Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Xin Mo Controller 2 Player Setup on Retropie 3.6 Pi 3B... No clue what to do  (Read 13106 times)

Jimd0586

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2020, 10:27:57 pm
  • Novice Arcade builder
I know a lot of people have asked about this USB arcade set, but I haven't found a solid working guide. I was able to have Retropie detect both Joysticks and all 16 buttons by following the first step in https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Xin-Mo-Controller:

"Add the following to /boot/cmdline.txt (just add a space to the existing entry so its all on one line)
 usbhid.quirks=0x16c0:0x05e1:0x040 "

I just added exactly what the page said.

However, now I am having issues. JStest js0 and js1 shows all buttons working and both joysticks working. (In fact, it lists them as separate buttons 1-8, not even 1-16. So I am making headway. However, when I configure in the GUI in retropie, upon configuring the second player, the first player's buttons lose their mapping. Its strange, I'll start a two player game like mario all stars for example and 2nd player will work fine and 1st players buttons don't work. The joysticks however still both work. If I reconfigure 1st player, then 2nd player loses its mapping. It's just a back and forth.

So I followed this site and installed the kernel:

http://blog.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/how-to-get-xin-mo-dual-arcade-working-with-retropie-easy-guide/

However, this froze my pi 3B and I had to reinstall.

So, with nowhere to turn, I come back here to bother you all. Is there a definitive way to config all or most of the emulators together to register all the buttons for the Xin- Mo? If so, I may need some real hand holding through this.

I can open up the config file and see what is there... but it doesn't show two joysticks. Is there something I can put in there replacing the text currently there that will set this straight? I did take a screenshot of the text in the controller's cfg file if that helps, however haha I don't know how to upload pics to the forum...

Yes, I am a NOOB.

Thanks in advance. I have had a ton of help and finally got most everything else sorted out, so I do really mean it when I say you guys have been great.

I'll add one more thing: I went ahead and found the Retroarch config for all emulators. It of course just listed one set of controls and didn't list either player 1 or player 2. So I essentially erased that and then retyped in all the inputs for all buttons for P1 and then again for P2. Of course this didn't work either. Upon mapping in the gui again and entering a game, the buttons were all screwed up.

So, anyone come across a solution for this problem? The only other option I can think of is to buy a second Xin Mo chip and plug a set of inputs into it so each player has its own chip because I think the issue is retropie reading each xin mo as just one player... but I could be wrong there. Thanks guys for any advice.

Jimd0586

• Offline Offline
  • Novice Arcade builder
My retroarch settings:

input_device = "THT THT Arcade console 2P USB Player"
input_driver = "udev"
input_l2_btn = "4"
input_start_btn = "7"
input_exit_emulator_btn = "7"
input_up_axis = "-1"
input_a_btn = "2"
input_b_btn = "0"
input_reset_btn = "0"
input_down_axis = "+1"
input_r2_btn = "5"
input_right_axis = "+0"
input_state_slot_increase_axis = "+0"
input_x_btn = "3"
input_menu_toggle_btn = "3"
input_select_btn = "6"
input_enable_hotkey_btn = "6"
input_y_btn = "1"
input_left_axis = "-0"
input_r2_btn = "5"
input_right_axis = "+0"
input_state_slot_increase_axis = "+0"
input_x_btn = "3"
input_menu_toggle_btn = "3"
input_select_btn = "6"
input_enable_hotkey_btn = "6"
input_y_btn = "1"
input_left_axis = "-0"
input_state_slot_decrease_axis = "-0"

Jimd0586

• Offline Offline
  • Novice Arcade builder
These don't seem to have any effect.

Yenome

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 01:03:06 am
  • Punch a fish. Make a wish
what core are you using for arcade games. I have a pi2 so not sure if what i know would apply to you but i got the same controller board. Im thinking it could be that you havnt config'ed the controls in mame it self if your using one of the regular mame cores.
My Gf made me put a sig up. /whipped

Jimd0586

• Offline Offline
  • Novice Arcade builder
Thanks for the reply. I don't even know what cores are, so I have no clue. How can I tell?

Yenome

• Offline Offline
when you load a game if you hit the option key for retropie you can check the default emulator for that game and see what it says.  im gonna boot up my pi now to make sure i follow along

Jimd0586

• Offline Offline
  • Novice Arcade builder
Ok, as the game in the snes was loading I clicked a key on my keyboard taking me to the blue setup screen. For SNES I am running lr-snes9x-next

But when I configured the retroarch I configed the "all" retroarch file of that matter (though it didn't do anything)

Yenome

• Offline Offline
ok im looking for my cables to connect player two as i was only using player 1 side so i cant test it i had been reading about a fix that requires modding the kernel

Jimd0586

• Offline Offline
  • Novice Arcade builder
Yes. It's ok. The forum was down anyway. I'm actually about to go to bed.

