Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing  (Read 228960 times)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:09:19 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing
« Reply #120 on: February 23, 2017, 05:05:50 pm »
NFW you get me to put on a VR headset and play RE7.

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2017, 05:20:08 pm »
NFW you get me to put on a VR headset and play RE7.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:35:25 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2017, 07:08:49 pm »
Loving the psvr but couldn't play re7 for more than 10 minutes without taking a break. The tension is crazy.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2017, 07:28:52 am »
Loving the psvr but couldn't play re7 for more than 10 minutes without taking a break. The tension is crazy.

Sounds awesome :)
Just wish there was the standard Zombies instead of moulded.
Always fancied playing a game like that in VR with a gun so I could blow that ugly mofos head off :p

I have ordered that until dawn: blood rush which is meant to be good to but ile wait n see.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:35:25 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2017, 07:39:46 am »
Until Dawn is pretty good too. It's got some cheap jump scares but is loads of fun. It made my stomach lurch a few times the first time I played as you're on a roller coaster but you get used to it pretty quickly. Dodging to avoid blades is cool too.

The game I've played the most has to be VR Pinball . For some reason it just works so well in VR. It's seriously making me consider abandoning the vpin I was gonna build this year.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing
« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2017, 08:40:57 am »
I was looking at that vrpin actually but wondered what it would be like :p

I also brought rigs which looked good, thought that would be a good start to my vr experience with them.

Does anyone know if you can buy a extension cable for the psvr?

I would like to run it around the room rather than across the carpet due to dogs!!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 08:42:45 am by Titchgamer »

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:31:35 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2017, 07:18:16 pm »
Does anyone know if you can buy a extension cable for the psvr?

Usually these are just USB and HDMI cables. The Vive cables can be disconnected from headset and longer ones can be attached.

Not for the PSVR but Arizona Sunshine is a great zombie game for the Vive. Its a good break from the common zombie rail shooters thats flooded steam.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: February 25, 2017, 03:00:27 am »
Yeah one of the cables is HDMI but the other is something unique to the PSVR I think.
It sort of looks like a HDMI but its not LOL

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2017, 09:32:42 pm »
It's been almost a year since I took delivery of the Vive.  Thought I'd give a short update/retrospective.  In particular, I wanted to address this comment:

You are excited about it now, but let's see how much you enjoy it in a few months time.

Having been using the Vive for almost a year now, I can safely say this:  VR is ---smurfing--- amazing.

It's become my primary form of gaming.  In fact, it's largely ruined playing certain games on the monitor.  Having play a variety of shooters in VR, going back to modern FPS games on a monitor feels primitive in comparison.  There's just no substitute for being inside the game.  Not to mention the sheer flexibility that room-scale and motion controllers brings to the experience.  In many cases, the only limitation is whatever real-world physical limitations exists in terms of aim, movement, and body position.  I have played shooters where I have laid on my backside, aiming upside down with dual guns with fully independent aim.  Not having to worry about pre-programmed movements and limitations is awesome.

My biggest fear going in was that content was going to be slim.  I was legitimately worried that I really only would get a couple months use out of it.  But that hasn't come to pass.  Just looking at my library, I've got a backlog of about a couple dozen VR games.  I figure I've still got a couple hundred hours of content to go through easy.  And that's not counting upcoming releases.  One of the most pleasant surprises has been Croteam's commitment to VR.  I've always been a fan of their games (both the Serious Sam franchise and The Talos Principle), and they've started porting their entire back catalog to VR; proper VR with full room-scale and motion controller support.  Can't wait to try Serious Sam 3 in VR.

Valve has also announced they are working on three, proper VR titles.  Knowing Valve's pedigree for quality, I'm excited.  Mind you, knowing their tradition for vaporware (*cough*Half-Life 2:Episode 3*cough*), who knows what and when they will deliver.  But I'm sure they have something good in the works.

