Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing  (Read 133294 times)

fallacy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2021, 04:14:08 pm
Re: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing
« Reply #1120 on: May 16, 2021, 09:52:56 pm »
VR is at an all time low for me. The Quest has killed PC VR and the bound pushing PC VR games. Not being able to upgrade your graphics card for the last year has also done no favors. I  want more FOV, more resolution combined with better games than even Half life Alex to take advantage of it and it has all completely stopped. I don't know when it will start up again but at this rate we are looking at another 2 years minimum of nothing.

They just announced the Vive Pro 2… WOW that's SH@T!

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:24:17 pm
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #1121 on: May 21, 2021, 04:16:46 pm »
Vive Pro 2 looks interesting. Boost in FoV, higher refresh rate, significant boost in resolution, and (thankfully) utilizing SteamVR tracking. I'm skeptical of the contrast ratio with the their switch to LCD from OLED, but I we'll just have to wait and see how it performs.

Insofar as the state of VR as a whole, I do feel like I'm in a holding pattern right now. This past year I played VR the absolute least since getting into it those 5 years ago. Instead, I started catching up on my backlog of non-VR gaming titles. And this made me realize what I really want are more in-depth games for VR that I can really sink my teeth into.

For example, I recently played Dark Souls for the first time. While playing it, I kept thinking how amazing it would be if a game like In Death had a Dark Souls-style world to explore and an extended campaign to complete.

It feels like we're still a ways off from the level of VR adoption necessary to drive such gaming experiences in VR.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1122 on: May 21, 2021, 09:18:13 pm »
Vive Pro 2 looks interesting. Boost in FoV, higher refresh rate, significant boost in resolution, and (thankfully) utilizing SteamVR tracking. I'm skeptical of the contrast ratio with the their switch to LCD from OLED, but I we'll just have to wait and see how it performs.

Insofar as the state of VR as a whole, I do feel like I'm in a holding pattern right now. This past year I played VR the absolute least since getting into it those 5 years ago. Instead, I started catching up on my backlog of non-VR gaming titles. And this made me realize what I really want are more in-depth games for VR that I can really sink my teeth into.

For example, I recently played Dark Souls for the first time. While playing it, I kept thinking how amazing it would be if a game like In Death had a Dark Souls-style world to explore and an extended campaign to complete.

That FOV claim on the Vive pro 2 is a straight up lie. It is the same case as the Vive and Vive pro. Unless you think moving your eyes close to the lens in regular Vive is 120 FOV.

The Vive pro they pretty much just put in a higher resolution screen at the same time somehow managing to put in worse headphones than the Vive deluxe audio strap and a worse mic than the regular Vive. Then they had the freakin audacity to charge more for the headset by itself than they charged for the entire launch price of the regular Vive complete with base stations, motion controllers and free games.

I don't trust them at all. I don't know if they changed out the lenses this time from the god ray mess that was on the original Vive but I feel all they did was once again put on new screens and called it pro 2.

In Death is a great game it has great gameplay, simple and effective satisfying and never leaving you board in VR. I just found out the Quest is getting updates to that game the PC is not getting. A different studio took over and it is just focused on the Quest sales.

Walking Dead Saints and Sinners is a great game, I will go back to that every week or so. Boneworks is cool I just keep getting motion sick playing it. Half-life Alyx is crazy, that game looks like it was pulled 5 years from the future. Literally the game engines of today like Unity don't have the capability of even creating something like that today. Not much else worthy of spending a lot of time in.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:24:17 pm
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #1123 on: May 22, 2021, 01:14:55 pm »
I'm willing to wait until the Vive Pro 2 is released before passing judgement. There was a lot of naysaying about the original Vive Pro, but I found it to be quite a decent headset and didn't run into the issues many people had reported, especially with the audio. It remains my preferred headset to use for VR.

Funny you mention that about HL: Alyx, because that's the main reason I still haven't played it (that, plus I haven't played HL: Ep1 and 2). I'm worried that if I do play it, it's just going to leave me wanting for other similar experiences in VR. Though this may be moot by now, since this past year I've been left wanting for those experiences anyway.

Saints & Sinners is an odd one for me. It's a competently made VR game with solid production values. But I couldn't really get into it, I think mainly due to the theme. I was never a big fan of the whole zombie thing, so despite it being a decent game, I didn't end up playing it much. Had it been sci-fi themed or grimdark fantasy, I probably would have put more time into it.

I guess there isn't much else to do but just wait and see what appears on the horizon. VR is still really cool technology, we just need some more in-depth content to go with it.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1124 on: June 02, 2021, 08:51:45 pm »
I want to say you don't need to play Half Life 1 and 2 but the ending to Half Life Alyx will make no sense unless you have played 2.

I would say just watch the ending to Half Life 2. You are playing the girl in Half Life Alex and she gets involved in some time travel ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- and changes the ending to Half Life 2

« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 09:38:13 pm by fallacy »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:22:48 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #1125 on: June 02, 2021, 11:59:22 pm »
Apparently there’s some No Mans Sky update.  I paid ~$7 for that game years ago.  Is there any actual game there yet?
I aspire to be involved in the classic gaming community.