Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing  (Read 228941 times)

ark_ader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
Re: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing
« Reply #560 on: September 01, 2017, 11:43:41 pm »
6 months ago tested did an interview on the next generation of  Augmented Reality Glasses. They guy was saying he already stopped using his monitors and was using that full time. It better not be 15 years I want my monitors replaced with glasses in no more than 5 years.

! No longer available

When you get eye strain, seizures, and memory loss, you will be back to your monitors and paying attention more closely like one inch away.  :lol
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 08:27:51 pm
« Reply #561 on: September 04, 2017, 12:04:49 am »
anyone want to see how far we can get in  The Rise Of JumboTron in rec room. game is free, make sure you have wide enough space, it is where you want to be able to get on your knees and duck behind things.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:31:35 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #562 on: September 04, 2017, 03:28:05 am »
I was just playing the other 2 quests, REC room has really come along from release. DEV's are doing a great job. Just with there was free move option instead of teleportation.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:56:55 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #563 on: October 19, 2017, 03:25:03 pm »

No talk about the MSMR units being offered by the big 5 PC and tech manufacturers?  I think this is a huge development, and likely to bring VR into the mainstream.

I pre-ordered the Samsung Odyssey, so I did put my money where my mouth is.  I guess in a few weeks, I will see if that was such a good idea :)

When I can find a few spare minutes, I am currently playing with attaching the PSVR and Move controls to the PC.  Definitely an unpolished setup, but the Sony HMD has never looked so good as it does with 120hz and SS @ 2.0.  I'm really hoping the Samsung turns out to be a PSVR on steroids.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #564 on: October 19, 2017, 04:56:58 pm »
DOOM VFR is out soon :)

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #565 on: October 19, 2017, 06:00:36 pm »
No talk about the MSMR units being offered by the big 5 PC and tech manufacturers?  I think this is a huge development, and likely to bring VR into the mainstream.

Early reviews have been mixed.

The big question mark is the tracking and how well it will work in the real world, particularly for the controllers.  If they can pull it off, it will definitely be something to look for in the market.  But if the tracking suffers, then the whole thing suffers.

The other question mark is going to be software availability.  Reportedly it won't be compatible with SteamVR right out of the gate, which walls it off from a huge swath of content.  If they can build in compatibility that would be a huge boon for these headsets.  The last thing VR needs is yet another proprietary limitation when it comes to software.

Personally, I'm talking a wait and see approach on the new crop of headsets coming down the pipe. Nothing yet looks like a surefire replacement for my current Vive setup.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #566 on: October 19, 2017, 06:01:08 pm »
DOOM VFR is out soon :)

The Talos Principle VR just landed the other day, and the Gallery Episode 2 as well.  Some good content coming out these days.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #567 on: October 19, 2017, 09:08:06 pm »
Early reviews have been mixed.

The big question mark is the tracking and how well it will work in the real world, particularly for the controllers.  If they can pull it off, it will definitely be something to look for in the market.  But if the tracking suffers, then the whole thing suffers.

That's pretty much the way I see it.  The biggest problem right now is the lack of trustworthy information, and really, the number of similar-but-not-the-same headsets.  I'm sure the basic implementation is consistent to maintain compatibility with MS's framework, but there are a few significant differences between models.  The Samsung unit is definitely a step up from the others.  Whether any of the differences are "under the hood" is anyone's guess at this point.

The headset tracking has been reported to be spot-on.  The controller tracking, at least in this , seems to be good.  The inverse kinematic prediction seems to work pretty well in situations where only the internal sensors are able to be used, and at least one developer has indicated that the tools provide enough information to make things pretty seamless.  When your hands are out of your view, precision positioning tends not to be very important anyway. I.e. in an archery game, it pretty much only needs to know that when you reach over and behind your head, you are after an arrow from your quiver.  And when that arrow is loaded into the bow, and pulled back too close to your face to be tracked, it would lock it to your cheek position.  While some might think this is "artificial", they probably haven't considered that many of the games they are playing already do this, if for no other reason than to allow players to focus on gameplay elements, rather than fiddly, mundane tasks.

The other question mark is going to be software availability.  Reportedly it won't be compatible with SteamVR right out of the gate, which walls it off from a huge swath of content.  If they can build in compatibility that would be a huge boon for these headsets.  The last thing VR needs is yet another proprietary limitation when it comes to software.

Major reputable sources are indicating SteamVR compatibility "before the holidays", which is a bit nebulous.  But it's already in beta so it's certainly going to happen.  The interesting thing is that the MSMR will have compatibility with SteamVR and the MS library, but the MS side of things will be walled off for users of other headsets.  But yes, I think the lack of available content is seriously stalling adoption at the moment, unless you just want a VR version of windows10, and to play virtual doll-house (although the built-in big-screen media room looks like a nice feature.)