If I do have one complaint thus far (besides the obvious challenges of video gaming becoming a physical activity), it's that there is a gap in genre representation.  In particular, a lack of strategy games and sim/management style games.  I cannot wait for the day when Civilization, X-COM or SimCity style games start making their way to VR.  I've had a taste of how awesome strategy can be in VR with games like Quar and Airmech Command.  But dammit, I want more!

Anyway, VR is amazing and as far as I am concerned it's here to stay.  It's definitely no gimmick; I challenge anyone who thinks so to spend a couple hours using a Vive and see if they still feel the same way.  I've already demo'd it for about a dozen people and not one person hasn't been impressed.

TL/DR: VR is awesome; new favorite way to game; best piece of gaming technology I've used in a couple decades.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:34:33 pm by shponglefan »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2017, 09:46:43 pm »
I'm genuinely glad you like it, but it seems like the people have spoken.  VR is the next 3d tv. 

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2017, 10:25:11 pm »
I'm genuinely glad you like it, but it seems like the people have spoken.  VR is the next 3d tv.

That's not really an apt comparison when you think about it.  3D TV actually sold quite well for a few years; tens of millions of units annually.  The problem is it kinda hit a brick wall; it didn't have anywhere to go market-wise nor technology-wise and thus fizzled out.  And let's be honest; 3D TV is kind of a gimmick.

VR is in a bit of a different situation.  It's still well in the early adopter phase with lots of room for growth.  Many things need to still happen in the VR market, creation of standards (particularly a standardized API), lowering of price, and boosting of content offerings.  There is also a lot of room for technological advancement: lighter and more ergonomic headsets, higher resolutions, wider FOV, and the holy grail of PC VR, wireless.

And unlike 3D TV, proper gaming VR is not a gimmick.  It's a legitimately functional way to game that has a lot to offer over and above traditional seated, monitor play.  Right now there are some significant barriers to entry, though.  Once those start coming down, I think you'll see wider adoption hopefully paving the way for the next generations of VR technology.

Right now we're kinda in the Magnavox/Atari 2600 era of VR technology.  Once we can hit at least the NES era, I think we'll start seeing it taking off.

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2017, 11:11:52 pm »
Ive had the Vive for about 8 months now and am still stoked when I play. Recently I has focused more of my time using sculpting, designing software. I can now sculpt a figurine or model in 3d, export and 3d print it, super cool.

A part of me fears that its all going to go away eventually but it seems like every few weeks a decent title comes out. Still no epic AAA title but enough to keep me going.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: April 04, 2017, 02:35:09 am »

I dont believe this to be true either.
There was nothing wrong with 3D tv's, I still own one.

The problem was with content.
Over here (not sure about US) none of the big TV subscribers offered a 3D service except sky and that was very limited and had to have other bundles packaged with it to use so rather expensive.

If there was more content I think they would of been more of a success.

As for the VR, ive been loving PSVR!
I have not had as much time as I would like with it but both me and my Ms have been getting much enjoyment out of it.
The hardware still has some way to go in terms of gfx quality and the price needs to come down to allow access to everyone but a fad I dont think it is.

It is alot of fun and some games play so much better in VR than they do on a TV.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #133 on: April 04, 2017, 10:05:21 am »
The problem with 3D TV is that people rarely just sit there and watch TV.  Kinda hard to fold laundry or play on your phone with 3D glasses on.

Same thing with VR, it's kind of hard to pick up and play when you've got to sit in your special chair with your special glasses. 

:dunno

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #134 on: April 04, 2017, 11:29:24 am »
The problem with 3D TV is that people rarely just sit there and watch TV.  Kinda hard to fold laundry or play on your phone with 3D glasses on.

Same thing with VR, it's kind of hard to pick up and play when you've got to sit in your special chair with your special glasses. 

:dunno

New to VR systems everywhere...SIM LAUNDRY!

Fold them before they fold you!

