Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: JAMMA Custom Arcade Project (JCAP) + Integrated Development Environment (JIDE)  (Read 2223 times)

eschersenigma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2021, 02:36:04 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
JAMMA Custom Arcade Project (JCAP)

JCAP is a project with the goal of developing a JAMMA arcade standard compatible game board using the Parallax Propeller 1 (P8X32A) microcontroller upon which a user can implement their own custom arcade game, either from scratch or by using the library of graphics, sound, input, and other drivers developed under the project. Ultimately, the project will provide:
  • VGA video driver
  • Sprite/tile based graphics driver
  • PWM sound driver
  • Serialized input driver
  • Game engine
  • PCB schematic and CAD files

in such a way that a user has everything they need to implement their own arcade game and have a PCB printed to build it on.

A more detailed description can be found in the JCAP readme.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here you can see the current (breadboarded) circuit laydown. It includes the dual P8X32As in the center, with the serialized input system to the East, and the VGA DAC in the Northwest:

This is the power system including AC EMI filter, switching arcade PSU, audio amp, and +5V/+12V/GND distribution blocks:

Here's a simple demo, showcasing movement, rotating color palette animations, sprite animations, and parallax scrolling.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The project is being managed via GitHub, and can be found here.

A progress log/wiki is constantly being updated, and contains a lot of background information that some might find very interesting such as a brief history of arcade games and an analysis of historical video formats:

Currently, JCAP is on pause as a custom IDE is being developed to manage graphical assets...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

JCAP Integrated Development Environment (JIDE)

JIDE is a project developed alongside JCAP in order to provide a graphics development application which can integrate with the JCAP framework. This utility features:

• A cross-platform compatible, PyQt-based GUI
  • Unique environments for developing tiles, sprites, and tile maps
  • A portable, human-readable JSON-based file format for easy portability and sharing
  • An extensive list of intuitive graphcics development tools and features
  • Pixel-perfect graphics precision
  • Integration with JCAP, including programming the system directly via dual serial connection

This portion of the project is the current focus, as neglecting to develop an IDE would ultimately require hand-jamming hex matrices to create graphics assets in memory.

Features are being added daily, and it's expected to be completed in the next month or two.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 10:37:47 pm by eschersenigma »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Just following up from my post on A-P, I think this is a neat idea for anyone wanting to develop an arcade game from scratch and having it run on dedicated hardware.  :applaud:

eschersenigma

• Offline Offline
Just following up from my post on A-P, I think this is a neat idea for anyone wanting to develop an arcade game from scratch and having it run on dedicated hardware.  :applaud:

Interesting seeing the same people from other forums! Glad to see how tight knit the community is!

eschersenigma

• Offline Offline
For some reason the YouTube link is malformed, this should work:

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
Looks like some nice work there.  I'll be following progress.

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
Subscribed!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
I’d buy one if I can port ZapCon The Game over to it. ;)
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

eschersenigma

• Offline Offline
I’d buy one if I can port ZapCon The Game over to it. ;)

Shoot me a link to it and I should be able to tell you right away if it can be done!