The thing that really prompted me to check this out is the resolution bump.  Previous offerings are 1080x1200 per eye, while the new Samsung's AMOLED is 1440x1600 per eye.  The difference seems marginal when looking at these numbers, but it comes out to an extra ~1,000,000 pixels per eye, which is almost twice the resolution.  This means SDE will likely be virtually eliminated, distance rendered objects sharper and text much more readable. 

MS seems to be doing some trickery to get the system requirements down to handle higher resolutions as well.  One VR "guru", while testing the lowest-end model, indicated that he noticed a rendering artifact which might be telling.  He noted that during rapid head movements, a black bar would appear on the periphery of his vision, at the side opposite of the direction he was turning, and the full image would return when he stopped.  While this may be something to help out the "queasy crowd", it could very well be a simplified foveated rendering technique.  It's possible that the software is monitoring GPU and system loads, and applying this when necessary to reduce the area needing to be rendered.  Or, it could have just been a pre-release glitch  :lol  But it does seem like a reasonable approach.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:14:36 pm by RandyT »

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #568 on: November 11, 2017, 12:21:27 pm »
Feel like it is time to upgrade my 970 to a 1080 ti in the name of VR. I really want the ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 TI  but those prices, on top of that Amazone is taxing now so add another $65 to that price just to twist that knife in a little more. I would be happy with the asus 1070 ti but even that is $500, feels like if you are going that high anyway might as well go all the way and 4k future proof your self a little more.
https://www.amazon.com/STRIX-GeForce-Gaming-Graphics-ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-11G-GAMING/dp/B06XY25VTC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1510420654&sr=8-2&keywords=asus+1080+ti&dpID=51tSPgs6UPL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #569 on: November 11, 2017, 03:05:59 pm »
I upgraded from a 1070 to a 1080 TI. The gains were good, I can increase the SS further to make most games clearer without lag. But I also found that some games are just horribly optimized.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #570 on: November 11, 2017, 04:32:35 pm »
what did you do with the 1070

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #571 on: November 11, 2017, 06:01:36 pm »
Sold it to my brother

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #572 on: November 18, 2017, 07:23:09 pm »
Skyrim VR has landed and appears to receiving a positive reception if the comments on https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/ are anything to go by.

I'm curious what impact this will have on VR adoption.  And I'm a little relieved, because if Bethesda's VR ports weren't well received, it could create impediment for VR adoption.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #573 on: November 19, 2017, 04:39:06 am »
Never played Skyrim (never my kind of game) but I know it has a huge fan base.

Hope Doom VFR has a positive reception to though! Thats out in a few weeks :)

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #574 on: November 30, 2017, 11:35:41 pm »
Well, Doom VFR has launched to mediocre reception.  It's currently sitting at only 48% positive on Steam reviews, and getting slammed on Reddit.

It sounds like VR on PC was poorly implemented with a lot flawed design choices.  It could probably be salvaged, but I guess we'll see how much the Bethesda backs this one.

Kind of nervous to see what's going to happen with Fallout 4 next...

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #575 on: December 01, 2017, 01:23:22 am »
My copy for PS4 should be landing today so ile get back to you over the weekend with my thoughts....

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:09:19 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #576 on: December 01, 2017, 10:11:08 am »
They rereleased Doom for PS4 with VR?  Hm.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #577 on: December 01, 2017, 10:55:55 am »
Yeah

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #578 on: December 01, 2017, 03:18:13 pm »
They rereleased Doom for PS4 with VR?  Hm.

Not the full Doom.  It's a spin off title, Doom VFR.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #579 on: December 08, 2017, 05:36:56 am »
Sorry about the late reply regarding DOOM.

Combination of Amazon delivering late, My birthday and a 3D printer got in the way of me having a play.

So I had 20 mins with it this morning before I started feeling queasy so it would be unfair for me to give a full on review at this point, But my initial thoughts are disappointed.

If I compare it to Farpoint it is no where near as smooth or nice to control, The guns do not seem to aim as well and the bouncing around makes me queasy and seems unnecessary.
Ile give it another go over the weekend with a full stomach and see if I can get into it a bit more for a fairer assessment but atm its not great....

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #580 on: December 08, 2017, 06:55:41 am »
Man Im really hoping Fallout VR next Tuesday isn't a waste of 60 bucks...

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #581 on: December 08, 2017, 07:00:43 am »
The daft thing is about it is that Farpoing nailed it.
The controls etc were damn near perfect it was a winning formula.