LOL

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #135 on: April 04, 2017, 11:48:03 am »
I'm seeing massive support for VR from every major display and gaming company, so I'm not sure where the idea that it is a flop is coming from.  Content is not flooding in like it was in the beginning, but as shponglefan pointed out, even heavy users are finding a backlog of content to explore.  With major game developers working on top tier titles as well as retrofitting older hits to work well with VR, anyone who plays a game for more than a few days will be in content for the foreseeable future. 

Right now, the things slowing it down are twofold: 
First, the cost is still prohibitively high for the best experience.  You can get a middle of the road experience for a fairly reasonable price, a low end experience for practically nothing, but if you really want to see the future of gaming, it takes a substantial investment.  Not many people are willing to drop $2k to get started with first gen tech that still has a long way to go before it is perfect.
Second, the tech cycle is not as fast as consumers like.  Months after the Vive finally hit the street, people were asking how they could upgrade or when the next gen will be out.  They want higher resolution, better lenses, wireless, more comfortable headsets, more sensors, and games that will support full body sensing.  It is all coming, but it is slow to get here.  Wireless was deemed impossible by the armchair developers out there, yet within a couple months of HTC funding the best ideas, a working prototype was out and available for preorder in Japan.  And it works without sacrificing quality and latency.  But it still isn't available in the States.  Heck, even the simple audio and headset upgrade is not yet available, despite the announcement before the new year.  Some people have done their own sensor pucks and created demos that track your entire body, but the pucks are still not available, and until they are, there won't be much demand for games that you can kick a zombie in the face.  And as for a second gen headset, the rumors are saying another 2 years before HTC has something available. 

When the next gen hits, a lot of the biggest complaints will be worked out, and hopefully price will start to come down (in the form of the first gen being remade with cheaper tech and better mass manufacturing techniques).  By then, all this money being dumped into the tech in the background will produce some really great results, and the high end VR will start to become more mainstream. 

I wouldn't compare this to 3D televisions, I would compare it to 3D games.  When games first went to 3D, it took hella expensive cards to even play at all.  But despite this, it was embraced by the gaming community (a multi-billion dollar market) simply because it was so awesome of an enhancement over 2D games, and defined the direction of even cheap appliances like xbox's and playstations.  Before xbox came out, your option was to spend $300-$1000 on JUST the graphics card in a computer if you wanted to play these kinds of games.  Today you can do this on your smartphone, any console, android TV, PC's with integrated graphics chips, and of course, in high end gaming rigs.  It went mainstream and stuck around, despite the "early adopter" prices that were prohibitive and seen as a gimmick.  Give this tech 3 or 4 years of niche gamers spending several thousand dollars every couple years upgrading before we will see PC's and Consoles coming with lifelike resolution headsets for mere hundreds of dollars, not thousands.

As for 3D television, it was never going to end up mainstream.  3D video is a movie technology.  It takes incredibly expensive cameras to film natively, or a TON of post-processing to get even moderately right.  Nobody is going to invest that kind of money into a TV show.  Besides, as PBJ pointed out, as long as there are glasses involved, it isn't going to go anywhere.  Shutter glasses suck in comparison to passive glasses, but nobody is going to spend a couple hundred thousand dollars to get a projector capable of doing passive 3D in their home. 

On the other hand, the media is still there, and as VR technology grows, the potential for watching 3D movies is going to grow too.  Trust me on this, 3D in VR is second to NOTHING.  There is no cross talk, no filter between your eyes and the screen, and no requirement for keeping your head aligned with the screen.  And it is more immersive too, because it fills your entire FoV.  A movie in VR, once the technology is a couple generations older, will be amazing, and I will be one of those early adopters.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #136 on: April 04, 2017, 11:51:38 am »
It's like someone took the same pro-VR arguments from 20 years ago....  I was reading these exact same defenses back then, too.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: April 04, 2017, 12:29:48 pm »
It's like someone took the same pro-VR arguments from 20 years ago....  I was reading these exact same defenses back then, too.

