Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing  (Read 230183 times)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing
« Reply #880 on: February 11, 2019, 04:53:37 pm »
Tetris Effect doing a free demo on PS4 right now.  I guess if you didn't play Tetris to death in 1989 it's cool, I don't think it's a $30 game by any stretch of the imagination.

fallacy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #881 on: February 23, 2019, 01:49:29 pm »
I just started playing around with the player made sons and level designs in Beat Saber, witch has put so much more life into the game. I feel  a lot are even better than the ones that came with the game.

Rick & Morty - Get Swifty is a great example

Pure Imagination was great level design.

Gillette has a good beat and flow.

It's pretty easy all you do is download an app and inside the game if gives you an option to instantly download hundreds of different songs and maps. Sorry PSVR

mimic

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:58:45 pm
« Reply #882 on: March 09, 2019, 12:46:43 am »
 Uh-oh. Even Nintendo.... https://www.roadtovr.com/nintendo-switch-vr-labo-kit-announcement-april-release/
Ooopsie Mr malcontent. Now what?

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #883 on: March 11, 2019, 12:24:03 am »
No, if they can make a cardboard controllers that go around your feet and hands where you play as a robot destroying a city than there is no reason they can't also throw together a google cardboard and some crappy games.

Nintendo will get into VR when the technology is cheap and light enough. They will then produce their own headset that is way less powerful than everyone else's; but that's ok because  they will make there own Astro Bot like games with Mario and everyone will buy it. Until then Nintendo is not touching VR.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #884 on: March 11, 2019, 10:43:09 pm »
??
Did you look at the link?  Nintendo IS doing VR... it'll be released before Easter I believe. 

Now it's a labo kit, so atm we don't know if it'll be just a specific game or if they'll start adding support for additional games.  VR code was found in the last system update so that makes me hopeful that it'll be more than just a labo one off. 

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #885 on: March 11, 2019, 11:07:26 pm »
That's not VR, that is a VR hack. Google cardboard came out within like 3 month of the DK1. Nintendo decided they want to go into the cardboard game so why it has taken this long to come out with the oldest cardboard trick that you can do with a phone tablet is the real question.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #886 on: March 11, 2019, 11:55:18 pm »
It's not a hack at all.  Comes with lenses like google cardboard so it's not a hack.  You might not like it, but it's not a hack. 

It's taken them so long because, unlike other companies they understand that the software is the most important part.

mimic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #887 on: March 12, 2019, 12:49:10 pm »
My point was that Casto was so against it, calling it a gimmick and yet even Nintendo is dipping their toes. VR is the FUTURE baby!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #888 on: March 12, 2019, 01:39:10 pm »
Beat Saber looks so ---fracking--- dumb.  I say this as someone with commercial DDR pads.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #889 on: March 12, 2019, 10:27:52 pm »
Have yet to have anyone over to try VR that does not love Beat Saber; young, old, man or woman. It also plays really well never dropping below 90 FPS.

surtr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2019, 07:52:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #890 on: March 13, 2019, 12:04:19 am »
My daughter and I have spent countless hours questing together in rec room.  I guess it's not really countless; I just fired up Oculus on my laptop and it says I've played 104 hours on there.  Anyway, it hasn't gotten old yet...

VR is a blast.  I've been working on writing a minigame for VR -- first person game where you pilot a paper airplane around shooting paperclips at stuff.  If I ever get it to a reasonably playable level I'll just drop it out there for free.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #891 on: March 29, 2019, 11:01:23 pm »
Looks like the long-rumored Valve VR headset is going to be a thing: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/valve_index/

Given the disappointment around the recent Rift S announcement, one hopes this one will be more promising.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #892 on: March 30, 2019, 12:12:25 am »
I have given up all hope on humanity. No but a part of me thinks the rift and vive came out before their time. Especially the vive, I mean do you remember what it was like getting the full motion control room scale right out of the box having never seen anything like it before and it all worked pretty flawlessly, just requiring the best graphics card on the market. They have just been  trying to make it more accessible, less cost, and less friction for everyone else to get into it ever since.

I think foveated rendering technology is the key to move onto stage two of VR. It will allow less powerful hardware to render bigger scenes. Until that gets locked down it will just be a lot of spinning wheels with these HANDs that come out.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 12:20:31 am by fallacy »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #893 on: March 30, 2019, 10:49:47 pm »
Their real website isn’t working, but I saw a demo of these on Wednesday.

https://www.linkedin.com/company/fluiditytech/

They think it’ll be huge for VR control.  Reminds me of that crummy 3rd party Epyx controller that every system in the 80s had.  Anyway, always neat to see an astronaut.

