Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nintendo Laminate color matches  (Read 11731 times)

vwalbridge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
Nintendo Laminate color matches
« on: April 05, 2016, 05:28:08 pm »
So I have 3 Nintendo cabs to restore:

1. Donkey Kong
2. Nintendo VS Unisystem
3. Mario Bros Wide Body (minor restore)

I HATE painting so I'd like to use laminate.

So I visited Panolam.com and had them send me 3 color swatches:

1. Donkey Kong: Nevamar - Caribbean Blue - S3070T
2. Donkey Kong Jr or Mario Bros Wide Body: Nevamar - Fresh Papaya - S8001T
3. Radar Scope: Nevamar - Liberty Red - S1027T (also available in gloss)

In each of the pictures below, the swatches have an eggshell texture. The original texture was more smooth. It's not bad, just pointing that out. Notice the "T" for textured at the end of each item code above. The Liberty Red appears to be the only color available in gloss.

I was able to compare the swatches to my Wide Body, VS and DK cab. However, I don't have an original red Nintendo cab so you will have to use your imagination on that one.

I think if you want to order these colors, you have to do it here:

DK Blue: https://www.topcabinethardware.com/top-cabinet-hardware/product/16153-s3070t-4x8-v3
DK jr or Mario Bros WB Orange: https://www.topcabinethardware.com/top-cabinet-hardware/product/16204-s8001t-4x8-v3
Radar Scope Red: https://www.topcabinethardware.com/top-cabinet-hardware/product/4696-s1027t-4x8-v3

Summary:

Caribbean Blue: Seems like a really good match to me and hailrazer (on KLOV) has already confirmed this
Fresh Papaya - Not a perfect match but also not too bad either. Maybe a little more "peach" colored? What do you guys thnk?
Liberty Red- I obviously have no idea on this one. What do you guys think from the picture?

I hope that my iPhone was able to capture these colors. I know it's very difficult to tell from photos but what do you guys think?

[Edit:  Links to product ordering site fixed]
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 02:47:03 pm by DeLuSioNal29 »
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
Re: Nintendo Laminate color matches
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 05:29:13 pm »
I also received my sample swatch of Wilsonart's Orange Grove. In the comparison shots below, the Orange Grove is the more rectangular swatch, and the Fresh Papaya is the more square swatch.

After looking at the two, neither are a perfect match. However, I think on a large scale, the Fresh Papaya would look better. The orange Grove is just too washed out.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 05:34:42 pm by vwalbridge »
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 05:34:35 pm »
Even if you get contact cement on your new pair of jeans, it still beats painting ass hands down.

:cheers:

That looks pretty thin, but I would imagine you'd still have a noticeable lip protruding from the T-molding. Certainly wasn't a deal breaker for me on BulletReign, but these Nintendo guys.... well different breed of cat.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 05:40:52 pm »
Even if you get contact cement on your new pair of jeans, it still beats painting ass hands down.

:cheers:

Yes...painting is such a giant PITA. I just have to try something different this time around.

That looks pretty thin, but I would imagine you'd still have a noticeable lip protruding from the T-molding. Certainly wasn't a deal breaker for me on BulletReign, but these Nintendo guys.... well different breed of cat.

The thickness of the laminate is the first thing I was worried about. However, other guys have told me that this stuff is "vertical grade" laminate that is only 1/32" inches thick. Very thin and can hide just enough under your t-molding. The swatches are stock so they are most likely thicker.    ....I hope. :)

zinger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2019, 05:09:31 pm
  • There's a Donkey Kong Kill Screen coming up!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 06:49:57 pm »
Thanks for starting this thread. I'm very interested in laminating my DK cabinet. Although, I would prefer smooth laminate. Do they have smooth versions of this? Is there a way to smooth the laminate down while keeping the shine?

