Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing  (Read 230134 times)

fallacy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
Re: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing
« Reply #1120 on: May 16, 2021, 09:52:56 pm »
VR is at an all time low for me. The Quest has killed PC VR and the bound pushing PC VR games. Not being able to upgrade your graphics card for the last year has also done no favors. I  want more FOV, more resolution combined with better games than even Half life Alex to take advantage of it and it has all completely stopped. I don't know when it will start up again but at this rate we are looking at another 2 years minimum of nothing.

They just announced the Vive Pro 2… WOW that's SH@T!

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #1121 on: May 21, 2021, 04:16:46 pm »
Vive Pro 2 looks interesting. Boost in FoV, higher refresh rate, significant boost in resolution, and (thankfully) utilizing SteamVR tracking. I'm skeptical of the contrast ratio with the their switch to LCD from OLED, but I we'll just have to wait and see how it performs.

Insofar as the state of VR as a whole, I do feel like I'm in a holding pattern right now. This past year I played VR the absolute least since getting into it those 5 years ago. Instead, I started catching up on my backlog of non-VR gaming titles. And this made me realize what I really want are more in-depth games for VR that I can really sink my teeth into.

For example, I recently played Dark Souls for the first time. While playing it, I kept thinking how amazing it would be if a game like In Death had a Dark Souls-style world to explore and an extended campaign to complete.

It feels like we're still a ways off from the level of VR adoption necessary to drive such gaming experiences in VR.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1122 on: May 21, 2021, 09:18:13 pm »
Vive Pro 2 looks interesting. Boost in FoV, higher refresh rate, significant boost in resolution, and (thankfully) utilizing SteamVR tracking. I'm skeptical of the contrast ratio with the their switch to LCD from OLED, but I we'll just have to wait and see how it performs.

Insofar as the state of VR as a whole, I do feel like I'm in a holding pattern right now. This past year I played VR the absolute least since getting into it those 5 years ago. Instead, I started catching up on my backlog of non-VR gaming titles. And this made me realize what I really want are more in-depth games for VR that I can really sink my teeth into.

For example, I recently played Dark Souls for the first time. While playing it, I kept thinking how amazing it would be if a game like In Death had a Dark Souls-style world to explore and an extended campaign to complete.

That FOV claim on the Vive pro 2 is a straight up lie. It is the same case as the Vive and Vive pro. Unless you think moving your eyes close to the lens in regular Vive is 120 FOV.

The Vive pro they pretty much just put in a higher resolution screen at the same time somehow managing to put in worse headphones than the Vive deluxe audio strap and a worse mic than the regular Vive. Then they had the freakin audacity to charge more for the headset by itself than they charged for the entire launch price of the regular Vive complete with base stations, motion controllers and free games.

I don't trust them at all. I don't know if they changed out the lenses this time from the god ray mess that was on the original Vive but I feel all they did was once again put on new screens and called it pro 2.

In Death is a great game it has great gameplay, simple and effective satisfying and never leaving you board in VR. I just found out the Quest is getting updates to that game the PC is not getting. A different studio took over and it is just focused on the Quest sales.

Walking Dead Saints and Sinners is a great game, I will go back to that every week or so. Boneworks is cool I just keep getting motion sick playing it. Half-life Alyx is crazy, that game looks like it was pulled 5 years from the future. Literally the game engines of today like Unity don't have the capability of even creating something like that today. Not much else worthy of spending a lot of time in.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #1123 on: May 22, 2021, 01:14:55 pm »
I'm willing to wait until the Vive Pro 2 is released before passing judgement. There was a lot of naysaying about the original Vive Pro, but I found it to be quite a decent headset and didn't run into the issues many people had reported, especially with the audio. It remains my preferred headset to use for VR.

Funny you mention that about HL: Alyx, because that's the main reason I still haven't played it (that, plus I haven't played HL: Ep1 and 2). I'm worried that if I do play it, it's just going to leave me wanting for other similar experiences in VR. Though this may be moot by now, since this past year I've been left wanting for those experiences anyway.

