Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Advice and hope on Restoring/Repairing my Ninja Gaiden cabinet? (Pics)  (Read 3643 times)

vrada501

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2016, 11:12:26 pm
  • Seeking to outlive my noobishness.
Hello.

So this is the story: back in 2012 I won this game at a local arcade place. When I first brought it I had it in the house and it always worked fine, then in a few months after that...I was forced to move it out in the garage.
A few days in the garage it was still working then I left it alone for a few months and when I tried playing it again...It wasn't working D :>
In my sense it felt like every time I tried to turn it on, it wasn't even powering up because I remember back when it worked I would hear a really quiet sound of power but this time there was no sound in the slightest.
So seeing as it wasn't working I left it alone for a long while, being sad it was broken. I think in around 2013 I decided to open it up and look at it. I uninstalled and took in the Motherboard in case the Motherboard itself was somehow fine and also the little power supply, wrapped the motherboard in bubble wrap and sat it in a box (After while I had to sit the box out in the garage due to no room). I left the CRT arcade monitor, the arcade stick and I what think is the Isolation transformer. I left the back Panel off for some reason, I don't exactly remember why but anyway, it's been left like that to the present.

So about the garage, it use to get really really cold in there around winter, to the point where you could see your own breath in there. And in the summer time it's gotten pretty warm. And my brother and his friends always smoke out there. The garage is also filthy and has spiders and stuff. All I could think to blame is the garage in those conditions.

But all the sudden I'm feeling some hope that I could somehow fix it. Does this seem like something that could still be possibly be restored?
If so, I'm looking for advice from others on here. I've never done any work on arcades, and this arcade was my first and only.
Could any of those parts have survived all of that? The CRT monitor?
I also don't know too much about Isolation Transformers. If it was the problem, can they be bought and replaced as much as the other parts?

Basically, the specific advice that I'm looking for is what parts I should replace, which ones should still work and be safe to keep and use etc.
And I also thought about cleaning the inside with a vacuum if that would be safe.

The pics wouldn't fit as attachments so I had to upload them elsewhere and then link them. If that happens to be against the forum rules (and if so, I apologize ), please let me know so I can get rid of them

Thank you very much for looking. I really hope for replies because I was very happy and excited to own this, considering Ninja Gaiden was my favorite arcade game.
If there's anymore info needed, you're welcome ask for it and I'll do my best to provide it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 03:02:01 am by vrada501 »

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
picture #2 and #3 are of your linear power supply with the power transformer.
remove the rap on the board and do a few shap shots top and bottom.

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

vrada501

• Offline Offline
Thank you for replying. And here you go.

it was a double board. The link on top was of one whole side, the middle 2 are both half of the other side and then the link on bottom is what I
could get of the bottom of them, I couldn't get the screw pin out.

I also took videos hovering the camera closer to the board and scanning the whole thing with it if you would prefer to see that

« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 02:53:40 am by vrada501 »

ed12

• Offline Offline
well i can not spot any damage
looks good and clean
re-seat eproms,ram
then with a multi meter (dc) range chk your linear power supply,i also think i saw a smp's on the side (smps=switch mode power supply)
is this correct ?

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

vrada501

• Offline Offline
Sadly I don't have a Multimeter at the moment.
But yeah, I stored the little power box switch thing with the Board.

But I have some news, today I was using the monitor in the cabinet to practice discharging a CRT for the first time and while I was doing that,
I noticed there was a little crack in the glass tube. Here's a pic

I don't know too much about this thing, but does a crack of that size on it mean anything? Like if it makes the monitor useless?

ed12

• Offline Offline
if that is a crack ? which btw it dose look like 1
your tube is done (vacuwaited)not good.:(

ed

vrada501

• Offline Offline
(cries) That's too bad. So does this make everything about this monitor useless? Now I don't know whether to get just get rid of the whole thing or what else.

But at least there's something I know for sure would need to be replaced.
Those little metal power switch boxes we were talking about seem cheap on the internet,
but I can't figure out anything about that power board/Isolator on the ground in the cab. If it's broken as well, can those things be bought as new fresh ones just as much as other components?
And would I have to find a specific one for my game/cab (Ninja Gaiden)? Lastly, where could I order them/one these days?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 11:36:36 pm by vrada501 »

ed12

• Offline Offline
with that said about the linear and switching supply's >both of them<,i take it u do not have a manual ?

ed

vrada501

• Offline Offline
I do have the Ninja Gaiden service Booklet, and it's also online
http://www.gamesdbase.com/Media/SYSTEM/Arcade//Manual/formated/Ninja_Gaiden_-_1988_-_Tecmo.pdf

I feel that I know enough about the little Power Switch box now, it's just that linear power board I'm trying to find a replacement for.
I found this page of how to put together one of those boards, which I think almost looks like mine...
http://www.therealbobroberts.net/acwiring.html
So do I just need to build this thing and it will work with any isolator-needing monitor I throw at it (I was thinking of replacing the broken monitor with one of those Well Gardner ones or something)?
If so, do you know where I could get those mentioned parts?

I took a video of my Linear board, to help you answer my question

I also forgot to mention this thing

What is this thing (I guess a heatsink)? Is this necessary to replace as well, and if so then where could I get one?

These are likely my final questions, so I just wanna thank you for still caring to reply to this point. Once again, after I have the answers to these questions here, I should be done.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 07:28:29 am by vrada501 »

ed12

• Offline Offline
the picture #3 is your output req's of the linear supply +5 +12 or +5 -12?,
if u are going to a switcher ? then the bob roberts page u linked is the way to go.
the manual u linked is for a kit,the real 1 would show u the main transformer/linear supply combo.
if u go switcher ? then u should beable to remove all of the old linear stuff (heat-sink-power trans-circuit board under neath),
and set it aside.
just about any 19" monitor will work in the cab,but do not quote me as i do not know the freq of the game.

ed

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
Re: Advice and hope on Restoring/Repairing my Ninja Gaiden cabinet? (Pics)
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 04:10:04 pm »
Did you ever check the fuses!?!?!?!?!

Also, post pictures of the OUTSIDE of the cabinet. Ninja GaiDen was common as a kit. I wouldn't be surprised if your cabinet was actually something else. The PVC tubes for the coins make me think it could be a Williams cabinet.

NO MORE!!

vrada501

• Offline Offline
Re: Advice and hope on Restoring/Repairing my Ninja Gaiden cabinet? (Pics)
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 06:32:37 pm »
Did you ever check the fuses!?!?!?!?!

Also, post pictures of the OUTSIDE of the cabinet. Ninja GaiDen was common as a kit. I wouldn't be surprised if your cabinet was actually something else. The PVC tubes for the coins make me think it could be a Williams cabinet.

Check what of the fuses!?!?!?!?!
Playing around aside, the only fuse that I know of so far is the one little tube fuse on that power board. Is that what you're talking about? And again, what do I need to check it for?

And here's those pics of the cab

Also found this inside the joystick box, there's a date on it from 1982 which is weird because I think the Ninja Gaiden arcade game came out in 88, I find that a sign that it may indeed be some other cabinet.

the picture #3 is your output req's of the linear supply +5 +12 or +5 -12?

According to that booklet, it says that Ninja Gaiden just needs +5 and +12 and that the +12 needs to be rated at 1 amp

if u are going to a switcher ? then the bob roberts page u linked is the way to go.

Yeah, I'm likely just going to buy one of those Power Switcher boxes. So I'll just try to build that board in that page.
But where can I get the following parts that are used in this?
 - Fuse & Fuse Holder
 - AC Line Filter
 - AC Distribution Block
 - Isolation Transformer
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 06:34:41 pm by vrada501 »