Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Looking for advice on choosing arcade speakers with muffled bassy sound  (Read 1860 times)

Tripo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 06, 2022, 06:42:16 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I am looking to build my own speaker-only cabinet/boxes to place near my TV to place arcade games via MAME.
The idea is to re-create the muffled sound quality i used to hear from arcade cabinets. I remember that these arcade cabinet speakers did not produce too much high frequency range if at all, but rather mid and low frequency ranges, with pretty loud volume.

Since most of the old arcade games have lo-fi kind of sound/music quality, these muffled sound quality speaker suits very well.
Today's 2.1 speaker system offerings are too hi-fi and lack the character i am looking for.

I guess they will have to have pretty deep voice coil, big magenet and have flexible cone to have the ability to reproduce low frequencies.

Which speakers would be the best to achieve the muffled sound quality i am looking for?
Of course these would have to be paired with a decent amp (i hope not expensive and hopefuly not an overkill).
From my experience, cheap amps from crappy 2.1 systems might lack the juice and power to drive the speakers.
I am targeting towards a stereo setup and not mono setup.
And of course, i hope i could find matched grills for the speakers.

Many posts regarding arcade speakers are not really targeting the lo-fi sound but rather hi-fi nowdays speaker systems which is not what i am aiming for, and many posts contain broken links that lead me nowwhere.

I will be glad to have your suggestions

Cheers,
Gary

phranque1673

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2022, 07:37:05 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I come from a car audio background. Your best option for speakers would be a single cone/full range driver. No separate tweeter.  Most original cabs had this type of speaker. Check in with your local car audio shop and see if they have any factory speakers they pulled out of a customers car. They may even give them to you free.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk