Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing  (Read 230173 times)

fallacy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
Re: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing
« Reply #1160 on: October 04, 2022, 09:48:29 pm »
not alot of VR Art out there for game rooms and such. Thinking about making a whole colorful serious of these.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1161 on: November 14, 2022, 03:43:33 am »
Finally bought a Zotac rtx 3080 graphics card on facebook marketplace, I convinced him to sell it to me for $500. A week later I found out that the intel 13 Gen is out and the i5-13600k is getting really good reviews.  So I am like ok time to build a 2022 completely up to date top of the line PC.

I went with a Gigabyte top of the line Gen 12 motherboard instead of a Gen 13 motherboard because apparently there is no difference once you do a bios update to save some money.

I got a 1 TB samsung m.2 pci 4 which allows 64 GB transfer speeds off the hard drive. It will read and right so fast it might as well just be memory.

I always want to go Air cool. In my opinion those liquid cpu coolers go bad after a year and I don't want to have to hear the water pump on those things.  This has never been a problem for me before to go Air cool but these 12 and now 13 gen processors are now apparently run hot so I bought one of the best air coolers Noctua NH-D15 and one of the best cases for Air cooling Fractal Design Torrent. This case has fans coming from the bottom and the front and the Noctua double fans will blow it out the back.

Power Supply is an EVGA SuperNOVA G6 850 Watt, it is rated as one of the best on the cultists network https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

I bought a Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR5. Not much to say about that besides going to DDR5. Prices were stupid last year now they are fine so might as well go DDR5.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/zork2001/saved/#view=YpL3wP

Zakk

• Gosh, that's a real nice... ooh look, a penny! -- That Zakk is Just Mean
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:17:58 pm
« Reply #1162 on: November 16, 2022, 12:48:56 pm »
Whether folks like it or not, it's the future of gaming.  I don't think it will render flat gaming obsolete, mainly because there are some physical considerations which will get in the way for some.  But it's never going away.

BTW, I just had an idea for AR which would be incredibly cool.  Call it a "Home invasion simulation".  Imagine being able to walk around your house, office, abandoned building, etc. and having the unit automatically map out doorways, windows, points of entry and maybe even walls to break through.  Then, having creatures, burglars, meth-heads, or whatever you are most scared of, coming at you from all of those points to take out with your favorite firearm.  I'd almost buy one just for that.  If done well, it could put any arcade lightgun game to shame and might even leave you with some PTSD :lol

Nobody would make it. All it would take would be one person falling down some stairs from a jump scare and it would be done. Plus in order to map an entire house "believably" the headset would have to be uber powerful.

As an alternative, you could move out to the woods and wait for mainstream news to erroneously announce that your property has been evacuated due to forest fire. I can attest that you can play this game for real in that situation.
Back for nostalgia, based on nostalgia.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #1163 on: November 16, 2022, 03:58:53 pm »
They've already got "free roam VR" available here where you wander around an empty warehouse and wave your arms around at nothing.

:cheers:

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1164 on: November 16, 2022, 08:14:32 pm »

Already some games in AR you can try out. It is going to be bad ass when this is all smoothed out and it actually feels like things belong in your environment. I can't wait until this kind of tec can be taken outside.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1165 on: November 16, 2022, 10:11:11 pm »
Nobody would make it. All it would take would be one person falling down some stairs from a jump scare and it would be done. Plus in order to map an entire house "believably" the headset would have to be uber powerful.

Huh?  We are talking AR, not VR.  Mapping out a house is just a series of data points outlining walls, floors and maybe some furniture.  Extra CG elements would just be generated based on the locations of the structures.  Everything else is reality viewed through a hi-res camera (or two).  Stairs could be identified and omitted, with lots of warnings.     

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #1166 on: December 12, 2022, 11:13:20 am »
Randy, are these any good?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097P13V62

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1167 on: December 12, 2022, 01:02:18 pm »
Randy, are these any good?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097P13V62

I hear the pass-through image is amazing. :lol

But if you are seriously asking, I'm not sure why you would direct the question to me.  Looks like the dumbest thing I have ever seen targeted at VR and is probably just a sleep mask meant for wrinkle reduction.  But hey, if you sweat in VR and have wrinkles, give it a go.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1168 on: December 13, 2022, 03:04:18 am »
Having Air conditioning so your room does not go past 70 degrees is better.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1169 on: December 13, 2022, 01:41:07 pm »
Having Air conditioning so your room does not go past 70 degrees is better.