It's a bit different than the 90's though.  The biggest impediment to VR back then was ergonomics.  Limits on refresh rates and high tracking latency meant you were likely in for a bad time.  PC Gamer's original reviews of VR headsets actually came with an "aspirin rating"; basically, how sick they expected the headset to make you feel.  Sure things like high price and limited content were also issues.  But if the technology sucks from the get-go, those are secondary issues.

Conversely that's largely a non-issue with modern headsets.  They have tracking that feels 1:1 and refresh rates are high enough not to cause nausea.  The only real issue still to deal with is artificial motion in VR, but even that can be overcome in most instances.  It's basically taken a couple decades for the technology to catch up to the idea of VR.  We're at that point now, we just need to start moving beyond it.

The other change is that the 90's push for VR was still at a time when 3D graphics in gaming were relatively new, not to mention 3D hardware acceleration.  Now we have over 20 years of 3D gaming technology in place already.  It's a much better starting point for moving into VR.

And finally, we have the Internet.  Content distribution is much better than it's ever been, so that increases accessibility.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 12:33:15 pm by shponglefan »

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2017, 12:32:12 pm »

"Sit"?  What is this "sitting" in VR of which you speak?  :dunno

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: April 04, 2017, 01:44:06 pm »
Not sure what you do when you watch TV PBJ but I generally like to have a beer in hand, feet up and chill.
Much the same if I am watching a 3D film I just have a pair of glasses on to which I dont even notice after a few mins.
Hell I can even use my phone!

But yeah shutter glasses suck, not sure why anyone ever bothered pursuing that alley really.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: April 04, 2017, 04:01:03 pm »
But yeah shutter glasses suck, not sure why anyone ever bothered pursuing that alley really.
There are a few movies where 3D really added to the experience in the theater, and it would be great to extend that to the home.  I went to Ghost in the Shell the other night on Imax3D and the 3D was pretty impressive.  It wasn't gimmicky and added a level you aren't going to see at home even on the best theaters.  The only unfortunate part is I spent most of my time out in the lobby talking to my realtor and the guy who ended up buying my house and theater equipment, lol.

Unfortunately, 3D leaves a lot to be desired when translating that to the home, so while I can see the allure, in practice it just didn't work out.  In particular, the shutter glasses mean you get half the frame rate, so you have to double it to 48 or 60 fps, which causes the "soap opera effect," something I can't stand.  Home 3D is a "lose lose" situation for me, so I don't bother.  After I upgraded my last projector I tried it out, but it just wasn't worth the effort for anything more.  A good quality bluray with a good projector is plenty immersive on a big screen.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #141 on: April 04, 2017, 04:41:05 pm »
Well my 3DTV is passive (wouldn't buy shutter), And I am yet to see a home projector that uses it well.

But to be fair my TV and suround sound system give a good 3D experience.
Just a shame there is a lack of content for it though!!

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: April 04, 2017, 09:30:37 pm »
I wouldn't compare this to 3D televisions, I would compare it to 3D games.  When games first went to 3D, it took hella expensive cards to even play at all.

I agree, the 3D graphics comparison much more apt.  When 3D acceleration first arrived it was expensive and extremely limited.  It took a couple years just for usable 3D acceleration to arrive, then a couple more years for standards to emerge.

VR is still in that early phase.  It hasn't even been given a chance to fail yet, and already people are writing it off (although I imagine most still haven't tried it).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 09:52:58 pm by shponglefan »

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: April 04, 2017, 11:25:19 pm »
It hasn't even been given a chance to fail yet, and already people are writing it off (although I imagine most still haven't tried it).
I imagine most who have tried the cardboard box or maybe the samsung VR, which is a toy by comparison.  It would be like writing off cars as transportation because your experience with them is riding in your kid's barbie battery powered corvette.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: April 05, 2017, 06:14:08 am »
It hasn't even been given a chance to fail yet, and already people are writing it off (although I imagine most still haven't tried it).
I imagine most who have tried the cardboard box or maybe the samsung VR, which is a toy by comparison.  It would be like writing off cars as transportation because your experience with them is riding in your kid's barbie battery powered corvette.

