Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: G07 testing - What did I blow up?  (Read 2880 times)

8BitMonk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
G07 testing - What did I blow up?
« on: March 22, 2016, 09:57:13 am »
So I went to test the B+ on a G07 chassis I'm working on and in a totally boneheaded move accidentally clipped the ground onto the other end of the large white ceramic resistor rather than onto the metal frame and shorted it.  :banghead: 

Does anyone know exactly what this would take out? I'd like to replace only the damaged component if possible but not sure exactly which it would be or how to check. The picture is scrambled and the B+ reads way low now, 50v. Swapped in another G07 chassis and it works fine so I know the damage was limited to the chassis.

Appreciate any help or advice.
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

ed12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
Re: G07 testing - What did I blow up?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 11:32:19 am »
if your reading a b+ at all? means u shorted the requlator transistor,and or it's drives.
do u have the schmeatic ?

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 11:48:17 am »
Schematics here: http://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-monitors/Electrohome%20G07%2013in%20and%2019in%20Color%20Raster.pdf

So that's the regulator transistor that is on the side of frame right on the other side of the R902 ceramic resistor in the image below right?

Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 12:13:00 pm »
yes sir
and if u follow the schematic u will note a driver transistor. or 2
btw that req,depends on the suffix is ehiter 1 of 2 styles
a 3 pin
or a 2 pin
be careful

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 02:20:37 pm »
I don't know how to read schematics, where am I looking? Hoping I can just replace the voltage regulator, that seems to be an available part. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Ok, I just pulled up a little tutorial on reading schematics so I could better understand the symbology. I see the regulator on the left on the schematic (i have the 19" version) but not sure of the driver transistor you say it leads to or how that'd effect my repair.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 02:43:42 pm by 8BitMonk »

behrmr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 02:57:26 pm »
Looking at the schematic there are 2 transistors in that circuit X901 (2SC2688) and X902 (2SC1890) so probably test everything in the 900's.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 03:13:45 pm »
Looking at the schematic there are 2 transistors in that circuit X901 (2SC2688) and X902 (2SC1890) so probably test everything in the 900's.

Ok, that makes sense, I see the 901/902 transistors on the schematic. Do I need to check values or just continuity?

behrmr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 04:00:11 pm »
I would check to see if those transistors are shorted.  Use diode test (beep) for each leg to the other two.  If shorted then they are bad.  Not sure what the values of each of these specific NPN transistors are supposed to be. 

I didn't read all of the way back but also check your fuses F901 and F902.  If F901 is blown immediate discharge the B+ filter cap or you'll be in for a not so nice surprise.  I just short the + and - leads with a large screwdriver.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 04:37:35 pm »
diode chk the pair of drivers
what is the requlator # ?
as i said they came in 2 flavours

ed