True that, but not always practical/possible.  It also doesn't help with units which generate a lot of heat and have a virtually hermetic seal to your face.  I have seen small (like tiny) muffin fans hacked into some headsets, which get power through the onboard USB connection (for units which have them).  Creating some channel of airflow will usually be the best solution in those instances, but have the drawback of possibly allowing for the introduction of stray light and/or noise.

I have no personal experience with this, as I don't work out in VR.  But I am aware of just how warm some of these units can get inside without ventilation.  Thankfully, some of the newer designs have taken this into consideration.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1170 on: December 30, 2022, 02:26:06 am »
Hey Randy can you check out DEO VR on your best PC headset https://deovr.com/tags/8k-vr
You can download the App off of steam for free. In the app go to deovr.com. You can also use an xbox controller to get around the app if you want in VR.

I always thought youtube would be the best for VR content in the future but the 8k content people post on here is like 10 times better then anything you could stream from youtube. Not to mention I still can't figure out how you are supposed to find dedicated VR content on youtube. I am trying to figure out why this capability is here and no one is talking about it. Why are they able to stream it so much better than youtube? You can make entire video in 180 degree 3d instead of traditional with this capability and basically still have the same filming and editing cost… I guess the file sizes would have to be bigger.
You could feel so much more a part of the video instead of just watching it.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1171 on: December 30, 2022, 12:29:32 pm »
Hey Randy can you check out DEO VR on your best PC headset https://deovr.com/tags/8k-vr
You can download the App off of steam for free. In the app go to deovr.com. You can also use an xbox controller to get around the app if you want in VR.

I always thought youtube would be the best for VR content in the future but the 8k content people post on here is like 10 times better then anything you could stream from youtube. Not to mention I still can't figure out how you are supposed to find dedicated VR content on youtube. I am trying to figure out why this capability is here and no one is talking about it. Why are they able to stream it so much better than youtube? You can make entire video in 180 degree 3d instead of traditional with this capability and basically still have the same filming and editing cost… I guess the file sizes would have to be bigger.
You could feel so much more a part of the video instead of just watching it.

I haven't booted up the VR for this yet, but at first glance, I would say that it isn't that much better?  I see a lot of videos with very slow changes, which allows the compression algorithm to go into high gear, meaning very good quality with low streaming requirements.  When I looked at the roller coaster clip, it was choppy and definitely not 60fps, even on my desktop screen.  That one, like any with a lot of fast changing scenery, would likely need to be downloaded and played locally to actually get the true framerate at that high resolution. 

So basically, I don't think that there is any particular magic in the transport mechanism from that site.  It may just be that their streaming parameters place emphasis on image quality over frame-rate and allow downloading for the best results, where YT places emphasis on smooth playback at the cost of image quality.  This makes a fair amount of sense for them, as YT aims to make their free and paid content as viewable as possible over a broad spectrum of devices and doesn't allow the content to be downloaded.

Or am I misunderstanding the premise of the comment?

BTW, is the "Hey Randy" thing a meme now on this thread?  :lol
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 12:32:26 pm by RandyT »

LTC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2024, 11:10:11 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #1172 on: January 12, 2023, 03:17:50 pm »
Just saw this video. Looks like fun.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #1173 on: February 16, 2023, 06:34:06 pm »
I have spent a ridiculous amount of money assembling a PC that should far outclass a PS5.  What's the best VR headset to get now?

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1174 on: February 16, 2023, 08:42:22 pm »
I have spent a ridiculous amount of money assembling a PC that should far outclass a PS5.  What's the best VR headset to get now?

Are you prepared to spend nearly as much on VR gear?  There's some crazy stuff in the pipeline, but some of it is $$$$.

The latest gizmos are pancake lenses, super-high-res OLED displays, eye tracking w/foveated rendering, and both inside out and base station tracking options on the same headset.