So why have all the other games not rolled with it?

Go back to the Original DOOM, and all the other games of the same era used the same controls.

Duke Nukem, Quake etc.

If it aint broke dont fix it....

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #582 on: December 08, 2017, 08:09:47 am »
Titch, have you played with the HTC Vive at all?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #583 on: December 08, 2017, 09:58:59 am »
Sadly not mate.
I dont really do PC gaming anymore (dont have the room) and neither do any of my buds lol

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #584 on: December 08, 2017, 11:52:55 am »

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #585 on: December 13, 2017, 05:56:37 pm »
Tried Fallout 4 VR.  Not a good start, a wonky launch with a few bugs:

1) anyone on steamVR beta couldn't enter their name
2) bug made the game very blurry on many PC's (caused by bug matching your desktop rez)

To their credit, Bethesda (and Valve) fixed both bugs within a day.  There are other bugs but overall, it's pretty good.  Personally I was more looking forward to Skyrim but gotta wait a while for that one.  IT def smells of portitis but still, nice to see a full AAA game on the Vive/Rift (Rift owners beware, it's not made to work with touch controllers so some frustrations abound)

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #586 on: December 13, 2017, 06:43:23 pm »
Yeah, Im trying to like the game but its not going so well. I dont feel immersed at all.

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2024, 05:34:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #587 on: December 14, 2017, 07:50:55 am »
I have a PS4 Pro, is it worth going for the VR setup? I often hear the Oculus or Vibe is much better, so I wasn’t sure it was worth investing in the PSVR when I can put that money towards one of the PC devices, is it that much better? Also I believe the PSVR is getting a $100 reduction, at least in Canada.

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #588 on: December 14, 2017, 07:59:39 am »
I have a PS4 Pro, is it worth going for the VR setup? I often hear the Oculus or Vibe is much better, so I wasn’t sure it was worth investing in the PSVR when I can put that money towards one of the PC devices, is it that much better? Also I believe the PSVR is getting a $100 reduction, at least in Canada.

The PSVR is getting cheaper by the days, If its your first VR experience then the PSVR will work fine. Ive tried all 3 and the only thing the VIVE has over the PSVR is room scale and the controller are more precise.

Unless you have a VR ready PC I would just go with the PSVR. You're looking at at least 1500$-2000$ just to get a mid end PC and VIVE setup.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 08:10:17 am by 05SRT4 »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #589 on: December 14, 2017, 11:12:35 am »

The PSVR is getting cheaper by the days, If its your first VR experience then the PSVR will work fine. Ive tried all 3 and the only thing the VIVE has over the PSVR is room scale and the controller are more precise.

Unless you have a VR ready PC I would just go with the PSVR. You're looking at at least 1500$-2000$ just to get a mid end PC and VIVE setup.

What he said.

I have the PSVR and enjoy using it.
Get far point for it with the gun if you buy one.
Hands down the best game ive played on it!

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #590 on: December 14, 2017, 12:41:18 pm »

I now own a Vive, a Samsung Odyssey and the PSVR.  Based on my experience with them, I'd say it depends greatly upon your current PC specs.  If you already have a fast PC, with at least a GTX 1060 (minimum), you may want to consider one of the WindowsMR devices.  You just missed a sale at the MS store where you could have gotten the Lenovo for $199.

But if you are just looking to get your feet wet with VR, and already have the PS4Pro, the PSVR is a good way to do it.  All have their pros and cons, but after using the Odyssey, I have a hard time going back to the PSVR.  Likewise, after using the tracking system of the Vive, I have a hard time even attempting to play some games with the Odyssey.   The image quality on the Odyssey is much better than the Vive, but the SteamVR experience is still much less polished on WMR.  And, the tracking, while hugely better than the PSVR, still isn't as perfect as the Vive, which can interfere with how well certain games play, particularly those where swinging and throwing are required.  They work ok, but you always feel a bit handicapped by the controller tracking with those kinds of games.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #591 on: December 14, 2017, 04:44:19 pm »
Oculus is even better than the vive with exception to the tracking, i don’t know at some points of time it will be butter smooth matching the vive and than when some patch comes down you will all of a sudden start getting different jankiness and studer.
Besides that everything is better than the vive from the comfort of wearing the headset to the better tracking controllers to oculus interface which has gotten a lot quicker and better than steam; they also have a lot of Oculus studio games and apps which are all basically the best things in VR right now; You can play them on vive but you will have to download oculus home.

