VR has worn off--I no longer stand in dumbstruck amazement after putting on the headset--the level of immersion hasn't.  Experiences are still as compelling as they were when I first got the Vive.

Physical, room-scale gaming has it's upsides and downsides.  Ambient temperature is my greatest nemesis; using the Vive when overheating and sweating can be uncomfortable.  But the trade-off to be able to fully experience a video game like never before is more than worth it.

Overall, very happy with the Vive and eager to see where VR goes next.

jtslade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2023, 11:34:45 am
  • Keep it looking originallish!
« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2016, 09:38:33 pm »
Good to hear! I'll read your post tomorrow at work..

I had 5 minutes in a VIve and it sold me.. Just gotta figure out the PC upgrade and space issue
Ms. Pacman Original Cocktail with Non destructive mod to Groovy Arcade Linux with All 4way Vertical Cocktail capable 2 button or less games.

Neo Geo MVS Mame Cab Running Hyperspin, 25" Nanao Arcade Monitor, Mini-pac, ATI Radeon HD 4850 (ATOM-15), IL 8 Way Euro-Sticks from Paradise Arcade, Win XP 64bit, and tons of other junk.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2016, 10:48:20 am »
I was traveling for several weeks and super busy at work in between, so I didn't play for almost 6 weeks in a row.  It was amazement all over when I finally got time to don the HMD again...  Just the updates to existing games keeps me busy enough to not need to buy anything new.  All the new stuff in Space Pirate Trainer alone has occupied most of my free time, and Brookhaven has gotten that much better too.  I want to get back to Island 359 again, but who has the time to hunt dinosaurs these days??

It only takes 20-30 minutes of play to be surprised when I remove the HMD and snap back to the reality of my small computer office.  Those walls weren't there a minute ago...

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2016, 08:44:41 pm »
New coolest VR experience ever: Google Earth VR.

If you've got a Vive, definitely grab it.  Best part, it's free!  ;D

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2016, 10:19:08 pm »
I was traveling for several weeks and super busy at work in between, so I didn't play for almost 6 weeks in a row.  It was amazement all over when I finally got time to don the HMD again...

Even though I haven't gone that long without Vive use, I have gone up to a week or so, and I'm always surprised at how amazing VR still is when I dive back into it.

Especially since the immersion hasn't worn off.  Playing Raw Data recently, I still get freaked out when enemy robots sneak up on me and still get occasional moments of sheer panic in that game.  It's great, I love it!  ;D

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #118 on: December 13, 2016, 01:24:16 am »
Thought I would report the first multiplayer VR game that I find genuinely fun; Smashbox Arena. This is like my forth arena type of game I have tried, they finally got the teleportation done right.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/530350/

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2017, 04:45:45 pm »
Well I took the plunge and treated myself to a PSVR setup today.

Wont get it until next week sometime but ime pretty excited and cant wait to play RE7 in VR!

Ive been holding off as I wanted to wait for some real reviews from actual gamers before dropping the cash, but I have seen nothing bad so thought I would take the plunge.

Ile let you know How I get on when it comes :D