What's on your wishlist and how deep are the pockets?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #1175 on: February 16, 2023, 10:18:18 pm »
What’s the one I can use to see up 3D buttholes from the comfort of my desk chair?  Preferably under $1,000.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1176 on: February 17, 2023, 10:41:31 am »
What’s the one I can use to see up 3D buttholes from the comfort of my desk chair?  Preferably under $1,000.

Lol.  Doesn't sound like impeccable controller tracking and/or wireless is high on your list of requirements.  In all honesty, you are coming from a PSVR1, so I expect that you will be fairly impressed with just about anything PCVR. 

Most of the fancy stuff is still expensive and dealing with some growing pains.  Some of it is also coming from groups which are not well-established, and may not be around for long.  A good case in point is the Pico 4, which a lot of people seem to like, but recently had a sizable layoff.  And now that the honeymoon phase seems to be over, it seems like folks are less enamored with it.

I honestly think the best bang for buck at the moment is a HP Reverb G2 V2 (or a V1 if you can get a killer deal...unless you are running an AMD rig, which has some compatibility issues with the G2 V1) While many knock the tracking of the WMR controllers, they are so much better than the PSVR Move controllers, that there is really no comparison to be made there.   The displays are quite good and there's enough resolution to stress whatever fancy graphics card you have in your system when pushed to the max.  FOV is also decent, but not at Index levels. Still better than PSVR.  It's also a fairly mature product with native support in the Windows OS, so no worries about a fly-by-night company disappearing while leaving problems on the table.  The G2 is also decently priced and comes with very nice integrated audio.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 12:18:00 pm by RandyT »

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1177 on: February 18, 2023, 09:11:10 pm »

PC VR ---smurfing--- sucks right now. I think some of it has to do with windows 11 and all the sh*it I use is not being updated. Revive does not work anymore for my oculus games, my index controllers tracking software so I can use the controllers with my G2 is not working anymore. I have games on steam that just won't launch anymore.

I am kind of waiting for the VIVE XR Elite to come out $1100. I want it because it's VIVE and they make the best headsets besides Meta. I didn't know I was watching Norms' video and I believe in his opinion the most out of everyones; kind of sounded like he was a bit negative on it. He basically said it looked like a quest 2 with maybe even a smaller FOV. So now I just don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=almTJ6qv9Uc&t=248s&ab_channel=AdamSavage%E2%80%99sTested

Zakk

• Gosh, that's a real nice... ooh look, a penny! -- That Zakk is Just Mean
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:17:58 pm
« Reply #1178 on: February 20, 2023, 11:38:25 am »

PC VR ---smurfing--- sucks right now. I think some of it has to do with windows 11 and all the sh*it I use is not being updated. Revive does not work anymore for my oculus games, my index controllers tracking software so I can use the controllers with my G2 is not working anymore. I have games on steam that just won't launch anymore.

I am kind of waiting for the VIVE XR Elite to come out $1100. I want it because it's VIVE and they make the best headsets besides Meta. I didn't know I was watching Norms' video and I believe in his opinion the most out of everyones; kind of sounded like he was a bit negative on it. He basically said it looked like a quest 2 with maybe even a smaller FOV. So now I just don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=almTJ6qv9Uc&t=248s&ab_channel=AdamSavage%E2%80%99sTested

I got a few emails in the past few months that said that if I didn't sign up for a "meta" email and account, that they would discontinue access for all my old games, maybe that's what you're experiencing? I haven't bothered to update myself, as I don't like 3d enough to be ordered around by zuckerberg.
Back for nostalgia, based on nostalgia.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1179 on: February 25, 2023, 01:05:12 pm »
Well the PSVR 2 is out and it sounds like it is pretty great. Dammit this is like the worst case scenario for me, I don't want to invest in another walled garden. They even have working foveated rendering before the PC, like what the actual F*uck! Valve is like the only hope for a game centric upgraded PC VR headset and they just are not doing it.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1180 on: February 27, 2023, 01:25:27 pm »
Well the PSVR 2 is out and it sounds like it is pretty great. Dammit this is like the worst case scenario for me, I don't want to invest in another walled garden.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the eye-tracked foveated rendering, but it's already being disassembled by the hackers with talk of reverse engineering it.  I'd be surprised if there wasn't some limited PC functionality within a year. 