I am waiting for something like the Pimax, higher field of view and higher resolution, also using vives tracking so that is good.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #592 on: December 15, 2017, 05:40:49 am »
Don't have a reference for the Rift, but I hear that the "god rays" are worse than the Vive.  Given that the Vive is worse than the Odyssey, I'm not sure I could tolerate the Rift.  The PSVR is really the best of the bunch where optics are concerned.  Revive seems to work well with the Odyssey.  The new Oculus "home" looks pretty nice (from the videos), but I personally don't care much about about the launcher app.  I strap the gear to my head to play games, and the less "fluff" before I get to that point, the better.  The simple SteamVR floating window is lightweight, and gets the job done.

The only comfort issue I've had with the Vive is when my headphones rest on the cables, which eventually starts hurting the top of my head. Otherwise, it's what I would expect from having something strapped to your face.  The PSVR is better in this department as well, with the Odyssey being somewhere in the middle.

As for the Pimax, from what I have read, it's rendering at close to the WMR native resolution, and stretching the outer edges.  It's an interesting approach to the processing bottleneck. The expanded FOV sounds intriguing, but I am still a bit skeptical that the image distortion won't bring with it some nasty side effects for the user.

I don't see much higher actual resolutions being viable any time soon, due to processing bottlenecks.  Google is now talking about 20 megapixel per eye displays, which are a pipe dream with nothing capable of driving them.  Even if they could upscale lower-res content fast enough, it seems like it would only be an expensive cure for SDE.

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #593 on: December 15, 2017, 06:00:00 am »
At this point I would be happier with better game/performance optimization over resolution/detail....

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #594 on: December 15, 2017, 11:02:50 am »
As for the Pimax, from what I have read, it's rendering at close to the WMR native resolution, and stretching the outer edges.  It's an interesting approach to the processing bottleneck. The expanded FOV sounds intriguing, but I am still a bit skeptical that the image distortion won't bring with it some nasty side effects for the user.

Well ya they cant just stretch the image out on release, not even sure why they are demoing people games like that... I dont know what you mean when you talk about processing bottleneck. I bought that 1080 ti and nothing has changed in VR for me from my overclocked 970... all that extra power just sitting there wasted.

As far as optimizing games play something like Robo Recall, you are running around a city and it renders and plays amazing and that was on my 970, it’s totally doable to make triple A games on mid range hardware.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #595 on: December 15, 2017, 12:02:45 pm »
Well ya they cant just stretch the image out on release, not even sure why they are demoing people games like that... I dont know what you mean when you talk about processing bottleneck. I bought that 1080 ti and nothing has changed in VR for me from my overclocked 970... all that extra power just sitting there wasted.

Not sure how much research you have done on the upcoming Pimax specs, but that is not just how they are demoing the units.  It's the goal.  The units have a total resolution of 7,680 x 2,160, and even your 1080 Ti isn't enough to drive that sufficiently if they were addressing individual pixels at that res.  Thus the "bottleneck" and "tricks" to get past it.

They do have a similar version coming which doesn't use the stretched upscaling, but the stated minimum specs for this unit are (2) GTX 1080Ti cards, one for each display.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 12:05:53 pm by RandyT »

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #596 on: December 15, 2017, 12:29:27 pm »
Oculus is even better than the vive with exception to the tracking

Based on stats previously published from the Waltz of the Wizards devs, 2 camera Oculus tracking had roughly double the tracking loss of the 2 base-station setup of the Vive.  3 camera Oculus setups were almost on par with the Vive, and 4 camera setups had the least tracking loss of all configurations.

Although the next gen base stations should allow for more than just 2 which could yield even better results for whatever future SteamVR headsets come out.

Besides that everything is better than the vive from the comfort of wearing the headset

Unless you wear glasses.  The Vive is designed to accommodate glasses, the Rift not so much.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 12:32:07 pm by shponglefan »

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #597 on: December 15, 2017, 04:13:37 pm »
not sure i would wear glasses on either headset, uncomfortable and you could end up scratching your vr lenses, everyone who complains that they have scratches on there headset is because they wear glasses. There is a company called VR lens lab that will make you costume persecution lens that you just screw into your headset, probably go that route.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #598 on: December 15, 2017, 05:19:09 pm »
not sure i would wear glasses on either headset, uncomfortable and you could end up scratching your vr lenses, everyone who complains that they have scratches on there headset is because they wear glasses. There is a company called VR lens lab that will make you costume persecution lens that you just screw into your headset, probably go that route.

I've been using glasses with the Vive for over a year now.  No scratches, no discomfort.  :dunno

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #599 on: December 15, 2017, 07:37:43 pm »
there is no difference between the vive and the rift design to accommodate glasses so you should be good than  :dunno