Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What PC spec is enough to run mala with videos without slowdowns?  (Read 3323 times)

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 12:19:16 pm
Going down the rabbit hole here- I just started using a craftymech SLG running windows at 1024x768 and forcing mame to run at 640x480.  To get consistent scan lines and placement of the picture on the display, I really need to run windows and everything at 640x480.  Which means I need to redo my Mala layout in a new low res friendly version. 

If I redo my layout, I really want to run game videos.  I know on the cheap pc I have (XP, celeron 2.4ghz, 512mb ram) it makes the gamelist too slow to scroll with videos on.  What is a minimum spec pc to load videos fast?  i know there is a delay capability in mala so the vid doesn't start until you've rested on the game for a second. 

ramos8414

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2019, 08:27:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: What PC spec is enough to run mala with videos without slowdowns?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 12:53:30 am »
I have XP, 2.66Ghz pentium 4, with 1Gig of Ram and it still struggles to with videos. Get a core 2 duo to be safe. They arent too expensive these days and they can run most games on mame. It should handle videos, with no slowdown.

big10p

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 07:48:07 am »
This is probably more of an issue with how quickly MaLa can load the videos. I use SSDs in my rigs and they make a world of difference in loading times - most noticeably in boot-to-menu speed. I also recommend using a short delay before playing vids. Just have a snapshot show for a second before the video plays.

Also, you have a tiny amount of RAM. Get some more! :) 2 gig minimum, I would say.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 07:52:41 am by big10p »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 08:21:52 pm
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 11:46:26 am »
What most people end up doing is having the video window displayed over top the gameplay pic in their Mala layout with the video start on a delay.
(video is always on top anyway).

As you scroll through the list, the pics are displayed which is fast.
Then if you stop on a game for a half second or so, the video plays.
It keeps the scrolling at a good pace.