Sony may also come to their senses at some point.  At they scale they produce things, it would be hard to sell me on the idea that they lose money at the price these are being offered at.  And the more they sell, the quicker they get a return on their tooling and setup investment, and the quicker they can start dropping the price to bring more PS5 owners into the VR fold.

When Sony was asked about potential PC compatibility, the answer was supposedly a vague "PSVR2 was made for the Playstation5", which doesn't exactly sound like a "never gonna happen".  I guess we will see eventually.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1181 on: February 27, 2023, 09:17:20 pm »
There is no way in hell they will support the PC; hell in a few years they might drop it and barely even support it on the playstation.

PC Hacks never work very well and it would just be more frustrating than its worth.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1182 on: February 28, 2023, 01:44:49 pm »
There is no way in hell they will support the PC; hell in a few years they might drop it and barely even support it on the playstation.

PC Hacks never work very well and it would just be more frustrating than its worth.

The funny thing is, had you made the same statements about using a DS4 to play a PS Exclusive on a PC, they would not have aged very well.  Crystal balls only seem to sometimes work in retrospect ;)

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1183 on: February 28, 2023, 09:07:09 pm »
To support the PC is to support the platform and have it work with Steam. There would be ongoing support to work with the games between the motion controllers and the haptic feedback, to officially state they support the PC so they can do what… Lose tons of money by having people take their PSVR off the Walled Garden Playstation and move it to the PC permanently? They have already developed their own eco system and have a player base for it, thats where it will stay.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1184 on: March 01, 2023, 09:27:09 am »
To support the PC is to support the platform and have it work with Steam. There would be ongoing support to work with the games between the motion controllers and the haptic feedback, to officially state they support the PC so they can do what… Lose tons of money by having people take their PSVR off the Walled Garden Playstation and move it to the PC permanently? They have already developed their own eco system and have a player base for it, thats where it will stay.

Hackers do what hackers do.

Honestly, the only real standout items from the PSVR2 are those nice displays, eye-tracked foveated rendering (which becomes less useful as GPU/Sytem power increases) and some extra haptics.  If they can get the first one and the last one working, along with the tracking obviously, they would have most of what matters for PC users.  This boils down to decoding the USB data stream, a graphic driver, and making it look like any other headset to Steam.  All of which has been done in the past for the PSVR1.

It will take time, but it will happen in one shape or form.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 09:38:47 am by RandyT »

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1185 on: April 30, 2023, 03:32:04 am »
I just bought The Walking Dead Saints & Sinners Chapter 2. No one even told me it was out already. I don't get it. This is hands down the best game for VR. I think it is better than Half Life Alex. Half life Alex might have slightly better graphics but once you compare the gameplay and what you can actually explore and do especially with the AI NPC you never know what is going to happen.

One thing that annoyed me about Half life Alex was the Artwork or signs in the buildings, it was always just nothing with some made up different letters across things. Walking Dead is legit if you are going through lets say an abandoned school you might see a banner across the Gym that says Go Tigers, you will see left kids art work, posters on the wall, leftover notes on chalkboards.

It also does not look that great on the Quest 2, you have to go PC all the way on this one. I am not sure how it looks on Playstation, probably pretty similar.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #1186 on: April 30, 2023, 09:11:16 am »
I’ve been playing Trevor Saves the Universe.  Dusted off my PSVR… I think I bought it two years ago.  It’s been enjoyable.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1187 on: June 25, 2023, 12:37:06 pm »
Quest 3 is going to be the biggest no brainer, don't even need to look at reviews purchase for a VR headset to date. This is going to be another big step for VR. I can tell alot more people are going to get their first VR headset when this thing releases.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1188 on: June 27, 2023, 12:37:51 pm »
Quest 3 is going to be the biggest no brainer, don't even need to look at reviews purchase for a VR headset to date. This is going to be another big step for VR. I can tell alot more people are going to get their first VR headset when this thing releases.