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 07:17:03 pm »
It's a bit dependant on how straight your t molding slot is but you can see on Bullet Reign that it's not overtly obvious, depending on viewing angle.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 10:28:18 pm »
It's a bit dependant on how straight your t molding slot is but you can see on Bullet Reign that it's not overtly obvious, depending on viewing angle.
I've decided to go with laminate on my DK build (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,150085.0.html). I found a local cabinet shop that I can buy the Nevamar Caribbean Blue from. I'll wait to cut the t-molding slot once I get the laminate. That way I can make sure it overlaps the laminate edge and the other side will be painted black. So it should look good.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 10:39:03 pm »
Thanks for posting this.  I'm now thinking of going with that blue for my Fix-it-Felix.  Painting is the worst.

Have you given any though as to how you will do the speaker grill?  I've already routed mine but I'm wondering if I would be better off cutting a new one if I laminate.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 11:10:17 pm »
Flush trim bit makes quick work of speaker openings, won't you have to disassemble to laminate any way? I bought the smallest flush trim bit at Lowe's, bet it would easily slide in those Nintendo speaker holes.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 11:13:09 pm by harveybirdman »

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 12:40:09 pm »
Flush trim bit makes quick work of speaker openings, won't you have to disassemble to laminate any way? I bought the smallest flush trim bit at Lowe's, bet it would easily slide in those Nintendo speaker holes.

+1  I've given this some thought and I believe this 1/4 in. Carbide Flush Trimmer Router Bit would work.

If you are building the cab from scratch, you would probably laminate the board before routing the speaker slots. You would then buy a flush bit with the exact diameter of the slots. (Don't have the measurement in front of me)

However, in my case, I'll probably have to remove the front speaker panel, laminate the front, flush-trim the existing slots, and then re-mount the front grill panel again.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 05:16:19 pm »
I tried copying my Nintendo grill with a spiral flush trim bit but had no luck. Laminate however might trim a little easier as it is such a thin material.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 12:12:15 pm »
I ended using laminate thanks to this thread! Its way better than painting!

I bought 2 sheets of 4x8ft Nevamar Caribbean Blue laminate. They came a bit larger than that which was nice.

It was a bit pricey but for me it was worth it. I bought it from https://topcabinethardware.com/ as vwalbridge suggested. If you find a local place then no shipping costs!

It only comes textured but its hardly noticeable. This picture is zoomed in on the texture.

Make sure to buy vertical grade as that's the thinnest.

I used a trim router bit and that cut through the laminate like butter. Very easy to do.

The results are nice.

Even though its textured it looks very smooth.

Here's the final result. Looks great! Thanks vwalbridge!

More details here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,150085.40.html
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 12:14:51 pm by zinger »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 01:06:48 pm »
Looks amazing!  I need to check out your thread to see how you cut the speaker grille coin door holes.  And the artwork application on the textured surface.

DeL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 01:07:12 pm »
Thanks for posting your results zinger. Your build is looking really great with that laminate. Ironically, I haven't even laminated my machine yet. However, your documented process is exactly how to do it so thanks for being the guinea pig!  :cheers:

And yes, the price is a bit steep, but the results speak for themselves.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 01:29:20 pm »
Looks amazing!  I need to check out your thread to see how you cut the speaker grille coin door holes.  And the artwork application on the textured surface.

DeL
I'll be cutting the speaker holes this weekend. I thought I would get better results to cut the speaker holes with the laminate. Also, I have plenty of extra laminate if I screw up. The nice thing about laminate is its quick to install. The contact cement dries in 20 minutes.

Thanks for posting your results zinger. Your build is looking really great with that laminate. Ironically, I haven't even laminated my machine yet. However, your documented process is exactly how to do it so thanks for being the guinea pig!  :cheers:

And yes, the price is a bit steep, but the results speak for themselves.
I felt I didn't have much choice. I needed to be the guinea pig. I chose plywood over MDF as it is much lighter. However, I realized for plywood that it would take a lot of time to paint without seeing the wood grain. I also don't own a sprayer and so I would be rolling it on. So I didn't have much confidence in how the paint job would come out and not sure I would have had the patience.

hailrazer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2016, 11:55:04 am
  • I make Repro DK Control Panels
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 07:53:58 pm »
Here's how you cut the speaker slots in the laminate (if you already have slots in the wood).

