Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Project Solarcade - Cabinet #1  (Read 23446 times)

Bender

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
Re: Project Solarcade - Cabinet #1
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2009, 12:14:23 am »
Get some guts in there I want to see that thing running

I like the CP design. I'm curious to see how it feel when you play it

keep up the good work :cheers:

n88n

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2020, 11:46:46 am
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2009, 11:55:44 am »
Great work so far!  I read that you are using a normal 27" tv.  How is that working for you?  One of my main hod ups for starting my cab is the cost of buying a nice arcade monitor.  I was reading your thread and realized that I have an extra 27" tv.

Are you happy with your tv?

solowCX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 29, 2012, 02:32:31 am
    • Solarcade
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2009, 03:36:18 pm »
Thanks! Looking forward to getting it done.

I read that you are using a normal 27" tv.  How is that working for you?  One of my main hod ups for starting my cab is the cost of buying a nice arcade monitor.  I was reading your thread and realized that I have an extra 27" tv.

Are you happy with your tv?

Haven't really used the TV much yet, but when I first got it I tested it and it seemed to work fine for games. The only issue is that Windows (or any other OS) is not really designed to be viewed on such a low resolution monitor and is therefore somewhat hard to read at times. The TV does have component inputs however (I was using s-video when testing) so I am hoping that once I get a computer that can do component output the quality will increase quite a bit.

From what I have read the composite and s-video cables are the major issue with using TVs. With a good set of inputs I should hopefully be able to get something that is similar to a real arcade monitor. If not, I think I can deal with it. One plus for using TVs is that everyone and their brother is selling old tube TVs on Craigslist for cheap (or free).
Project Solarcade - Still in progress

iammortos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2010, 07:26:55 pm
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2009, 06:55:31 pm »
Very cool man, like the design of the control panel, i dont play enoguht racing games to warrent building in the wheels, but they are really cool man. keep up the good work, we like getting updates here!

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2009, 08:08:04 pm »
Very nice! I know it's been said before but, great artwork on the CP.  I see movie posters for Alien and District 9, what a ride District 9 was!  Alien is my 2nd most favourite Ridley Scott film.  My favourite line from that film is "Aw that's a bunch of horseshit we can take off without that!"   :lol

solowCX

• Offline Offline
    • Solarcade
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2009, 02:23:08 am »
I see movie posters for Alien and District 9, what a ride District 9 was!  Alien is my 2nd most favourite Ridley Scott film.  My favourite line from that film is "Aw that's a bunch of horseshit we can take off without that!"   :lol

Yeah, District 9 is great modern sci-fi. Picked up the poster at a screening event and figured it would fit nicely next to my Alien poster. One classic and one sure to be classic, especially if they end up making District 10.  ;D

Thanks for the feedback!

DashRendar

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2015, 05:46:52 pm
  • "Don't get your servos in a twist pal."
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2009, 11:07:35 am »
Looking great SolowCX!

Are the joysticks leaning up against the monitor when the CP is open, or did you figure out a way around that?

Looks like you're in the final stretch now- shouldn't be long before you're playing that thing!   ;D
WANTED: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. P.O. Box 322, Oakview, CA 93022. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before.

kronic24601

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2014, 03:08:54 pm
  • Evil Arcade Monkey Strikes Again!
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2009, 11:20:29 am »
Nice Cab!

I too am working on something to incorporate wheels on my cab. One of my favorite childhood games is Ivan Stewart's Super Off Road.

Question I have though, most of the racing games use at least a 10" wheel (if not 12) have you actually played games like Off Road, Pole Position, (fill in your 360 degree game here), etc...?

If so, does it feel "authentic" like the original version?

I was considering picking up the GGG spinner, but buying some larger wheels and attaching them somehow (havnen't figured that out just yet).

solowCX

• Offline Offline
    • Solarcade
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2009, 12:13:07 pm »
Are the joysticks leaning up against the monitor when the CP is open, or did you figure out a way around that?

I currently do not have any glass in place, so no, they don't rest up against anything. I do plan to put in a monitor bezel and smoked glass (eventually), at which point my middle joystick probably will probably hit. There was really nothing I could do to avoid this though, as due to my secondary panel up front it would not have been possible to have it rotate forward.

I have had thoughts in the past about some sort of kickstand and chain to keep the panel top from going to far and to hold it upright when open. Not sure the best components to use for something like this though.