I think Meta should send a nice "thank you" card to AMD and Nvidia.  The pricing on PC GPU's will all but ensure the reasonable success of this headset, provided it's actually the step up they promise, maybe even luring in those who detest the invasive data collection efforts of Meta.  The only thing which might stand in it's way is the market saturation achieved by the Quest 2.  The "normies" who have already bought that headset, and aren't heavy VR users, likely won't bite.  $500 is still a big chunk of money for the folks they are targeting, especially in this economy.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1189 on: June 27, 2023, 11:11:45 pm »
$500 is toilet paper in this inflationary economy. Through in $100 bucks and help save the clock tower is how much money is valued at now.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #1190 on: June 28, 2023, 11:17:43 pm »
Apples, new headset looks interesting.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1191 on: June 29, 2023, 12:12:43 am »
Apples, new headset looks interesting.
:dunno I think they could have done better... maybe at least have shown 1 piece of interesting software that works with it. It's more got me scratching my head on what's the point more than anything.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1192 on: July 04, 2023, 05:15:59 pm »
$500 is toilet paper in this inflationary economy. Through in $100 bucks and help save the clock tower is how much money is valued at now.

The average American household is now carrying about $10k in credit card debt, which means they have likely resorted to it for necessities at this point.  If you think that won't affect the launch of a $500 toy, I'd say that you were fortunate to be living in a financially secure bubble.   :cheers:

BTW, they appear to have made some headway in getting the PSVR2 working on the PC.  It's only under Linux at the moment, and they still need to RE the controller stream, but that supposedly wasn't the part they were concerned about.  It still might not happen, but they haven't stopped working on it.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1193 on: July 05, 2023, 02:10:45 am »
The average American household is now carrying about $10k in credit card debt, which means they have likely resorted to it for necessities at this point.  If you think that won't affect the launch of a $500 toy, I'd say that you were fortunate to be living in a financially secure bubble.   :cheers:

BTW, they appear to have made some headway in getting the PSVR2 working on the PC.  It's only under Linux at the moment, and they still need to RE the controller stream, but that supposedly wasn't the part they were concerned about.  It still might not happen, but they haven't stopped working on it.

Then what's the problem in adding an extra $500 to these losers already 10k debt? Why stop there?

I never said it was impossible for someone to hack the PSVR 2.  I said Sony would never support the PC and you kept insisting they might.  If someone hacks it cool… but there will still be too many individual games not working, support problems for me to want to deal with it.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1194 on: July 05, 2023, 11:34:57 am »
Then what's the problem in adding an extra $500 to these losers already 10k debt? Why stop there?

Because based on the average interest rates and minimum monthly payments, it ends up being an over $1000 investment, not a $500 one.

I never said it was impossible for someone to hack the PSVR 2.  I said Sony would never support the PC and you kept insisting they might.  If someone hacks it cool… but there will still be too many individual games not working, support problems for me to want to deal with it.

Actually, I maintained that it would eventually be possible to use it on PC by whatever means, without ruling out the possibility for 1st party support.  Obviously, games not specifically designed to take advantage of some of the less standard features, wouldn't use them, but I don't see why a decently implemented spoofer driver which emulates an Index or other common headset, would result in individual games not working. 

The only real draw I see to the unit for PC users is the RGB-Stripe OLED display technology they used.  If the hackers can get the basics functional, it would cover the bases for most PC users, who really don't need to worry about foveated rendering.  But they big roadblock currently is that they have only managed to hack a display driver under Linux, with indications that a hardware adapter might be required for Windows users, which would add cost and complexity and ultimately make such a solution less attractive.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1195 on: July 05, 2023, 05:23:33 pm »
I don't know it is not that big of a deal. I never thought the PSVR 2 was that much of an upgrade over something like the G2 anyway. In Fact I here the clarity itself is even worse. I am just going to wait for an actual good PC Vr upgrade like the Quest 3 or the Valve Deckard, I will probably buy both of them.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1196 on: September 28, 2023, 09:34:48 pm »
Are you all planning to pre-order the Quest 3 for the release on October 10th? It looks fantastic!  :notworthy:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C8VKH1ZH?tag=mashable-editpost-20&ascsubtag=00lJFyR1iY3UGrPDkHGprcm&th=1

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #1197 on: September 29, 2023, 11:15:00 pm »
Will I be able to look up butts?

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1198 on: September 30, 2023, 01:38:16 pm »

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1199 on: October 08, 2023, 10:57:12 pm »
few more days