Main > Everything Else

I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing

<< < (235/252) > >>

fallacy:
Hey Randy can you check out DEO VR on your best PC headset https://deovr.com/tags/8k-vr
You can download the App off of steam for free. In the app go to deovr.com. You can also use an xbox controller to get around the app if you want in VR.

I always thought youtube would be the best for VR content in the future but the 8k content people post on here is like 10 times better then anything you could stream from youtube. Not to mention I still can't figure out how you are supposed to find dedicated VR content on youtube. I am trying to figure out why this capability is here and no one is talking about it. Why are they able to stream it so much better than youtube? You can make entire video in 180 degree 3d instead of traditional with this capability and basically still have the same filming and editing cost… I guess the file sizes would have to be bigger.
You could feel so much more a part of the video instead of just watching it.

RandyT:

--- Quote from: fallacy on December 30, 2022, 02:26:06 am ---Hey Randy can you check out DEO VR on your best PC headset https://deovr.com/tags/8k-vr
You can download the App off of steam for free. In the app go to deovr.com. You can also use an xbox controller to get around the app if you want in VR.

I always thought youtube would be the best for VR content in the future but the 8k content people post on here is like 10 times better then anything you could stream from youtube. Not to mention I still can't figure out how you are supposed to find dedicated VR content on youtube. I am trying to figure out why this capability is here and no one is talking about it. Why are they able to stream it so much better than youtube? You can make entire video in 180 degree 3d instead of traditional with this capability and basically still have the same filming and editing cost… I guess the file sizes would have to be bigger.
You could feel so much more a part of the video instead of just watching it.

--- End quote ---

I haven't booted up the VR for this yet, but at first glance, I would say that it isn't that much better?  I see a lot of videos with very slow changes, which allows the compression algorithm to go into high gear, meaning very good quality with low streaming requirements.  When I looked at the roller coaster clip, it was choppy and definitely not 60fps, even on my desktop screen.  That one, like any with a lot of fast changing scenery, would likely need to be downloaded and played locally to actually get the true framerate at that high resolution. 

So basically, I don't think that there is any particular magic in the transport mechanism from that site.  It may just be that their streaming parameters place emphasis on image quality over frame-rate and allow downloading for the best results, where YT places emphasis on smooth playback at the cost of image quality.  This makes a fair amount of sense for them, as YT aims to make their free and paid content as viewable as possible over a broad spectrum of devices and doesn't allow the content to be downloaded.

Or am I misunderstanding the premise of the comment?

BTW, is the "Hey Randy" thing a meme now on this thread?  :lol

LTC:
Just saw this video. Looks like fun.

pbj:
I have spent a ridiculous amount of money assembling a PC that should far outclass a PS5.  What's the best VR headset to get now?

RandyT:

--- Quote from: pbj on February 16, 2023, 06:34:06 pm ---I have spent a ridiculous amount of money assembling a PC that should far outclass a PS5.  What's the best VR headset to get now?

--- End quote ---

Are you prepared to spend nearly as much on VR gear?  There's some crazy stuff in the pipeline, but some of it is $$$$.

The latest gizmos are pancake lenses, super-high-res OLED displays, eye tracking w/foveated rendering, and both inside out and base station tracking options on the same headset.

What's on your wishlist and how deep are the pockets?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version