That is possibly the best point I have ever read! LOL

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: April 06, 2017, 09:27:35 pm »

Cute analogy ;)

In seriousness, I wonder if phone-based VR is giving people a skewed impression of VR's potential.  I've tried Google cardboard and while neat, it wasn't anything to write home about.  I couldn't see using it for much beyond 3D porn videos or something.

But a proper VR game system is something else entirely.  I feel that just room-scale and motion controllers is 50% of the experience.  I couldn't imagine VR gaming without them.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: April 07, 2017, 10:05:15 am »
I feel that just room-scale and motion controllers is 50% of the experience.  I couldn't imagine VR gaming without them.
Exactly, and that is something that a large percentage of people who have "tried VR" have not experienced.

Without the level of interaction from room scale and motion controllers, it becomes the difference between watching a 360* video and feeling like you are actually there.  One of my friends came over immediately after learning her father died just so she could spend a little time lost in a different place.  To me that is a pretty strong statement about how immersive it is when done right.

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #147 on: April 09, 2017, 12:10:10 am »
I just beat Arizona Sunshine, such a cool game. If they can keep pumping out games like that I will be completely satisfied. Does anyone have any other recommendation for a game that complete? The Steam library is getting nuts and I am sure I have missed a few gems.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: April 09, 2017, 10:21:44 am »
I just beat Arizona Sunshine, such a cool game. If they can keep pumping out games like that I will be completely satisfied. Does anyone have any other recommendation for a game that complete?

I recommend the following:

The Serious Sam VR games, specifically The First Encounter and The Second Encounter.  These are VR ports of their FPS games; each offers roughly 10 hours or so of gameplay.  The devs are also porting Serious Sam 3 and The Talos Principle to VR, which I cannot wait for.

Twisted Arrow - It's a bow-and-arrow style teleporting FPS.  It's quite fun, quirky style, lots of enemy types and a good sense of progression in the levels.  Content is a bit thin as there are only 6 missions.  On medium difficulty they can be each beaten in ~15 minutes or so (so you're looking at an hour-and-a-half of gameplay).  On Hard difficulty the game becomes a lot more tactical and challenging, which stretches out the game time.  While short, this one's a bit of a hidden gem.

Doom 3 BFG with the VR mod - Basically Doom 3 in full-VR (room-scale + motion control).  A little rough in places due to its non-VR roots, but otherwise it's an awesome way to experience Doom 3.  And much more terrifying when things like Imps and other monsters are life-size.

Airmech Command - If you like RTS style games, this one is a lot of fun.  Well-polished, bunch of different maps/missions, tons of unit types (over 60).  Only real flaw is it's a touch easy, although there are some challenging missions in it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 10:34:56 am by shponglefan »

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 08:27:51 pm
« Reply #149 on: April 09, 2017, 11:39:04 am »
Lots of games on Oculus side you can still play on the vive with a plugin.

Robo Recall is probably one of the most polished VR titles to come out.

SuperHOT is just a fun game and it is one I always come back to.

I Expect You to Die is a polished puzzle game.

Dead and Buried is not to bad

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #150 on: April 09, 2017, 07:34:02 pm »
I would love to play DOOM in VR!
Hell thats a game I dreamt of playing in VR since it game out lol

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #151 on: April 28, 2017, 12:37:02 pm »

A new console gaming place near my house has the PSVR for $5/hr.  I've been playing it as much as I can manage to get over there.  It's way better than I thought it would be.  Although the cable can be clunky, especially if you're wearing headphones, it's a lot of fun.  The price point for me is still way too high, though, given that I don't have a PS4.  I will definitely be picking this up once the price falls.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #152 on: May 02, 2017, 02:51:41 pm »
Quick question for you VR-ists (I have yet to try anything more than Occulus Dev version 1, years ago) : What is it like when the worlds are abstract and non-real? Is it like the uncanny valley for human CGI, or is it "wow, I'm inside art!" type of thing?
NO MORE!!

