Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing  (Read 230078 times)

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing
« Reply #600 on: December 15, 2017, 10:24:19 pm »
Costume persecution lenses?

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #601 on: December 15, 2017, 11:00:00 pm »
there is no difference between the vive and the rift design to accommodate glasses so you should be good than  :dunno

The Vive's lenses have distance adjustment to move the lenses away from the eyes.  AFAIK, the Rift doesn't have that option.  The Vive also seems to offer a bit more room width-wise for glasses compared to the Rift.

At any rate, this is just mainly based on the general research and what seems to be a common thread from glasses users who have tried both headsets.

As an example:

orion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 03:58:03 pm
« Reply #602 on: December 16, 2017, 02:32:42 pm »
Don't have a reference for the Rift, but I hear that the "god rays" are worse than the Vive.  Given that the Vive is worse than the Odyssey, I'm not sure I could tolerate the Rift.  The PSVR is really the best of the bunch where optics are concerned.  Revive seems to work well with the Odyssey.  The new Oculus "home" looks pretty nice (from the videos), but I personally don't care much about about the launcher app.  I strap the gear to my head to play games, and the less "fluff" before I get to that point, the better.  The simple SteamVR floating window is lightweight, and gets the job done.

The only comfort issue I've had with the Vive is when my headphones rest on the cables, which eventually starts hurting the top of my head. Otherwise, it's what I would expect from having something strapped to your face.  The PSVR is better in this department as well, with the Odyssey being somewhere in the middle.

As for the Pimax, from what I have read, it's rendering at close to the WMR native resolution, and stretching the outer edges.  It's an interesting approach to the processing bottleneck. The expanded FOV sounds intriguing, but I am still a bit skeptical that the image distortion won't bring with it some nasty side effects for the user.

I don't see much higher actual resolutions being viable any time soon, due to processing bottlenecks.  Google is now talking about 20 megapixel per eye displays, which are a pipe dream with nothing capable of driving them.  Even if they could upscale lower-res content fast enough, it seems like it would only be an expensive cure for SDE.

I have only tried a vibe with steam VR and don't know a lot about VR gaming. Part of my job however is creating Virtual tours, with stitched 360 panoramic pictures I take and 360 video. I know that 20mp per eye sounds crazy and would be somewhere around 6K per display, which some VR headsets can do. I don't know how the VR games are currently rendering and processing things, but what your describing for Pimax sounds kind of similar to me to some approaches that are being looked at to stream 360 video. It's all interesting stuff that's for sure.

https://code.facebook.com/posts/1126354007399553/next-generation-video-encoding-techniques-for-360-video-and-vr/

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #603 on: December 17, 2017, 11:24:09 am »
I know that 20mp per eye sounds crazy and would be somewhere around 6K per display, which some VR headsets can do. I don't know how the VR games are currently rendering and processing things, but what your describing for Pimax sounds kind of similar to me to some approaches that are being looked at to stream 360 video. It's all interesting stuff that's for sure.

I think you may be confusing the gross pixel counts for 360 video, with display resolutions.  With 360 video, you only need to be concerned about the portion being sent to the headset, and even that is mostly pre-rendered.  The main challenge is the streaming of all of that data so it's there waiting to be dumped to the headset displays when needed.  I think the only 6K VR headsets are prototypes sitting in an R&D lab somewhere, with video being about the only thing which they are (currently) usable with.

orion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 03:58:03 pm
« Reply #604 on: December 17, 2017, 05:45:26 pm »
I know that 20mp per eye sounds crazy and would be somewhere around 6K per display, which some VR headsets can do. I don't know how the VR games are currently rendering and processing things, but what your describing for Pimax sounds kind of similar to me to some approaches that are being looked at to stream 360 video. It's all interesting stuff that's for sure.

I think you may be confusing the gross pixel counts for 360 video, with display resolutions.  With 360 video, you only need to be concerned about the portion being sent to the headset, and even that is mostly pre-rendered.  The main challenge is the streaming of all of that data so it's there waiting to be dumped to the headset displays when needed.  I think the only 6K VR headsets are prototypes sitting in an R&D lab somewhere, with video being about the only thing which they are (currently) usable with.

Your right, I was confusing the pixel counts with display resolutions, I generally don't hear display resolutions described in terms of MP's. I deal mainly with sensors and glass, not displays. I also see the added difficulty with VR games, as it's being rendered on the fly.

mimic

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:58:45 pm
« Reply #605 on: December 19, 2017, 01:22:10 pm »

I now own a Vive, a Samsung Odyssey and the PSVR.