Saints & Sinners is an odd one for me. It's a competently made VR game with solid production values. But I couldn't really get into it, I think mainly due to the theme. I was never a big fan of the whole zombie thing, so despite it being a decent game, I didn't end up playing it much. Had it been sci-fi themed or grimdark fantasy, I probably would have put more time into it.

I guess there isn't much else to do but just wait and see what appears on the horizon. VR is still really cool technology, we just need some more in-depth content to go with it.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1124 on: June 02, 2021, 08:51:45 pm »
I want to say you don't need to play Half Life 1 and 2 but the ending to Half Life Alyx will make no sense unless you have played 2.

I would say just watch the ending to Half Life 2. You are playing the girl in Half Life Alex and she gets involved in some time travel ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- and changes the ending to Half Life 2

« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 09:38:13 pm by fallacy »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #1125 on: June 02, 2021, 11:59:22 pm »
Apparently there’s some No Mans Sky update.  I paid ~$7 for that game years ago.  Is there any actual game there yet?

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1126 on: June 03, 2022, 03:41:50 pm »

Just a note for those who may not know.  Someone named "Praydog" has made an amazing mod for Resident Evil 7, which finally brings VR to the PC version of that game.  It's much better than the PSVR version and allows for shooting and other functions using VR controllers.  Super easy to install and it really feels like a 1st party effort.  Not only that, he has done the same for RE2, RE3 and RE8.

And further, the entire RE franchise is on sale now on Steam.  I tried the RE:7 mod first and then immediately went to Humble Bundle for the rest of them (where they were on sale at the time).  Easily one of the best experiences in VR right now, but it's not for scaredy cats.  It's gets pretty visceral at times.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1127 on: June 06, 2022, 01:03:29 am »
Thanks for the heads up. I had to youtube it because I had not heard of it yet. Graphics look pretty good but it does not look like you can move or pick up any items which is kind of a let down after coming off of Walking Dead and Half Life Alex. I just bought it off steam I will mod it later

The development of big VR games feels like it has all but stopped because of low sales and now with gotcha games like Diablo Immortal coming out and making billions from the stupidest that society has to offer we are not going to see anything good be developed for VR in quite some time.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1128 on: June 07, 2022, 01:00:04 pm »
The development of big VR games feels like it has all but stopped because of low sales and now with gotcha games like Diablo Immortal coming out and making billions from the stupidest that society has to offer we are not going to see anything good be developed for VR in quite some time.

I think all of the hand-wringing about the Quest bringing down (in quality) PCVR was justified.  Developers are following the path of least resistance and possibilities for the highest returns.  Unfortunately for them, it's not a long term strategy for success, as the more shovelware there is, the more likely the Quest will end up like the Wii when users realize that they have experienced everything the unit has to offer and become bored with it.

I'm really hoping the next version of the Quest comes standard with a micro-HDMI and USB port so that it can be tethered directly to a PC if the user wants to do that.  At least that way, there will be an impetus for developers to up their game in order to grab that potential market segment, along with a higher likelihood that users will jump the gap to the full fledged experience.  Of course, that goes against the plans of the FB overlords, so I'm not holding my breath.

On the other hand, I think I would be perfectly happy if the modding of older PC titles for VR took off in a big way.  It's the path I thought 1st party developers should have pursued in the first place.  The games from 5 to 10 years ago were far less demanding with regard to system resources, but were still fully developed, long-form experiences.  They can also be had relatively cheap on sale and many a gamer might already have those titles in their respective collections.  IMHO, 1st party developers are missing the boat, as they could have charged for these additions to their library and squeezed out more revenue.

RE:7 is a great example.  5 years old and now pretty much able to hold it's own against a game like HL:Alyx in VR.  It's still not as polished, but I don't think the modder is done with the series yet.  From what I have heard, and I don't know if it's true, he has Patreon subscribers which amount to about 25k of income per month.  So it can be a lucrative gig for talented individuals.  And all born out of frustration with Capcom refusing to give PC users what was available to PSVR users at launch time.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #1129 on: June 07, 2022, 04:27:52 pm »
I need to dust off the PSVR and try Resident Evil 7 again.  I managed to get through my wife stabbing me with a screwdriver (been there, done that) but I noped out in level 2 when the cannibals started chasing me around the hallways and eating me. 