1. Use a 1/4" Carbide Flush Trim Bit. It has no bearing so be very careful to not push hard against the sides of the speaker slots as it can cut into the wood. Adjust the bit as high as it can go to avoid this.
2. From behind (inside the cab) drill a small hole in the exact center of each slot. Centering left/right.
3. From the front drill those holes with a 1/4" bit that will allow the Flush Trim Bit to fit. This is why you centered the smaller bit. The slots are not much wider than the bit so if you didn't center the small bit you could hit wood on either edge. You may want to use a smaller bit first then the 1/4" just to make sure the laminate doesn't chip.
4. Route out each slot making sure to go clockwise. (counter clockwise is for outside cuts)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 07:57:03 pm by hailrazer »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 05:32:10 pm »
Found some useful info on how to remove the front wood piece from the cabs:
http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=187341

Great tips on routing it out, especially the clockwise cut tip.

As for the red Radarscope color:  I've requested sample from Nevamar (both matte and gloss), Formica and Wilsonart.  The latter two are usually found at both Home Depot and Lowes.  I'm hoping to find a close match that's available locally to avoid shipping costs.

I'll take pics once they are here.

DeL

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 09:15:19 am »
I ordered my sheets yesterday.  Turns out they were down to one sheet in their inventory but TCH contacted me immediately with options for my order.  I was impressed with their responsiveness.

Thanks again for being the guinea pig on this laminate zinger.   :cheers:

I ended using laminate thanks to this thread! Its way better than painting!

I bought 2 sheets of 4x8ft Nevamar Caribbean Blue laminate. They came a bit larger than that which was nice.

It was a bit pricey but for me it was worth it. I bought it from https://topcabinethardware.com/ as vwalbridge suggested. If you find a local place then no shipping costs!

It only comes textured but its hardly noticeable. This picture is zoomed in on the texture.

Make sure to buy vertical grade as that's the thinnest.

I used a trim router bit and that cut through the laminate like butter. Very easy to do.

The results are nice.

Even though its textured it looks very smooth.

Here's the final result. Looks great! Thanks vwalbridge!

More details here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,150085.40.html

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 10:49:31 am »
I ordered my sheets yesterday.  Turns out they were down to one sheet in their inventory but TCH contacted me immediately with options for my order.  I was impressed with their responsiveness.
Yeah, I spoke with the guy on the phone earlier this week and he was really great.  He chuckled when I told him what it was for.  He said another guy recently ordered blue.  Wonder who that was?  LOL.  I told him that he will probably get more business from us and wp34 you made it happen.   :applaud:
What's cool is that he's the one who suggested checking out Formica and Wilsonart for red matches so that I could buy it elsewhere and save money on shipping.  He was trying to SAVE me money, before making money himself.  Great customer service.  If it doesn't work out with the samples that I have I'm going to order from TCH for sure.

DeL

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 10:54:00 am »
Yeah, I spoke with the guy on the phone earlier this week and he was really great.  He chuckled when I told him what it was for.  He said another guy recently ordered blue.  Wonder who that was?  LOL.  I told him that he will probably get more business from us and wp34 you made it happen.   :applaud:
What's cool is that he's the one who suggested checking out Formica and Wilsonart for red matches so that I could buy it elsewhere and save money on shipping.  He was trying to SAVE me money, before making money himself.  Great customer service.  If it doesn't work out with the samples that I have I'm going to order from TCH for sure.

DeL

That's awesome.  I love it when vendors do that type of thing.   

Let us know what you think of the red. I've got a battered Nintendo cabinet I can't decide what to do with.  The only thing I know for sure is that I don't want to paint it.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2017, 12:14:11 pm »
I'm Necro'ing this thread since I feel it's important.

I had done some research a while back on Radarscope red laminent and chose "Liberty Red" /(Glossy) from Nevamar as the perfect match.  I never jumped on it, I only ordered various samples of Red and I put it on the back burner.

Fortunately, with the release of Sky Skipper, Whitney has written up a FANTASTIC guide on Nintendo laminate.  (He actually confirmed my Radarscope red choice) :applaud:

You can find his guide here:  https://www.skyskipperproject.com/lets-talk-laminate/

Enjoy!

DeL

langlem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2024, 10:33:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2017, 12:11:30 am »
Thanks for posting the link to that write up on laminate.  Whay a great article!