:cheers:

EDIT: website working today:

https://fluidity.tech/
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 01:03:22 pm by pbj »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #894 on: April 02, 2019, 01:06:05 pm »
No Man's Sky getting a free VR update

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/2/18285578/no-mans-sky-vr-preview-sean-murray-interview

I paid like $10 for this game right after they did the big update.  Didn't seem like a whole lot of game there.

:dunno

SammyWI

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm
« Reply #895 on: May 05, 2019, 10:09:27 am »
If anyone is looking for an arcadeish on rails shooter done in VR, check out Overkill VR.  It's on sale for $10 right now.  Only played a few minutes but it seems fun.  Has a duck and cover gameplay that feels Time Crisis inspired.  Weapons mods done between missions.  Enemys are dumb as a stump so it feels very old school!  Seems worth my $10.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:04:24 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #896 on: May 13, 2019, 11:14:14 am »
I ordered the Valve index and knuckles when it first opened orders. Will let you know my thoughts next month when it ships.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #897 on: May 14, 2019, 11:13:03 pm »
I can't believe they sold out in 6 minutes  :banghead: No one is willing to spend that much on an HMD ---my bottom---. I better not have to wait any longer than a month after launch.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #898 on: May 16, 2019, 09:13:18 am »
How much room do you need for a headset in the house?  I'm thinking about getting the Vive once there is a wireless option but it seems like I need a large amount of space to play, which I don't have.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #899 on: May 16, 2019, 10:22:45 am »
you don't need much maybe 6 by 6 but if you you take one step swing your hand and hit something that is not enough space. Don't buy a vive now when the index is coming in a few months. Better yet just buy the Oculus Quest next month or if you want PC vr buy a Rift S. You will not have to place sensors around your room with those and they require less pc hardware. The index is for VR enthusiast.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #900 on: May 19, 2019, 10:09:31 pm »
How much room do you need for a headset in the house?  I'm thinking about getting the Vive once there is a wireless option but it seems like I need a large amount of space to play, which I don't have.

It really depends on what you will be playing. Some games can be fine in either seated or standing room only, while others (particularly anything involving melee combat), you'll want more space.

Generally if you have enough room to swing your arms around and not hit anything, you should be good for a lot of games.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #901 on: May 19, 2019, 10:25:17 pm »
I can't believe they sold out in 6 minutes  :banghead: No one is willing to spend that much on an HMD ---my bottom---. I better not have to wait any longer than a month after launch.

And that's just within the U.S. and EU. Anyone outside of those regions was SOL.

I figure it could be late 2019 or even 2020 before this thing arrives in Canada.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 10:27:20 pm by shponglefan »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #902 on: June 23, 2019, 09:59:38 pm »
The Psychonauts psvr game is fun and on sale.

mimic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #903 on: June 30, 2019, 08:48:38 am »
So, anyone purchased Valve Index? Any first impressions comparing to your old headset?

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #904 on: July 01, 2019, 05:27:48 pm »
So, anyone purchased Valve Index? Any first impressions comparing to your old headset?

Had a few sessions with mine. Not blown away as much as I thought I was going to be. Visuals seem to be identical... I am sure its better in some ways but not enough for ME to notice. The controllers are nice, I like the actual analog sticks. The finger tracking is pure dog ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---. For simple grab and throw stuff it works most of the time but if you are trying to move each finger individually you need to find the perfect sweet spot which is usually uncomfortable. I am still tweaking the steamvr settings, need to check out the higher frame rate options still. But my first impressions is a solid "meh"

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #905 on: July 01, 2019, 10:09:36 pm »
compared to what, the vive? It is suppose to be better in every-way. You did not even mention the improvment to the FOV that is better than every other headset.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #906 on: July 13, 2019, 09:37:37 pm »

I wanted to but Valve no likely Canada.

Meanwhile, the Index subreddit has been full of people complaining about controller issues (mainly the fact the trackpad doesn't click when moved).

At this point I'm half tempted to just buy a Vive Pro.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 09:41:57 pm by shponglefan »

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #907 on: July 31, 2019, 12:24:15 am »
My index came in playing around with it a few days. I don't know its an upgrade but in other ways it feels like it is not. The biggest problem I am having is getting the sweet spot right on your face; you are always having to mess with it on your head trying to adjust and it never feels quite right. This was never a problem with the rift and barely a problem with the vive. As far as a bigger FOV I am just not really seeing it compared to the vive. It can look clearer but at the same time…. Index is a hard headset to review maybe you just need more time with it to adjust to all it little crap factors.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #908 on: August 01, 2019, 12:57:03 am »
so in your VR steam home you can download a lot of player made environments right in vr and load them up and explore them in VR. So looking around there was a Stormwind WOW environment on the front page. I loaded it up and OMFG its amazing! If you asked me before about getting WoW into VR I would have been like not only do you have to change and re-program the whole game for VR but the textures and everything would not be high enough for VR… No it looks freaking fantastic in the index. The colors are so bright and vivid, the textures may be flat but it just makes it look stylized. They have alot of the music and background sound playing which also sounds awesome in the index headphones. WoW in VR needs to happen there is no two ways about it now. The amount of potential here is off the charts.