Wait... WHAT!?  :o From anti VR stance to a full convert! Welcome to the TRUE gamers club  ;D

Did you try Super HOT yet (what your opinion on that)? Btw Serious Sam VR series and Talos principle REALLY well done VR remakes for "only" $50! 5 games for ~$10 each, it's a real steal if you're into that type of games, highly recommended!

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #606 on: December 19, 2017, 03:25:54 pm »
Wait... WHAT!?  :o From anti VR stance to a full convert! Welcome to the TRUE gamers club  ;D

Did you try Super HOT yet (what your opinion on that)? Btw Serious Sam VR series and Talos principle REALLY well done VR remakes for "only" $50! 5 games for ~$10 each, it's a real steal if you're into that type of games, highly recommended!

I don't believe I was ever actually "anti VR".   I just pointed out the hurdles it has to becoming mainstream, some of which are starting to erode.  At this point, it is what early computer/video gaming once was, and at some point in the future, I believe it will have the same level of adoption and technical sophistication as current video gaming has now.

Super HOT was one of the first titles I tried on the PC.  It was strange at first, but quickly became a favorite.  Even caught myself from falling a couple of times when I tried to stabilize myself against some of the (non-existent) scenery parts.

Bought Serious Sam 3: BFE shortly thereafter.   One of the best "Doom" style games in VR. 

Have been playing a bit of the free Echo Arena game through Revive on the Odyssey.  Absolutely amazing.

Also, Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2 with VR and a proper driving rig will make you not want to race any other way.

And I can't forget BAMVR with Future Pinball.  Some tables are a little too intense for VR, as FP isn't optimized well, but most play very well.  I believe that VR is the future of pinball.  So much so, that I have all but lost interest in building a 2D monitor based pinball machine.  I imagine I still will build something, but only as a means to control what I see in VR with force feedback type effects, without the large monitor and backglass.

mimic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #607 on: December 19, 2017, 09:41:17 pm »
I don't believe I was ever actually "anti VR".   I just pointed out the hurdles it has to becoming mainstream, some of which are starting to erode. 

I was kind of getting the vibe you are siding with the 3D TV and "novelty" crowd, I'm glad I misunderstood! Good to have an established member siding with the VR crowd.

Did you have the chance to try H3VR (Hot dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades) yet? If so what did you think about the physics, realism? (No hands sucks for me)

EDIT: Thanks for the heads up regarding BAM VR. I had no idea there is anything else in pinball besides Pinball FX2 VR, which is absolutely awesome!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 09:48:18 pm by mimic »

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #608 on: December 20, 2017, 12:03:03 am »
Pinball in VR: Zaccaria is pretty good in VR, lots of tables and when on sale, pretty cheap.  Lot's of people don't like their DLC model. It's confusing (platinum err...) but once you "get" it, a pretty good deal (new tables are less then 2 bucks each).  Zaccaria tables are not the best in real life (late EM's or early SS's) but I think they are fun.  Word of warning: VR does require a DLC purchase, this is a flaw in their model but again, I think it's worth it.

Pinball being the future of VR: Possibly correct, though the social aspect of Pinball means my pincab will keep getting a lot of play for years to come (especially with more recent advances in reducing lag with VPX).  In saying that, the lag aspect is the biggest draw for VR so far, because, well, there just isn't any lag in VR!  I believe it has to do with VR using low persistant displays.  Big difference easily noticeable.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #609 on: December 22, 2017, 01:14:35 pm »
PSVR down to $179 at Walmart....

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #610 on: December 22, 2017, 02:40:23 pm »
PSVR down to $179 at Walmart....

Go on PBJ... Join the dark side ;)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #611 on: December 22, 2017, 03:00:27 pm »
Cthulhu is the dark side.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #612 on: December 22, 2017, 03:14:27 pm »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #613 on: January 03, 2018, 07:55:33 pm »
Oshit waddup

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #614 on: January 03, 2018, 07:58:58 pm »
Dayum! Those dumpster dives are really paying off!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #615 on: January 03, 2018, 08:11:51 pm »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #616 on: January 04, 2018, 12:40:33 am »
It was a gift.  Unfortunately it’s the “why do they even sell this” version without the camera... so now I’m on the hunt for a camera.  Still pretty pumped.  Would have been nice if Sony would have at least let me use it like a tv screen.  Soon....

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #617 on: January 04, 2018, 12:59:39 am »
lolwut

I thought all of them came with the camera and a game. what are you supposed to with JUST the headset ???

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #618 on: January 04, 2018, 01:00:55 am »
Pretend to be excited and cry on the inside.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:04:24 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #619 on: January 04, 2018, 02:03:48 am »
so now I’m on the hunt for a camera.

I might be able to help you out with that. Sending PM.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #620 on: January 04, 2018, 03:51:40 am »
Yeah I dont get the logic of selling the head set only....