I recently tried The Inpatient for PSVR.  It's pretty cool but sadly started resorting to jump scares.  I played for awhile with the headset on my lap and watching the TV screen.  Should probably finish that one up.

mameotron

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 04:42:49 pm
  • A mamer is you...
« Reply #1130 on: June 10, 2022, 11:54:56 am »
Apparently there’s some No Mans Sky update.  I paid ~$7 for that game years ago.  Is there any actual game there yet?

Eh, not really.  A lot of game mechanics have been updated, and the reviews I read say it's close to becoming the game it was hyped up to be.  But there is still the mindless tedium of constantly having to mine the same resources over and over again.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #1131 on: June 10, 2022, 10:44:13 pm »
There was some weird glitch on the PS4 version where it sounds like someone behind you is kicking an empty trash can if you use a Dualshock for controls.  It was so annoying I threw in the towel.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1132 on: September 01, 2022, 03:14:14 pm »
Christmas for PCVR users might be in just a couple of weeks.  Fingers crossed!  Half-Life 2 VR Mod. :)

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1133 on: September 19, 2022, 03:06:21 pm »

Half-life 2 VR mod has been released now.  I haven't had the time to check it out yet, but initial reviews seem quite good.  Sounds like there may be a few bugs left to squash though.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1134 on: September 19, 2022, 11:03:31 pm »
Have you finished Half-Lif Alex yet? Also why does Half-Life 2 still have better graphics than like 90% of the games today.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1135 on: September 19, 2022, 11:16:47 pm »
Have we seen the new Quest pro leak? I am not going to lie. I am kind of looking forward to this even though it is not giving me my most wanted upgrades for a new headset such as a higher FOV and resolution. Mostly this seems like the very start of getting some kind of AR into peoples households. I am so ready for AR, I can already imagine a world in 2045 where everyone wears a pair of glasses walking around outside hooked to some kind of Quantum computer that uses the entire world as some kind of shared video game. I have some ideas, I am writing a movie script on this very idea at the moment.

Ow and certain E-Bikes will be allowed to get around, the AR Graphic will change too look like you are riding some kind of mount to other players. However if you were to be driving around a car while inside the game it would be instant game death.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 11:30:27 pm by fallacy »

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1136 on: September 20, 2022, 07:43:05 am »
Have you finished Half-Lif Alex yet? Also why does Half-Life 2 still have better graphics than like 90% of the games today.

I think I made it almost to the end (about 80%) and it was getting hard so I got distracted with something else :).   Seriously though, as much as I love my Reverb G2, in a game like Alyx where everything is dark almost all of the time, I nearly went back to my Odyssey.  I really want an OLED high resolution display.  The dark scenes are so much better when black is actually the absence of light as it should be.

RE: Graphics

This goes along with what I have been saying about ports.  Most of the games made in the last 10 or even 15 years for pancake gaming have better graphics than most VR games.  They were fully developed AAA titles, so a lot of time was spent to make the graphics as good as they could be for the hardware which was currently available.  Almost always, this means that they are better than the lower budget VR offerings from indie developers of today.

And if you mean today-today, there was no Quest headset to provide impetus to hobble the graphics so it could be run.  :P

The Quest Pro looks interesting until I saw the $1500 price tag.  For me to pay that much for VR, it had better look like actual reality inside the unit and I hadn't better have my experiences limited to a walled garden where my data is being harvested the entire time.  I also have virtually zero interest in AR.  To me, AR is like pot.  It takes the edge off, but you are still mostly functional.  I am more of a "heroin" guy in that sense :)  If I stick something on my head, I want as much immersion as I can get, so whatever extra they are charging for that feature is just wasted money to me.