The kernel you're talking about caused my pi 3b to freeze up and I had to reinstall Retropie. I think it was made for the pi 2.

I'm wondering maybe if I should just somehow go back to default on all my config a (how do you do that) and maybe start over? Or possibly buy a second xin mo board and hook eAch player to its own board?

I'm really lost.

Jimd0586

• Offline Offline
  • Novice Arcade builder
Not to mention that even configuring in the gui in Retropie I'm now still having problems in game with each emulator. Is it possible to have the emulation station configuration one way and the in game configs set another?

Yenome

• Offline Offline
I would put in the fix to the cmd file that got them to be seen as two then just reconfigure the controllers again, i had to do that after adding the fix. do note i have a rp2 not a 3 but they both use the same image. also i would format and reinstall retropie just to eliminate any left over misconfigurations.

so what i did was added the line to the cmd.txt like you did. rebooted. then i went into the options menu and redid my player 1 and player 2 controls for retropie. then i booted up a two player snes game and it worked for player 1 and player two. so i think redoing the controls is best. i had never thought nothing of it when the retropie only showed one controller as i was always just using my xin-mo for one player anyway.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 02:28:35 am by Yenome »

Jimd0586

• Offline Offline
  • Novice Arcade builder
Ok. I'll reinstall Retropie, change the boot text, and reconfigure. I'm taking a short trip for a few days, but when I get back this weekend I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help!

Jimd0586

• Offline Offline
  • Novice Arcade builder
I am curious what your Retroarch.cfg in your all folder says. Does it show both player 1 and player 2 inputs or just one set of inputs after you changed your boot cmt.txt registry?

Like I said, I'll be out of town for a few days but I'll reformat Retropie again when I get back and see what happens.

Jimd0586

• Offline Offline
  • Novice Arcade builder
@Yenome

So I got back from NOLA and reinstalled Retropie. I added the line to the cmdline.txt and both controllers showed up. I reconfigured both controllers via the menu in retropie, but still 2nd player is not fully working. Some buttons are just not responding and a few are mipmapped. I am totally lost. I opened Super Mario World as my test and it just isn't working quite right. Not sure what to do now.

Jimd0586

• Offline Offline
  • Novice Arcade builder
Just found this out if it helps:

Port0 configs are in the system as: thtthtarcadeconsole2pusbplayer.cfg while port1 is: thtthtarcadeconsole2pusbplayer.cfg.bak

Does that mean anything to anyone? What's so frustrating is that I will config the buttons for each player but upon configuring the second player, first losses its mapping. Only two or three of the six buttons works. So I reconfigure player one and player 2 then loses its mapping. I am really stumped.

Yenome

• Offline Offline
Just found this out if it helps:

Port0 configs are in the system as: thtthtarcadeconsole2pusbplayer.cfg while port1 is: thtthtarcadeconsole2pusbplayer.cfg.bak

Does that mean anything to anyone? What's so frustrating is that I will config the buttons for each player but upon configuring the second player, first losses its mapping. Only two or three of the six buttons works. So I reconfigure player one and player 2 then loses its mapping. I am really stumped.

I had the same issue try to map player two first then player one. I put together a test panel with two players and 8 buttons ea. played a game and it swapped player one and player two controls. reconfiged player one and it works now in snes.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 11:19:18 am by Yenome »

Jimd0586

• Offline Offline
  • Novice Arcade builder
Thanks Yenome. Should I put your files you attached in my boot/config file and replace the others there? I wonder why yours reads Xin-Mo...etc. and mine says thtthtarcadeconsole2...etc.

- Jim

Yenome

• Offline Offline
yea i would try that. it is a mystery why your says something diff i got the groovy game gear edition of the xinmo not sure if that has anything to do with it or not

drdave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 01, 2016, 01:37:02 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Sorry if I'm going against any necro rules in here, but I am having the exact same issue and was wondering if there was any resolution to your issue?  I even tried buying a second xin mo adapter to split off P1 and P2, but still can't get Retropie to recognize P2 buttons.

drewjbx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2023, 11:49:00 pm
this worked for me... 2 players