Jmoneyphx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2017, 12:22:53 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #153 on: May 02, 2017, 03:29:07 pm »
Makes me woooozyyy....Waiting for the game setup from the movie "Her"...

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #154 on: May 03, 2017, 11:04:27 am »
Quick question for you VR-ists (I have yet to try anything more than Occulus Dev version 1, years ago) : What is it like when the worlds are abstract and non-real? Is it like the uncanny valley for human CGI, or is it "wow, I'm inside art!" type of thing?
It quickly takes over your sense of reality.  The best is stuff that is close to reality but clearly not, like fantasy settings.  It's like stepping into your favorite fantasy book as a kid.  There is a demo produced by Jon Favreau called Gnomes and Goblins where you step into a forest setting with tiny little gnomes running around and the trees are their home.  It is insane how quickly you accept it as reality.  When you reach out too far and hit a wall in your room, it is jarring because you already lost any sense of the walls in your room.

Even the more abstract worlds feel like you were dropped into a cartoon or something like that. 

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #155 on: May 03, 2017, 03:25:22 pm »
It quickly takes over your sense of reality.  The best is stuff that is close to reality but clearly not, like fantasy settings.  It's like stepping into your favorite fantasy book as a kid.  There is a demo produced by Jon Favreau called Gnomes and Goblins where you step into a forest setting with tiny little gnomes running around and the trees are their home.  It is insane how quickly you accept it as reality.  When you reach out too far and hit a wall in your room, it is jarring because you already lost any sense of the walls in your room.

Even the more abstract worlds feel like you were dropped into a cartoon or something like that.
So we're going to need a padded room on top of the hardware cost...
NO MORE!!

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 08:27:51 pm
« Reply #156 on: May 03, 2017, 06:15:03 pm »
So we're going to need a padded room on top of the hardware cost...

you mark out your play area with your motion controller, anytime you get near that virtual line a grid wall pops up in game. Only a moron still ends up punching walls and things; or if your play area is so small you can't take half a step without hitting something.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #157 on: May 04, 2017, 01:18:50 am »
Only a moron still ends up punching walls and things; or if your play area is so small you can't take half a step without hitting something.
My room is the bare minimum, in fact it took me 3 tries to get the software to accept my room as big enough.  But even so, the first time I let my daughter try it, she was punching clowns in the nvidia fun house demo and caught the door trim pretty hard.  There is a dent in the wood within arms length of my computer chair.  And I stood in the doorway watching my other daughter play brookhaven, and when she ran out of bullets and started swinging, I took a controller to the gut.  I wouldn't call them morons, I would call them avid game players.

And I keep my setup on expert mode for the chaperone.  Those grids are almost always on in a small room, so I turned them to the minimum and set them really dim.  A room bigger than 5x8 helps.  So does ceilings taller than 7 foot.  If you don't have it, you make due.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #158 on: May 04, 2017, 09:15:10 am »

It can definitely happen with PS VR.  I was standing near a kid last weekend with the PS VR headset on and the kid punched me square in the chest.  The funny thing was he didn't even hesitate to keep playing the game.  He was so immersed that real physical contact with a person (much bigger than himself) didn't deter him at all.  It was pretty funny.

The PS VR doesn't set up the same way, though.  It uses the PS camera so it's one camera and you don't really move around inside that range.  You stand or sit in one spot and the software is designed for that.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: May 04, 2017, 09:16:48 am »

It can definitely happen with PS VR.  I was standing near a kid last weekend with the PS VR headset on and the kid punched me square in the chest.  The funny thing was he didn't even hesitate to keep playing the game.  He was so immersed that real physical contact with a person (much bigger than himself) didn't deter him at all.  It was pretty funny.

The PS VR doesn't set up the same way, though.  It uses the PS camera so it's one camera and you don't really move around inside that range.  You stand or sit in one spot and the software is designed for that.

That is pretty damn funny! LMAO