Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How do I connect my monitor to the PS?  (Read 2347 times)

jerryjanis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2023, 01:56:44 am
  • Skate or Die!!!
    • Jake's Joystick
How do I connect my monitor to the PS?
« on: June 26, 2002, 09:46:27 pm »
I'm trying to power my arcade monitor, but I'm not sure what goes where.  I posted some pictures and questions here:

http://jstookey.dynodns.net/monitor/MonitorPower.html

Thanks for any help!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

tom61

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2017, 12:46:56 am
Re: How do I connect my monitor to the PS?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2002, 04:02:15 pm »
1) What do I attach to the isolation transformer? I assume that it would be 2 wires from the 3 Pin Connector on the power supply. I assume that it would be AC Line and AC Neutral, but I'm not sure.

You're right, or you can bypass it entirely if you won't be using the power supply for something else, and hook the iso tranfomer directly to the AC power cord.

2) Do I use the ground (pin 2 on the power supply's 3 pin connector) for anything?

Not for the monitor.  

3) Does polarity matter (see question #1)?

One of the reasons for an isolation transformer is so polarity doesn't matter. (without one, you could plug it in backwards and kill the monitor)

4) Is there some kind of an issue with load on the power supply? (I think that the fact is that if I plug in the power supply when the monitor's not attached, that's when I can damage the power supply.) Can I damage the power supply if I only attach a monitor to it?

That tap on the power supply pretty much goes directly to the AC plug, it'll be unloaded if you don't use it for other things (like 5V coin retrun lights).

5) Is there anything else that I'm not realizing that is important?

6) It seems to me like the power supply is just acting as a direct passthrough for the monitor power from the wall socket. It seems like I could just connect the isolation transformer directly to the wall socket, then the transformer to the monitor. Would that work Ok?

I could've saved time if I saw this question earlier. :( Yes, that's correct

6) If I didn't use the power supply (see question #5) for the monitor, then I wouldn't be able to use the power supply for other things - like lights and stuff because then I would damage the power supply. Is that correct?

see earlier

jerryjanis

• Offline Offline
  • Skate or Die!!!
    • Jake's Joystick
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2002, 08:55:49 pm »
Thanks!  My monitor is now powered up, and I'm trying to sort through other difficulties...  I really really appreciate the help!

jerryjanis

• Offline Offline
  • Skate or Die!!!
    • Jake's Joystick
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2002, 10:40:23 pm »
Holy stinking sweatballs!!!  This 25 inch bad boy started working!  I switched video cards - from some ATI Rage card of some sort to the nVidia Geforce 3, and I really can't believe how perfect everything looks...  I've got some speakers in the cab, (I just have to get stupid DOS to put sound into them), I've got the monitor displaying Street Fighter II (my cabinet's mothergame) as if it were the real thing.

I can't believe how great this message board has been to me, leading me through the process of getting this working.  I really didn't have any clue that using an arcade monitor would be so sweet.  Boy oh boy.  Oh boy oh boy.  Mmmm.