I don't know how the PSVR2 is going to compare, but for the same money or less, one is likely going to be able to get a high-end gaming console and the headset.  Hopefully it will be a good unit, and someone will find a way to make it usable with a PC.  I believe it will have a high-res RGB-stripe OLED display, so it already checks one of my boxes.  Still going to harvest data through their walled garden, but given a choice, I'd feel better about that with Sony than Meta (FB).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 08:07:50 am by RandyT »

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1137 on: September 20, 2022, 11:50:55 am »
I don't know how the PSVR2 is going to compare, but for the same money or less, one is likely going to be able to get a high-end gaming console and the headset.  Hopefully it will be a good unit, and someone will find a way to make it usable with a PC.  I believe it will have a high-res RGB-stripe OLED display, so it already checks one of my boxes.  Still going to harvest data through their walled garden, but given a choice, I'd feel better about that with Sony than Meta (FB).

PSVR2 is fail. I have been using the HP G2 and Index controllers for the last two years and I think that combo is better than the PSVR2 and I already want more from my VR. I also feel like the PlayStation is much more of a walled guardian then the Quest. Have you not heard of things like SideQuest? Tons of software you can put on your quest for free. PlayStation was about to quit the VR game because they could not compete with Quest and they should have quit. Maybe this would have been interesting had it come out literally 2 years ago but like always they are way late to the party and now Meta Quest tech is far more advanced. 

I also heard that the PSVR1 games will not be compatible with the new headset… lol what a circus clown joke is all I have to say about that.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1138 on: September 20, 2022, 12:47:10 pm »
PSVR2 is fail. I have been using the HP G2 and Index controllers for the last two years and I think that combo is better than the PSVR2 and I already want more from my VR. I also feel like the PlayStation is much more of a walled guardian then the Quest. Have you not heard of things like SideQuest? Tons of software you can put on your quest for free. PlayStation was about to quit the VR game because they could not compete with Quest and they should have quit. Maybe this would have been interesting had it come out literally 2 years ago but like always they are way late to the party and now Meta Quest tech is far more advanced. 

I also heard that the PSVR1 games will not be compatible with the new headset… lol what a circus clown joke is all I have to say about that.

Eye tracking for foveated rendering coupled with high-resolution OLED and haptic feedback in the headset is a fail?  Not to mention high-quality audio and advanced controller features.  Seems like some interesting innovation to me.  And I call BS on the "Sony about to quit VR" statement.  This has been in development forever, and any statements Sony might have made like that was just to throw off Microsoft :).

It also manages to do what it does with a single lightweight USB-C cable, which bodes well for the possibility of a PC hack down the line, if not eventually supported directly by Sony.  They have started making some of their exclusive software titles for PC, so you never know.

It's definitely not the end-all and there are definitely some things I don't care for (looking at you, Fresnel), but I expect that I will end up with a PS5 at some point anyway and it would be great to pull a plug and use it on the PC as well.  And because of that, I won't be an early adopter if I do get one.  But if it does end up being PC compatible and works well, I'll probably be in.

If I could run the Quest (1,2,pro) without needing to be signed-in to Facebook, I would own one already.  I don't, nor do I plan to ever use that platform.   But if that new one knocks my socks off, I'd probably consider it.  As I said, it would need to be something very spectacular for me to go against good judgment AND drop $1500 on it :).

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1139 on: September 21, 2022, 12:27:44 am »
I have a hard time seeing why they would put out a headset for 1,500 or anywhere close to that. Does not make any sense with their VR adoption rate that they have been working to bring up. I mean I want to almost say they will bring it out for $500 -$600, after that it becomes a hard sell for none VR enthusiast. I mean if they are going to offer AR pass through most people don't even have a concept of what that is.

brandon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 03:08:43 pm
  • I <3 arcade games.
« Reply #1140 on: September 21, 2022, 12:41:35 am »
I have a hard time seeing why they would put out a headset for 1,500 or anywhere close to that.

it's true unfortunately.
https://uploadvr.com/cambria-800-price-more/

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1141 on: September 21, 2022, 12:21:11 pm »
I have a hard time seeing why they would put out a headset for 1,500 or anywhere close to that. Does not make any sense with their VR adoption rate that they have been working to bring up. I mean I want to almost say they will bring it out for $500 -$600, after that it becomes a hard sell for none VR enthusiast. I mean if they are going to offer AR pass through most people don't even have a concept of what that is.