Question I have though, most of the racing games use at least a 10" wheel (if not 12) have you actually played games like Off Road, Pole Position, (fill in your 360 degree game here), etc...?

If so, does it feel "authentic" like the original version?

It has been awhile since I have use a real 360 degree wheel, but I think it feels pretty good. There really is no exact substitute for the real thing, but I think this is a good space saving solution. However, putting it at a 45 degree angle does put more pressure on the spinner and I believe Randy mentioned that you will need to be careful not to pull down on the wheel when using it to prevent damage. From my tests it appears pretty sturdy so far, but this is something you will need to take into consideration.

Also, I heard awhile back that Randy actually had some 10" wheels that fit on the TurboTwist2s. You might want to ask him about them if you are interested.

kronic24601

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2014, 03:08:54 pm
  • Evil Arcade Monkey Strikes Again!
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2009, 12:04:01 pm »
Hey there, quick q. I'm trying to decide what to do about the foot pedals for my cab. I don't see any in your project. What are you using for acceleration on your racing games?

solowCX

• Offline Offline
    • Solarcade
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2009, 11:57:59 am »
Currently don't have any. Had planned to eventually buy a PC steering wheel and just use the foot pedals from that, but have not done that yet. Obviously the best route is to go authentic, but I didn't want pedals permanently mounted on the front of the cabinet (and the increased cost). At some point in the future I may build some sort of removable box with authentic pedals that could be placed in front of the cabinet, but that probably won't be for awhile.

crispux3

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2023, 04:42:12 pm
  • I want to build my own bartop arcade!
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2015, 04:26:03 pm »
I know this topic is "old," but it's still relevant to me if someone can answer.

Does having the 45 degree angled section in front hinder the space for a quality gaming experience? I'm looking to build a cab with a mini-steering wheel, but can't figure out good placement. I've considered something similar to what you've done, but I feel like the front, angled section may get in the way.

What's been your experience and satisfaction with your design?

Thanks.

faonbr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2020, 09:02:32 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2020, 09:02:32 am »
Hi, I love to play Indyheat arcade. Played a lot when I was kid, and now I'm trying to build the spin-forever steering wheel like the 3-wheel arcade ones.
I've saw you developed an arcade from scratch and incorporated 2 racing wheels.

Are they spin-forever ones or 360 degrees limited?

I'm looking for the device that would allow a steering wheel to spin forever while in the game it seems that the left or right button is pressed, to simulate the indyheat arcade car to make turns.
Do you know what type of device I need?
Thanks in advance.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:39:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2020, 03:18:56 pm »
I've saw you developed an arcade from scratch and incorporated 2 racing wheels.

Are they spin-forever ones or 360 degrees limited?

I'm looking for the device that would allow a steering wheel to spin forever while in the game it seems that the left or right button is pressed, to simulate the indyheat arcade car to make turns.
If you want a "spin-forever" wheel like the one you remember from the arcade, you're looking for a "360 degree" steering wheel.
- "270 degree" wheels use a potentiometer (analog) and have a limited range of motion.
- Spinners and 360 degree steering wheels are optical (mouse) devices and have an unlimited range of motion.

OP used TT2 spinners.

• 2 GGG TurboTwist 2s with 7" Mini Racer wheels

Another spinner-with-removable-wheel option is the Ultimarc SpinTrak and Mini Steering Wheel.
----------------------------
Three basic approaches to 360 degree wheel hardware:

1. Get one of the spinner-with-removable-wheel options listed above.
  Pro:  Easy to install.
  Con: The 5-7" (125-175mm) wheels are much smaller than the ones you remember.

2. Get a full-size 360 degree wheel.
  Pro: You can get the same wheel you remember.
  Con: Usually more expensive and not as easy to install.

3. You can "roll-your-own" full-size wheel using either a spinner or a rotary encoder (shown below) with an Arduino sketch/firmware that translates the quadrature waveforms into mouse commands like StefanBurger's Illuminated Spinner firmware on an Arduino Pro Micro. (Firmware .hex file here on Thingiverse)

You'll need a framework, shaft, and pillow bearings or maybe a "lazy susan" bearing to keep the wheel from tilting and bending the spinner/optical encoder shaft.
  Pro: Usually far less expensive than the other two approaches.
  Con: Not as rugged as the arcade-style wheels.  More design and planning is required.

Scott
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 03:25:19 pm by PL1 »