Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Questions about painting MDF with painting tool  (Read 2734 times)

daubsi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 09:25:01 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Questions about painting MDF with painting tool
« on: April 24, 2016, 03:56:08 pm »
Hi there,

my self-build cab is nearing completion. Whats missing are the stickers and of course some paint.
I've built the cab using 18mm MDF and a friend of mine told me I would need a special filler in order to ensure that the paint on the MDF stays and is not sucked into the MDF.

He advised me to buy this product, which seems to be special for MDF: http://www.amazon.de/CLOU-Clou-Schnellschleif-Grundierung-G1-750/dp/B0053PYATY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage (sorry, German only).

I've also bought a paint system at our local discounter:

The question that I have is: Can I directly use the filler with the paint system or will I have to thin the liquid with water or anything so it would not clog the nozzle or anything.
Also will I have to thin the paint? I intend to use a water-based paint. Is it better to use an acryl-based paint for MDF?

Thanks!

md78sl

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
Re: Questions about painting MDF with painting tool
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 07:27:36 pm »
I'm priming my own MDF CP ready for painting right now, I would advise against a water based primer for MDF.  Automotive solvent based high build primer is much better, the high evaporation rate avoids swelling the MDF.  Raw MDF and water = bad.  Automotive primer comes in a spray can, easy to use. Check my videos here for plenty of how to:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,80229.0.html

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 02:59:59 pm »
Right, so most consumer paint guns have trouble with oil based paints, so thinning it to go in the gun is a bad idea, because you destroy the point of oil based.

Oil based and water based both work well, but here's what I prefer, and it works very nicely.

1). use rollers to manually primer the box.
1a). I always use two passes of primer with rollers
2). I use water base part, Semi-gloss in my spray gun for the color I want.
2a). Second pass on the gun is always critical to get a good covering.

This process works like a beast.

michelevit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2019, 01:46:18 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 08:24:58 pm »
Ditch the spray cans and step up to a compressor and HVLP gun. If you are near a harborfreight everything you need can be had for less than 100 bucks. I spray oil based rustoleum satin black and its perfect. Forget about spray cans. 

hailrazer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2016, 11:55:04 am
  • I make Repro DK Control Panels
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 09:26:39 pm »
+1 on the automobile primer and a HVLP. Mix it 50/50 with laquer thinner. It dries in 15-30 minutes and lays on super smooth.