I think it's great that they are pushing the envelope, especially where the lenses and making the unit more compact are concerned.  But I get the feeling that the price is going to cause it to flop hard.  The main reason the Quest line did so well was the combination of ease-of-use and low cost of entry.  Without that last part, and many Quest owners now tethering or going through much of the same more complicated steps to attach to the PC, I have to wonder where the "hook" will be if not solely for the AR.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 12:48:59 pm by RandyT »

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1142 on: September 21, 2022, 12:56:19 pm »
What I think will be cool about the AR is it will basically feel like the first days of VR for me again. I will try every Demo on side Quest people come up with. The quest cameras can scan your walls, floors and ceilings and then use that data to place graphics in the appropriate places. Who knows the kind of crazy stuff they could do. You could literally walk into different rooms of your house and see things happening only in them, you could have different animals running around your house from room to room. You could probably place furniture in your home to see if it looks good.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1143 on: September 21, 2022, 01:35:58 pm »
What I think will be cool about the AR is it will basically feel like the first days of VR for me again. I will try every Demo on side Quest people come up with. The quest cameras can scan your walls, floors and ceilings and then use that data to place graphics in the appropriate places. Who knows the kind of crazy stuff they could do. You could literally walk into different rooms of your house and see things happening only in them, you could have different animals running around your house from room to room. You could probably place furniture in your home to see if it looks good.

I can see it's usefulness for a number of things.  Trying out paint and wall-paper patterns for a room, and all that related stuff.  Maybe that is their angle?  A way to market goods and services with Meta as the paid gatekeeper?  Not a bad strategy, but again, getting it into the hands of the masses is going to be tough at the price.  I can't help but think back to all the money and effort MS put behind their AR tech, which hasn't really found it's way into the consumer market.  It also had a price barrier.  Then again, it wasn't also VR capable, so maybe this is the smarter approach.

I also didn't quite get the example I often see of having a couple of virtual monitors on the sides of your actual monitor.  While it would be a neat trick to make that a seamless scenario, I struggle to understand why you would even need a real one in the mix, at least in cases where there weren't others viewing it outside of the goggles.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #1144 on: September 21, 2022, 04:26:05 pm »
PSVR2 has eye tracking?  That'll be interesting.  Pulled up a press release... and they're going with Tobii, which makes sense.  I was negotiating a purchase from SMI and then Apple bought them, so we went with Tobii Pro.  It was something like $32,000 at research pricing if I recall correctly.  It recorded both what you were looking at and where your eyes were.  God help you if another woman walks by and your wife sees that footage.  Looks like Apple has completely disappeared SMI from the world, which is a shame as the scientists I pushed paper for considered them superior to Tobii.

To drop that down from a $30k+ piece of research equipment to a living room baby toy is remarkable.

:cheers:

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1145 on: September 21, 2022, 06:53:07 pm »
To drop that down from a $30k+ piece of research equipment to a living room baby toy is remarkable.

That's what millions of units can do for ya.  Even better is that they are actually putting it to good use.  Only the area you look at directly is rendered at full resolution, which they claim is providing a 4x performance boost.  Supposedly, it happens so quickly that it's not even really noticeable.  This was all theory and "pie in the sky" a few short years ago.  Unfortunately, even if a hack comes along for the PC to use the headset, it's things like this that often can't be used to their full potential as it will require specific host/application support.

At minimum I think Valve would need to get involved, unless someone is able to develop a special driver to do it automatically.  I still hope Sony offers official PC support, even as unlikely as this will probably be.  I'm finding myself getting somewhat excited for what this one has to offer.  But this doesn't bode well for that happening:

"PSVR games are not compatible with PSVR 2, because PSVR 2 is designed to truly deliver a next-generation VR experience," said Nishino. "PSVR 2 has much more advanced features like all new controller haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, inside-out tracking, eye-tracking, and 3D audio. This means that developing games for PSVR 2 requires a whole different approach than the original PSVR."