mimic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #909 on: August 03, 2019, 04:30:14 pm »
I think. I might skip Index and Rift S. On the fence about the Pimax. The wider view is really appealing to me. I'd hope next generation should have all that and then some!?
Got used to my Odyssey+ minus the comfort which still sucks.
Trover Saves the Universe is great so far. It just not the same on flat screen!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 04:31:48 pm by mimic »

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #910 on: August 04, 2019, 04:27:58 pm »
compared to what, the vive? It is suppose to be better in every-way. You did not even mention the improvment to the FOV that is better than every other headset.

I cant get the full "Extra" FOV, without the lenses pressing against my eyebrows. I have the original Vive and when I adjust it closer to my face I would feel my eye lashes hit before my brows. I think its the whole 5 degree angle they decided to go with.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #911 on: August 04, 2019, 06:42:57 pm »
ya I don't think it has any more hozinatal FOV than the vive pressed up to your face but there does seem to be a little more vertical FOV on the index which is nice. The more I get used to the headset the better it is getting. It is a definitely an upgrade over the OG rift and vive and I am glade I bought it.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #912 on: August 15, 2019, 12:41:21 am »
No Man’s Sky with the VR update is finally the game it should have been.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #913 on: August 16, 2019, 12:30:19 pm »
And they've released a patch that should clear up some of the bugs.  Anytime I walked, I was hearing this loud intermittent clunking sound behind me.  Was headache inducing to the point I was either going to have to disable sound effects or quit playing.  Decided to turn it off and wait a day or two.

I'll fire it up again tonight, but I'm reading they fixed that problem. 

Seriously check this one out if you've got this game laying around already.  It may rival Skyrim in my book.

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #914 on: August 16, 2019, 02:55:18 pm »
No Mans Sky is 50% off right now on steam, and I agree the VR update is amazing. It does feel like a VR title built from the ground up.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #915 on: August 16, 2019, 03:24:55 pm »
I bought it in that sweet spot when everyone was pissed off and right before the first major update was available for download.  $7 shipped for a sealed copy?  Something like that.   :lol

Decided I'd disable the wifi and try it "as released" and it was a seriously incomplete game.   The fall 2016 update helped but there still wasn't a whole ton of game there.  I hadn't played my copy since December 2016.

But, man, flying a space ship, deciding to land on a planet, landing, hopping out of the ship, and chasing porcupine beavers around with a ray gun is the kind of thing I could only dream of in the 90s.  All it needs is space hookers and blackjack and we've reached the peak of civilization.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #916 on: August 20, 2019, 01:04:51 am »
The loud clunk noise and white circle problem persists, but using the Moves makes it all go away.  The sound effect appears to be what your hear when switching from DS4 to the Moves, which is inoffensive occasionally but maddening every 2-5 seconds.  I tried every permutation of booting with Moves, turning on DS4, booting with DS4, switching to Moves, turning off DS4, turning them back on... nothing makes it go away besides using Moves.

Good news is that the game works really well with the Moves.

Also had 1 crash and now it’s telling me something like tut_generatorpower_1 instead of telling me what I need to do next.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #917 on: September 08, 2019, 01:52:52 pm »
I bought the oculus quest and it’s pretty cool, a lot better than I would have thought. I also did the mod to put the Vive delux head strap on to it to fix the audio and comfort. I noticed the quest is basically the exact same size shape and weight as the original vive.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #918 on: October 10, 2019, 12:30:46 am »
10GB update and No Mans Sky still has the white circle and clunk sound.  I’m getting better with the Moves but still wish I could use DualShock.

The Blood and Truth demo is amazing.  Waiting on that game to get cheap during holiday sales.

mimic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #919 on: October 10, 2019, 09:33:32 pm »
Curious who  after all "those" years still using their VR on a consistent basis?
I seriously can't get enough! It used to be split between flat gaming and retro, but VR seriously cut into retro and pretty much killed flat. Can't wait how VR will look a decade from now.
Playing Skyrim VR right now. What I noticed is how different I play the same game in VR vs flat. Flat it was always brute approach, now it's all about sneaking and sniping and some magic.
Want to play NMS but it stutters badly for me! I think I'm going to build new computer soon, just so I can play it right.
I'm eyeing Index, but I'll probably skip the current Gen of VR sets like Index, Rift S, Cosmos (seem like a joke).... Quest. Would love to try Pimax for the widescreen, but it looks like constant tweakfest.

pbj you look totally convinced/converted comparing to early days of being a total malcontent!