Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First time routing soon - Couple questions  (Read 3036 times)

Guywiththegun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2020, 12:00:21 pm
First time routing soon - Couple questions
« on: April 18, 2016, 01:45:39 pm »
Its almost time to route the control panel for T-Molding. I've never used a router before, and I may need to buy one (if my Dad doesn't own one - he's been showing me the ropes). I've been watching the videos, guides, searching this forum, etc. and I'm confident I can pull this off. I'm considering doing a recess for joysticks too, if this goes smoothly.

I hear recommendations for a cheap Harbor Freight router first. Would this be acceptable for T-Mold routing and Joystick recess routing?

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/routers/14-in-24-amp-trim-router-61626.html

Also, when I see examples of people routing a recess for bottom mounting joysticks, is there any reason you need to create template for a perfectly shaped recess? Wouldn't it work the same way with a simple square that fits the joystick plate? This will be my first time so I'm not sure I'd be at the level of making those perfect recesses . .

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
Re: First time routing soon - Couple questions
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 02:13:46 pm »
That trim router will work but you need to have a steady hand.  I just used mine this weekend to do t-molding and to route out recesses for a joystick and trackball mounting plate.  Your cutouts do not need to be perfect unless it will bother you when you look at the bottom of the control panel.  In my case I did approximate sized top route outs and covered the CP with Plexiglas.

Guywiththegun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2020, 12:00:21 pm
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 04:10:26 pm »
I have a reasonably steady hand, but would I be less prone to error with this one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-fixed-base-router-68341.html

I'll spend the extra $20 if it means a better result without having to do it multiple times.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 08:08:29 pm »
I'd go with the bigger one with a bigger base.  Don't try to cut the slot vertically.  I tried that and messed up.  The important thing is to keep is super flat.  If you tilt the router at all as you go, you'll get a huge slot.  That's why I think the bigger base is better. 

EvilNuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 04:41:13 pm
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 02:29:39 pm »
Make sure to read up on how to use the router and test with some scrap wood first.  If you go in the wrong direction you can lose control quickly so make sure to do it safely. :)

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 09:47:49 pm »
Yes, it is almost impossible to get the channel right in the middle without testing first.