There is nothing whatsoever in what has been said on the subject which would preclude the PS5 and PSVR2 from running PSVR games.  Unless the PS5 has a hardware level PS4 inside for compatibility reasons (they have done this with previous machines) it should only take a special driver to extrapolate the positioning data from the headset and controls to make it look the same as the data from the camera, headset and move controllers.  If they won't even do that, an official PC driver is probably a pipe-dream :(.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 10:30:08 am by RandyT »

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1146 on: September 21, 2022, 08:03:10 pm »
Why the fu*k would they ever support the PC; walled garden is part of their business plan. They don't want anyone to wander off with their Headsets never to plug it back into a Playstation or buy anything off the Playstation.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1147 on: September 21, 2022, 09:20:36 pm »
Why the fu*k would they ever support the PC; walled garden is part of their business plan. They don't want anyone to wander off with their Headsets never to plug it back into a Playstation or buy anything off the Playstation.

Because for some reason, Sony has made at least 10 of their exclusive properties available on PC now?

I think it depends on whether they can turn a profit on the headset.  Let's face it, VR probably isn't going to be the thing which sells PS5s.  Hell, there's no VR for it now and you still can't get your hands on one easily at retail 2 years after it was released.  If Sony gets into VR in any meaningful way with their properties, wants to broaden the audience and they are making money on the headsets, they'd be foolish not to.  Also, the more they make, the cheaper it is to make them.

There's also the market dynamic.  Someone with a high-end PC and an RTX 30something (or better) probably isn't going to dump that and buy a PS5 for a VR headset.  But if they do want a PS5, for whatever reason, such as playing MP with console only friends, they will get one regardless.  Likewise, if a consumer can't justify or afford the cost of a comparable PC, and wants higher-end VR, it's not like they are going to go the PC route instead just because the PSVR2 happened to work with it.

The outliers are the consumers with aging PC's and an interest in VR.  They could go either way.  But why not sell them a Sony VR unit (at a profit) as a first step to bringing them into the fold of console players with the promise of a better VR experience on the PS5 using the headset they already own and at a cost that's less than a new PC/GPU?

I'm not so naive as to think this will actually happen, but Sony is looking in the direction of the PC for apparently "reasons."  I just don't think selling a good VR headset to the general public, again at a profit, will be as detrimental to their business model as you, and perhaps they, might believe in the current market.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #1148 on: September 21, 2022, 11:25:43 pm »
Are PS5s really still that hard to get?  I signed up for some waiting list and they’ve contacted me three or four times to get one.  I’ve offered my invitation here and nobody wanted it.  I’ve walked into GameStop twice in the last two years and they were always quick to tell me they had it.

:dunno

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1149 on: September 21, 2022, 11:41:23 pm »
Are PS5s really still that hard to get?  I signed up for some waiting list and they’ve contacted me three or four times to get one.  I’ve offered my invitation here and nobody wanted it.  I’ve walked into GameStop twice in the last two years and they were always quick to tell me they had it.

:dunno

Walmart.com - 3rd party sellers. $210+ premium over retail
Amazon.com - Amazon selling at retail, but there's a waiting list and you may not get one even if on the "list"
Gamestop.com - Currently unavailable

Still a far cry from walking into Walmart at your leisure and walking out with one because you had 5 bills burning a hole in your pocket :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 11:43:15 pm by RandyT »

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1150 on: September 22, 2022, 12:44:19 am »
Still need a graphics card, prices are still pissing me off. I should be able to get 380 TI for like $500 now. Overpriced bullsh@t

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1151 on: September 22, 2022, 08:31:37 am »
Still need a graphics card, prices are still pissing me off. I should be able to get 380 TI for like $500 now. Overpriced bullsh@t

The worst thing about shopping for one right now is knowing that the 40xx/50xx series is right around the corner.  Prices on used seems to be dropping, so it seems that market is in flux.  Either way you go, it seems the smart money is on waiting to see what happens over the next few months.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1152 on: September 23, 2022, 03:19:42 pm »
Looks like Meta could have a problem coming their way with the Pico4.  Basically a "Quest 3" but not attached to FB in any way.  Pancake lenses, software controlled mechanical IPD adjustments, well balanced headset with good sized batteries in the back, higher-res panels, full-color high resolution pass-through camera, supposedly decent audio and an expanding library of popular VR titles.  All for 499 euros (256gb).  There's also a pricier Pro model supposedly with eye-tracking and foveated rendering.  Won't launch in the US for a while, and no idea about the price for the US models if/when it does.