Get yaself some move controllers to if you aint got em.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #621 on: January 04, 2018, 01:11:44 pm »

I imagine it's for people who already own the camera.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #622 on: January 04, 2018, 01:27:55 pm »

I imagine it's for people who already own the camera.

Yeah but I dont think anyone uses the PS camera

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #623 on: January 04, 2018, 01:32:59 pm »
They sell the headset only version because they figured a bunch of PS4 owners already have the camera for some unknown reason.

PBJ: But yeah, like Titchgamer wrote, you'll want some move controllers as well.  You can use the DS4 for some games, but the Move controllers are better.

Also, an update on my buddy's kid who tried out mine a while back.  He's all in now, with the PSVR, Move controllers and the Farpoint gun bundle.  Looking forward to some Farpoint co-op now :)

I also just modded my racing rig with some Thrustmaster HOTAS controls.  I started playing with Elite Dangerous on the flat screen, just to familiarize myself with the controls and get set up.  Then I put on the Odyssey headset and was blown away.  It was an amazingly different experience which words can't adequately describe.  On the flat screen, I found myself struggling with the controls, but the feeling of sitting in the ship just made the maneuvers feel so natural that the controls just "clicked" in my head.  So much easier.  Being able to watch the ships out the windows by just moving your head, no matter where they happen to pass, makes the dogfights feel very real.   Utterly impressed by ED, and the price was ridiculously cheap (~$8 Winter sale!)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #624 on: January 04, 2018, 01:45:19 pm »
You paid for ED? Usually men pay money to prevent ED. ;D

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #625 on: January 04, 2018, 04:45:39 pm »
You paid for ED? Usually men pay money to prevent ED. ;D

Based on the amount of time some men put into the game, I'm not sure the end result of either would be different in that respect :)

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:04:24 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #626 on: January 04, 2018, 05:31:42 pm »
They sell the headset only version because they figured a bunch of PS4 owners already have the camera for some unknown reason.

PBJ: But yeah, like Titchgamer wrote, you'll want some move controllers as well.  You can use the DS4 for some games, but the Move controllers are better.

Also, an update on my buddy's kid who tried out mine a while back.  He's all in now, with the PSVR, Move controllers and the Farpoint gun bundle.  Looking forward to some Farpoint co-op now :)

I also just modded my racing rig with some Thrustmaster HOTAS controls.  I started playing with Elite Dangerous on the flat screen, just to familiarize myself with the controls and get set up.  Then I put on the Odyssey headset and was blown away.  It was an amazingly different experience which words can't adequately describe.  On the flat screen, I found myself struggling with the controls, but the feeling of sitting in the ship just made the maneuvers feel so natural that the controls just "clicked" in my head.  So much easier.  Being able to watch the ships out the windows by just moving your head, no matter where they happen to pass, makes the dogfights feel very real.   Utterly impressed by ED, and the price was ridiculously cheap (~$8 Winter sale!)

How is the performance playing Elite Dangerous and the Odyssey headset? With the Vive and a 1080 Ti card I was going nuts tweaking the settings trying to get a clear picture and still keeping 90 FPS.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #627 on: January 05, 2018, 11:21:02 am »
How is the performance playing Elite Dangerous and the Odyssey headset? With the Vive and a 1080 Ti card I was going nuts tweaking the settings trying to get a clear picture and still keeping 90 FPS.

I'm only using a 1070 and an i7-7700.  Performance seems fine while in the ship and during docking.  While in the bay I noticed a couple of stutters, but no show stoppers.  To be honest, I haven't tried to do any tweaking to see if it can be improved.  The Steam layer is still beta, so it's not yet perfect.

The added resolution of the Odyssey makes a big difference.  Text is very readable without insane levels of supersampling.  I think this is where the lower resolution headsets run into issues.  Supersampling can make the lower resolution displays more readable, but it requires way more graphics horsepower to do what a higher resolution display can do almost natively.  There are also some in game tweaks some users employ in ED to make text more readable on the pentile displays, such as changing the text color to green (more subpixels.)  But I haven't found the need to do that with the Odyssey.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #628 on: January 05, 2018, 02:53:56 pm »
HTC tweeted out a Vive teaser for CES 2018 that implies it might be getting a visual upgrade: https://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-teasing-vr-resolution-upgrade-ces-conference/

I'm hoping this means the possibility of better resolution and/or better lenses.  I guess we'll know in a few days...

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #629 on: January 08, 2018, 06:23:14 pm »
HTC tweeted out a Vive teaser for CES 2018 that implies it might be getting a visual upgrade: https://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-teasing-vr-resolution-upgrade-ces-conference/

I'm hoping this means the possibility of better resolution and/or better lenses.  I guess we'll know in a few days...
78% increase in resolution, up to 1400 x 1600 per eye now.  And built in headphones, a more comfortable system to keep it on your head, and dual cameras and mics in front.  There will be an option to just buy the HMU and use your existing lighthouses and controllers.  It will support 4 lighthouses though, and be fully backwards compatible. 

