Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Power switch for Pi 3  (Read 5026 times)

CASUSMC0311

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2016, 08:42:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Power switch for Pi 3
« on: April 29, 2016, 04:07:05 pm »
Hello all, this is my first post. I tried looking around and finding an answer before I posted and was unable to. So here it goes. I decided after watching my friend build a Coleco mini donkey kong I was going to build a unit myself. He is helping me however, I just wanted to see what ideas everyone has. I am modifying an icade cabinet and equipping it was a raspberry pi 3 and a 10.1 inch screen. It will be Mame, NES, SNES and Genesis equipt. I had to modify the cabinet a little for the screen to fit but it looks great. I am debating whether or not to place a power switch on the back, or just run a micro usb off the unit to the wall. I saw a unit on ebay that had a lighted power switch and it looked great. I tried contacting the seller but he will not answer me. The problem I am having is that I cannot find a toggle switch with a cord that will run 5V. Does anyone have a website or a suggestion on fabricating one? Thank you in advance.

Goglu2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2023, 07:57:19 am
Re: Power switch for Pi 3
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 02:14:38 am »

CASUSMC0311

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 12:16:44 pm »
Thank you for the response. Those seem to be the only ones I can find as well. I'm wondering if I can just find something at the hardware store and splice in some different wires.

ballboff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2020, 04:27:54 am
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 06:18:11 am »
I've heard that you can solder a momentary switch into p6 header on the raspberry pi, and with a simple bit of programming you can get it to shutdown and restart your pi.  Haven't tried this myself though.  You could connect the led wire of the momentary switch to pins 1 and 6 on the gpio of the pi, to give you a power light...

darthpaul

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2022, 07:34:53 pm
  • Join, It's your duty
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 12:15:50 am »
You probably want to use something like this https://mausberry-circuits.myshopify.com/products/shutdown-circuit-use-your-own-switch powering the Pi off by just cutting off the power could corrupt the SdCard.
"You don't know the power of the Dark Side"
Automated Cabinet
Nintendo Pi
PiCubed

ballboff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2020, 04:27:54 am
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 09:05:32 am »
I've heard that you can solder a momentary switch into p6 header on the raspberry pi, and with a simple bit of programming you can get it to shutdown and restart your pi.  Haven't tried this myself though.  You could connect the led wire of the momentary switch to pins 1 and 6 on the gpio of the pi, to give you a power light...

This is the method I was referring to... http://raspi.tv/2012/making-a-reset-switch-for-your-rev-2-raspberry-pi

I'm sure i've seen a software shutdown method though...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:14:44 am by ballboff »

mrdepths

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 19, 2016, 09:30:39 am
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 09:30:53 am »
Just bought one of these - https://lowpowerlab.com/shop/ATXRaspi-R2

I like the idea of an on and off button, safely without corrupting the SD card.

geeteoh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2017, 09:28:59 pm
  • Connecting with the 80s
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146453.0.html
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 04:58:03 pm »
Powering down and up a modern system has always confused me.  Vintage dedicated systems, you just put a switch on the power cord. Modern systems you need to safely shut down the processor first then remove power to it and everything else in the cabinet. It seems as you would need a two step process on modern systems.

When you issue the "shutdown" command on the RP, the processor safely halts, but there is still power to the board. Any power glitch (off then on) to the RP, and it will restart. There are power shutdown boards available for the RP which do both (interrupt the processor for shutdown, then remove power), but they only do so for the RP board. You would need to power all your other items in the cabinet (monitor, marquee, etc) from the USB ports on the RP to get your entire cabinet to turn off. I have found a couple of RP shutdown boards that act like uninterruptable power supplies. If you remove power from them, they provide some temporary stored power to the RP and execute a safe shutdown. With this type of board you can just put a switch on the power supply line to your cabinet and it will shutdown everything nicely with a single step.

I shut off my RP cabinet in two steps. 1. Go through the menu on the front-end and pick "shutdown" and wait for the RP to halt.  2. Turn off a switch on my power cable (removing all power to the TV, marquee, sound system, button lights). Power up is simple (for mine) - just turn back on the switch on the power cable.

How does everyone else shut down and power up their game cabinets?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 05:04:10 pm by geeteoh »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 10:53:39 pm »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 11:08:54 pm »
Here we go again.....

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 04:39:10 pm »
Hello  CASUSMC0311, and welcome to the board!
I have to agree with Darthpaul about the mausberry switch. For around $16 dollars you get a small board that you can solder a switch to. Or they offer one with the switch already attached to it.
This has been an ongoing conversation on here (explaining PBJ's comment), and I dont know what the answer is.

Here is one such conversation:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,148233.0.html
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 04:42:45 pm by DaOld Man »

CASUSMC0311

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 08:35:41 am »
haha thanks for the info gents. I didn't know it was such a contested topic. ;D