There's also some very interesting news on the software front.  Supposedly the same guy who did the RE7 VR mod is working with some other folks on a universal VR "injector" for Unreal Engine 4 games, using the native support in that engine.  I guess it's been reported to already be working well.  If that's true, it could mean hundreds of games already out there could suddenly be playable in VR in a much better way than something like VorpX or any of the other hacks.

Then there's the Valve project which is supposed to be stand-alone and uses x86 architecture in the same way as their current handheld.  But I'm sure that this will be $$$$ and it won't be even close to reality for at least a couple of years.

Lots of activity right now in a sector folks have been calling "dead" or "dying"  for years.  Weird. :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 03:21:21 pm by RandyT »

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1153 on: September 26, 2022, 10:10:02 pm »
VR is never going to die. I still use mine like every day… for porn but whatever! My dad has still been playing Death Unchained  on the Quest almost everyday for well over a year now. In Fact it was my MOMs birthday yesterday, I brought my Quest, my niece and nephew brought their Quest and we used my parents Quest . I set up all 3 Quest to play the Rec Room, Isle Of Lost Skulls mission with my niece and nephew at the same time in the same room. It was like lan party gaming but in VR. They are like 13 and 11 and they were actually pretty good. It is amazing watching them adapt to using VR games and the quest like the way I adapted to playing games on the NES at their age. In fact my 11 year old nephew was telling me how to make a group party in rec room I was like ow shi@t

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1154 on: September 26, 2022, 10:50:05 pm »
Whether folks like it or not, it's the future of gaming.  I don't think it will render flat gaming obsolete, mainly because there are some physical considerations which will get in the way for some.  But it's never going away.

BTW, I just had an idea for AR which would be incredibly cool.  Call it a "Home invasion simulation".  Imagine being able to walk around your house, office, abandoned building, etc. and having the unit automatically map out doorways, windows, points of entry and maybe even walls to break through.  Then, having creatures, burglars, meth-heads, or whatever you are most scared of, coming at you from all of those points to take out with your favorite firearm.  I'd almost buy one just for that.  If done well, it could put any arcade lightgun game to shame and might even leave you with some PTSD :lol 

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1155 on: September 26, 2022, 11:05:57 pm »
Raw Data, Brookhaven Experiment are some of the First VR 360 shooters Played. If you have a big enough room why not have it in AR. Extra points for animation of them crawling or falling over your couch.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1156 on: September 26, 2022, 11:39:05 pm »
Brookhaven was one of my first as well.  It probably still is a great introduction for folks who have never tried VR, at least if they have a good ticker.

Another possibly interesting use for AR, again in the shooting genre, would be for use outdoors.  Hunting sims, backyard plinking, zombies, all overlaid onto familiar settings. Imagine the first field scene in Brookhaven, but actually in your own backyard at night.

Might feel a little too real...   

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1157 on: September 27, 2022, 12:48:55 am »
Ya you have to go to a park at night. Guessing AR wont work at night, also getting the graphics to match the shade\shadow of the environment is another whole thing. Maybe someday in the future.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #1158 on: September 27, 2022, 03:24:23 pm »
Ya you have to go to a park at night. Guessing AR wont work at night, also getting the graphics to match the shade\shadow of the environment is another whole thing. Maybe someday in the future.

Probably need to put up some minimal lighting.  But I would think that the software could look at the real image (if it's sophisticated enough) and get an idea as to where the light-source is, as well as the intensity and adjust accordingly.  It would be pretty cool to have a real flashlight outside and have the CG elements react to it :)

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1159 on: September 27, 2022, 11:05:25 pm »
Ya a real flashlight and with the use of  hand tracking that’s already on the Quest you identify it as a flashlight for in game things so it is seem less.