No mention of pixel spacing and potential reduction of the screen door effect though, something I think is just as important as a resolution increase, at least for gaming.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #630 on: January 08, 2018, 06:57:11 pm »
No mention of pixel spacing and potential reduction of the screen door effect though, something I think is just as important as a resolution increase, at least for gaming.

Since it's the same res as the Odyssey, I'd imagine the visual fidelity and SDE will be similar.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #631 on: January 09, 2018, 10:41:42 am »
Essentially, it's an Odyssey, with lighthouse tracking and front facing cameras which can be used for something other than tracking.

SDE is definitely very much improved.  Anyone who says it isn't, must be blind (and believe me, there have been a few Vive fanbois who take this position.)  But now that the Vive Pro has the same displays, I expect their views to change on the subject.

It's going to be a hard sell against the Odyssey if the price ends up being almost double, but I do consider the Pro to be the ultimate home VR setup.  Given that I already own a Vive, if someone came up with a way to attach a Vive Tracker to the Odyssey HMD, it would be pretty much the same system.

EDIT:  It has supposedly been confirmed that the Pro still uses the same lenses as the original Vive.  If this is true, the Odyssey could still have a visual edge, as there is considerably less "god ray" effect on the Odyssey.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 11:12:19 am by RandyT »

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #632 on: January 09, 2018, 11:40:12 am »
Kinda disappointing if they are using the same lenses as the original Vive.  While not a deal-breaker, having to put up with the same level of god-rays is unfortunate.

I've also been reading mixed information on whether or not the headphones are removable.  The Vive Pro page says they are, but there's a RoadToVR article that claims they are permanently attached.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 11:43:24 am by shponglefan »

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
« Reply #633 on: January 09, 2018, 12:21:35 pm »
yes and there are some that state the lenses are different, while roadtovr state it was confirmed it's the same lenses. Who's right?  We will find out soon enough I guess.

Certainly the price point will determine if I'm upgrading the HMD.  I dunno, I'd pay $399 USD for the HMD on its own but I suspect it will be $499.

mimic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #634 on: January 09, 2018, 09:00:42 pm »
Personally I am waiting to see if the Pimax 8K will pan out to be the real deal. I don't care if it looks like a hammerhead shark, I need bigger FOV! No SDE will be a nice bonus as well, if by then knuckles will get released and it has good reviews, I'll sell my Rift!

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #635 on: January 09, 2018, 09:36:52 pm »
Certainly the price point will determine if I'm upgrading the HMD.  I dunno, I'd pay $399 USD for the HMD on its own but I suspect it will be $499.

Considering the sticker shock that happened the first time 'round, I wouldn't be surprised if this thing lists potentially as high as $999.

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
« Reply #636 on: January 09, 2018, 11:12:15 pm »
Someone on Reddit reported they saw a listing equivalent to “$1200” USD.  I guess they mean Pro as in iPad Pro, so bigger and more expensive.  Even if they mean the bundle with lighthouse 2.0 and controllers that probably means the hmd on its own will sellfor what, $700?  All together now “F-DAT”

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #637 on: January 11, 2018, 11:30:58 am »
Resident Evil 7 been collecting dust for days... Playstation camera supposed to arrive today...  I've been vibrating for a week.   ;D 

Having watched Ebay for a few days, I've found the Playstation Move Motion controllers tend to be cheaper if you buy them singly as part of a bundle with a PS3 game.  Supposedly I got some NOS controller with a PS3 camera and game I don't want for $25 shipped.... We'll see what actually arrives.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #638 on: January 11, 2018, 12:25:54 pm »
Someone on Reddit reported they saw a listing equivalent to “$1200” USD.  I guess they mean Pro as in iPad Pro, so bigger and more expensive.  Even if they mean the bundle with lighthouse 2.0 and controllers that probably means the hmd on its own will sellfor what, $700?  All together now “F-DAT”

Estimates seem to be all over the map.  One report claimed the headset would sell standalone for $349 USD.  Meanwhile, other e-tailers have been putting in placeholder prices of ~$1000 USD or so when listing it on their sites.

Guess we'll find out in time...

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
Q
« Reply #639 on: January 11, 2018, 01:49:53 pm »
If they are expecting to ship Q1 (end of March), then I suspect we will get the chance to pre-order before the end of this month.  If it's $350, I'm in.  To be honest, if it's less than $500 USD, I'm probably in.  I'm hopeless...